HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 3:02 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ except of course for the people you are making sick or killing. and the healthcare insurance costs your drove up for all of us when you supposedly had covid.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 3:09 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Over the weekend, my wife and I went to see the new Wes Anderson film in an actual movie theater for the first time in a very long time. man did it feel great to do something so normal again.

Everyone was still ostensibly supposed to "mask up" while inside the theater, but with with all of the popcorn munching and soda sipping, that was more or less a farce.

I have no idea how they did it, but I am ever so glad that our little historic neighborhood movie theater made it through the pandemic!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 3:24 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Over the weekend, my wife and I went to see the new Wes Anderson film in an actual movie theater for the first time in a very long time. man did it feel great to do something so normal again.

Everyone was still ostensibly supposed to "mask up" while inside the theater, but with with all of the popcorn munching and soda sipping, that was more or less a farce.

I have no idea how they did it, but I am ever so glad that our little historic neighborhood movie theater made it through the pandemic!
Good for you. I and my kids started going back to movies in April.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 3:27 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:

yeah its amazing how some of these places hung on as much as it is sad when some closed down.

we went to a vax checked concert postponed like 3X over covid at city winery on halloween. it was seated and we had a little food and ciders. i only wore a mask a little bit and when i got up go to the bathroom. really great to be back at something like that.

i wanted to go see dune on imax this weekend, but its already gone and replaced on imax by that stupid eternals movie. i snoozed i lozed.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 3:36 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
yeah its amazing how some of these places hung on as much as it is sad when some closed down.
to our neighborhood movie theater's credit, this wasn't its first pandemic rodeo.

it first opened as a vaudeville stage back in 1916, so it also somehow made it through the 1918 spanish flu pandemic too.

maybe the building itself "remembered".

in reality, they likely got a bunch of relief aid. there's not a whole lot else you can do with a century-old historic theater building.

and it just went through a multi-million dollar restoration/renovation 5 years ago to breathe new life into it.

I'm overjoyed that we didn't lose it forever.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 3:39 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
to our neighborhood movie theater's credit, this wasn't its first pandemic rodeo.

it first opened as a vaudeville stage back in 1916, so it also somehow made it through the 1918 spanish flu pandemic too.

in reality, they likely got a bunch of relief aid. there's not a whole lot else you can do with a century-old historic theater building.

aaand -- you're welcome!
- sen. schumer

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/m...er-1234842227/

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 4:28 PM

Quote:

and it just went through a multi-million dollar restoration/renovation 5 years ago to breathe new life into it.

I'm overjoyed that we didn't lose it forever.

Are you talking about the Davis theater?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 4:51 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
The fact that more people in Florida have already gotten Covid is the whole point of the article. Eventually everyone is going to get it. All these restrictions have done is drag this thing out.

The so-called “Delta” variant in England isn’t new, it’s been dominant over here since last winter (and in Florida since the spring).

I’ve been going to the gym without a mask since July, and of course I’m fine because I’m fully vaccinated and had Covid before that. There’s no reason to care at all anymore.
I am talking the Ay.4.2 variant not your basic Delta. Yeah, even vaccinated people are likely to get it even if they don't display symptoms or ever know it. Unless it becomes more and more deadly I agree that the World just has to take a live with it attitude. Those more vulnerable (I am probably getting there at 51) need to take whatever precautions necessary, but cannot expect young healthy folks to continue with all sorts of mandates. Especially now with monoclonal and the new promising pfizer drug. Covid should be in our rear view mirror soon.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 5:13 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:

I’ve been going back to the theater since late last year. And since about March this year none of the theaters care about pointless masks and it’s been great. Saw dune a few weeks ago and the theater was packed. It was like this last almost two years didn’t happen. Only in the most liberal of neighborhoods does anyone wear masks anymore and I avoid those places. The rest of Pittsburgh is acting normal outside of places like East Liberty and Oakland.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 5:26 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I’ve been going back to the theater since late last year. And since about March this year none of the theaters care about pointless masks and it’s been great. Saw dune a few weeks ago and the theater was packed. It was like this last almost two years didn’t happen. Only in the most liberal of neighborhoods does anyone wear masks anymore and I avoid those places. The rest of Pittsburgh is acting normal outside of places like East Liberty and Oakland.
Went to a few movies in Downtown LA at the Alamo Drafthouse since August and although masks are required once you're in the theater everybody has them off (of course) because we're eating meals and drinking alcohol. I wouldn't see a movie anywhere else.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 5:45 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Here in Houston, I don't think I've had to wear a mask for anything outside a doctor's office since April.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 6:26 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Here in Houston, I don't think I've had to wear a mask for anything outside a doctor's office since April.
i thought the houston schools do? or did?

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- When students return to Houston ISD campuses on Aug. 23, they'll be required to wear a mask after the district's board of trustees voted Thursday to approve a mandate. ... All staff, students & visitors will have to wear masks on all @HISD schools, buses and facilities.Aug 13, 2021

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 6:50 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisouthside View Post
Are you talking about the Davis theater?
bingo!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 7:01 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
I was under the impression that masks and such were made illegal?
As soon as all the old people got vaccinated here the masking rules were ripped from the windows of most businesses. Most businesses didn't close for the lockdown either, since everybody was able to get an "essential" waiver. It helps that outdoor dining was already a thing.....

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Aren't most people still masking in stores like HEB or Costco? Here in Austin at least half (usually more depending on what part of town) are wearing masks while shopping in these venues. People often are seen masking when standing in line to order food and elsewhere. On the other hand, bars and restaurants are full of mask-less patrons. It is kind of a strange dichotomy. I mask at the super market mainly because I am old and think the extra ounce of precaution might be worth the bother.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 8:02 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i thought the houston schools do? or did?

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- When students return to Houston ISD campuses on Aug. 23, they'll be required to wear a mask after the district's board of trustees voted Thursday to approve a mandate. ... All staff, students & visitors will have to wear masks on all @HISD schools, buses and facilities.Aug 13, 2021
I live in a different school district but there was a huge fight between them and the state; the districts wanted the ability to mandate masks while state said no. It's been debated in courts ever since and not sure where things stand now but I think Texas is losing that battle though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Aren't most people still masking in stores like HEB or Costco? Here in Austin at least half (usually more depending on what part of town) are wearing masks while shopping in these venues. People often are seen masking when standing in line to order food and elsewhere. On the other hand, bars and restaurants are full of mask-less patrons. It is kind of a strange dichotomy. I mask at the super market mainly because I am old and think the extra ounce of precaution might be worth the bother.
Tons of people still wear them but it's largely optional at this point even if it's technically 'required' you wear them if you're unvaccinated but who is going to check. About half the people at my local HEB wear them and I live in a highly conservative area...Dan Crenshaw territory.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 8:06 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
I live in a different school district but there was a huge fight between them and the state; the districts wanted the ability to mandate masks while state said no. It's been debated in courts ever since and not sure where things stand now but I think Texas is losing that battle though.
The pandemic is gonna be over and they will still be fighting in the courts about it?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 8:09 PM

Today, for the first time since the pandemics, there were ZERO deaths registered in São Paulo state (45 million inh.).

81% of the state population got at least one dose of the vaccine and there were 153,000 deaths since March 2020.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 3:26 AM

18 days in a row with zero COVID deaths in New Orleans. https://twitter.com/Crimealytics/sta...71399523684354

We are going to see the Tootsie musical Wednesday evening at the Saenger, and I can't wait. We will need to show our vax card along with our ticket, but that isn't a huge inconvenience.

Concerning when mask mandates were in effect in Louisiana. They initially took effect in June 2020 and remained in effect until May 2021. The mandate was reinstated in early August during the Delta wave and ended on Oct. 29th. There has never been a vaccine mandate to enter businesses in the state. That only applies to businesses (other than essential services like grocery stores, pharmacies, and medical offices) with in the confines of the City of New Orleans. Given the low infection rates, lack of deaths, and dearth of hospitalizations (only 34 hospitalized in the entire metro area) I would venture to guess that herd immunity has been reached.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 4:19 PM

Son is scheduled for his first shot this Sunday at his pediatrician, with the second shot on December 5th. My wife has been an uber-cautious person regarding COVID, so I'm going to be glad with all of us vaccinated she'll consent to us dining indoors and taking the kids to museums again and the like.

I have set a personal deadline that I'll stop (voluntarily) masking up indoors when local cases decline below 10 per 100,000 again. However, COVID shows no signs of burning out locally. Cases haven't really spiked here, but they've been vacillating between 30 and 40 per 100,000 for basically two months now, which surprises me, because I thought it would be burned out by this point. It does look like it's burning through a different population though - the early wave was in black neighborhoods, but now it's in white suburbia primarily.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions