HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
nonsense.

its anybody else who should be picking up their charity game, not the usa.

i dk about last year, no doubt it was much more given the dire circumstances, but we do know the usa provided well over $330M in charity to central america and mexico in 2021. no one else has even come close to that:

The United States is the largest single donor of humanitarian aid in Central America and Mexico and to asylum seekers, refugees, and vulnerable migrants in the region.

https://www.state.gov/the-united-sta...ca-and-mexico/

and obviously its much, much more than that instate with almost 3M new immigrants last year here and needing support.

you really should be ashamed of yourself for those widely off base remarks.
I was not talking about charity.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Sugar cane was very valuable back then, hence France's desire to keep St-Domingue (Haiti), Martinique and Guadeloupe.
Not just sugar cane. St Domingue was also the largest producer of indigo dye and coffee in the world. It was the Saudi Arabia cum Qatar cum UAE of those days.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
There was a movement by the characters who pushed southern secession to expand the Confederacy into the Caribbean and Mexico - to basically claim all of the Mexican territory that the previously united United States let the Mexicans keep after the Mexican-American War, plus Cuba and whatever other islands could be taken.

Had this actually taken place, there would have been an attempt to push English upon Mexico and Cuba, but enough Spanish-speakers would have moved to the Confederacy that the area would have developed a much different English dialect than the one it's known for today. There was also the whole Protestant vs. Catholic thing, so it would have been a mess.
Cuba was still very much under Spanish control during the Civil War, so that would not have ever happened. Spain was a much more powerful country than the U.S. at that time, and MUCH more powerful than the Confederacy.

Mexico was independent from Spain by then, so I'm not sure why they would've wanted to join the Confederacy. I also highly doubt that the Confederacy was ever strong enough to force Mexico into the Confederacy. Mexico would've quickly aligned with the Union and put that down.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 8:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i dk why given what seems to be the other perspective. whenever i asked my french friends what they think of the french over here in quebec to a letter they laugh and say, “french hillbillies.” i don’t think that is very nice, and frankly i thought better of them than acting like brits, but chalk it up to general euro elitist attitudes silliness.
You probably don't want to know what they say to us about you guys!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Cuba was still very much under Spanish control during the Civil War, so that would not have ever happened. Spain was a much more powerful country than the U.S. at that time, and MUCH more powerful than the Confederacy.

Mexico was independent from Spain by then, so I'm not sure why they would've wanted to join the Confederacy. I also highly doubt that the Confederacy was ever strong enough to force Mexico into the Confederacy. Mexico would've quickly aligned with the Union and put that down.
Google is getting worse these days - it links mostly to junk instead of real articles. Here is one pop article on the subject:
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...-latin-america

I took a political science class in the south...the professor was southern but spent a lot of time razzing the confederacy. Some of the students were borderline crying. If a yankee had said the exact same things I fear they would have taken up arms.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 8:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
All of us?
Everyone who's alive today, for sure. If the United States had never evolved into what it became, there would have been no counter to the simultaneous rise of fascism and communism. The globe has been much more stable since 1945 than it was for hundreds of years prior.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brisavoine View Post
It's also leading to a major clash between Québec and the federal government at some point. That sort of level of immigration is not sustainable for Québec, as it will drown the Francophones in a sea of non-Francophone immigrants. It's comparable to the 19th century at this point (except back then the Québécois fertility rate was very high, whereas today it is very low, so they cannot expect to keep a distinct Francophone culture if 20 or 30 million immigrants arrive in Canada).
Quebec already controls most of its immigration and mostly chooses francophones to immigrate.
and non - francophones usually learn french because you basically can not have a proper career in Quebec without knowing french.
What friction is there between Quebec and the Federal government?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 8:47 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brisavoine View Post
It's also leading to a major clash between Québec and the federal government at some point. That sort of level of immigration is not sustainable for Québec, as it will drown the Francophones in a sea of non-Francophone immigrants. It's comparable to the 19th century at this point (except back then the Québécois fertility rate was very high, whereas today it is very low, so they cannot expect to keep a distinct Francophone culture if 20 or 30 million immigrants arrive in Canada).

Most immigrants to Quebec are French-speaking or are at least more likely to use French than English in day-to-day life though (it'd be an odd choice for an English-speaking immigrant to the one part of the country where they don't speak the language!). Even in the face of sustained levels of high immigration in recent years, the French language hasn't really diminished in either its usage or its institutional dominance.

The global Francophonie is certainly a large enough pool to draw from, with no shortage of prospective emigrants from France's various former colonies who'd be happy to move to Quebec - not to mention the French themselves, which are today one of the largest immigrant groups in the province.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
Quebec already controls most of its immigration.
1) No it doesn’t. Most immigrants nowadays come illegally through Roxham Rd.

2) If you’re paying so little attention that you have to ask that, you’re not worth engaging on the topic. (At worst I’ll link you to another recent SSP post, and that’ll be it)

Edit: I’ll spare 30 seconds for you.

- Healthcare transfers
- Immigration controls
- Helping pay for Roxham refugees (separate matter from inexistent border security)
- Bill 21
- Bill 96
- Single tax return
- and minor stuff like appoint a GG who can’t read nor speak, etc.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Most immigrants to Quebec are French-speaking or are at least more likely to use French than English in day-to-day life though (it'd be an odd choice for an English-speaking immigrant to the one part of the country where they don't speak the language!).
That choice is much more common than you’d think. I guess mostly due to Van/TO rents and property prices — the most convincing factor.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 10:22 PM

Does anyone here know anything about this area? It appears that there are no border controls whatsoever:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...g%2F11bc8_pq9b

A younger brother of one of my friends was banned from entering Canada due to his criminal record in the United States but he successfully walked off a Greyhound bus around the checkpoint in North Dakota and then hitchhiked to his girlfriend's house in Alberta. This was around 2005. They're married now and have three kids. I should have asked him if he's allowed in Canada now or if he still can't go up there.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Canada might be getting even more people with the tech industry layoffs. Many people on H1b visas attempt to migrate to Canada because they can get a quicker path to permanent residency than in the U.S.
I could see that's happening.

Last edited by SFBruin; Mar 24, 2023 at 10:42 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
"Tu as vraiment une jolie bouche!"
(Pardon my poor French. Lamentably, I dropped out in Grade 9.)

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 10:52 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
Is growth for growth's sake good for a country?
It's not but that's not what's happening. There are loads of compelling reasons why Canada wants high levels of immigration and NONE of them are about growth for growth's sake.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 11:10 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Does anyone here know anything about this area? It appears that there are no border controls whatsoever:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...g%2F11bc8_pq9b

A younger brother of one of my friends was banned from entering Canada due to his criminal record in the United States but he successfully walked off a Greyhound bus around the checkpoint in North Dakota and then hitchhiked to his girlfriend's house in Alberta. This was around 2005. They're married now and have three kids. I should have asked him if he's allowed in Canada now or if he still can't go up there.

That's a Mohawk First Nation which has territory across in both nations. As I understand it, there's a treaty that provides band members with unrestricted access across the border there.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
That's a Mohawk First Nation which has territory across in both nations. As I understand it, there's a treaty that provides band members with unrestricted access across the border there.
...oh I've actually heard about this. These people were weren't pushed out of the area by Americans or Canadians, but the border by chance happened to go right through their area.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 2:12 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

No the road jmecklenborg is talking about is not through Mohawk territory. It is the road Lio is talking about and until midnight tonight it is a sieve.

There are other places where the border crosses Mohawk territory but these are not popular illegal crossings.

In terms of illegal entry into Canada it is all about Roxham.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 2:50 AM

Actually, you can tell jmecklenborg first searched for Roxham Road on Google Maps, but then moved himself his screen to Akwesasne/St. Regis, and that's what he linked to, so I'm assuming he is talking about the latter (and MonkeyRonin answered right: it's an Indian Reservation that straddles the border, and no, you can't use it to conveniently smuggle stuff unless you're Indian).

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
The friction of Québec being 20% of Canada to Québec being 10% of Canada. It's not sustainable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions