HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
You would if you had to. I was supposed to go back to work in January where masks were required at all times except eating and conference rooms but they pushed WFH until the summer where I hope the mask BS will be over by then. Including getting on a plane.
Just tell them that clearly, if they think that everyone needs to wear a mask at all times, then it doesn’t really seem safe to be in the office. Let HR and legal chew on that one for a bit.

There’s no plausible logic that says in person with no masks is unsafe, but that wearing a mask makes it 100% safe. By requiring a mask they are acknowledging that there is a risk to employees from being there, and of course you’re very scared and not comfortable with that.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 28, 2022, 10:46 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

st. louis county and illinois waiving mask mandates today. i’d say overnight 95% of people have stopped wearing masks in public.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2022, 11:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
st. louis county and illinois waiving mask mandates today. i’d say overnight 95% of people have stopped wearing masks in public.
Even California is waiving school masking. Here in SD we've been back to regular life for a long time, even with the Governor's 2 month long indoor mask mandate that expired 2/15.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 12:43 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN Man View Post
Even California is waiving school masking. Here in SD we've been back to regular life for a long time, even with the Governor's 2 month long indoor mask mandate that expired 2/15.
A lot of parts of CA returned to normal way before other states, yet we got this rep of being lockdown central.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 4:24 AM
An Optimistic Realist

^^^ Yeah, when it’s all said in done, California will be among the states that responded to COVID in a reasonable manner.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
A lot of parts of CA returned to normal way before other states, yet we got this rep of being lockdown central.
Everything re-opened mid 2021. We just had a Super Bowl. Life has been back to normal for a while. Vaccines work

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Because we were lockdown central. My friends in the Bay told me plenty of horror stories. I traveled a lot during the pandemic and CA definitely felt like the most restrictive state. Someone mentioned San Diego being cool about it but I had a couple get mad at me for not having a mask on as I was checking out at a Target down there. They went all close behind my back passive aggresively to tell me. When I left the store I saw them packing their car up and asked them to say what they said louder. Of course crickets. Besides that though SD was mostly chill.

The only area of CA that remained mostly normal was South OC, parts of the IE, most of SD, and probably the North State. I bet Bakersfield didnt give a damn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
^^^ Yeah, when it’s all said in done, California will be among the states that responded to COVID in a reasonable manner.
Nah there were some terrible optics. Like restaurants being forced to close meanwhile entertainment productions got full on catering provided in the same parking lot. Or arresting someone in Malibu for surfing. Or having city workers in Manhattan Beach write tickets for folks walking on the boardwalk without a mask. At the Tierra Mia drive thru in LA the worker asked if I could put a mask on. The fucking drive thru. Shit was stupid. I never experienced this kind of behavior anywhere else.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 12:59 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

i work all over the city and everyone's a lot nicer lately. it's noticeable. it's refreshing for often brusque nyc. one good outcome from the plague? hopefully it lasts.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 2:51 PM
The City

^ They aren’t nicer. It’s just that you can see their faces again and see that they are smiling

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 9:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Everything re-opened mid 2021. We just had a Super Bowl. Life has been back to normal for a while. Vaccines work
It was back to normal for everybody (except kids in public schools, college campuses, public transit riders and healthcare workers) from 6/15 - 12/15, then statewide indoor masks were mandated, most businesses didn't comply including Super Bowl fans and CA politicians at other sporting events. I will say that SD went back to normal a long time ago compared to Los Angeles County.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i work all over the city and everyone's a lot nicer lately. it's noticeable. it's refreshing for often brusque nyc. one good outcome from the plague? hopefully it lasts.
The city does seem much less fast paced than pre-pandemic. Some guy on the sidewalk was being impatient and bumped into me today. It felt like that's the first time that has happened to me since early 2020.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 11:40 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Because we were lockdown central. My friends in the Bay told me plenty of horror stories. I traveled a lot during the pandemic and CA definitely felt like the most restrictive state. Someone mentioned San Diego being cool about it but I had a couple get mad at me for not having a mask on as I was checking out at a Target down there. They went all close behind my back passive aggresively to tell me. When I left the store I saw them packing their car up and asked them to say what they said louder. Of course crickets. Besides that though SD was mostly chill.

The only area of CA that remained mostly normal was South OC, parts of the IE, most of SD, and probably the North State. I bet Bakersfield didnt give a damn.
No. Plenty of bay area people on here, me, friends, and family said it was awesome. This reeks of politics/upset at wearing masks which has been linked to autism (I can provide sources).
Quote:
Nah there were some terrible optics. Like restaurants being forced to close meanwhile entertainment productions got full on catering provided in the same parking lot. Or arresting someone in Malibu for surfing. Or having city workers in Manhattan Beach write tickets for folks walking on the boardwalk without a mask. At the Tierra Mia drive thru in LA the worker asked if I could put a mask on. The fucking drive thru. Shit was stupid. I never experienced this kind of behavior anywhere else.
Again, no. Most restaurants never closed or have at least been open since June of 15 last year. In other states they don't even understand the concept of outdoor dining, while we already had it before the pandemic. California had a tiered system so an experience in Malibu is not the same in let's say, SD or Sac. Drive 15 minutes north or south and you can find an area that meets your tastes. Plenty of businesses did not require masks for the statewide order and it's a scam perpetuated by a select few who claim CA was the lockdown state.

Last edited by TWAK; Mar 1, 2022 at 11:51 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 12:17 AM

Oregon may as well be the lockdown poster child. We STILL have the indoor mandate for two more weeks. Wth??? I swear to God this is the biggest chickensh!t state besides Hawaii.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 12:41 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
Oregon may as well be the lockdown poster child. We STILL have the indoor mandate for two more weeks. Wth??? I swear to God this is the biggest chickensh!t state besides Hawaii.
There is a path to the end, so just wait two weeks then it will all be ok. Don't worry about Oregon though, people will continue to try and say that California was the lockdown state...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 12:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
Please keep wearing masks, you guys are saving the world!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 2:08 AM

Life if fully back to normal in New Orleans! Happy Mardi Gras!

courtesy @FOX8NOLA

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 2:13 AM

Quote:
There is a path to the end, so just wait two weeks then it will all be ok. Don't worry about Oregon though, people will continue to try and say that California was the lockdown state...
Its just annoying. The longer they beat the drum, the longer it will take equally timid companies to return to work. Who knows, maybe Oregon tech companies are saying goodbye to downtown anyway. Health care and research seems reinvigorated tho. I hear OHSU is planning to bring ppl back. I thought they were the most paranoid. Nike is waiting til summer. I guess shoe designers are actually shut ins. California was definitely not lock down central. I was in San Diego last summer. The beach looked like a baywatch episode.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
Life if fully back to normal in New Orleans! Happy Mardi Gras!

courtesy @FOX8NOLA
Ooh I spot two masks. White ladies bottom left.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 8:23 PM
The City

Anybody watch the State of the Union? Nice to see the President and Congress all together just like the pre-Covid days.

I enjoyed the quick shot of AOC too

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 10:51 PM

I just watched a little. Im glad he finally called everyone out and said its time to go back to the office.....downtown.....everywhere. We'll see how the populous takes it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions