HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jan 24, 2023, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I doubt it. The people advocating for bus lanes, bike lanes, etc are very much not Vallas' base. His base are the most rabid cagers the city has, plus wealthier downtown commuters who just want the CTA cleaned up.

I guess we'll see when he appears at the Safe Streets For All forum next weekend, but I'm just expecting some vague talking points out of him.

https://safestreets4all.org/forum
I don't know if I buy this claim. If that was the case, he wouldn't be up with Garcia getting the polling numbers he is getting. Based on feedback in this thread alone, I feel like Vallas has a growing base of middle voters that want to see crime reduced.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Based on feedback in this thread alone, I feel like Vallas has a growing base of middle voters that want to see crime reduced.
Be careful with the sample size. This board was convinced that Kim Foxx had no shot at re-election. She won by 15%.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It should be obvious to everyone by now that Chuy isn't a progressive, or at least he is not the kind of progressive outsider-reformer that some people think he is. He pretended to be one in 2015 to lure gullible Bernie Bro voters. He's really just the new (Latino) face of the machine. But if he brings even a watered-down progressivism combined with his connections/insider status, he could be the best person to achieve progressive goals. Nobody wants to hear that yet. But we'll certainly hear about it after the runoff, if it's Vallas vs Chuy.

Idealists like Brandon Johnson, if elected, will find very quickly that even a fiery progressivism means nothing if you can't work the system. Our city is technically a weak-mayor system with a lot of power vested in the aldermen. The reason Chicago is known for iron-fisted mayors is because those individuals were just masters of working outside the system, horse-trading and cutting deals, even blackmail sometimes. I don't think Johnson can play the game - neither could Harold Washington. It's sorta like LBJ at the presidential level - he was the ultimate "beltway insider" and mastered the workings of Congress like a swamp dweller, but once elected he was able to use that power to pass the most progressive agenda since FDR.

Vallas is a (conservative-leaning) reform type. But it's important to remember that he is an outsider, just like Lightfoot, Brandon Johnson or Harold Washington. You may think this is a good thing, but it definitely impacts the ability of a mayor to cut deals and get stuff done.
So true re: Chuy. It's frustrating to see such an obvious empty suit figurehead for the cook county machine gain so much traction. Hard to see how we'll ever break out of the cycle when pols like him just have to show up to become a frontrunner in elections.

I'm pretty sold on Vallas at this point. In a perfect world Kam would have a real shot, but I don't think he's got the juice this time around.

Vallas has decades of (successful) experience in civic admin roles--he's worked within the Chicago system before without getting swallowed up by it and has worked all over and gotten (mixed, but mostly successful) results. I was just recently reading about his time in Philly and he's still viewed as one of their best superintendents even 20 years later. I appreciate that he has partnered with lots of stakeholders from around the world throughout his career--Chicago needs someone who has a rolodex full of contacts outside of IL. The city is parochial enough.

I don't love his courting of the FOP or speaking at ultra-conservative events, but I'm of the strong belief that party politics do not matter in local elections. Pragmatism > ideology every day of the week when it comes to mayor.

EDIT: I'm not wealthy or a rabid anti-crime person, btw. My biggest issues are improved transit and growing the population. Crime--or the perception of crime--is arguably the biggest hurdle Chicago faces to accomplish major progress in those two areas.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Crime--or the perception of crime--is arguably the biggest hurdle Chicago faces to accomplish major progress in those two areas.
Yes. . . this is a very true statement. . . I've often said that it took a generation of us in the early 1990s who moved in and participated in making Chicago a great place to live, and it took less than a month to unravel that into the mess we have today - real or imagined. . .

The fact that this new generation of Chicagoans tolerate this level of crime, homelessness and drug abuse is very concerning for the future of the city. . .

With that being said, I'm probably gonna vote for Vallas. . .

. . .

Old Posted Today, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
I don’t think he’s proposing the 3.5% income tax. Sun Times is the only outlet saying that and it seems to be an error.
Unless the sales and real estate taxes are eliminated that's ridiculous. The highest taxes in the nation will not solve Chicago's problems and a candidate that thinks they will is dangerous.

His tax plan is nothing but class warfare like his leftist supporters in the CTU push.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest