HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 3:15 PM

Yes, Crystal Beach is a large vacation community that has lots of American owners. When I went through last summer it seemed like at least half the houses had NY plates parked out front. Crystal Beach is probably the nicest single beach on all of Lake Erie, so it's a very popular vacation spot.

The Lake Erie "cottages" are often more like small houses in beach towns though and rarely have direct lake frontages which is the typical "cottage" definition in the Toronto area.

When I think of cottage, I think of the thousands of lakes north of Toronto line with well treed, large private lots with small to massive vacation dwellings on them. Something like this:

https://kennisiscottagerentals.com/cleary-cottage/

A more typical Lake Erie "cottage" is more like a small dwelling on a quiet little street within a few minutes walk of a public beach, like these ones in Turkey Point, ON:

[IMG][/IMG]

To me these are more beach houses than cottages, more like something you would see lining the US east coast in the hundreds of little beach towns.

The north shore of Lake Erie is lined with little beach communities like this. The north side of the lake is generally cleaner and while the water can still be somewhat murky, the lake's shallow depth and southern location means it has a fairly lengthy swimming season compared to the other great lakes which are often consistently cold for the entire summer.

I swim in both Erie and Ontario every summer and Ontario is definitely "nicer" water, but the beaches are more limited in size, location, and niceness, and the water is consistantly cold other than maybe in late August in an unusually hot summer. Lake Erie comparatively has a solid 3 months of warm water and much nicer beaches.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
The “no cottages on Lake Erie” reaches Jacksonville level of preposterousness.
You made at least 5 posts mocking the comment but not one comment actually adding to the discussion. I think that might be considered trolling...

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 3:46 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

lakeside chautauqua, marblehead, oh

[img]https://www.zenlifeandtravel.com/wp-...2803998623.jpg[img]

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 3:49 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

beulah beach, oh

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 3:56 PM

I love the pearl clutching acting as if the coast of Lake Erie isn't one of the most urbanized lakefronts in the world, lol. How dare someone suggest that a lake surrounded by 20 million humans not have much of a rural cottage industry.

Last edited by iheartthed; Feb 17, 2023 at 4:18 PM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 4:13 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ oh but wait, there is much, much more rural ohio lake erie cottage life ...

mari-dor cottages, oh

more cottage communities west of vermilion

east of cleveland --
geneva on the lake

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I love the pearl clutching acting as if the coast of Lake Erie isn't one of the most urbanized lakefronts in the world, lol. How dare someone suggest that a lake surrounded by 20 million humans not have much of a rural cottage industry.
No one is acting that way at all.

So are we now saying that Lake Erie doesn't "have much of a rural cottage industry"? Because that's different.

Before it was "there are no cottages on Lake Erie".

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 4:30 PM

There is something that could pass for a rural cottage on the shore of the lake that Cleveland almost set ablaze. I stand corrected.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 4:38 PM

Quote:
You made at least 5 posts mocking the comment but not one comment actually adding to the discussion. I think that might be considered trolling...
Ok, here's my actual addition to the discussion.

Google.... "Lake Erie cottage"

If nothing comes up, then I guess you're correct that Lake Erie has no cottages.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 4:45 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:

If nothing comes up, then I guess you're correct that Lake Erie has no cottages.
yup, he could google that ... and ignore the actual visual evidence above.

sounds good.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 4:47 PM

Quote:

The heavily polluted and almost thoroughly urbanized shore of Lake Erie indeed has something that looks like a rural cottage. I stand corrected for even questioning that a heavily polluted lake might not be where someone wants to build a rural cottage.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 4:48 PM

I'll be staying in this cottage in Chautauqua County NY in August

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 4:50 PM

Quote:
I'll be staying in this cottage in Chautauqua County NY in August

That looks very nice. I'm happy that Cleveland didn't succeed in setting it all on fire.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 4:50 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
The heavily polluted and almost thoroughly urbanized shore of Lake Erie indeed has something that looks like a rural cottage. I stand corrected for even questioning that a heavily polluted lake might not be where someone wants to build a rural cottage.

meh, yr just weakly trolling away now. go vote trump.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 5:02 PM

Quote:
That looks very nice. I'm happy that Cleveland didn't succeed in setting it all on fire.
There are a lot like this in PA, NY, and NE OH and in Ontario from Buffalo to Long Point. That's the area I am familiar with.

I would not argue that the area has a comparable "rural cottage industry" to what is found in Michigan, because it's just a much smaller extent of shoreline for one, and like you said, the area is certainly much more urbanized.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 5:06 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
There are a lot like this in PA, NY, and NE OH and in Ontario from Buffalo to Long Point. That's the area I am familiar with.

I would not argue that the area has a comparable "rural cottage industry" to what is found in Michigan, because it's just a much smaller extent of shoreline for one, and like you said, the area is certainly much more urbanized.

much smaller indeed -- in that regard ohio is still shooting far above its weight in rural lake erie cottages despite urbanization.

Shoreline Mileage Of the United States
NOAA Office for Coastal Management coast.noaa.gov

MI 3,224

OH 312

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 5:09 PM

I'll happily kayak and swim in the "heavily polluted" waters of Lake Erie off of PA and NY many times this summer.

And one of the best things about this terribly awful water is that its temperature won't cause my nuts to shrivel up to the size of peas and my schlong to turn into a baby carrot.

Because the water will be 80+ degrees!

This photo is from the Erie County PA shoreline, where you can see the sandy lake floor 20 feet down through those disgustingly polluted Lake Erie waters.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 5:17 PM

^I'll also happily eat the Pickerel (I think it's called something else in the States?) and Perch from Lake Erie, a Great Lake so polluted that it's the only one to support a large-scale commercial fishery.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 5:24 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ yup -- pickeral is better known as walleye -- and port clinton is the walleye fishing capital of the world.

whats more interesting is the waterfront cottage history on each side of urbanized cleveland that still exists. as you go from vermilion toward cleveland the suburbs become wealthier and upscale housing and etc has pushed out the old cottages past lorain that once dotted the shoreline in the past, but there are some enclave and revamped cottage examples still left among the mcmansion housing, like these in sheffield lake and in avon lake:

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
^I'll also happily eat the Pickerel (I think it's called something else in the States?) and Perch from Lake Erie, a Great Lake so polluted that it's the only one to support a large-scale commercial fishery.

We call it Walleye in the States, but I let's just call it good eatin' !

Along with commercial fisheries, the charter fishing business thrives on Lake Erie... because you'll actually catch something!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions