HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 5:30 PM
There is always a way

Does anyone remember when the flights to chicago and denver used to depart and how many times a day?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Does anyone remember when the flights to chicago and denver used to depart and how many times a day?
I don't remember the specifics in terms of times, but I believe there were three departures a day to Chicago, but only one to Denver. All on tiny regional jets.

Both were fairly popular with businesspeople, much the same way that the MSP one is now.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 5:50 PM
What could go wrong?

I believe one of the Chicago flights departed around 8 or 9 am. I seem to remember the few times we went we were always there around 10 or 11 am.

The Denver flight may have been in the afternoon.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 5:55 PM

^ Yeah, that's right. I only did the DEN flight once and I recall it was midday.

I took the 12:33 departure to ORD a few times but I took mid-day and evening flights to YWG from ORD. I'm fairly certain there was a morning one but I never took it (not an early riser, haha).

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 7:08 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I don't remember the specifics in terms of times, but I believe there were three departures a day to Chicago, but only one to Denver. All on tiny regional jets.

Both were fairly popular with businesspeople, much the same way that the MSP one is now.
Those regional jets are not the most comfortable, but super handy to get the multiple departures a day. If ORD was like 3x daily one earlier morning, one midday, and one evening, that would be ideal.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 8:01 PM

^ That's basically what it was before the pandemic. I'm pretty sure it was 3x a day on some of the smallest, crappiest planes in the United Express fleet with the 2+1 seating that used to freeze up and were rendered inoperable by cold winter weather.

I find it weird that no one has stepped in to cover that route if UA is unwilling/unable to do so.

Those were the days...

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 8:11 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Those regional jets are not the most comfortable, but super handy to get the multiple departures a day. If ORD was like 3x daily one earlier morning, one midday, and one evening, that would be ideal.
I am 6'-3" and I find the 2+2 seating in the newer RJ's is noticeably roomier and more comfortable as compared to a 3+3 seating 737.

The part that sucks is the overhead bin storage is a lot less in the RJ's.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 8:17 PM

There are RJs and there are RJs. Those old Embraer models are super cramped. I'm 6'2" and I feel like I'm in a sardine can in those when in an economy seat. But the new A220 is way more comfortable, even in econ.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 8:26 PM
What could go wrong?

May have been small, but I sure enjoyed the 3 times a day frequency. Made for lots of options.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 8:43 PM

^ Yes, very true. It's not a long flight to Chicago!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 9:31 PM

Quote:
It's funny, I booked my March trip to LAX just before the WS nonstop was announced and I was lamenting my luck, but now I think I'm OK with just connecting in YYC instead of having to get up extra early in the morning to deal with that f-cluster situation.
Our original winter vacay plans had us flying Delta to MSP and then on to Mexico, but they changed the times for the flights to give us only a 35 minute connection in MSP. We cancelled and got a great deal with Westjet flying through YVR. Overnight connections but we're fine with that. Used Airmiles for an airport area hotel with a shuttle. After hearing all the problems at YWG with those morning flights I'm even happier.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 3:43 PM

Question for you Winnipeg people. My wife and I are flying from Regina to Orlando in a couple of weeks, and we are making a stop at YWG. Our flight is supposed to arrive around 12:50 and our flight to Orlando is supposed to leave at 3:40. From what I can tell, we will have to leave the secured area, grab our bags, go through US pre-clearance, and then security again to get to the US gates. My question is what options for food is there after security at the US gates? We want to grab a sandwich or burger, but it looks like that Urban Crave is closed, and the Tim's is only a grab and go type place. I guess I am asking for a recommendation for food at YWG taking into consideration of our timing of arrival and departure.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
Question for you Winnipeg people. My wife and I are flying from Regina to Orlando in a couple of weeks, and we are making a stop at YWG. Our flight is supposed to arrive around 12:50 and our flight to Orlando is supposed to leave at 3:40. From what I can tell, we will have to leave the secured area, grab our bags, go through US pre-clearance, and then security again to get to the US gates. My question is what options for food is there after security at the US gates? We want to grab a sandwich or burger, but it looks like that Urban Crave is closed, and the Tim's is only a grab and go type place. I guess I am asking for a recommendation for food at YWG taking into consideration of our timing of arrival and departure.
Options are still diminished post-pandemic. The Tim's on the transborder side is basically a coffee and donuts only type of place.

In the pre-clearance area you can eat at a full service Tim Hortons, Root 98 (which I've never eaten at but looks nice, i.e. it isn't just fast food) and Pizza Pizza.

Within walking distance there is the Lakeview Hotel across the street which has Blue Marble. Again, I haven't been there but it looks like it's fine dining or fine dining-adjacent. There is also a sports bar which could be good for burgers and nachos, that type of thing.

Anything beyond that and you have to take a bus/taxi/uber. But I'm not sure you will have enough time for that, as the closest cluster of options is 10 minutes away at Polo Park. I guess you could also grab something from the domestic secure area on arrival as there are some more food options there, although that means your bag will be going around and around on the carousel while you eat.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 7:33 PM

Quote:
There are RJs and there are RJs. Those old Embraer models are super cramped. I'm 6'2" and I feel like I'm in a sardine can in those when in an economy seat. But the new A220 is way more comfortable, even in econ.
Those A220's are really nice - the Air Canada ones at least are roomy. Big windows too. Feels like a mini 787.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 7:45 PM

Quote:
In the pre-clearance area you can eat at a full service Tim Hortons, Root 98 (which I've never eaten at but looks nice, i.e. it isn't just fast food) and Pizza Pizza.
I've eaten at Root 98. The food was decent:

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...YWG-Root98.pdf

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 7:59 PM

Checked out the new on-site Royal Aviation of Western Canada over the holidays. What a difference from the old location. Previously, it was mostly just a collection of old airplanes, with little context provided. Now the emphasis is on storytelling about the people, places and the planes.

We arrived at YWG at night and I found it quite striking to look at the windows on the leading edge of the museum showing the lit up displays within. Once in the museum on a later date, I was intrigued to find that the spot against those windows was for issues dealing with Residential Schools and related issues.

The only criticism I can think of is that there should be more interactive displays, however, that can come with time.

Last edited by DavefromSt.Vital; Jan 10, 2023 at 8:15 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Options are still diminished post-pandemic. The Tim's on the transborder side is basically a coffee and donuts only type of place.

Within walking distance there is the Lakeview Hotel across the street which has Blue Marble. Again, I haven't been there but it looks like it's fine dining or fine dining-adjacent. There is also a sports bar which could be good for burgers and nachos, that type of thing.

Anything beyond that and you have to take a bus/taxi/uber. But I'm not sure you will have enough time for that, as the closest cluster of options is 10 minutes away at Polo Park. I guess you could also grab something from the domestic secure area on arrival as there are some more food options there, although that means your bag will be going around and around on the carousel while you eat.
Thanks for your thorough reply. Much appreciated.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your thorough reply. Much appreciated.
You're welcome! Safe travels

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Question for you Winnipeg people. My wife and I are flying from Regina to Orlando in a couple of weeks, and we are making a stop at YWG. Our flight is supposed to arrive around 12:50 and our flight to Orlando is supposed to leave at 3:40. From what I can tell, we will have to leave the secured area, grab our bags, go through US pre-clearance, and then security again to get to the US gates. My question is what options for food is there after security at the US gates?
There are not a lot of options in the airport and even less on the US pre-clearance side.

Ass has been suggested the arrivals area Root 98 might be worth considering or you could head to the walking distance hotels attached to the airport and eat there.

In terms of US pre-flight, as USS bounds flights have different security screening rules you need to go through security a second time. You will first past through security, which is operated by Canadian staff. You will then talk to a second person which is an American on assignment to Winnipeg. I think once you are in line for the US security screening you have legally entered the US legal jurisdiction. Also as they only have 2-3 security lines it tends to backup but also moves fairly quickly.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 9:04 PM

Some are flight options out of Winnipeg:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...gary-1.6733131

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan