HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
Man I loved 2-J's! Its been gone for years. They even served chicken fried steak, which was a mortal enemy of gastrointestinal tracts everywhere. The original 2J's was located on N Lamar across from Central Market, now the home of EZ's (an old pic of the 2J hangs inside).
I guess the following photos from The Portal to Texas History are of the original 2-J's on N. Lamar.

Exterior View - 1954

extra-large photo

People Working at 2-J Hamburgers - 1954

extra-large photo

People Working at 2-J Hamburgers - 1954

extra-large photo

People Waiting in Line at 2-J Hamburgers - 1954

extra-large photo

Exterior View 2-J Hamburgers - 1954

extra-large photo

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 3:27 AM

Bus & Streetcar photos from The Portal to Texas History (unless otherwise noted)

Capital Metro's Great-Grandmother - Austin's First Mass Transit - 1875 (From Austin Treasures - Online Exhibits from the Austin History Center

More info on the above photo:

Quote:
Mass transit first came to Austin in 1875 in the form of mule-drawn streetcars. The cheerful striped canvas awnings protected passengers from the elements while standing at 3rd and Congress. Inauspiciously, when the company's directors were taking an inaugural inspection tour and rounding the corner of Congress and 11th in front of the Capitol, the car left its tracks and turned over. Working with gravity, dignity took ten days to restore. There was a report on the Austin City Railroad after the first two days in operation.

"The receipts of the Austin City Railroad on Saturday and Sunday amounted to $116 - $43 on Saturday and $73 on Sunday. We understand that $20 a day pays all the incidental expenses of the road, so the flattering receipts of the first two business days of the road indicate that the enterprise will prove a paying investment…We look upon the Austin Street Railway as a great stimulator to the growth and prosperity of the city." Daily Democratic Statesman, January 19, 1875.

Austin Street Railway Company -Overturned Streetcar- 1913 From austinpostcard.com

Austin Street Railway Co. - 1915 From austinpostcard.com

More info on the above postcard:

Quote:
This view shows an electric streetcar of the Austin Street Railway Company that derailed on Dam Boulevard, now known as Lake Austin Blvd., when its track was washed out in the 1915 flood (04/23/1915). The front of the streetcar designates "Rio Grande Blind Inst" as a destination.

Capital Metro's Grandma. The Portal to Texas History says it's called the Austin Street Railway Co. but the buses just say Austin Transit Co.

Line of buses parked outside near tracks - 1940

extra-large photo

Austin Transit Bus headed for Country Club - 1940

extra-large photo

Man standing next to street car in front of house. There is another street car in the background.- 1940

extra-large photo

Looking at the extra large photo, it looks like it does say Austin Street Railway Company on the side. Was 1940 about the time Austin got rid of the streetcars and switched to buses?

Man standing in front of street car. Coca-cola sign in background - 1940

extra-large photo

Austin Street Railway 61 - date unknown (From Don's Rail Photos

Austin Street Railway #63 - date unknown (From Don's Rail Photos

Continental Trailways Bus System - 1952 - Exterior view of terminal at night with bus parked in front. In 1952 the Continental Trailways terminal was located at 1001 Congress Avenue.

extra-large photo

Nighttime view of exterior of the Continental Bus Center. The capitol is seen in the background. - 1952

extra-large photo

Continental Trailways Bus System - View of Waiting room - 1952

extra-large photo

Capital Metro's Mother

Bus Collision on Burnet Rd./Northland. Street scene with cars and bus. One car has collided with the rear end of the bus. - 1957

extra-large photo

Leaving for Washington at Administration Building. Group of students, teachers and bus driver beside bus. 5 students partially hanging out of bus windows. St. Edwards University Administration building in background. - 1959

extra-large photo

Last edited by LoneStarMike; Oct 16, 2009 at 3:46 AM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 4:22 AM
Meh

19 cent hamburgers.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 5:40 AM
passion for patterns

great pictures!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 7:49 AM

Thanks!

Rail & Depot photos from The Portal to Texas History (unless otherwise noted)

I. & G.N.R.R. Depot, (3rd & Congress) (early 1900's)
From austinpostcard.com

More info on the above postcard:

Quote:
The International and Great Northern Railroad was the second railroad to reach Austin. They completed the new line from Palestine to Austin in December of 1876. This depot was located at 3rd and Congress.

I & G N.R.R. Depot, Austin Texas - postmarked January 12, 1909
From austinpostcard.com

I & G N.R.R. Depot, Austin Texas - no postmark
From austinpostcard.com

H. & T.C.R.R. and M.K. & T.R.R. Depot, Austin, Texas (3rd & Congress) (early 1900's) - postmarked August 29, 1912
From austinpostcard.com

H. & T. C. Depot, Austin, Texas.- no postmark
From austinpostcard.com

H. & T.C. Depot, Austin, Texas (3rd & Congress) - no postmark
From austinpostcard.com

Photo of individuals gathered around the Freedom Train. Austin, Texas. - 1948

extra-large photo

Photo of back of train and Sam Wah cafe during during Harry Truman's Whistle Stop tour. Austin, Texas. - 1948

extra-large photo

Photo of President Harry Truman during his Whistle Stop campaign, crowd and staff of the train car. Austin, Texas - 1948

extra-large photo

Missouri-Pacific Lines - Depot Opening - exterior view - 1949 To me this looks more like a remodeled & renamed I. & G. N. R. R. Station at Congress & 3rd. Plus I don't think 1949 would be the right year because it's visible in the 1948 photos of Harry Truman's Whistle Stop Tour posted above and it looks like it was already open then.
[/b]

extra-large photo

Missouri-Pacific Lines - Depot Opening - Two men standing by railroad tracks. Tips Engine Works is in background. - 1949 This station looks like it was where the Amtrak Station is today. I recognize those buildings across from the tracks.

extra-large photo

Aerial view looking NW from about the north approach to Lamar bridge. At the lower right, RR tracks cross Lamar Blvd. - 1950

extra-large photo

I wonder when the original train station on N. Lamar was torn down, because that's definitely not the station that's there today.

March 6, 2009

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 9:39 AM

Airport and Aviation photos from The Portal to Texas History (unless otherwise noted)

Austin's First Municipal Airport
From Austin Treasures - Online Exhibits from the Austin History Center

More info on the above photo:

Quote:
Austin's first Municipal Airport was dedicated on October 14, 1930. The selection of the site for the facility was a much simpler process in the 1920s than it is today. After searching all of Travis County, the site selection committee, composed of Chamber of Commerce Manager Walter Long and civic leaders Max Bickler and Julian Baldwin, settled on a 190-acre cotton field. Its major attraction was proximity to the already established Austin Air Service. After receiving federal approval, City Council voted to purchase the recommended site. Council sentiment, however, favored the purchase of only 80 of the 190 available acres. Councilmember Dave Reed, perhaps more enthusiastic about the future of aviation than his colleagues, persuaded the Council to approve purchase of the entire 190 acres. An additional 150 acres on which the City held an option was included later.
"At that time the field had gravel runways and was equipped with a gasoline pump and a small office building on the northeast side. The agreement called for twenty-four hour service on the field. The major employee was Reagan B. Dickard, who was a pilot. Burck Smith was the other employee…The salaries ran on a monthly basis. The only profit was an occasional sale of a tank of gasoline. After a year's time and a $2,000 loss I resigned as manager." John D. Miller, First Airport Manager, quoted in Wings Over Austin.
Aerial View from a 1938 Directory
From Abandoned & Little Known Airfields

(The Abandoned & Little Known Airfields site has a lot of good info & numerous photos on Mueller and other airports in the Austin area, including a University Airport that was apparently owned by U.T.)

According to the above site, Braniff began the first passenger service in Austin on January 1, 1936.

Photo of a Braniff DC-4, the 1st DC-4 in Austin, Texas - 1946

extra-large photo

This next photo doesn't specifically say it was taken in Austin, but the holding partner for the photo is the Austin Public Library. I'm posting it anyway, 'cause I think it's hilarious. Check out the little boy in shorts on the left. That little outfit and pose is just too much. I was that same kid about 12 years later, only my outfit would have been a turtleneck, bell bottoms, a medallion, and one of those fringe leather suede vests.

Kids Boarding Plane. Kids wait with pilot, flight crew to board Trans-Texas Airlines - 1956

extra-large photo

According to the Abandoned & Little Known Airfield site, in 1956 the city extended Mueller's runway to 7,629' to accomodate jet traffic. The original site was expanded to 711 acres by acquiring adjoining land.

Robert Mueller Municipal Airport Terminal Under Construction

Robert Mueller Municipal Airport. Lester Palmer at dedication ceremony for new terminal - 1961
(From airportjournals.com

extra-large photo

The original "new terminal" only had a covered walkway (the airside pier) out to the planes from the central building with it's distinctive scalloped roof front. It was that way until the early 1970's.

Gate 2 - Robert Mueller Municipal Airport - 1961

extra-large photo

Customers wait in line at ticket counter at Mueller Airport - 1965

extra-large photo

Shot of customers, employees from behind the check-in counter at Mueller Airport - 1965

extra-large photo

Passengers and crew wave goodbye on the tarmac before departure at Mueller Airport - 1965

extra-large photo

Robert Mueller Municipal Airport - early 1960's
From austinpostcard.com

Control Tower - Robert Mueller Municipal Airport - early 1960's
From austinpostcard.com

While President Johnson was in office, Braniff ran 1 daily nonstop from Austin to Washington Dulles on a 727.

Robert Mueller Municipal Airport - early 1970's
From austinpostcard.com

In the early 1970's a second level was added over the airside pier and connected to the main terminal. A new sloping ramp was built connecting the main terminal with 6 upper-level gate holdrooms, all equipped with jetway loading bridges. God I remember walking up that sloping ramp to the gates when it was raining outside and seeing buckets everywhere and water stains on the ceiling towards the end. And the bluebonnets that hung upside down from the ceiling at the entrance to the ramp - does anyone remember those?

A 5-gate 'rotunda' was added to the end of the passenger pier in the early 1980s to accommodate the extra airlines that came in after dregulation in 1978.

Robert Mueller Municipal Airport - 1980's

In the mid-1980s, the city of Austin abandoned plans to construct a new terminal & parallel runway and instead began searching for a site to build a replacement airport. In the meantime, they approved a 'stopgap' bond package to allow for improvements at Mueller. Southwest, which had become the airport's largest carrier, opened its own 'unit terminal' in 1988. Known as the East Terminal, it featured 4 jetway-equipped gates & a single large departure lounge, constructed above new ticket counters & operations offices. The arrival & departure roadways were also widened & redesigned.

Aerial View - late 1990's

Aerial View in 2000 after Mueller's closure

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 7:11 PM

The footprint of the current Amtrak station looks pretty close to the aerial shown from 1950... the awning adjacent to the tracks is gone, but the station itself might have just been remodeled. There are definitely 2 different stations depicted in the "Missouri Pacific Depot Opening," so they must have at least some of those inaccurately labeled..

Aerial from a few years ago:
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...cl=1&encType=1

Birds eye of same:
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...7940&encType=1

I think those two men were standing just east of where that white van is in the above aerial. You can see the old buildings (Tips Engine Works) across the tracks, as well as the concrete base that the awning must have stood over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
Missouri-Pacific Lines - Depot Opening - Two men standing by railroad tracks. Tips Engine Works is in background. - 1949 This station looks like it was where the Amtrak Station is today. I recognize those buildings across from the tracks.

extra-large photo

Aerial view looking NW from about the north approach to Lamar bridge. At the lower right, RR tracks cross Lamar Blvd. - 1950

extra-large photo

I wonder when the original train station on N. Lamar was torn down, because that's definitely not the station that's there today.

March 6, 2009

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 9:28 PM

Quote:
:

b]Missouri-Pacific Lines - Depot Opening - exterior view - 1949[/b] To me this looks more like a remodeled & renamed I. & G. N. R. R. Station at Congress & 3rd. Plus I don't think 1949 would be the right year because it's visible in the 1948 photos of Harry Truman's Whistle Stop Tour posted above and it looks like it was already open then.
[/b]

extra-large photo

extra-large photo

extra-large photo

March 6, 2009
Missouri Pacific acquired the I&GNRR out of bankruptcy around 1949, hence the opening of the depot under the MOPAC banner. Shortly after, they built the new depot west of Lamar. I think it is the same building that is used by Amtrak today, but initially there was a canopy over the passenger platform that was later removed.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 10:31 PM

Great job guys. These are great finds. Let's keep it rolling... more historic photos!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 2:00 AM
Meh

It very well may be the same building. There are some luggage carts on the track side of the building just on the other side of this awning. They look quite old. At least 50 years old I'd say. They even have spoke wagon wheels. We used to go to the train station in the evenings and sit on those carts and talk and watch trains.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 5:06 AM

kinda off topic, but...

60 years old or not, I have got to say that is one of the crappiest railroad stations in the whole country, perhaps among the lamest ever built. Even for a city as small as Austin was 50 years ago. Heck, they could have just moved into the factory across the tracks (whenever it closed) and it would be 100X better. Not a bad location though, especially now.

I wonder how we got stuck with such a dud. Would be nice to remedy that, someday.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 10:12 AM

Well, after looking at the aerials from Bing.com posted by hookem, I guess it is the same station. And I agree it's a pretty pitiful station for a city of Austin's size.

I don't know how to post an image from books.google.com, but here's a link to a September 1985 advertisement in Texas Monthly for Lamar Financial Plaza - one of Austin's cancelled highrises. The project would have also included a Crowne Plaza Hotel.

I was working for Lamar Savings at the time and remember seeing the model in the lobby of the original downtown branch in the Brown Building.

More info from the Austin Chronicle in 1992

Quote:
Best Cursed Location: Site of Former Alamo Hotel

The Alamo was a low-cost high rise hotel in downtown Austin. It housed many homeless and low-income people. When Lamar Savings & Loan president Stanley Adams ordered the Alamo torn down in 1984 to make way for a new Lamar headquarters, Brother Tony Hearn, a homeless advocate, poured animal blood around the building and pronounced a curse of unprofitability. He rescinded it in 1986; nonetheless, since then, Lamar has failed and been taken over by the federal government, and Adams has been convicted of S&L crimes and is facing prison. Grass is growing high on the still-vacant tract.
Not sure why they refer to the Alamo Hotel as a highrise. I think it was only 5 stories.

An Extended StayAmerica now stands on the site of the former Alamo Hotel on the NW corner of Sixth & Guadalupe immediately north of the downtown post office.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 1:57 PM
passion for patterns

I've been reading the article (which is actually an advertisement) on Austin in that issue of Texas Monthly - it's an interesting read. Plenty of facts are interdispersed in the writing, and it seems to have pretty much predicted the future.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 2:39 PM

Wow, I hadn't even realized that the ad for Lamar Financial Plaza was part of a bigger special advertising section about Austin. (It starts on Page 85.)

Some things I noticed on other pages:

Page 86 - The gold tower that's now Chase Bank Tower still says American Bank on it and you can see the Hobby Building under construction on the far left.

Page 95 - Rendering shows the Four Seasons, One San Jacinto Tower and the never-built Two San Jacinto Tower.

Page 118 - Shows the rendering for the Radisson Plaza Hotel (Now the Omni)

Page 121 - Nice Skyline shot and you can see 816 Congress when it was all white before the makeover.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Wow, I hadn't even realized that the ad for Lamar Financial Plaza was part of a bigger special advertising section about Austin. (It starts on Page 85.)

From the rendering, it looks like the main tower was to be located where the Comerica building is, and the Alamo Hotel site was to be a parking structure or something.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 4:19 PM

I think you're right. I do remember Lamar Savings making a big deal about the project. It was even the cover of one of our employee newsletters - The Lamar Leader. We employees were very excited about the new building but things just kept getting delayed and delayed some more. I remember asking my boss one day what the holdup was and she said it had something to do with a skybridge over Guadalupe. At the time I thought the skybridge would connect the hotel and the main tower, but now that I think about it, I'll bet it would have connected the parking garage with the main tower.

It wasn't too long after this ad appeared in Texas Monthly (September 1985) that our CEO Stanley Adams, Jr. was forced out by federal regulators. His last day was December 31, 1985. There was some kind of arrangement where his three children - Hazel, Naomi and Stanley Adams III would be principal owners.

We limped along for another two and a half years before being shut down by the FSLIC and turned over to Southwest Savings of Dallas on May 18, 1988.

Here's something else I found in the September, 1986 issue of Texas Monthly called Shoot-out at First & Congress that has a photo of 100 Congress and One Congress Plaza under construction.

And check this out from Texas Monthly - June 1982. There's an ad and a rendering for a proposed residential project (two 21-story towers) on an island in Town Lake at the foot of the Congress Avenue Bridge called Watersmark

This one isn't even listed over at Emporis under the never-built category, unless I missed it.

Last edited by LoneStarMike; Oct 17, 2009 at 4:37 PM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2009, 6:10 PM
BANNED

I remember the Watersmark proposal. Can you imagine a developer today making a proposal like that? He would be run out of town. Even midrises along the shore face uphill battles nowadays.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 5:25 AM
Meh

Neat. I've never heard of that Island project. I'll have to add it to Emporis then. I'm willing to bet there's a lot of projects that had been proposed in the 70s and 80s that we've never heard of.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 9:00 AM
passion for patterns

To be fair, the rendering of the proposed "Watermark" building looked fairly good for contemporary standards. What's $200,000 in today's dollars?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I'm willing to bet there's a lot of projects that had been proposed in the 70s and 80s that we've never heard of.
Here's a project from the 1990's that I don't remember (sorry no photos or renderings) that was mentioned in a July 4, 2003 Austin Chronical article

Same as It Never Was
Some airports, forts, and boondoggles were never meant to be

It was called Capitol Town Center and it would have been built in the Robertson Hill area.

Quote:
A mall, a movie theatre, office space, and a hotel by both the interstate and downtown on a hilltop offering a postcard view of the city ... That was the Austin development dream of a California company in the late Eighties.

[...]

On June 21, 1991, Bennett Consolidated presented the plan to the city for the 1.2 million-square-foot development (which would make it larger than Highland Mall in terms of actual square feet). The company solicited input from East Austinites. Some welcomed the opportunity for new jobs and shopping. Others resented the idea of a megacomplex invading their residential area. The complex was to include: a 400-room hotel; 200,000 square feet of office space; 500,000 square feet for major anchor stores; 200,000 square feet of mall shops; and an eight-screen theatre.

The developers were shooting for a spring 1994 opening. The theatre could have been showing The Lion King and Forrest Gump. The development was big news for the desolate hillside that had been empty by this time for several years. The city gave permission, but only if construction began before July 1, 1993.

Not much seemed to be happening. One article in The Austin Chronicle said the city had sent a crew out to cut the overgrown weeds and billed Bennett Consolidated for the trouble. Then came July 1993. Construction had still not commenced. Some utilities were moved, but the city said that did not a construction project make. The property was finally sold in March 2000.
The above article also mentions Le Palestra at 1008 Baylor - the failed condo project directly beneath the TMI Castle.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin