HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Good to see some movement on this. I know aesthetics are a very personal taste, but IMO, good riddance. I have never really liked that soviet-gulag architectural style that was the darling of some architects for a while. I was also hugely relived to see the old airport terminal come down. Of course, that's all just IMO!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 9:48 PM
There is always a way

Didnt mind the old airport terminal but the PSB is godawful.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 11:47 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
So there will be affordable housing there? What exactly does that mean? Subsidized housing controlled by Manitoba housing? Seems like a weird place to put affordable housing.
I think it means the units will be priced at average market level, unlike something very premium like True North Square and 300 Main.
I believe the aim here is to make the place attractive for living: good environment and reasonable price. It’s a good place to live in, it can be inspiring every morning waking up to see the Chinatown and the rest of Exchange.

Last edited by EspionNoir; Dec 3, 2018 at 12:00 AM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 8:04 AM
keep the good times going

Maybe an unpopular opinion... But I'm actually going to miss the public safety building...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 12:18 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
Maybe an unpopular opinion... But I'm actually going to miss the public safety building...
Me too. It is part of the character of the city and a symbol of the incredible era of change that was the 1960s.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
I was looking at it today. Really too bad the PSB couldn't be put to use. The parkade on the other hand I will not miss. Horrible use of the land.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
So there will be affordable housing there? What exactly does that mean? Subsidized housing controlled by Manitoba housing? Seems like a weird place to put affordable housing.
This is a fantastic location for affordable housing. Central which means good access to transit and amenities, necessities. Opens up lots of job opportunities, very close to several colleges and U of W.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 2:14 PM
What could go wrong?

All the Market Lands images are on the WFP site today. I have a busy morning and can't load the renderings. Some good looking proposals.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
All the Market Lands images are on the WFP site today. I have a busy morning and can't load the renderings. Some good looking proposals.
It's been a while since we've had a good public design competition downtown...

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...502038821.html

It's hard to form a solid impression based on the couple of pictures of each proposal in the article, but on that somewhat superficial level I like the Dialog one best. The Saucier + Perotte is interesting but the renderings only reveal a small perspective of the proposal.

Have plans for the northern part of the block been nailed down? The proposals all show more or less the same thing on that parcel.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 2:38 PM
What could go wrong?

Here is a compilation shot from CentreVenture Twitter

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 2:53 PM

I love the lower-left hand side proposal the best, but it's difficult to see how it aligns with RRCC and other buildings in the area. The "market" portion of the proposal looks very attractive, and expandable during summer months. I can see a vision like this being inspiring a lot of people who may not have been too interested in the project before.

The "Adobe Spark" image next to it is okay, but a rather bland version of the one to the left of it, IMO. Easier to see how it aligns with RRCC..

Upper right is a pretty uninspiring image, so difficult to comment. Upper middle is like lower right to me...okay, but a bit "meh".

The upper left image looks like an aztec temple. Wonder who gets their heart ripped out first??

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 3:45 PM
There is always a way

I rank it similarly 1. BL 2. BR 3. TC 4. TL 5. TR

The two in the top corners are especially uninspiring although it could have to do with the render quality. The bes market option should win out, which is clearly bottom left. Bottom right has potential, it kind of reminds me of parts of Berlin, but isn't as integrated as it should be.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 5:23 PM
BANNED

Bottom right looks like ghetto housing (slabs).

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 5:39 PM
Ignore these four words.

The more I look at the top left, the more I like it. Just need to get past the choice of colours in the render. Second choice would be bottom left, third - bottom right, fourth - top centre and top right.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 5:57 PM
keep the good times going

In the article one of the plans labels the council chambers as "Winnipeg water and waste department"

https://flic.kr/p/2aCvAP9

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 6:33 PM
the first stamp is free

Bottom left or top right would be my choices, in that order.

Middle top immediately reminded me of the Quest Inn on Ellice.

1x1 really needs to invest in a higher quality rendering software. It's a case of "one of these things just doesn't belong" when surrounded by the other proposals.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 7:03 PM

Quote:
It's down to the final five
Special jury to decide among proposals for development of former PSB site
By: Kevin Rollason | Posted: 12/6/2018 3:00 AM

The former headquarters for the Winnipeg Police Service and an adjacent parkade will soon have in its place affordable housing, a market hall and public art.

The 2.4-acre downtown site, now known as Market Lands, will be one step closer from vision to reality, when proposals from five shortlisted architectural and design teams are presented to a special jury at an event Friday evening at the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.

City of Winnipeg arm’s-length agency CentreVenture Development Corp. will unveil the five shortlisted designs for the site, which include affordable housing and a creative hub that features space for arts organizations, galleries, outdoor public art and a public market to incubate new, creative businesses.

The public will have a chance — albeit a quick one — to put forward thoughts on the proposals, by taking part in an online survey at marketlands.ca that will go live Friday around 5 a.m.

Angela Mathieson, president and chief executive officer of CentreVenture, said Wednesday the jury will make its selection on or before Dec. 14.

"(The proposals) are all based on the principles which came to us during the (earlier) public consultation," Mathieson said. "The visions we’ve adopted conform to the public use."

Of the designs, only one is by a Winnipeg firm (1x1 Architecture Inc.). The firm, which was the architect behind the St. Vital Park Pavilion, has teamed up with dRMM and LDA Design of London, England.

One of the highlighted proposals comes from Dialog — which has studios in several cities, including San Francisco, Vancouver and Toronto — teamed with Jenifer Papararo, a public art consultant who is also the executive director of Winnipeg’s Plug In Institute of Contemporary Art.

Other firms vying for the contract are Montreal-based Daoust Lestage, Toronto-based Dtah, and Montreal-based Saucier and Perrotte, in partnership with Gustafson Guthrie Nichol of Seattle.

Mathieson said except for 1x1, none of the firms have previously developed projects in Winnipeg.

The jury includes Mathieson, John Kiernan (City of Winnipeg director of planning, property and development), Annitta Stenning (president and CEO of the CancerCare Manitoba Foundation) and Alan Tate (head of the department of landscape architecture at the University of Manitoba).

Mathieson said they hope once a design is chosen, they can take it to city council for approval and begin moving towards construction. She said the former Public Safety Building and the long-closed Civic Centre Parkade will be demolished by the end of 2019, and construction could start in 2020.

There has been almost two years of public consultation and planning to get to this stage of the project, she said.

"This is a critical step, picking the design and the team that will bring the project to reality," Mathieson said.

"There has been tremendous interest in the project, and many groups are getting on board to be part of this exciting opportunity to redefine an important part of the Exchange District. We expect the Market Lands to become another go-to destination in Winnipeg."
The Finalists
DESIGN COMPETITION PROPOSALS: http://www.centreventure.com/market-...gn-competition

1. 1x1 Architecture Inc.
Concept Statement: https://storage.googleapis.com/wzuku...0Statement.pdf
Design board: https://storage.googleapis.com/wzuku...bxj1nt/1X1.pdf

2. Dialog
Design board: https://storage.googleapis.com/wzuku...IqB/Dialog.pdf

3. Daoust Lestage
Design board: https://storage.googleapis.com/wzuku...%20Lestage.pdf

4. Dtah
Design board:https://storage.googleapis.com/wzuku...compressed.pdf

5. Saucier and Perrotte
Design board: https://storage.googleapis.com/wzuku...20Perrotte.pdf

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Dec 6, 2018 at 11:34 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 7:09 PM
Winnipeg

All these designs are cutting edge imo. No long until the final choice selection!

I think some of the designs probably should put some more consideration into Winnipeg’s winter, but they are nice anyways. I can’t imagine how much such development is gonna transform the place..

It’s interesting that back in 1966 PSB was considered as the design of future. The fact that we are gonna overturn this “design of the future” just makes the project a even more milestone one. In this sense the chosen design should also be “the design of future”.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
1x1 really needs to invest in a higher quality rendering software. It's a case of "one of these things just doesn't belong" when surrounded by the other proposals.
Very true. Their design is actually pretty intriguing when you look at it closely, but the rendering does a bad job of helping the viewer envision how it will look.

1x1 clearly needs to call up Ray Wan for a rendering studio hookup.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 7:24 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's been a while since we've had a good public design competition downtown...

It's hard to form a solid impression based on the couple of pictures of each proposal in the article, but on that somewhat superficial level I like the Dialog one best. The Saucier + Perotte is interesting but the renderings only reveal a small perspective of the proposal.

Have plans for the northern part of the block been nailed down? The proposals all show more or less the same thing on that parcel.
What was the last prominent downtown design competition? I don’t know about the 60s and 70s, but the one I can definitely remember was for the Manitoba Legislative, and the winner was awarded $100,000 if I remember it right (according to inflation that’s around 1 million today)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan