HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Speaking of active mixed-use developments or lack thereof, these are the latest renderings of a project I designed in Seattle. Notice the Utah lighting example used. I hope you guys don't mind my occasional troll stuff.
This is part of the city approval process. They have a sophisticated Design Review process with very specific zoning requirement for active use and also Design Guidelines that encourage activation of alleys, etc.
But, to give you an idea of what this costs in time. This project started in October 2018, and will probably receive its building permit in January 2021, and final construction documents in early Spring. That's almost
2-1/2 years for a 180-unit project to go through multiple city zoning and design review meetings before construction.

http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/AppDocs/G...endaID8825.pdf

That's awesome. This is the process SLC needs. No design is perfect the first go-around, and good design needs this review and critique process because it really elevates the final product. That's not to say design by committee - but design where specific parameters and constraints are established at the beginning, and the review process tightens and polishes the final version. If SLC built street engagement like this, it wouldn't even matter if the buildings were only 5 stories, you would have a vibrant area that people would want to live in 24/7.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
That monstrosity is the Dinwoodey Building:

There's a question of how much of the original facade is still intact under this mid-century cover-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Wow, that's a travesty. Is it even used for anything anymore?

That area is really ripe for a nice mixed-use, highrise development.
The interior is still very much historically intact. A lot of beautiful woodwork and ornamentation. It is used currently, but only as storage. I'm sure there has been some damage to the facade when slapping up that 50's faux front. However, what damage has been done to protruding ornamentation can be reproduced. Much of the Capitol and City Hall restoration involved creating completely new duplicates of historical masonry. There is a local firm that does incredible work. I hope that the block will realize its highrise potential over the next decade, but leave intact and restore and reuse The Dinwoody.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 2:19 PM
Space Magi

Thanks for the info delts. It looks like the land around The Dinwoody is owned by Zions Bank and I recall someone mentioning that they are planning on developing a new, mixed-use HQ sometime in the future. Hopefully they plan something nice there because it's really one of the best remaining empty lots in the heart of downtown.

Block 40, where the Newhouse Hotel used to be, is also a prime location for a cool development. It appears to now be owned by City Creek Reserve, so I'm wondering if (hoping) that will be their next big project after 95 State. Maybe they can call it "the Newhouse" or something in memorial.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Block 40, where the Newhouse Hotel used to be, is also a prime location for a cool development. It appears to now be owned by City Creek Reserve, so I'm wondering if (hoping) that will be their next big project after 95 State. Maybe they can call it "the Newhouse" or something in memorial.
I just wanted to make a few comments on this.

While the block is owned by City Creek Reserve/old PRI, there are not any plans to work on the lot in the next 5 to 7 years. They do have future plans but nothing begins refinement work until between 5 to 7 years before planned construction.

I do expect that CCR will continue to work on their properties in the northern end of the CBD for their next few projects. This was planned before COVID and I would think that this plan has been reinforced in that CCR would want to ensure the success of the City Creek Center. This will be done with additional residential and commercial near the center.

CCR will hold of construction of both the Cascade and the residential tower on the NW corner 1st South and 2nd East (current staging lot for 95 South State), to allow Kensington Tower and the Utah Theater Tower to be constructed. If either the Theater Tower or Kensington Tower fall through, one of the 2 CCR residential buildings will be moved up.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I just wanted to make a few comments on this.

While the block is owned by City Creek Reserve/old PRI, there are not any plans to work on the lot in the next 5 to 7 years. They do have future plans but nothing begins refinement work until between 5 to 7 years before planned construction.

I do expect that CCR will continue to work on their properties in the northern end of the CBD for their next few projects. This was planned before COVID and I would think that this plan has been reinforced in that CCR would want to ensure the success of the City Creek Center. This will be done with additional residential and commercial near the center.

CCR will hold of construction of both the Cascade and the residential tower on the NW corner 1st South and 2nd East (current staging lot for 95 South State), to allow Kensington Tower and the Utah Theater Tower to be constructed. If either the Theater Tower or Kensington Tower fall through, one of the 2 CCR residential buildings will be moved up.
What is your expectation for the block East of Triad? I heard years ago they were serious about building a proper “BYU-SLC”. I haven’t heard that for a long time. The sooner they stop land banking two 10 acre lots the better.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 8:05 PM

I keep hoping that Property Reserves' next project will be those two blocks between Triad and Temple Square. Now they're busy with the Square redo and Tower 98. Then what's next? All of their projects are a welcome development and typically very well done, but I just wish they would finally move forward on those giant holes in the CBD. Even if just in phases, it would be great to see some momentum on those blocks in the near future.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
What is your expectation for the block East of Triad? I heard years ago they were serious about building a proper “BYU-SLC”. I haven’t heard that for a long time. The sooner they stop land banking two 10 acre lots the better.
I have heard that while the lot would be shared between a BYU extension center and Ensign College (LDS Business College).

Ensign College is expanding its class offerings and is attracting additional students. Student Housing would be built in conjunction with additional class space.

The BYU extension center has had a few different incarnations over the past 10 years. There have been plans for a full urban campus with classrooms and dorms located in 20+ story towers to a proposal that would include remote classrooms with limited on-site help. There has also been a proposal to include a Salt Lake Missionary Training Center in the project.

All projects for the site are currently on hold until the impacts of COVID are known.

I have been looking forward to the Ensign College portion of the project as it would students from the Plaza Hotel. That would then allow for the planned redevelopment of the hotel itself to happen.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I have heard that while the lot would be shared between a BYU extension center and Ensign College (LDS Business College).

Ensign College is expanding its class offerings and is attracting additional students. Student Housing would be built in conjunction with additional class space.

The BYU extension center has had a few different incarnations over the past 10 years. There have been plans for a full urban campus with classrooms and dorms located in 20+ story towers to a proposal that would include remote classrooms with limited on-site help. There has also been a proposal to include a Salt Lake Missionary Training Center in the project.

All projects for the site are currently on hold until the impacts of COVID are known.

I have been looking forward to the Ensign College portion of the project as it would students from the Plaza Hotel. That would then allow for the planned redevelopment of the hotel itself to happen.
Oh wow, I didn’t know they had got that far along in planning and with so many iterations. When you talk about redeveloping Plaza, you are talking about that being dorms? That would be a better use as students would be more likely to eat out. Obviously no open drinking, but they would still add to vitality more than the missionaries and GA’s that occupy it now.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
Oh wow, I didn’t know they had got that far along in planning and with so many iterations. When you talk about redeveloping Plaza, you are talking about that being dorms? That would be a better use as students would be more likely to eat out. Obviously no open drinking, but they would still add to vitality more than the missionaries and GA’s that occupy it now.
The Plaza already hosts students and acts like dorms. The plan has been once dedicated student housing is available for the Ensign College students, the Plaza would be demoed and replaced with a new building.

That new building hasn't been set yet whether it will be residential, commercial, or mixed use. It just won't be a hotel at least at this point. CCR doesn't want to be in the hotel business.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 6:47 AM

Apparently the Beto’s restaurant on 400s is for sale? Has this been mentioned here yet?

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/435-...y-UT/18096183/

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
Apparently the Beto’s restaurant on 400s is for sale? Has this been mentioned here yet?

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/435-...y-UT/18096183/
It looks like it is for lease not sale. That billboard I think dooms this site from redevelopment.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 7:22 PM

Aw, I see. I should’ve seen that.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 5:53 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Didn't someone post something a few weeks ago about the property being for sale again?

If it's still up in the air I would be happy to reach out to them here in L.A. and ask what the status is.
Sorry to resurrect the topic, but I don't check in as often as I'd like. I can confirm this is not happening. Held is selling the property, and I understand it's currently under contract.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
Sorry to resurrect the topic, but I don't check in as often as I'd like. I can confirm this is not happening. Held is selling the property, and I understand it's currently under contract.
Hopefully it is purchased by someone that is as ambitious, but has the portfolio to accomplish it.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 1:45 AM

I understand the skepticism considering the history of political leadership in this city, but I really do think we're in a promising place with Mayor Mendenhall. She understands that cities are meant to be multi-modal and that we need to get more cars off the road. She's very supportive of bike lanes, of denser development, of multi-modal streets, of taking cars off the road, of making attractive streets and neighborhoods. I'm hoping that she continues to build on these ideals and starts pushing for more aggressive design standards, as well as reducing the prominence of single-family housing.

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/sal...d-development/

I would be very interested in knowing her opinion on banning single-family-exclusive zoning throughout the city.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 9:57 AM

Greenprint Gateway Apartments

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=
Another project announced around the gateway. Greenprint Gateway Apartments will be located at the northeastern corner of the intersection of 200 South and 600 West.
It will be six floors, 150 residential units, ground floor retail, and stay at the minimum parking of 0.25 stalls per unit.
Site Plan:

Elevation Drawings

Direct quote from the project's 'submittals' to the city
Quote:
Project Description:
The long-standing and existing use of our project site is as a parking lot and car repair shop. The proposed project is a six-story apartment building comprised of one, ground-floor concrete podium level and five wood-framed stories (See, enclosed concept plans). The building will deliver 150 residential apartment units to this downtown location. At the street-level, along the 200 South facade, the podium will contain retail and/or office spaces. The minimum parking currently required by the zone will be accomplished by a combination of indoor and outdoor parking stalls. The outdoor stalls will be located behind the building, with gated access off of 600 West, and the parking lot will include the required interior landscaping. Given its proximity to the Old Greek Town Trax Station and the Gateway commercial development, we believe that this design will not only meet the City’s vision for this district but will also enhance the area by adding a walkable, transit-oriented, multi-family option for City residents.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 10:06 AM

Downtown Salt Lake City West Side Map

With so many projects getting proposed around the gateway in the past two weeks, I thought it might be a good idea to map out the projects that are proposed and under construction in the west side of downtown Salt Lake City.

If I choose to take the time, I may add details and photos for each of the projects, but I thought I'd post the map for now.

I may have missed something here or there, but I am hoping this acts as a good snapshot of what is happening on the west side.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 1:28 PM

Awesome. Thanks for the map! Really puts the growth on the west side in perspective.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 2:31 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
With so many projects getting proposed around the gateway in the past two weeks, I thought it might be a good idea to map out the projects that are proposed and under construction in the west side of downtown Salt Lake City.

If I choose to take the time, I may add details and photos for each of the projects, but I thought I'd post the map for now.

I may have missed something here or there, but I am hoping this acts as a good snapshot of what is happening on the west side.
Great map, thanks! Mind if I share it on the subreddit?

I do think that the Greenprint Gateway project is a definite improvement over the Central Station designs. In addition to the ground floor engagement and parking numbers, it looks like they want to use brick on parts of the facade. The design itself is nothing special but it at least seems like a half-decent infill project to me.

Also, BSL put up an awesome residential photo update this morning:
https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/in-...tinues-to-pop/

Last edited by Atlas; Jun 29, 2020 at 2:51 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 2:59 PM

^^^ Isn't there a "health and social club" type development planned just north of 16? I don't remember the name of it, but I know I've seen renderings for it on this site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West