HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 1:14 PM
BANNED

So something really shady is happening at City Hall right now. On day two of the City Council budget debate, councillor Landon Mohl and what I believe is the deputy city clerk, were speaking and laughing during a tearful testimony by a delegate from SOFIA House, Regina’s home for domestic abuse victims, which was covered by Global. And now today, it seems like the recordings of both days of City Council have been removed from Access Communication's Youtube channel. This, despite the links still being on the Meeting Portal and past recordings still there. If this isn't an example of a cover up, I don't know what is. What a shameful, embarrassing time for Regina right now.

Update: apparently one of the delegates shared personal details and asked for the video to be removed. That part of the video is going to be muted and then it will be re-uploaded. It still doesn't explain why all three videos were removed. For meetings like this, it should be expected that whatever you say and do at City Council will become public domain.

Last edited by djforsberg; Dec 21, 2022 at 3:30 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 4:33 PM

I realize homelessness is a complex and stubborn problem, but the latest emergency homeless shelter that the City is touting seems like a fail to me. $1 million to house 40 individuals in cubicles for a few months? There has to be a better way. I don't know what it is though.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 4:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I realize homelessness is a complex and stubborn problem, but the latest emergency homeless shelter that the City is touting seems like a fail to me. $1 million to house 40 individuals in cubicles for a few months? There has to be a better way. I don't know what it is though.
Literally housing them in the way that works best for them (some prefer to be on their own, some prefer to be with family, others prefer to be around friends) and offering them individualized wrap-around supports (some need addiction and/or mental health treatment, some need support to learn basic life skills, others need job training, some need help being physically active, etc) is the cheapest and most effective way. But we tend to not want to put responsibility on individuals to the community for ideological reasons, despite humans literally being dependent on each other since we came to existence.

Edit: that's the reacting to it part, however. Preventing this from getting worse is a whole other discussion (which I would love to get into )

Last edited by djforsberg; Jan 27, 2023 at 5:17 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 7:24 PM
BANNED

Here's an entertaining but thorough, progressive perspective on the housing problem in the US and potential solutions that we could learn from for our own housing problems we are facing.

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 7:42 PM

Proposed 6-storey, 38-unit residential building - 1222 15th Avenue (by the General Hospital and Malty National)

https://www.regina.ca/export/sites/R...24_Website.pdf

Current building

Last edited by one_brick_at_a_time; Apr 21, 2023 at 11:35 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 7:58 PM
BANNED

Density. Love it. More of this, please.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Reposting here*

Proposed 6-storey, 38-unit residential building - 1222 15th Avenue (by the General Hospital and Malty National)

https://www.regina.ca/export/sites/R...24_Website.pdf

Current building

Yes, much more of this on the periphery of downtown. I'm also looking forward to the build at College and Broad. Is this one on 15th rental or condo?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
Yes, much more of this on the periphery of downtown. I'm also looking forward to the build at College and Broad. Is this one on 15th rental or condo?
I understand its a Market Rental.

The one at College and Broad is a Seniors Rental.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstart View Post
I understand its a Market Rental.

The one at College and Broad is a Seniors Rental.
Downtown condos are very depressed right now. Meanwhile rental rates are increasing as interest rates discourage buying.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Downtown condos are very depressed right now. Meanwhile rental rates are increasing as interest rates discourage buying.
Agreed. Downtown Condos have been depressed for quite some time.

I was having a conversation last week and someone had mentioned the vacancy rate in Regina had dropped I want to say 3 or 4%?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstart View Post
Agreed. Downtown Condos have been depressed for quite some time.

I was having a conversation last week and someone had mentioned the vacancy rate in Regina had dropped I want to say 3 or 4%?
3.2% (A drop from 7% in 2021)

Regina, Saskatoon rental vacancy rates hit lowest levels since 2014: CMHC

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
Hi All!

I'm just reaching out after seeing some of the great and supportive comments!

Arwel Living is a new urban based rental housing provider with a focus on the urban communities across the Prairies. Our initial focus is in Regina and if this is successful we have plans for several other throughout the City. (Our branding and website will be up in the next couple weeks! I'll share that when it is live)

So to answer your question, this is a rental building. Predominantly 2-3 Bedroom Units with 4 Brownstone style Townhomes fronting 15th Avenue.

In all that being said we would encourage you to make submit comments of support through the City Portal to ensure overall support at Regina Planning Commission and City Council!

We thank you for the great comments and support thus far!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 5:14 PM

I love everything about the building design. I work at the hospital. Would love to have a modern apartment to choose from instead of the beat up stuff that is available.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwelLiving View Post
Hi All!

Arwel Living is a new urban based rental housing provider with a focus on the urban communities across the Prairies. Our initial focus is in Regina and if this is successful we have plans for several other throughout the City. (Our branding and website will be up in the next couple weeks! I'll share that when it is live)

So to answer your question, this is a rental building. Predominantly 2-3 Bedroom Units with 4 Brownstone style Townhomes fronting 15th Avenue.

In all that being said we would encourage you to make submit comments of support through the City Portal to ensure overall support at Regina Planning Commission and City Council!

AMAZING! Hopefully some projects directly in the downtown core as we all know there is so much land and potential. Crossing fingers and I did already support comment on the city portal .

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Hi All!

Good stuff. I wish you success.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Hi All!

All good , is there a website

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
All good , is there a website
It will be live in the next week. I'll post when it is!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 10:31 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
It will be live in the next week. I'll post when it is!
Best of luck! Love the project.
There is a lack of developers in Regina who do "urban" multi-family - condos or rental. Great to see your group taking this on - and looking forward to seeing the website!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Hi All!

Fantastic! More of this please!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 6:09 PM

Does anybody have the link to the proposed rentals on College and Broad? Somebody said they thought they were to be seniors apartments but I don't recall ever reading that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan