HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Are you a child?

All that would mean is extremely high room rates, and then you'd be complaining about that.

Economics 101. Take it.
It could also mean no development.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 1:32 AM

For those wanting the PDF of the presentation...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2007.26.16.pdf

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 6:59 PM

navy pier hotel

I strongly dislike the design of the proposed hotel. What is there now works well with the beautiful ballroom building at the end of the pier. It isn't cloying post-modernism, it is just attractively massed with materials that fit in. But this hotel design is ultra bland contemporary schlock that is the same as 80% of what has gone up everywhere else in the last 20 years, and doesn't fit with the ballroom at all.

Build this and you lose some of the charm of navy pier for the Iowans and everyone else.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 8:15 PM
Chicagoland Runaway

Thanks for posting the presentation, BVic.

Dunno, I like probably 95% of the proposed renovations to the pier as presented...the only aspect I'm not so sure of was that hideous attempt at a 'flyover' at the eastern edge of the pier. I've seen the same renderings of it before, but they should really give some more thought to the design. I suppose the overarching walkway is okay design-wise, but why put a reflecting pool in? The pier is surrounded by water...unless they are considering one of those water cannons a la Centennial Fountain on the river. Would be nice on one of those classic 90+ degree summer days.

Last edited by Kippis; Sep 18, 2016 at 8:17 PM. Reason: minor word swap

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 4:12 AM
TL;DR

^ The reflecting pool has an infinity edge. It's designed to make you feel like you're at the water's edge, even though you're 8'-10' above mean lake level and 15'-20' away from the physical edge of the pier.

Hopefully the designers do some mockups to fine tune the illusion...

src

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 3:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Are you a child?

All that would mean is extremely high room rates, and then you'd be complaining about that.

Economics 101. Take it.
I would EXPECT high room rates at such a place.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 3:45 PM

According to this report, it appears the city and McPier were secretly funneling TIF money from McCormick hotel project to the Navy Pier one. Seems pretty fishy.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...s-to-navy-pier

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 4:01 PM
The City

Stay classy, Chicago politicians

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 4:08 PM

Quote:

Are you a child?

Economics 101. Take it.
Good.

Do it well or don't do it at all. Don't mar public spaces so that it's affordable to families of tourists from Iowa.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Good.

Do it well or don't do it at all. Don't mar public spaces so that it's affordable to families of tourists from Iowa.
Families of tourists from Iowa are probably 90% of who cares about Navy Pier. Though, I agree that a happy medium has to be found.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 7:17 PM
Development Shill

The main thing I still do love Navy Pier for are the unique views of the city one can get from it without having to own a boat. Also, IMAX because i'm a sucker for that

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 8:17 PM

In Defense of Navy Pier

I live in River North and have gotten to enjoy Navy Pier for the past year as more and more of it have opened up. The renovations have really improved the south side of the Pier and made it a far better experience.

It's not as crowded as it once was though it is full of people. There are rows of trees to shade yourself on a sunny day. Getting a margarita and taking a stroll down the pier is a nice way to spend a lazy weekend afternoon. The vistas of the city are worth the walk alone. The local restaurants and shops they have added in and outside are vast improvements. I went out to Rainbow Cone last weekend just to experience the south side institution's signature offering. It was great! And the new park space and theater have great views both east and west. It's a very nice space and a great addition. The landscaping has changed the whole entryway into a walk through a park rather than a walk through a drive-through.

Now, it still has the tourist trap vibe. That will probably never change. But it's not as bad as the old adage, "true Chicagoans never go to Navy Pier." Also, the shifting of funds intended for disadvantaged communities is a real shame. McPier should be able to survive without such sleight of hand.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
I live in River North and have gotten to enjoy Navy Pier for the past year as more and more of it have opened up. The renovations have really improved the south side of the Pier and made it a far better experience.

It's not as crowded as it once was though it is full of people. There are rows of trees to shade yourself on a sunny day. Getting a margarita and taking a stroll down the pier is a nice way to spend a lazy weekend afternoon. The vistas of the city are worth the walk alone. The local restaurants and shops they have added in and outside are vast improvements. I went out to Rainbow Cone last weekend just to experience the south side institution's signature offering. It was great! And the new park space and theater have great views both east and west. It's a very nice space and a great addition. The landscaping has changed the whole entryway into a walk through a park rather than a walk through a drive-through.

Now, it still has the tourist trap vibe. That will probably never change. But it's not as bad as the old adage, "true Chicagoans never go to Navy Pier." Also, the shifting of funds intended for disadvantaged communities is a real shame. McPier should be able to survive without such sleight of hand.
I'd actually like to check it out. I have a co-worker in NY who grew up in New Jersey but has a good amount of family in the Chicago area. He hadn't been to Chicago in 5+ years and visited a few weeks ago. He mentioned being shocked at how nice parts of Navy Pier are now (and downtown of course) and way different than what he had remembered from the last time he visited Navy Pier maybe a decade ago.

Side note to all of this - he liked Chicago this time around so much and how it had changed since he'd been there last that now he wants to move from NY to Chicago. Now he's kind of sounding like people on here "I don't understand why so many people want to live in NYC when Chicago offers much of the same stuff for half the price"

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 10:03 PM

Anyone ever been to Granville Island in Vancouver? I was just there last week for the first time. Great spot there. Navy Pier is much bigger, but a food market like Granville would do well at Navy Pier. I think that Chicagoans would go.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 2:13 PM

What's going on at Navy Pier? Anyone checked it out lately?

They were apparently starting work on the new hotel last year with a target 2019 delivery. I think they were supposed to be redoing the entry forum, too.

Anyone got updates?

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/10/2...avy-pier-hotel

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIII View Post
I ran by there over the weekend and there didn't seem to be any signs of activity re: a new hotel.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 3:56 PM
The City

Is Mark Hunt the developer behind the Navy Pier hotel as well?

Amazing how these nitwits can let winter go to waste like this

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIII View Post

They were apparently starting work on the new hotel last year with a target 2019 delivery. I think they were supposed to be redoing the entry forum, too.

Anyone got updates?

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/10/2...avy-pier-hotel
I believe they're renovating the entry forum now, set to re-open by Memorial Day or so.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 8:11 PM

The hotel is supposed to open here on Monday according to Google. It is called Sable and is part of the Curio Collection from Hilton.

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/chi...-pier-chicago/

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 1:03 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The hotel is supposed to open here on Monday according to Google. It is called Sable and is part of the Curio Collection from Hilton.

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/chi...-pier-chicago/
Holy crap, that's quite nice!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development