HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 12:32 PM

Mask usage in Delaware is down to about 20-25% now, based on what I'm seeing around. All restrictions were lifted back on May 21.

I went to Cape Cod over the weekend. Mask usage seems to be around 10%. I also went to church while I was up there, and in church mask usage seems to be about 5%. Keep in mind that cape Cod is notoriously all old people and deeply Democrat.

Meanwhile, I stopped in Newport, Rhode Island on the way up. Newport seems to be stuck in 2020. I went into a tavern for a beer, and saw protocols that seemed appropriate for last summer. Mask usage was still mandatory, even for vaccinated people. I could not sit at the bar, but only at a table; but I needed a reservation beforehand, as well. Meanwhile, across the street, a dance class was doing their performance in an open area by a meetinghouse. The students had to wear masks, despite being outside and being up to 10 feet away from each other with this performance. Parents had to wear masks, despite being outside and being able to spread out across this entire park.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 1:13 PM

Hey us here in Ontario will be allowed to go shopping in stores again as of Friday, so things are looking up! Maybe, if our lord and savior Premier Ford is feeling generous, I might be able to get a haircut by July!

Did I mention that Canada now has lower COVID case rates than the US and the UK? And that a higher percentage of people have gotten at least one shot in Canada than any other G20 country?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Hey us here in Ontario will be allowed to go shopping in stores again as of Friday, so things are looking up! Maybe, if our lord and savior Premier Ford is feeling generous, I might be able to get a haircut by July!

Did I mention that Canada now has lower COVID case rates than the US and the UK? And that a higher percentage of people have gotten at least one shot in Canada than any other G20 country?
I'd been holding out for the past 3 months hoping I could get back to my barber soon but I finally just bit the bullet and got my dad to take the clippers to the back of my head. It's funny listening to people in Toronto talk about the underground haircutting scene. "Oh I have a guy, he'll come to your condo for $40 and cut your hair right over the sink!"

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 2:48 PM

I'm starting to get to the point where I really need a cut.. I should message my barber and see if he's doing stuff under the table or not.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 3:06 PM
Ex Houstonian

Why is Ontario being so ridiculous? Its nuts.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Why is Ontario being so ridiculous? Its nuts.
Very little excess ICU capacity, combined with our vaccine shipments being extremely delayed during the worst winter months of the virus. The province was a couple days worth of hospital admissions away from having to start a triage protocol and basically leaving certain people to die.

We were extremely behind the U.S. in getting vaccines. Our first dose numbers are among the highest now as we've pumped out 150,000+ per day for the last two months, but it takes time for that to be reflected in the hospitalization numbers.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 5:16 PM

Another high profile take on where we will settle on remote work post-pandemic - https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/07/sale...from-home.html

Take it as you will. I tend to agree with this level of thinking. People are going to go back to the office, but it won't be anywhere close to pre-pandemic, or will be of a different nature.

Doesn't mean "death of the city" - It just means a new dynamic cities will have to account for.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 5:37 PM

Do Canadians think that travel from the U.S. will be semi-normal by September?

Totally selfish reasons, but we need to be onsite in Toronto area to close a deal sometime after Labor Day, and starting to get anxious this won't be happening. It just can't happen remotely.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

Totally selfish reasons, but we need to be onsite in Toronto area to close a deal sometime after Labor Day, and starting to get anxious this won't be happening. It just can't happen remotely.
I saw something today that said Canada is eyeing June 22 to reopen the border.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 5:47 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:

I would expect that the border will be fully open by July. The federal government had previously hinted at opening the border once Canada reaches an eligible vaccination rate of 75% (we're now at 71%), and pressure is mounting from both sides of the border to open up.

Restrictions are expected to start easing as of June 22: https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...ictions-492111

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 5:47 PM

Quote:

Barring some extreme outlier scenario where we get back to hospitalizations in the 600+ range even with extensive vaccine coverage, I would be very surprised if business travel was still disrupted going into September. I imagine the government will want some sort of vaccination check but not sure how that's going to play out. Funny enough I'm in the process of seriously exploring an opportunity in our new NYC office, and I want to go check out potential living situations in the city by the end of the summer.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 7:47 PM

Quote:

If you are fully vaccinated yes.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 8:16 PM

I’ve come to the conclusion that as close to normal as London is getting, it won’t really be any fun to go out until the stupid 1-meter social distancing shit is over, and you can order drinks from a bar and walk around with them.

Right now there still has to be an available table, where you have to sit, with the person or people you came with, and there is no interaction with anyone else in the restaurant/pub/bar except the server who is apologising profusely for how lame it all is.

It might have actually been better last summer when you could order drinks “for takeaway” (to go) and then just stand around meeting and talking to people like it was a block party.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 8:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I’ve come to the conclusion that as close to normal as London is getting, it won’t really be any fun to go out until the stupid 1-meter social distancing shit is over, and you can order drinks from a bar and walk around with them.

Right now there still has to be an available table, where you have to sit, with the person or people you came with, and there is no interaction with anyone else in the restaurant/pub/bar except the server who is apologising profusely for how lame it all is.

It might have actually been better last summer when you could order drinks “for takeaway” (to go) and then just stand around meeting and talking to people like it was a block party.
Move to Florida, or even New York, traders are back on the floor of the NYSE!

England has a bad reputation when it comes to repressive stuff like this. Think about it, you have had Royals that decided to leave the Kingdom, I'm sure it's just a coincidence though.

Basically, what I'm saying is, quitya complaining and move to the US, stop being retarded (WSB verbiage, not sure if that's allowed here).

Last edited by Camelback; Jun 8, 2021 at 9:35 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 8:49 PM

Quote:

Better change by September because my AirBnB is all locked up for the month.....

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 9:27 PM
The City

Quote:

You can't order drinks at a bar and walk around with them??!!

BAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

London is lame. Like zero cases and they're still acting like clowns. Sorry, dude.

I've been to the bar 3 times in the past month, plus about 4 restaurants. No mask, did whatever the fuck I liked, and nobody cared.

It's because science saved us. I stride this world with confidence. Get out of that silly country and do the same

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 9:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
you can't order drinks at a bar and walk around with them??!!

baaahahahahahahahahaha!!

London is lame. Like zero cases and they're still acting like clowns. Sorry, dude.

I've been to the bar 3 times in the past month, plus about 4 restaurants. No mask, did whatever the fuck i liked, and nobody cared.

It's because science saved us. I stride this world with confidence. Get out of that silly country and do the same

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelback View Post
Move to Florida, or even New York, traders are back on the floor of the NYSE!

England has a bad reputation when it comes to repressive stuff like this. Think about it, you have had Royals that decided to leave the Kingdom, I'm sure it's just a coincidence though.

Basically, what I'm saying is, quitya complaining and move to the US, stop being retarded (WSB verbiage, not sure if that's allowed here).
I was in Miami from early February until late April. Spent a week in LA as a transition period but trust me, coming back to London felt like walking through the gates of a minimum security prison.

The only people in this country who are hospitalised with Covid are people (mostly older South Asians) who refuse to be vaccinated. It’s not our problem.

I am starting to just walk into places without a mask. The places that make a big stink about it, I just won’t patronise anymore. I’ve had both doses of Pfizer, and at least one case of Covid, before this btw.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 9:52 PM

The U.K. went from being Florida careless to Hawaii cautious lol.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 9:53 PM
The City

^ You know that they're being overly cautious when even ihearthed's starting to wonder what the hell is up

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions