HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 3:39 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Many people.... will drink only the same brand of beer (scotch) every single day as it's what they think is the best.
Lagavulin 16: "If you think you've found a better bottle of single-malt, you're wrong"

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 3:43 PM

I like the mix. Lived in Toronto for years relatively car free (my wife / GF had a car, which I used increasingly as our relationship matured, but never for commuting, mostly just groceries and weekend trips), and loved the energy and the way you can just experience a city and your environment when you are walking or on a bike.

But damn is it inconvenient. I loved my cycling commute during the summers and shoulder seasons, but hated it in the winter. Any quick errand was simply not quick at all, and took an afternoon to complete almost anything it felt like.

Now I live in a more suburban environment, and while the convenience of driving to grab anything is super nice, I miss the access to trails and regular opportunities for physical activity mixed into daily life. Once WFH is over I'll return to a mix as I work in a more urban location, which will likely be a more happy medium to me.

I value the environment of an urban area, but value the pure unbridled efficiency of suburban areas, basically. Suburban areas are generally ugly as hell though.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I don't think that would have worked. It may have even worsened sprawl.

The issue is that the extreme sprawl characteristic of Metro Detroit is (or at least was) heavily white flight-based. If there were some scenario where it was difficult to move to sprawl within the tri-county area, I think it's most likely that the sprawl would have leapfrogged the counties. Basically Livingston County and the like would have developed earlier, while areas like Rochester and Novi would be even more affluent, due to growth restrictions.

Of course if you had European-style sprawl restrictions, and no freeway building, it would be impossible to live 50 miles out. But that's a pretty implausible scenario in the postwar U.S. context.
Preventing the townships from borrowing against future tax receipts to build infrastructure would've slowed it down a lot.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 3:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Lagavulin 16: "If you think you've found a better bottle of single-malt, you're wrong"

LOL

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I don't think that would have worked. It may have even worsened sprawl.

The issue is that the extreme sprawl characteristic of Metro Detroit is (or at least was) heavily white flight-based. If there were some scenario where it was difficult to move to sprawl within the tri-county area, I think it's most likely that the sprawl would have leapfrogged the counties. Basically Livingston County and the like would have developed earlier, while areas like Rochester and Novi would be even more affluent, due to growth restrictions.

Of course if you had European-style sprawl restrictions, and no freeway building, it would be impossible to live 50 miles out. But that's a pretty implausible scenario in the postwar U.S. context.
Or even worse, they would move South or West making Detroit metro area declining.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
Or even worse, they would move South or West making Detroit metro area declining.
Moving south would've had the opposite effect, actually. If Metro Detroit ever started to sprawl into Ohio, Michigan would've been more proactive about managing the sprawl.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 3:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I like the mix. Lived in Toronto for years relatively car free (my wife / GF had a car, which I used increasingly as our relationship matured, but never for commuting, mostly just groceries and weekend trips), and loved the energy and the way you can just experience a city and your environment when you are walking or on a bike.

But damn is it inconvenient. I loved my cycling commute during the summers and shoulder seasons, but hated it in the winter. Any quick errand was simply not quick at all, and took an afternoon to complete almost anything it felt like.

Now I live in a more suburban environment, and while the convenience of driving to grab anything is super nice, I miss the access to trails and regular opportunities for physical activity mixed into daily life. Once WFH is over I'll return to a mix as I work in a more urban location, which will likely be a more happy medium to me.

I value the environment of an urban area, but value the pure unbridled efficiency of suburban areas, basically. Suburban areas are generally ugly as hell though.
I think the highlighted really depends on the suburb though. Some suburbs are actually pretty amazing when it comes to access to bike trails and recreational areas and such. Often better than cities. (I'd argue they on average at least as good or better than cities - at least in North America.)

I am actually heading out on my bike in the next few minutes and will be stopping at my local grocery store for a few things. And I am in the burbs.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Moving south would've had the opposite effect, actually. If Metro Detroit ever started to sprawl into Ohio, Michigan would've been more proactive about managing the sprawl.
No, I meant South, with capital letter. Sun Belt...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:04 PM

Quote:
No, I meant South, with capital letter. Sun Belt...
Ahh, sorry. Yeah, those people moved to the South and West anyway.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Ahh, sorry. Yeah, those people moved to the South and West anyway.
But even more people might have moved out.

Detroit, and the other Rust Belt metro areas, should have retained millions of more people, not growing -5% while some metro areas elsewhere were growing 50%. That's by far the biggest problem, urban sprawl pales in comparison.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:21 PM

Quote:
But even more people might have moved out.

Detroit, and the other Rust Belt metro areas, should have retained millions of more people, not growing -5% while some metro areas elsewhere were growing 50%. That's by far the biggest problem, urban sprawl pales in comparison.
I see no evidence that managing sprawl would've caused Metro Detroit to lose more population. All of the regions in the U.S. with strong anti-sprawl policies are growing. Some of those same places were growing much slower than Detroit less than 40 years ago.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:23 PM

And the issue in the Rustbelt isn't outmigration, it's barely any immigration. It isn't that too many people are leaving, it's that almost no one is moving in from elsewhere.

Higher cost places, like the NE Corridor and Coastal CA, have extensive outmigration, but people aren't really fleeing OH. They're aging in place and newcomers aren't arriving.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:25 PM

Quote:
I see no evidence that managing sprawl would've caused Metro Detroit to lose more population. All of the regions in the U.S. with strong anti-sprawl policies are growing. Some of those same places were growing much slower than Detroit less than 40 years ago.
Well, but they can afford to do it as there are many people wanting to move there, and are even to willing to pay more for a smaller plot/house. Unfortunately that's not Detroit's case.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Well, but they can afford to do it as there are many people wanting to move there, and are even to willing to pay more for a smaller plot/house. Unfortunately that's not Detroit's case.
Detroit was still growing faster than those places when they adopted those policies. That context is required to understand Detroit's situation. Detroit didn't alter policies to reflect a slower growing population, while those other regions did.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
Which cities in the US have managed sprawl?

The only city that I'm aware has an urban growth boundary is Portland, and I'm afraid to go to Portland.
The city you live in has done far more than Detroit ever even thought about doing.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 5:19 PM

Quote:
The city you live in has done far more than Detroit ever even thought about doing.
You're right. We do have an urban growth boundary.

https://www.theurbanist.org/2019/10/...02.2%20million.

The more you know.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think the highlighted really depends on the suburb though. Some suburbs are actually pretty amazing when it comes to access to bike trails and recreational areas and such. Often better than cities. (I'd argue they on average at least as good or better than cities - at least in North America.)

I am actually heading out on my bike in the next few minutes and will be stopping at my local grocery store for a few things. And I am in the burbs.
It's that way in Phoenix Metro. The city of Phoenix generally has the worst bike infrastructure in the metro. Both urban paths and bikelanes, as well as recreational trails are far superior in the East Valley suburbs like Mesa / Tempe / Scottsdale.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Detroit was still growing faster than those places when they adopted those policies. That context is required to understand Detroit's situation. Detroit didn't alter policies to reflect a slower growing population, while those other regions did.
I admit I'm ignorant on that matter. I thought comprehensive smart growth policies in the US was a Portland thing in the 2000's. I wasn't aware it was going on since the 1960's.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 7:17 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post

I don't buy the inconvenience angle that urbanites supposedly have to contend with. Like, I live a 2-block walk from work. On my daily 5-minute commute, I pass a small grocer, 3 corner stores, a bakery, a brewery, a weed shop, dry cleaners, laundromat, pharmacy, a couple coffee shops, and multiple restaurants, bars, and other services. Within a 10-minute walk in other directions I've got a full-service supermarket, liquor store, green grocer, butcher, and lots more. Literally everything I need for day-to-day life within 10 minutes, most of it on my way home from work - how does it get more convenient than that?

I recognize that my commuting situation may not be the norm, but the point remains that the density of an urban environment inherently leads to a density of services. Running errands on a traditional local retail strip should be less time consuming than having to hop in and out of the car, driving from strip mall to strip mall.

Having a car is absolutely still a major convenience for running longer trips or getting to destinations that aren't on direct transit corridors, for sure, but being in an urban location doesn't necessarily preclude one from the ownership or use of a car either - the only catch is that you might not be able to park it right at your front door.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 8:02 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
I don't buy the inconvenience angle that urbanites supposedly have to contend with. Like, I live a 2-block walk from work. On my daily 5-minute commute, I pass a small grocer, 3 corner stores, a bakery, a brewery, a weed shop, dry cleaners, laundromat, pharmacy, a couple coffee shops, and multiple restaurants, bars, and other services. Within a 10-minute walk in other directions I've got a full-service supermarket, liquor store, green grocer, butcher, and lots more. Literally everything I need for day-to-day life within 10 minutes, most of it on my way home from work - how does it get more convenient than that?

I recognize that my commuting situation may not be the norm, but the point remains that the density of an urban environment inherently leads to a density of services. Running errands on a traditional local retail strip should be less time consuming than having to hop in and out of the car, driving from strip mall to strip mall.

Having a car is absolutely still a major convenience for running longer trips or getting to destinations that aren't on direct transit corridors, for sure, but being in an urban location doesn't necessarily preclude one from the ownership or use of a car either - the only catch is that you might not be able to park it right at your front door.
I think both typologies have their inherent practical advantages that are very different.

I am the type of person who likes to have a drink when he goes out or has dinner, and so for me being in the city either walking or close to convenient transit is a big plus. When out with your car (almost always the case in the burbs if that's the destination or where you live) that's always in the back of your mind.

Also, some of the auto-dependent suburbs are also effectively choking on their alleged innate efficiency which is automobile mobility. Some of those wide suburban boulevards with hugely complex signalized intersections that the auto culture inevitably requires (if your city gets big enough) in addition to being ugly are a nightmare to drive along - I just hate them and avoid them like the plague. Nothing practical about that.

OTOH lugging a whole bunch of bags or stuff along the street and up several flights of stairs isn't always fun.

I guess you can go more often and not have so much stuff to carry each time, especially if the shops are just down the street. But there is something to be said about doing all your errands once a week (lugging them all in the car) and then being free of that stuff the rest of the week.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions