HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 12:23 AM

Design Review - Tradition Pointe

A new project in the Ballpark Neighborhood called 'Tradition Pointe' at the intersection of 1400 South and Jefferson Street has filed for a design review.
https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Description from the developer's letter to the city.
Quote:
Tradition point is located 1425 South Jefferson Street. We are proposing a five story 78 unit apartment building.

We are submitting to increase allowable Maximum Additional Height from 60’-0” to 75’-0”. This project is in the CG zone which allows for up to an addition 30’-0” of height increase above the standard 60’-0” (Ord. 14-19, 2019: Ord. 66-13, 2013: Ord. 15-13, 2013: Ord. 12-11, 2011: Ord. 61-09 § 18, 2009: Ord. 3-01 § 2, 2001: Ord, 35-99 § 27, 1999: Ord. 26-95 § 2 (13-6), 1995).

About Tradition Pointe:
  • Site is relatively flat and located at 1425 South Jefferson Street, Salt Lake City, Utah 84115.
  • The height we are submitting for is below the maximum of 90’-0” and are requesting height increased from 60’-0” to 75’-0”.
  • The project consists of 74 units (Type 3B) over concrete podium parking garage (Type 1A).
  • (2) Levels of parking above grade contained within the podium structure with an additional level below grade bring our parking ratio to 1:1.
  • (2) Amenity decks one of 1st level of Apartments and the other one level 5 of the apartments.
  • Building designed setbacks from property line; 10’-0” on all sides.

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Aug 26, 2020 at 1:55 AM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 2:27 AM

Southern Highlands - Design Review

Another project by DEV Group also filed for Design Review today called Southern Highlands aka 'Sohi' Apartments.
https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Description from the developer's letter to the city.
Quote:
Southern Highlands is a located at 927 South 400 West. It is planned to include 105 apartment units. We are submitting to increase allowable Maximum Additional Height from 60’-0” to 75’-0”. This project is in the CG zone which allows for up to an addition 30’-0” of height increase above the standard 60’-0” (Ord. 14-19, 2019: Ord. 66-13, 2013: Ord. 15-13, 2013: Ord. 12-11, 2011: Ord. 61-09 § 18, 2009: Ord. 3-01 § 2, 2001: Ord, 35-99 § 27, 1999: Ord. 26-95 § 2 (13-6), 1995).

About SOHI:
  • Site is relatively flat and located at 927 South 400 West, Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
  • The height we are submitting for is below the maximum of 90’-0” and are requesting height increased from 60’-0” to 75’-0”.
  • The project consists of 104 units (Type 3B) over concrete podium parking garage (Type 1A).
  • (2) Levels of parking above grade contained within the podium structure with an additional level below grade bring our parking ratio to 1:1.
  • Leasing Office and Mail room are located at grade level within Parking Structure with direct street access.
  • Amenity deck is located on 1st level of Apartments above Parking Structure
  • Building designed setbacks from property line; 10’-0” East and West; 3’-0” North and South.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 3:24 AM

I think this design is too big and boxy for that area. I hope they don't allow the extra height increase for this. There should be a better way how they are integrating with the old abandoned rail line. That rail line could be converted to a run/jog/walk path connecting the ballpark neighborhood into the heart of the Granary.

Btw, how did you get those docs? I didn't see any attachments.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I think this design is too big and boxy for that area. I hope they don't allow the extra height increase for this. There should be a better way how they are integrating with the old abandoned rail line. That rail line could be converted to a run/jog/walk path connecting the ballpark neighborhood into the heart of the Granary.

Design review attachments on those pages are under "record info" and then "attachments". You then have to scroll down a bit where you see direct links to PDF files. It's usually the first one listed.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:

Orlando, aside from the rail pathway conserns, elaborate a little on why you think this project is too big or tall for that intersection and or immediate area. The reason I ask is that looking at the address and area on Google Earth, it seems like a much-needed infill. More than likely this is but just the beginning of needed density and multi residential for that neighborhood. With the exception of one semi-decent commercial structure, that particular intersection and the immediate area are very underdeveloped. In fact, underdeveloped would be a serious understatement. There's just a lot of vacant acreage with junk strewn about, tow yards, and a few cheap block or metal buildings that are being used for either storage or light industry. I notice there is one large attractive solid historic home, which of course I assume they will work into developments. I imagine 100 years ago it was a surrounded by some sort of farm. Other than that, the few occasional homes that do exist seem to be more of a shanty variety, housing someone who is guarding junk, equipment, and or light industry uses. Again, I'm just going by the street view photos I'm seeing, but it would seem like this immediate area would be screaming for any number of upscale style residential projects like this. Looking at the style and upscale materials being used on this "Sohi Project", I would predict this is just the beginning of apartment development for this blighted sector. This area looks to be a developers dreamscape.

Last edited by delts145; Aug 26, 2020 at 4:42 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 1:26 PM

Quote:
I was hoping that this was the Bicycle Collective, but that is on 3rd West. Atlas Architects have something called Matsura Remodel listed close by, but ya, I'm not sure what's going up there? Atlas & Delts?
https://www.atlasarchitects.com/central9

I'm not sure either Orlando?? Atlas, Makid, Anyone?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 2:28 PM

Quote:
If I remember correctly, UTA owns the rail Right of Way. They do have some long term plans for the ROW which would include the possibility of a Trax extension.

The intersection is also near the current planned southern end of the planned Granary streetcar line. It is planned to go along 4th West from approximately 200 South to 900 South.

Because of the planned transit improvements, I don't think that the building is too out of scale. I would hope that as additional projects are announced for the area that they take into account the planned streetcar line.

The current time frame for the Streetcar line is around 2035 but as development happens along 4th West, this could speed up the construction time frame.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 3:22 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I'm not sure either Orlando?? Atlas, Makid, Anyone?
It's adjacent to the Greenprint 9th Station Apartments but I don't think that project goes to the corner of 900S and 200W. I can't find anything else online.

The parcel is owned by "OZ4 OPPORTUNITY FUND, LLC" according to the county assessor.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
If I remember correctly, UTA owns the rail Right of Way. They do have some long term plans for the ROW which would include the possibility of a Trax extension.

The intersection is also near the current planned southern end of the planned Granary streetcar line. It is planned to go along 4th West from approximately 200 South to 900 South.

Because of the planned transit improvements, I don't think that the building is too out of scale. I would hope that as additional projects are announced for the area that they take into account the planned streetcar line.

The current time frame for the Streetcar line is around 2035 but as development happens along 4th West, this could speed up the construction time frame.

That blows me away. I wasn't aware of the upcoming transit improvements, and the property still looks like a developer's dream. That neighborhood is really going to take off. At first, I was surprised at the finishes on the "Sohi" but now it makes total sense. This neighborhood is going to be an attractive node for sure.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 9:33 PM

The Greenprint group that have built a number of buildings in the neighborhood are building new buildings at 909 S. and 921 S. 200 W. They're typical 4 story residential buildings. In this case, they actually have windows on all sides rather than one long blank wall on one side which they have built on some of their past projects. It is an improvement. The corner property is being used as staging for that construction project. Until those billboards disappear that lot will never get developed.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Orlando, aside from the rail pathway conserns, elaborate a little on why you think this project is too big or tall for that intersection and or immediate area. The reason I ask is that looking at the address and area on Google Earth, it seems like a much-needed infill. More than likely this is but just the beginning of needed density and multi residential for that neighborhood. With the exception of one semi-decent commercial structure, that particular intersection and the immediate area are very underdeveloped. In fact, underdeveloped would be a serious understatement. There's just a lot of vacant acreage with junk strewn about, tow yards, and a few cheap block or metal buildings that are being used for either storage or light industry. I notice there is one large attractive solid historic home, which of course I assume they will work into developments. I imagine 100 years ago it was a surrounded by some sort of farm. Other than that, the few occasional homes that do exist seem to be more of a shanty variety, housing someone who is guarding junk, equipment, and or light industry uses. Again, I'm just going by the street view photos I'm seeing, but it would seem like this immediate area would be screaming for any number of upscale style residential projects like this. Looking at the style and upscale materials being used on this "Sofie Project", I would predict this is just the beginning of apartment development for this blighted sector. This area looks to be a developers dreamscape.
I think there could be bigger stuff in that area. I just think that the scales of certain parts of that area should work with the goal of placemaking. Most of that area is smaller scale. You've seen the scale of the projects being built in the center of Central 9th, right? They are 2 maybe 3 story buildings. There are some 4-story apartments going up.

Also, 5 years ago, myself, and a few others worked on a conceptual master plan for this area. That rail track extends up along the center of 4th west, and we had envisioned that line to be like Salt Lake's version of New York's Highline. We called it the "Low-Line", and it crossed paths with the "9-Line" along 9th south. It would connect the Ballpark neighborhood with the Granary District and the older buildings along 4th west, which we had envisioned to be restored into a Restaurant Row. The pathway would extend up 4th West into the Depot District.

Restaurant Row

Last edited by Orlando; Aug 27, 2020 at 3:48 AM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 4:20 PM
Space Magi

95 State and Liberty Sky rising

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 5:44 PM

New rendering made by ELEV8 Architecture of the proposed Hotel RL redevelopment.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 5:44 PM

A couple of minor things concerning Tower 8:

It appears they are getting ready to raise the tower crane again, also they are

attaching a second brace on the tower crane higher up on the core.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 6:02 PM

Wow, that Elev8 rendering is cool. I wish the cross streets were labelled to give some context as to where it is on the block. I would assume that's 6th South in the foreground, but then where does this sit in relation to the current building.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 6:09 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Wow, that Elev8 rendering is cool. I wish the cross streets were labelled to give some context as to where it is on the block. I would assume that's 6th South in the foreground, but then where does this sit in relation to the current building.
My best guess, based on what I think is the current building peeking out from behind that taller new one, is that this view is looking southeast from 600W across 200S.

Anyone know how likely this RL Hotel redevelopment is? Seems cool but I can't imagine hotels are doing well right now in general. Also, it looks like they got rid of that awesome giant swimming pool in this rendering but the street engagement is better.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 6:23 PM

Oh yeah, you're right. I didn't recognize the older hotel in the background. So this would sit where that Maverick gas station is currently.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
New rendering made by ELEV8 Architecture of the proposed Hotel RL redevelopment.

Well, They're visualizing some striking projects that are much needed at that Gateway. I hope one of them actually materializes.

Last edited by delts145; Aug 27, 2020 at 10:32 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Anyone know how likely this RL Hotel redevelopment is? Seems cool but I can't imagine hotels are doing well right now in general. Also, it looks like they got rid of that awesome giant swimming pool in this rendering but the street engagement is better.
I think it is probable. They are actually shrinking the number of hotel rooms. They are going to convert roughly 1/2 of the current Hotel RL rooms to apartments.

My understanding is that the new construction will include a few more apartments but will also include office space.

From the image, it looks like the new construction would include a 17 Story building and possibly 2 11-12 story buildings. The overall design of the buildings in the image look more like office space than apartments to me.

The overall sense of the images shown screams Tech Campus, maybe a even Bio Tech Campus. The 17 Story building would be for the Execs and front office staff. The 2 11-12 story buildings would be lab space.

I know that there has been some news recently about SLC focusing more on the Bio Tech side of the Tech industry and this may just be the first project focused that way.

Last edited by Makid; Aug 28, 2020 at 8:57 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
Pencil,
What is the RL development? Red Lion? On 6th South & West Temple?
This doesn't look like it's legit, unless the owners are going to tear down the existing hotel.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West