HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 2:05 PM

I think after River/Assiniboine the next pedestrian bridge should be between Old St. Vital/ Riverview. Those neighbourhoods are SO close together, yet you have to go into downtown or all the way to Fermor to get across. Then U of M/South St. Vital after.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I think after River/Assiniboine the next pedestrian bridge should be between Old St. Vital/ Riverview. Those neighbourhoods are SO close together, yet you have to go into downtown or all the way to Fermor to get across. Then U of M/South St. Vital after.
IMO more important would be to connect the Fort Rouge rapid transit stop to pembina, which would open up the whole neighbourhood between Pembina/Stafford/Grant to Transit-Oriented-Residential, and even encourage more businesses on Pembina.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 3:35 PM

If the east corridor of RT followed the rail line and not provenche a bridge would be needed over the red and could easily have a pedestrian bridge component.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlemer View Post
IMO more important would be to connect the Fort Rouge rapid transit stop to pembina, which would open up the whole neighbourhood between Pembina/Stafford/Grant to Transit-Oriented-Residential, and even encourage more businesses on Pembina.
I agree that would be great, I thought we were just talking river crossings. And with proper pedestrian/cyclist crossings under the Pembina Underpass now, and a station right there, this is likely very far away. They should have only built one station in Fort Rouge Yards, and put some of that extra money to a ped bridge (not that it'd cover the whole thing).

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 4:09 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
U of M is hard because people don’t want their streets turned into a U of M/IGF free parking lot.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
U of M is hard because people don’t want their streets turned into a U of M/IGF free parking lot.
Parking wouldn't have to be an issue, it would be no different than other residential areas close to campus... the City could just implement a two hour weekday parking restriction and that would be that.

As far as IGF events go, a bit of traffic for a dozen or so large events a year (I wouldn't count Valour in that total) wouldn't make much of a difference.

I could see illegal rooming houses becoming a concern for the area... although is that even a pressing problem anymore now that we're finally starting to see the development of more student-oriented housing on and around campus? Fort Richmond was a bit of a hotspot for that sort of thing, but I haven't heard much about it in the news lately.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Parking wouldn't have to be an issue, it would be no different than other residential areas close to campus... the City could just implement a two hour weekday parking restriction and that would be that.

As far as IGF events go, a bit of traffic for a dozen or so large events a year (I wouldn't count Valour in that total) wouldn't make much of a difference.

I could see illegal rooming houses becoming a concern for the area... although is that even a pressing problem anymore now that we're finally starting to see the development of more student-oriented housing on and around campus? Fort Richmond was a bit of a hotspot for that sort of thing, but I haven't heard much about it in the news lately.
Ya, I think the 12 IGF events a year would be a fine trade off most residents would love in exchange for a direct AT connection to U of M.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 5:33 PM

Proof from Vancouver that metal cladding can be nice when used properly – just need varying depths and colour, not just a flat wall of black.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 6:55 PM

Definitely agree with everyone and dislike the black ugly siding. Affordable building material but agree with buzzg in that it could use some variety in colour/depth

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 12:53 PM

It looks like a bunch of shipping containers stacked together, I don't particularly like that design.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 4:32 PM
Ignore these four words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
It looks like a bunch of shipping containers stacked together, I don't particularly like that design.
Same, that was my first thought.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 5:04 PM

Does anybody know where Great West Metal will be relocating to?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Proof from Vancouver that metal cladding can be nice when used properly – just need varying depths and colour, not just a flat wall of black.

reminded me of 147 Provencher, colour wise not sure what the material is.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 5:29 PM
What could go wrong?

This is the first thing that came to my mind...to me it reminds me of a sci-fy projects type development

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 9:22 PM

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 9:30 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:

At one time that is what we had the Elm Park Bridge for.

Also, I'm an advocate for connecting with McGillivrary with Fermor, as they are straight-line between Ft. Garry and St. Vital.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Also, I'm an advocate for connecting with McGillivrary with Fermor, as they are straight-line between Ft. Garry and St. Vital.
Even though something like that would be an improvement to the road network, it's pretty well unfathomable now since that would mean pushing a busy high traffic regional street through a fairly quiet, mature residential neighbourhood.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
On paper I 100% agree with you, however mid winter if youre wanting to get over to the ice wall in Whittier park from the main population centre on Waterfront, thats a bit of a hike (not impossible at all but people are lazy when its cold).

Allowing the population on Waterfront (and the exchange in general) to have easier access to a park would solve the endless "green space" argument we seem to have...

That said, you are right that a ped bridge over the Red would be a very costly thing... It would be a pretty big financial commitment by the city.
If it's winter can't they just... walk across the river...?

If there's some "ice wall" there, surely the easiest solution is just to, well, build away around/over/through said wall?

We're forgetting how expensive a pedestrian only bridge is... but it seems that the ped bridge on beside provencher could have been incorporated into the vehicle bridge, and a ped bridge build at Waterfront.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello View Post
Definitely agree with everyone and dislike the black ugly siding. Affordable building material but agree with buzzg in that it could use some variety in colour/depth
??

I think the Great West Life proposal, though black, is much nicer. Those colours are not appealing... ever seen a person wear bright red and bright orange together? Doesn't match anywhere.

In any case, attractive metal cladding has been pulled off a ton of times and certainly can be done again.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 8:10 PM

Esplanade Riel is like the Cadillac of ped bridges for Winnipeg. A more basic bridge is less costly. Should be able to get an idea from the Assiniboine ped bridge proposal. That one doesn't include any river piers though.

Specific to the Whittier Park thing. There's a big rock climbing thing there. In winter it's ice climbing.. There is no ice wall to walk around. And yes you could just walk across the river. But that's not the point. In summer do you swim?

Winnipeg should have a core pathway network that is paved and be lighted the entire length. maybe this is part of it, maybe not. Since we have no idea because there is no plan, maybe that would be a start.

Back on the topic of metal cladding. We'll see what is actually installed and how it turns out..

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 2:05 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the eslinad was only 12million or somthing to build

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan