HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
The neighborhood didn't block anything, but they tried to block the WalMart because they actually preferred VMU development (or so they said). Ultimately, WalMart downsized slightly, but I bet it had more to do with market economics than the neighborhood's wishes, because they had every right under the zoning to build the larger store. Is that what you meant?
They had zoning to build larger, but they also need a site plan and traffic plan. That's what Allandale fought them on.

https://www.kut.org/austin/2010-10-2...n-north-austin

The neighborhood succeeded in blocking a bigger store, blocked a parking garage, blocked 24/7 operations.

Now 15 years later, Northcross should be redeveloped even bigger and denser (though more transit oriented, again why we need frequent 323 to the orange).

So I meant what I said. The neighborhood blocked them, and claims to wanting VMU were bullshit (VMU in Austin circa 2007, even today, means parking garages and more vehicles unfortunately).

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Austin: Local Developer Proposing Vertical Condominium Project With 264-Units

Austin (Travis County) — An Austin developer received rezoning for a 264-unit condominium development, at the Planning Commission’s Tuesday session.

The property added a vertical designation to its mixed use (V-MU) zoning and had its conditional overlay removed.

The 2.41-acre property (104,979 SF), is located over two lots that face the south side of West Anderson Lane, between Burnet Road and Hardy Drive.

The site is best known for the Genuine Joe Coffeehouse. In total, there are five single-story office and retail buildings, with addresses from 2001-2013 W. Anderson Lane, currently occupying the real estate, along with associated surface parking.

Carl L. Evins with Evins Rental Properties, LLC owns the land through his entity Evins Investments, LP.

Evins is proposing to develop Anderson Lane Condos–a 264-unit vertical condominium project with 10 percent of the units reserved for tenants earning 80% of median family income.
I'm thrilled about the possibility of change for this corridor but this whole part is straight trash:

Quote:
Compatibility standards include a 25-foot setback for the building and height limits to 30-feet in the first 50-feet from the property line with single family residential and 40-foot building height limit in the first 100-feet.
25 foot setback??? What for? So the strip centers with parking lots in front don't feel bad about themselves? The whole sidewalk is in desparate need of shade on this road and pedestrian-friendly retail. Please let people build right.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 9:34 PM
Meh

The Texas Bankers Association office building looks to be starting demolition soon on their old building at 203 West 10th Street.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ng-austin.html
Texas Bankers Association moving ahead with HQ tower
Law firms, lobbyists and the like sought as tenants

By Parimal M. Rohit – Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal
May 27, 2021

Texas Bankers Association’s plan to demolish its headquarters near the Texas State Capitol and replace it with a nine-story office tower with about 100,000 square feet of leasable space is taking a significant step forward: groundbreaking for the commercial development is scheduled to take place June 3.

Demolition work on the existing two-story, 12,000-square-foot building at 203 W. 10th St. is scheduled to start shortly after dirt is moved. The building was constructed in 1977.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
I'm thrilled about the possibility of change for this corridor but this whole part is straight trash:

25 foot setback??? What for? So the strip centers with parking lots in front don't feel bad about themselves? The whole sidewalk is in desparate need of shade on this road and pedestrian-friendly retail. Please let people build right.
Great news. Perfect location for some vertical mixed use with mid rise residential. I guess mid-rise might be a stretch unless they can build higher than the 40 feet mentioned. Maybe someone can elaborate? Also, I agree that this project needs to be built up from the street (Anderson) as it might set a new standard for the immediate corridor which is most definitely not pedestrian friendly.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post

I _think_ that's the side/back setback from the SF. Not the front setback.

I think the biggest problem they'll have in front is the ASMP calls for Anderson to have 104' of RoW (currently only ~84). So they'll probably ask for the building to be set back 15 from the current front property line.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 10:27 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
I _think_ that's the side/back setback from the SF. Not the front setback.

I think the biggest problem they'll have in front is the ASMP calls for Anderson to have 104' of RoW (currently only ~84). So they'll probably ask for the building to be set back 15 from the current front property line.
I _know_ that this is the case. It’s from any shared property line with single family residential. It was part of the devil’s bargain in the corridor mixed-use plans to get increased density.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
The Texas Bankers Association office building looks to be starting demolition soon on their old building at 203 West 10th Street.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ng-austin.html
Texas Bankers Association moving ahead with HQ tower
Law firms, lobbyists and the like sought as tenants

By Parimal M. Rohit – Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal
May 27, 2021

Texas Bankers Association’s plan to demolish its headquarters near the Texas State Capitol and replace it with a nine-story office tower with about 100,000 square feet of leasable space is taking a significant step forward: groundbreaking for the commercial development is scheduled to take place June 3.

Demolition work on the existing two-story, 12,000-square-foot building at 203 W. 10th St. is scheduled to start shortly after dirt is moved. The building was constructed in 1977.
they already moved the big tree on the property.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 4:46 PM
Resident Moron

In defense of Allandale with the Walmart situation - that was a combination of NIMBYs and people who just didn't like Wallmart.

I'm not sure the coalition to stop this would be nearly as strong.

That part of town is a whole nother level of NIMBYism however. I used to live in Rosedale and I don't think there was a business they met that they didn't try and stop. From stupid restaurants next to HEB to le coq block. Like, literally anything going into that area was fought.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 6:53 PM

This warehouse at 5th & Neches is being converted to a public use per a permit filed today. Victories for the Arts like this are becoming rare downtown.

Quote:
Change of use from warehouse to assembly space for gatherings of 100+ people to visit our space and observe art/performance theatre/music.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...rtyrsn=5071849

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 7:26 PM

Wow, pretty cool Interested to see what that actually means in practice.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
This warehouse at 5th & Neches is being converted to a public use per a permit filed today. Victories for the Arts like this are becoming rare downtown.

I'll take the small victory!

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 8:38 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I'll take the small victory!
Agreed!

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Wow, pretty cool Interested to see what that actually means in practice.
According to the permit, "Change of use from warehouse to assembly space for gatherings of 100+ people to visit our space and observe art/performance theatre/music."

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post

At SXSW 2019 Sony demonstrated a 8K 440 inch crystal LED display in there which was so cool.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 3:58 PM
World Traveler

Couldn't find the thread for this as it's probably pretty buried in the pages, but Lake Shore Pearl Phase II is underway. I noticed on Google Earth's updated imagery of an expansion there and found this website to satisfy my curiosity. Looks to be a ground-floor parking with four stories on top. Finally building over that massive surface parking lot they had there.

https://wginc.com/projects/lakeshore-pearl-phase-ii/

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 6:23 PM

Help Make Housing Happen at Downtown Austin’s Historic Palm District

https://austin.towers.net/help-make-...palm-district/

The ongoing saga of downtown Austin’s historic Palm School site has found the next gear in the last few months, with the City of Austin announcing a new planning initiative in May for what it’s calling the Palm District — a large and sort of poorly-defined area encompassing the Palm School’s approximately 2.08-acre site, the adjacent Palm Park, the Rainey Street District, the Austin Convention Center, the Red River Cultural District, and what we’re calling the “Innovation District” along I-35 in downtown’s east end. You can see the whole thing in the diagram below:

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 3:57 PM

Zilker Park’s Renovated Cafe Seeks Beer and Wine Sales at Barton Springs

https://austin.towers.net/zilker-par...arton-springs/

The historic Zilker Cafe concessions stand, a mainstay of Austin’s beloved Barton Springs Pool since the 1960s, completed a long-awaited renovation project this year after closing “in shambles” back in 2016. With this enhanced snack hub expected to reopen soon, the City of Austin hopes to bring the park something new: legal booze.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 1:17 AM

Block 36

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Block 36

Love this shot! What a view those apartments will be.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 3:34 AM
クラブトクヨ

Wow what apartment are those??

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin