HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

View Poll Results: Is SEPTA doing a great job in regards to bus, subway, and commuter rail overall??????
YES 56 48.70%
NO 59 51.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 1:22 AM

Keep your eyes out for an unexpected piece of transit news. It should hit the media by tomorrow at earliest or the end of the weekend at the latest. That’s all I’ll say for now.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 2:31 AM
Show me the blueprints

c**k tease

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 4:01 AM

If it's something unexpected, then I'm going to guess that the NHSL extension is cancelled and they're using the funds for something else.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 4:13 AM
Show me the blueprints

Let us hope. This editorial ran in the Inquirer today:

SEPTA unwisely pushes for suburban investment while improvement plans in the city languish | Editorial

The transit agency has balked at a subway extension along Roosevelt Boulevard but presses ahead with an expansion to King of Prussia. Does this prioritization really make sense?

by The Editorial Board | March 16, 2023

At a public forum for the city’s mayoral candidates Tuesday, support for the Roosevelt Boulevard subway extension was strong. Each of the half-dozen major candidates in attendance, besides Jeff Brown, endorsed the concept, even going so far as to label it the one infrastructure project they pick over all others, a testament to the potentially transformative power it has for the city. The last time the extension was seriously studied, it was projected to host over 100,000 riders a day. That’s roughly how many people took all of SEPTA’s 13 Regional Rail lines combined during the pre-pandemic era.

Despite this, SEPTA and local planning officials have been reluctant to endorse the proposal, citing costs. According to SEPTA’s chief executive, Leslie Richards, the agency simply can’t afford to build it, as it would cost at least $3 billion. Curiously, however, SEPTA has not cried poor over a different transit expansion project, the King of Prussia rail line. The project has an estimated ridership of 10,000 people per day and an estimated cost of nearly $3 billion. Does this prioritization really make sense?

Sadly, it is par for the course when it comes to regional transit. While any urban planning student could tell you that public transportation is more effective in densely populated areas, SEPTA has repeatedly shown that it is willing to cut service in Philadelphia rather than improve it. Even in relatively recent times, the city has lost the iconic 23 and 56 trolley lines. According to SEPTA’s own ridership data, both of the replacement buses on these routes have higher ridership than even the rosiest projections for KOP rail.

Instead of investing in better service in Philadelphia, SEPTA’s admittedly limited capital dollars have often gone to projects in suburban areas. SEPTA recently completed a nearly $200 million project to extend Regional Rail to Wawa station in Delaware County. Yet local officials have rejected the proposed transit-oriented community that was supposed to help justify that expansion, and some residents are already complaining about the persistent sound of train horns blowing overnight.

Rest

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
If it's something unexpected, then I'm going to guess that the NHSL extension is cancelled and they're using the funds for something else.
Spot on: KOP Rail is cancelled. An official press release will come out later today.

https://twitter.com/tomfitzgerald/st...96524888829952

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 6:57 PM

Holy shit!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 7:05 PM
Show me the blueprints

There is a God

I never thought I'd be so thrilled that a transit project is dead. Common sense prevails! Seems likely we can thank Biden's FTA for making a wise decision for them.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 7:45 PM

What a disaster. This is terrible news for SEPTA and should probably result in Leslie Richards removal.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 7:54 PM

Comedy writes itself

2 months ago:
Quote:
SEPTA’s chief executive dampened hopes for a Roosevelt Boulevard subway on Friday, saying that the transit authority doesn’t have the money now or a secure enough regional funding base to make the massive project happen.

“With the limited amount of funds that we have right now, there really is no way forward,” CEO and general manager Leslie S. Richards told the Philadelphia Business Journal. “The math just doesn’t work.”
https://www.inquirer.com/transportat...-20230127.html

Today:
Quote:
The projected costs of the 4-mile extension of the Norristown High Speed Line had ballooned to more than $3 billion, SEPTA officials said, about 54% more than estimated when the project began.

Federal Transit Administration officials told SEPTA that one of their major concerns was that SEPTA did not have enough money to cover cost overruns, which are virtually inevitable in big infrastructure projects, while maintaining the assets it already has and funding the capital work already underway.
https://www.inquirer.com/news/septa-...-20230317.html

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 11:54 PM
Show me the blueprints

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 3:04 AM

^^^Not surprised by this AT ALL!!! The Biden/Comcast curse strikes again! First the USFL when the Stars lose to the Stallions, then the MLS when the Union loses to the LAFC, then MLB with the Phillies losing to the Astros, and the NFL when the beloved Eagles lose to the Chiefs and Andy Reid (we need to revert back to the kelly greens NOW), and now this! I've always felt that it was never going to happen, and now that has come true!

In all seriousness, I actually liked the project considering you could go to KOP from either Norristown or 69th Street, and as long as you have SEPTA running the city's mass transit system and the regional rail system, expect this to happen! Which means NOTHING!!! I remember when SEPTA was supposed to extend the BSL to the Navy Yard and that hasn't happened, while other cities like Boston has extended the Green Line to Union Square & Tufts and will possibly a Blue Line extension to Lynn, the Second Ave Subway to Harlem in NYC, the Red Line extension to Chicago's Far South Side, Miami's expansion to Hard Rock Stadium and the County Line, LA's expansion to LAX, DC's extension to IAD, and BART's expansion to San Jose and Santa Clara.

Philly is just the worst city with the worst mass transit system in the country all because of SEPTA!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 4:38 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
^^^Not surprised by this AT ALL!!! The Biden/Comcast curse strikes again! First the USFL when the Stars lose to the Stallions, then the MLS when the Union loses to the LAFC, then MLB with the Phillies losing to the Astros, and the NFL when the beloved Eagles lose to the Chiefs and Andy Reid (we need to revert back to the kelly greens NOW), and now this! I've always felt that it was never going to happen, and now that has come true!

In all seriousness, I actually liked the project considering you could go to KOP from either Norristown or 69th Street, and as long as you have SEPTA running the city's mass transit system and the regional rail system, expect this to happen! Which means NOTHING!!! I remember when SEPTA was supposed to extend the BSL to the Navy Yard and that hasn't happened, while other cities like Boston has extended the Green Line to Union Square & Tufts and will possibly a Blue Line extension to Lynn, the Second Ave Subway to Harlem in NYC, the Red Line extension to Chicago's Far South Side, Miami's expansion to Hard Rock Stadium and the County Line, LA's expansion to LAX, DC's extension to IAD, and BART's expansion to San Jose and Santa Clara.

Philly is just the worst city with the worst mass transit system in the country all because of SEPTA!
WTF is half of this nonsense you posted? SEPTA has always been chronically underfunded so it can't expand as easily as other systems...and most of its board lives out in the suburbs so it tends to lean towards so suburban projects over urban projects.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
WTF is half of this nonsense you posted? SEPTA has always been chronically underfunded so it can't expand as easily as other systems...and most of its board lives out in the suburbs so it tends to lean towards so suburban projects over urban projects.
The "nonsense" that I just spouted is in reference to Biden and his contributions to Philadelphia, in which there's none. Just about every president I've seen of heard has contributed something to his home state. Nixon and Reagan allowed CA to be the most populous states during their time, Carter made sure GA grow into the state it is today, Both Bush Sr & Jr made TX into the state it is today, Clinton indirectly helped Walmart, based in AR, become the largest retailer in North America, and tidbits from IL's Obama & NY's Trump. What has Biden done for PA & DE other than having those states elect him for presidency?

Name one because I can't seem to really name one thing he's ever contributed, not even rail improvements, and that's disappointing because Biden has always been known as an avid rail passenger and he hasn't even improved the country's rail infrastructure.

Also, it's no excuse that SEPTA has to perform at a very substandard rate the way it's performed. The KOP extension cancellation is yet another perfect example. If the KOP extension was cancelled, then I don't believe a Roosevelt Blvd extension is going to happen so long as SEPTA exists.

Finally, while a lot of people believe that education is the key, business is the key, public safety is the key, a better health system is the key, a lot of people don't understand how having an extensive mass transit system helps a city circulate it's traffic daily, and brings vibrancy and prosperity to those cities that have it, which is why I'm not surprised that NYC, Boston, DC, Chicago, SF, and nowadays, even LA, Dallas-Fort Worth & Miami are extending and expanding their mass transit systems. Philly had a very good mass transit system capable of going as far as Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton, Reading, Lancaster, and West Chester and the Jersey Shore and now it's just subpar compared to those cities.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 1:53 PM
Show me the blueprints

^ You're being myopic. The infrastructure bill.the The increased Amtrak funding. The future likely funding to rail and transit will undoubtedly benefit PA. The Lackawanna cutoff will likely be reactivated. Why are you trying to spin this into some hollow political complaint?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^ You're being myopic. The infrastructure bill.the The increased Amtrak funding. The future likely funding to rail and transit will undoubtedly benefit PA. The Lackawanna cutoff will likely be reactivated. Why are you trying to spin this into some hollow political complaint?
Speaking of the infrastructure bill, does the East Palestine train derailment ring any bells? The air that the residents breathe plus the water that they're drinking will also affect residents in nearby Western PA.

I wanted to give Transportation Secretary Buttigieg a chance but he literally dropped the ball with that train accident which may cost a lot of people their health and eventually their lives later on. It's not completely his fault, as Norfolk Southern deserves much of the blame, but Buttigieg's lack of urgency to show up in East Palestine is what did it for the residents and the American people in general. While it's political, I'm pretty sure even the blind can see that Buttigieg is doing a horrible job due to his accountability alone. I could add a lot more about Biden, but this is the transportation page, so we'll leave it at that.

If the infrastructure bill benefits PA, then why did the KOP extension gets cancelled all of a sudden? I don't see that as beneficiary in any way to not have have a rail transit connection from PA's largest city to the biggest retail center in all of PA and to cancel what would've been a viable transit project.

This is one of the reasons why I had to leave PA and decamp to the Caribbean and FL (where the Brightline from Miami to Orlando is almost complete, as well as the expansion of Metrorail and TriRail within South Florida) because of antics like this. Enjoy the transportation bill because while it seems like other cities and states are extending and seemingly benefitting from all this, not so much the city of Philadelphia and it's residents, but SEPTA continually drops the ball, as always!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
https://www.phillyvoice.com/septa-trolleys-renderings-/

New SEPTA trolleys will be more spacious and accessible to people with disabilities

The transit authority approved a $714 million order for 130 new cars that will have lower floors, wider pathways and space for riders with bikes or strollers
Hopefully, this is one of the few bright spots that SEPTA can pull off. Our regional rail system isn't what it used to be when the Pennsylvania & the Reading ran commuter trains, and the subway system is very antiquated, with only two lines for a city of 1.5 million.

Philly does need to overhaul it's trolley (subway-surface) system and maybe even add routes along all of Lansdowne Ave, Lancaster Ave, Whitby Ave, Christian St, and maybe a route along Fairmount Park via Parkside Ave. Like my last post, I don't believe that expanding the subway surface, or even bringing back the 23 from Chestnut Hill to the Sports Complex will ever happen thanks to SEPTA, but yes, the trolley system overall news a big overhaul.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 4:20 PM
Show me the blueprints

I literally disagree with almost everything you say. You seem to already have a pretty clear political belief already formed and honestly sound a bit like that maga loon that ran that American Rail Club youtube channel. And you just don't seem to be very well versed regarding the KOP project. The project was shit, a pathetic vestigial artifact of an earlier ambitious and sensible program. All for the low low price of a few billion $. People should be celebrating its demise. I'm genuinely perplexed why you seem to think it was a travesty, it's literally the poster child for everything wrong with American transit planning. And honestly with the Buttigieg stuff. Should he have shown up a few days earlier? Sure. Should Biden have cancelled his Ukraine trip to go so show support past the multiple statements of federal urgency regarding the derailment? No. Especially so when the conservative local government was clearly itching for an opportunity to unfairly saddle the big bad Dem with all their blame. Did you hear the despicable comments of that trumper mayor? You really think that would have been productive to send Biden there? The political opportunism displayed was just gross. Trump showing up was just another chapter is the horror show.

And lost in all of this seems to be the notion that somehow the federal government has dominion over the NS infrastructure. I even heard nitwits like Vance say something about why the infrastructure bill hadn't improved the rail conditions. Are you fucking kidding me? How stupid does he think the voters are? The federal government is not paying for a private railroads right of way, or for new safer cars or anything else beyond perhaps funding splits with local/state gov's for grade crossing modernizations or separations. It's almost like some people are so ignorant they think the railroad tracks that the freight choo-choos run on is nationalized (like they should be).

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 5:59 PM

Quote:
I literally disagree with almost everything you say. You seem to already have a pretty clear political belief already formed and honestly sound a bit like that maga loon that ran that American Rail Club youtube channel. And you just don't seem to be very well versed regarding the KOP project. The project was shit, a pathetic vestigial artifact of an earlier ambitious and sensible program. All for the low low price of a few billion $. People should be celebrating its demise. I'm genuinely perplexed why you seem to think it was a travesty, it's literally the poster child for everything wrong with American transit planning.
Even though it was poorly planned, it was a great concept nonetheless because it would connect KOP to Norristown and 69th Street. The old Schuylkill Valley Metro was also a great concept, but it would've been better had it just been commuter rail over the light rail concept which was costly.

I'm no fan of the Purple line cars, but overall, the Purple line does do it's job by connecting 69th St to Norristown. It would've been better if there was a KOP connection but I guess with SEPTA running things, I don't see a KOP rail link happening as long as either SEPTA changes or SEPTA goes the way of the dinosaur.

Quote:
And honestly with the Buttigieg stuff. Should he have shown up a few days earlier? Sure. Should Biden have cancelled his Ukraine trip to go so show support past the multiple statements of federal urgency regarding the derailment? No. Especially so when the conservative local government was clearly itching for an opportunity to unfairly saddle the big bad Dem with all their blame. Did you hear the despicable comments of that trumper mayor? You really think that would have been productive to send Biden there? The political opportunism displayed was just gross. Trump showing up was just another chapter is the horror show.
In this case, what Buttigieg and Biden should've done was to just show up and take the heat as opposed to worrying about what the conservative media would say about them. I'm not slamming them for being Dems/liberal, but I'm slamming them for showing a lack of leadership when it was needed the most, especially Buttigieg.

It makes more sense for Biden to wait until his Ukraine dealings, but Buttigieg should've really showed up a few days after the incident, when everything is contained, and he only showed up weeks later, only reflecting Buttigieg's inexperience and his lack of leadership as well as Biden's ineptitude.

Political or not, both Biden and Buttigieg should've showed up in East Palestine and given support to the local community over there than worrying about poll numbers and what the liberal and conservative media thinks about them.

Quote:
And lost in all of this seems to be the notion that somehow the federal government has dominion over the NS infrastructure. I even heard nitwits like Vance say something about why the infrastructure bill hadn't improved the rail conditions. Are you fucking kidding me? How stupid does he think the voters are? The federal government is not paying for a private railroads right of way, or for new safer cars or anything else beyond perhaps funding splits with local/state gov's for grade crossing modernizations or separations. It's almost like some people are so ignorant they think the railroad tracks that the freight choo-choos run on is nationalized (like they should be).
It's pretty apparent that the rail infrastructure isn't the best in this country. It wasn't the best when Clinton was running it, and it damn sure was getting worse when Bush Jr, Obama, and Trump was running the country. Now that the Dems have control of the WH, you'd think that there would've been vast improvements in our road and rail system.

Biden has been known to ride the rails during his tenure as US senator and Vice President just to get home. The federal gov't may not have the jurisdiction to control NS's rails but the federal gov't can regulate NS as well as other freight rail companies, and the blame goes to both the transportation secretary for being tardy and being complacent on his job, as well as to the private sector, which is NS. Both parties deserve equal blame! I believe I've said that before in my next to last post if you want to check that out!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 6:12 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
The "nonsense" that I just spouted is in reference to Biden and his contributions to Philadelphia, in which there's none. Just about every president I've seen of heard has contributed something to his home state. Nixon and Reagan allowed CA to be the most populous states during their time, Carter made sure GA grow into the state it is today, Both Bush Sr & Jr made TX into the state it is today, Clinton indirectly helped Walmart, based in AR, become the largest retailer in North America, and tidbits from IL's Obama & NY's Trump. What has Biden done for PA & DE other than having those states elect him for presidency?
I'm a little confused by this. Maybe things are different where I'm from (eastern Canada) but here we view it as a negative when a national official like a prime minister or other government minister uses their position to show favoritism to their local region. We often use the term "pork barrel politics" which is considered a form of soft corruption. Not hard (illegal) corruption but still undesirable. The complaint is that federal governments should be representing all parts of the country equally. Basically making impartial decisions based on the merits of a project and local need without politicians letting their personal connection to a place influence them.

But you seem like you're complaining that Biden didn't do that?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 6:23 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
In this case, what Buttigieg and Biden should've done was to just show up and take the heat as opposed to worrying about what the conservative media would say about them.
Take the heat for what though? The previous administrations loosening of safety regulations? The decades long lobby against sensible hazmat and crew/precision railroading regulations pulled off by the private freight railroad corporations at the expense of public safety? The conditions, deferred maintenance to rolling stock, lack of safety equipment and lack of crew that allowed a toxic derailment in which the private company purposefully released toxic gas over a small town and then subsequently proceeded to quickly bury the the toxic sludge so they could reopen the line with the only obvious concern being profit and Wall St? That's Biden's fault? That's Buttigieg's fault? That's the EPA's fault? Buttigieg should have shown up with a magic wand that removed greed as the primary motive out of the equation? And Biden is "inept" because.... why exactly? What was he supposed to do exactly? If his Ukraine trip wasn't right in the middle of it should there have been a visit like is customary with tornados/hurricanes/earthquakes and other natural disasters or all too frequent mass shootings? Sure, I guess. But it's undeniable the local trumper base in the area was going to try to make it, as they already have, some cynical political issue to make the administration look incompetent for doing just as much or more than any reasonable person would acknowledge would have been done under previous administrations or the last disgrace of a presidency.

In regards to your last couple sentences. The federal government doesn't maintain or use public funds to invest in a private railroads infrastructure. It doesn't work that way. If you want to improve rail infrastructure you either mandate through regulations a higher standard requirement or you nationalize the infrastructure and charge access fees to fund the maintenance/modernization/expansion of the rail infrastructure i.e. the road of many other first world peers.

Please stop with the "both parties do it" wishy washy bothsidesisms. It's just not accurate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation