HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 2:01 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I too think it will likely look pretty slick. But let me use this space to lament how little of the charming old mechanical and neon signs exist in Times Sq anymore. Everything is essentially an enormous programmable LED TV screen. It's bright - almost too bright. And it's boring.

Quote:
Get off my lawn with your fancy, smancy lights! Back in my day, we had proper lighting!

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/abraha...8651742698616/

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 2:07 AM
New Yorker for life

Comparison to some renderings...

https://s9architecture.com/onetimessquare

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 3:47 AM
Show me the blueprints

Earlier in my life I wanted to work for Artkraft Strauss. I think I drew up a resume but never actually applied. The way that industry has changed away from electromechanical to almost entirely digital I'm glad I didn't. I think I remember being sick to my stomach when they took the Coke bottle sign down. I also cried when Woolworths closed, so...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 3:51 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyr View Post
Back in the '80s, I took a wonderful tour led by Tama Starr*, Pres of the Artkraft-Strauss company, highlighting the 'Spectaculars' of Times Sq. as they called them..

We got to see their workshop (NEON fabrication!!) and the highlight for me was going up to the Coca-Cola sign. We passed a noisy room full of clacking relays and went out onto a little maintenance platform in front of the sign - and MAN - you could feel the heat radiating from the bulbs... Unforgettable!

*She's co-authored a fantastic book chronicling the pre-LED/video screens spectaculars of times Square from 1892 to 1998. It's called "Signs and Wonders - The Spectacular Marketing of America" Currency/Doubleday

I swear I just went to the previous page and read this AFTER I wrote the post above. Spooky. Awesome story though. I'm jealous.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I swear I just went to the previous page and read this AFTER I wrote the post above. Spooky. Awesome story though. I'm jealous.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 10:53 PM
New Yorker for life

https://nypost.com/2024/02/26/busine...fices-fill-up/

Times Square shines even brighter as ball-drop tower gets upgrade, offices fill up

By Steve Cuozzo
Feb. 26, 2024

Quote:
Times Square’s candle is burning brightly at both ends.

At the 42nd Street “Crossroads of the World,” the 30-story 3 Times Square is bouncing back from its near-empty state at the start of the pandemic.

A new law firm lease just brought the 30-story tower to 60% full, an impressive feat in a weak market.

Across the street, the formerly blank-faced (and mostly empty) ball-drop building known as 1 Times Square is being re-clad with top-to-bottom glass by owner Jamestown and transformed into a public-friendly museum and visitors’ center.

Meanwhile, at the north end of the bowtie, massive light installations on the new TSX Hilton Hotel tower and on the Edition hotel building across the street have turned the intersection of Broadway, Seventh Avenue and West 47th Street into perhaps the brightest corner in the world.

At 3 Times Square, joint-venture owners Rudin and Thomson Reuters just signed international law firm Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton, which is taking 27,667 square feet on the entire 28th floor.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 11:25 PM
New Yorker for life

March 13, 2024

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 3:47 PM
New Yorker for life

MARCH 22, 2024

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 1:17 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 3:22 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 1:18 AM
New Yorker for life

4/9/24

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development