HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 9:56 PM
BANNED

I really don’t think much needs to change in regards to transportation for any of the location options. This arena is going to be 10,000 seats. There’s already a 33,000 stadium near downtown, and many other events at REAL far exceed 10k. Downtown would actually be even better since it’s literally at the crossroads of most major Regina roads, save for the Lewvan tho Sask Dr is already planned for a widening all the way to Vic Ave. As for parking, something like 2/3rds of the surface area of downtown is parking. Plus there’s always the bus.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
I really don’t think much needs to change in regards to transportation for any of the location options. This arena is going to be 10,000 seats. There’s already a 33,000 stadium near downtown, and many other events at REAL far exceed 10k. Downtown would actually be even better since it’s literally at the crossroads of most major Regina roads, save for the Lewvan tho Sask Dr is already planned for a widening all the way to Vic Ave. As for parking, something like 2/3rds of the surface area of downtown is parking. Plus there’s always the bus.
Agreed!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2022, 3:11 PM

---

Last edited by jigglysquishy; Jun 29, 2023 at 7:25 PM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2022, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Rose and 11th is the perfect location.

Most vacant block downtown.

Access to Broad directly.

Across from a parkade.

Immense infill opportunity around.

No heritage buildings demolished.

Ample restaurants around.

Ideal transit access.

It's the single best option in the city. Any other location will be viewed as a failure for generations.
Ok. So playing devils advocate...

Wouldn't the perfect location be where...
-there is ample surface parking with NO parking structures required in order to accommodate parking,
-there is an existing arena aka existing various infrastructure already in place,
-there is an existing exhibition center,
-there is an existing Stadium,
- the land is CITY owned which then negates the need to negotiate with a private land owner
- there is NO road/traffic infrastructure re-routing or re-configuring

My humble opinion...speaking from an urban planning/design standpoint building on the Ex-Taylor field location and encouraging development on the West side of downtown makes a helluva lot more sense between the restaurants/bars/relationship with Cathederal and the fact a grocery store doesn't become an immediate necessity as there is one 3 blocks down 13th from Albert. The east side of the downtown core is a lot grungier, takes a lot more to get people to be excited about living Downtown.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2022, 5:25 PM
BANNED

The old Taylor field site makes absolutely no sense. It’s a disadvantaged residential community and an arena there would not help it nor would it be attractive to potential event-goers.

It also doesn’t make sense to build another arena where one already exists.

It also doesn’t make sense to have the arena away from a density of restaurants and pubs. It might make sense to walk from Mosaic Stadium for after-game activities after football games on mostly warm-weather games. It is not the case for Pats games, most of which are in winter.

If we want to improve the night life of the downtown, we need entertainment options that bring people there like an arena would.

Last edited by djforsberg; Oct 16, 2022 at 5:48 PM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2022, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
The old Taylor field site makes absolutely no sense. It’s a disadvantaged residential community and an arena there would not help it nor would it be attractive to potential event-goers.

It also doesn’t make sense to build another arena where one already exists.

It also doesn’t make sense to have the arena away from a density of restaurants and pubs. It might make sense to walk from Mosaic Stadium for after-game activities after football games on mostly warm-weather games. It is not the case for Pats games, most of which are in winter.
Ok. So if it doesn't make sense to build a hockey arena where an existing one is...what is the point in building a hockey arena? I thought the point of building an new Arena was to increase capacity...from 6,500 to 10,000 or some people seem to think 15,000...

Just as a point of interest the largest arena outside of Vancouver is in Victoria at 7,500. This Arena attracts all the biggest names from Elton John on down...

So if it isn't Taylor Field, for reasons which seem to be trumpeted to build an Arena Downtown where there is no infrastructure and exponentially more costs is to revitalize and spurn growth what would happen if an Arena was built at Taylor Field...wouldn't that spurn growth and change in the neighborhood? And on the premise the neighborhood is too rough? Than Railyards. knock a few million off the cost of the land. knock a few million off the build cost to say the least.

As for building a new arena at REAL, if the purpose of a new arena is to drive economic growth, better concerts, better events etc, wouldn't building an Arena where all the infrastructure is already in place? I mean keeping in mind as it stands there is not public money jumping at this to build an arena. 133 Million was the cost of MTS Centre in Winnipeg with a NHL Team kicking up 93 Million of the costs, the balance being funded by Fed/Prov/Muni. At a capacity of just over 16,000...the Population of Winnipeg is 750,000...

Why does Regina at CMA of round 250,000 population need a 12,000-15,000 Seat Arena for the Pats? When the Pats were acquired from the Parker Family in 2014 for 7.5 Million the Winnipeg Jets were worth 358 Million...today? the Jets are worth 575 Million If its for concerts and shows? Save on Food Memorial Arena in Victoria which is 7,500 Seat Arena and one of the largest arenas outside of Vancouver in BC with a CMA Population of shy of 400,000...brings in some of the biggest names in Arts and Entertainment...

I'm really failing to see why Regina needs an Arena comparable to Winnipeg or other Cities with populations 3,4,5 times that of Reginas with NHL Teams...And before we compare to Saskatoon SaskTel Place started out much smaller and was expanded to its current capacity a far different business case. a 8000-10000 Seat Arena with future expandability in a location part of a large facility in close proximity to Downtown would make the most fiscal, business, and economic sense with shuttle or increased transit access to Downtown. An arena won't spur Condos being built in Downtown Regina...

Old Posted Oct 16, 2022, 6:23 PM

---

Last edited by jigglysquishy; Jun 29, 2023 at 7:25 PM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2022, 7:04 PM

I wouldn't expect a ton of spinoff developments from a new arena. Nobody is going to knock up a 40-storey condo tower so people can live across the street from the Pats. Realistic best case maybe a hotel, a modest condo/apartment building and some offices with a few restaurants at the base. Not a lot, but enough to put some shine on Broad. Anything more than that would probably have to be heavily subsidized (e.g., Edmonton). But building at the Taylor Field site or at the current location site would probably preclude even that from happening... I wouldn't expect anything in terms of spinoffs from those sites.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2022, 7:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstart View Post
Ok. So if it doesn't make sense to build a hockey arena where an existing one is...what is the point in building a hockey arena? I thought the point of building an new Arena was to increase capacity...from 6,500 to 10,000 or some people seem to think 15,000...

Just as a point of interest the largest arena outside of Vancouver is in Victoria at 7,500. This Arena attracts all the biggest names from Elton John on down...

So if it isn't Taylor Field, for reasons which seem to be trumpeted to build an Arena Downtown where there is no infrastructure and exponentially more costs is to revitalize and spurn growth what would happen if an Arena was built at Taylor Field...wouldn't that spurn growth and change in the neighborhood? And on the premise the neighborhood is too rough? Than Railyards. knock a few million off the cost of the land. knock a few million off the build cost to say the least.
I thought you said you were an urban planning enthusiast? You must not understand the neighbourhood or the goal of a new arena as they are diametrically opposed. You aren’t going to revitalize a poor residential neighborhood with an arena. The people living there isn’t all of sudden going to be lifted out of poverty with the presence of an arena placed on their front steps. The only reason mosaic stadium was there in the first place was because it was built like 80 years ago. Even if gentrification, which displaces low income residents, was something politically possible, and not wholly immoral, it would make no sense to do it in this neighbourhood, as opposed to east of Broad or the Warehouse District.

Quote:
As for building a new arena at REAL, if the purpose of a new arena is to drive economic growth, better concerts, better events etc, wouldn't building an Arena where all the infrastructure is already in place? I mean keeping in mind as it stands there is not public money jumping at this to build an arena. 133 Million was the cost of MTS Centre in Winnipeg with a NHL Team kicking up 93 Million of the costs, the balance being funded by Fed/Prov/Muni. At a capacity of just over 16,000...the Population of Winnipeg is 750,000...
The point is to create an entertainment district with shopping, restaurants and pubs. The idea of doing that at REAL when we have a struggling downtown with these kind of businesses is ludicrous.

Quote:
Why does Regina at CMA of round 250,000 population need a 12,000-15,000 Seat Arena for the Pats? When the Pats were acquired from the Parker Family in 2014 for 7.5 Million the Winnipeg Jets were worth 358 Million...today? the Jets are worth 575 Million If its for concerts and shows? Save on Food Memorial Arena in Victoria which is 7,500 Seat Arena and one of the largest arenas outside of Vancouver in BC with a CMA Population of shy of 400,000...brings in some of the biggest names in Arts and Entertainment...

I'm really failing to see why Regina needs an Arena comparable to Winnipeg or other Cities with populations 3,4,5 times that of Reginas with NHL Teams...And before we compare to Saskatoon SaskTel Place started out much smaller and was expanded to its current capacity a far different business case. a 8000-10000 Seat Arena with future expandability in a location part of a large facility in close proximity to Downtown would make the most fiscal, business, and economic sense with shuttle or increased transit access to Downtown. An arena won't spur Condos being built in Downtown Regina...
I don’t know what you’re talking about. You’re all over the place. They are planning on building a 10k arena so events stop skipping us while at the same time spurring some economic developments. Downtown is clearly the best place to do this.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2022, 9:00 PM

A new arena downtown isn't a silver bullet.

But it will lead to new restaurants and shops. It will lead to a new hotel. It will lead to better transit access. It might even get us a new apartment building.

We need more reasons for people to come downtown. And an arena is a great promoter

Old Posted Oct 16, 2022, 9:35 PM

Quote:

But it will lead to new restaurants and shops. It will lead to a new hotel. It will lead to better transit access. It might even get us a new apartment building.

We need more reasons for people to come downtown. And an arena is a great promoter
Yeah... if it has to go somewhere, it might as well go downtown. And there is certainly room for it.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2022, 10:14 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:

I agree with this. Generally, politicians need to stop looking for the "quick win" for downtown revitalization. It doesn't exist. An arena doesn't do it, a convention centre wouldn't do it, better parking doesn't do it, and so on. Revitalizing a downtown happens by bringing as many uses and functions downtown as possible. One layered on top of another. Our downtown struggles because it does one function really great (office) and a range of other functions pretty poorly (retail, entertainment, housing).

If my end goal was downtown revitalization, I could find a better way to allocate $100 - $200M than on an arena. However, if an arena is coming, it should be downtown as that makes the most sense for potential/possible impacts it may have.

All that being said - the proposed location is awful. Tearing down the types of activities and buildings we want downtown in hopes that a new arena might lead to construction of the types of buildings and uses that were just torn down. Makes one's head spin. The Catalyst Committee should open up and dust off the underutilized land study to find a more suitable location that could use something like this...

Last edited by CCF; Oct 16, 2022 at 10:46 PM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2022, 10:16 PM
BANNED

Agreed with the above. Plus one of my favourite restaurants is the Cure so it’s personal

Old Posted Oct 17, 2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
The whole downtown core is the embarrassment of Canada , I don’t think one major new building has been built there in the last ten years , they keep using the excuse we have to study the study that’s been studied , where do these ////// Councillors come from
A good comparable downtown I think is Sudbury. I wonder if they have any strategies that could be used by Regina for their own rejuvenation.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
I agree with this. Generally, politicians need to stop looking for the "quick win" for downtown revitalization. It doesn't exist. An arena doesn't do it, a convention centre wouldn't do it, better parking doesn't do it, and so on. Revitalizing a downtown happens by bringing as many uses and functions downtown as possible. One layered on top of another. Our downtown struggles because it does one function really great (office) and a range of other functions pretty poorly (retail, entertainment, housing).

If my end goal was downtown revitalization, I could find a better way to allocate $100 - $200M than on an arena. However, if an arena is coming, it should be downtown as that makes the most sense for potential/possible impacts it may have.

All that being said - the proposed location is awful. Tearing down the types of activities and buildings we want downtown in hopes that a new arena might lead to construction of the types of buildings and uses that were just torn down. Makes one's head spin. The Catalyst Committee should open up and dust off the underutilized land study to find a more suitable location that could use something like this...
I agree with all of this, and have been telling councillors, city admin, and the arena/catalyst committee as such for years.

Same with advocating for Broad/Rose & 11th Ave as the ideal location for a new arena, if it is a must have.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2022, 3:46 PM
arf

Well this mornings walk was interupted with two guys jumping out of a truck to confront one of the homeless about stealing boots.

So much screaming, swearing and threatening.

No one wants to be downtown if they don't have to be there. Council should work on fixing the broken social structure. The rest might actually take care of itself.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 17, 2022, 4:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Well this mornings walk was interupted with two guys jumping out of a truck to confront one of the homeless about stealing boots.

So much screaming, swearing and threatening.

No one wants to be downtown if they don't have to be there. Council should work on fixing the broken social structure. The rest might actually take care of itself.
As much as I agree, the city doesn’t have the resources or funds to do it. The province does but they would prefer to avoid any kind of responsibility for the province’s most vulnerable. All the city can do is treat it like a crime problem and let me spoil the result if we avoid treating it as a health and economic problem: things will only get worse. That being said, this is a problem all over North America and parts of Europe, especially the UK. People can scoff all they want but what we are witnessing is the rapid decline of the predominant neoliberal capitalist economic system of the West, and the Saskatchewan government is fully on board with continuing to try and make it work (mostly with privatization (outsourcing of medical procedures and other general public operations), de-regulation (provincial autonomy white paper) and austerity (no significant funding for addictions treatment and harm reduction, insufficient budget increases for education)). For anyone interested, Bill Burr had a great layman’s take on this (warning: language).

Last edited by djforsberg; Oct 17, 2022 at 5:25 PM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2022, 5:06 PM
I am the law!

Development from arenas/ stadium are grossly embellished to make the public input more palatable. I wouldn't count on apartments or hotels without further public investment or preexisting interest.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2022, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Development from arenas/ stadium are grossly embellished to make the public input more palatable. I wouldn't count on apartments or hotels without further public investment or preexisting interest.
Precisely. An arena is NOT a Catalyst to new housing/hotels etc etc.

100 Mill - 200 Mill would go a lot further with other investments for revitalizing downtown Regina.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2022, 5:26 PM

I would consider the arena itself to be the improvement to downtown Regina. You can probably expect a hotel and a couple of restaurants to go with it and that's fine. Maybe an apartment building and/or an office, that would make it a home run. But I'd keep expectations in check.

I mean, look at Moose Jaw. They built a huge and spectacular (relative to the city's size) downtown arena and while the main drag has probably benefitted a bit from it, the side streets adjacent to the arena are still downright barren. There is only so much that an arena can do on its own. That's not to say it isn't worth building as a civic amenity, but unless you're talking some MSG or Crypto.com-level arena, it won't transform the area single-handedly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan