HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 6, 2004, 3:55 PM
LoveLight

I have nothing significant to say - just wanted to reaffirm my love for Harrisburg.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2004, 5:26 PM
Me?!?

Thank you very much, Mark.

Some good news for Carlisle. They have such a cool DT and this is certainly going to help it:

GOING OUT TO EAT

Carlisle prepares to scrap sidewalk fee to encourage cafes

Sunday, June 06, 2004
BY DAN MILLER
Of Our Carlisle Bureau

CARLISLE - Al fresco dining has long been one of Europe's charms.

Harrisburg has in recent years joined the ranks of American cities that staked claim to the summertime tradition.

Downtown Carlisle is about to boost its share.

Borough Council plans to scrap a $50 annual fee on restaurants that offer dining on public sidewalks.

Borough Manager Fred Bean, who suggested dropping the fee, said downtown restaurants are working hard to attract business. Dropping the fee will encourage the effort.

"We're not really justifying the $50 charge, because it's a fairly simple process," he said.

He said that about six restaurants have applied for the permit. Indeed, the revenue loss of about $300 is scarcely a drop in the beer mug, given the borough's $10.1 million budget.

"If I had a choice I'd want to sit outside," said Braam Hattingh, owner of Fast Eddie's on West High Street, where patrons can dine outdoors by candlelight and the light of the Carlisle Theater marquee across the street. "The bottom line is outdoor seating makes sense -- dollars and cents."

Restaurants will still have to apply for a permit, and the borough will continue to monitor restaurant compliance with the ordinance, which sets rules for public dining.

Restaurants licensed to serve alcohol are allowed to do so outside, as long as they have permission from the municipality, said Molly McGowan, spokeswoman for the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board.

Some restaurants may need an "extension of premises" license to serve alcohol outdoors. Restaurants can apply for the extension much as they apply for a new license or license transfer. The process takes at least 30 days, but could take longer if there is public opposition to the request.

McGowan said the LCB does not issue temporary licenses, which would allow restaurants to serve alcohol outside during designated months. Restaurants that serve outside without LCB permission risk being fined.

Restaurateurs say that outdoor dining allows them to expand business without committing to a costly expansion project.

"It's pretty cut and dried. The more tables you add to a restaurant, the more money you make," said Tony Magaro, co-owner of Fisaga, part of Harrisburg's Restaurant Row on North Second Street. Fisaga has offered outdoor seating since it opened three years ago; an awning protects against fickle skies.

"My place is kind of like something you would see in Key West," Magaro said.

Downtown Carlisle has plenty of history, said Chris Petsinis, owner of North Hanover Grille. But in order to compete with tourist attractions like Harrisburg and Gettysburg, downtown Carlisle restaurants need to offer outdoor seating, he said.

And sidewalk competition among the downtown restaurants is a good thing, he said.

"The more restaurants that are doing it, the better the appeal," Petsinis said. "You go to Europe, and it's just a steady stream of blocks and blocks of outdoor seating."

It's not only tourists who will enjoy the ambience. Al fresco dining should also appeal to the 9-to-5 crowd.

"It's better than being cooped up all day, and it gets you outside," said Chris Camara, who had lunch outside at the North Hanover Grille.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2004, 6:53 PM
joining the rail club

very cool...i frequent the carlisle pubs pretty often. although it's a little pricey, market cross pub is the place to be

Old Posted Jun 6, 2004, 7:04 PM
Me?!?

For as long as I have lived here, I have never been out in Carlisle for recreation. I was always there in the daytime for court, but never for the nightlife. I need to do that one of these nights...

You know what else I need to do, Chris? Get my ass down to York. They too are having a nightlife explosion down there, and I'd really like to check it out one of these nights. It's funny, Carlisle, York, etc. are right in my backyard, yet I totally forget about them sometimes.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2004, 10:03 PM

eastside, you really should get your ass to carlisle.....every so often friends and i go out to eat, chill at the parks, and then go to a movie at the theater (my favorite midstate locale). the vibe in downtown is really relaxed and friendly, like a downscaled harrisburg that's more spread out

Old Posted Jun 6, 2004, 10:06 PM
Me?!?

That sounds pretty cool. I really should check it out soon.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2004, 5:12 PM
Me?!?

This was a little blurb on TV 21 today. You know damn well this place is going to make a KILLING!!! I was DT yesterday and they were putting the finishing touches on it; it looks really nice. I like how you can get in from 2nd St. but also from Walnut too.

"Molly Brannigan's" Opens

"Molly Brannigan's" is on Second Street next to Downtown News. It's billed as an authentic Irish pub. Irish craftsmen were brought in to do much of the work on the eatery.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2004, 2:06 AM

when i was in the V.I.C., the people told me that the restaurant was supposed to open sooner, but their ship from ireland was delayed in new york....how cool is that?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2004, 3:15 AM
Me?!?

That is so awesome!!!

I was DT tonight and I simply could not believe how many people were down there on a Tuesday night. There was such a mix of people too!!! I also stopped for a few minutes to watch the builders hoist up some of the sides of the new building, Market Square Plaza. They are really moving right along on that puppy aren't they? Brannigan's looked to be doing very well, and I'm sure it will be a big draw...

It is a very exciting time to live in Harrisburg, and I just can't say enough about it. And to think, many of us would've never imagined all of this just a few years ago.

I Harrisburg.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2004, 3:45 AM
joining the rail club

/\ ditto to both of you...lol

Old Posted Jun 9, 2004, 2:57 PM
Me?!?

I'm sad to see these go as they were a lot of fun to have around. Hey if you guys want to see something cool, check out the University's yard on Front St. I drove by it yesterday and they had a lot of the cows in their yard, set up as if they are grazing. I'm going to try to get down there later today and take some pics of it; hopefully that was not just a one-day thing.

Also, FYI: they are having a candelight memorial on the Capitol steps tonight for Reagan. I think that will happen around 8 pm.

CowParade approaches its last roundup

CowParade gets ready to go out to pasture

CowParade about to be put out to pasture

Wednesday, June 09, 2004
BY ZACHARY LEWIS
Of The Patriot-News
Grab your map, your kids and your camera.

In other words, moo-ve it.

Anyone still planning to tour the entire CowParade Harrisburg 2004 had better hurry.

Now is the last chance to see all 136 cows in their public locations. Starting next week, many of them will be whisked off the streets of Harrisburg, Camp Hill, Hershey, Carlisle and Gettysburg to be cleaned up for an auction.

That goes against the wishes of many who would prefer to see the cows stick around awhile.

"It would be nice if they were going to be in place a little longer," said Cyndie Pattison, a representative of the Harrisburg Regional Chamber and the Capital Region Economic Development Corp. "This was a big draw to the area. ... I can tell just by the number of calls I've gotten."

That view was echoed by CowParade spectators walking along Front Street in Harrisburg yesterday.

"We wish they were here all summer," said Sheri Tolland of Hershey, who was spending her lunch break with her family. "They're leaving too soon."

Kurt and Colleen Ehresman of Mechanicsburg said their 2-year-old son, Daniel, will be "devastated" when the parade ends. "As soon as he gets in the city he says, 'Cows! Cows! Cows!'" Colleen Ehresman said.

While the herd has remained pretty stationary since being set in place in April, CowParade merchandise has been flying off the shelves.

Wonders, the arts and science store at Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts, has been selling miniature cows, blank paint-it-yourself cows, CowParade apparel and other related items.

Yesterday marked the release of "CowParade Harrisburg: Celebrating the Heart of Pennsylvania." The 160-page book opens with a history of the CowParade public art phenomenon, which began in Chicago in 1999. A full-page color photo of each midstate cow is featured with its title, artist and sponsor.

Whitaker Center president Byron Quann and CowParade honorary co-chairmen Gov. Ed Rendell and Harrisburg Mayor Stephen R. Reed also penned remarks.

"Response to the book has been excellent," said Matt McGeary, assistant manager of Wonders.

Kathie Hughes, owner of Kathie's Christmas & Collectibles in Lower Allen Twp., said yesterday she had sold 200 copies with 500 more on order. "People want the book, and many are buying in multiples to give as gifts," Hughes said.

Some local bookstores have scheduled book signings with CowParade artists.

Each life-size fiberglass cow was decorated with some whimsical theme. Most of the artists who participated live and work in central Pennsylvania.

The project was organized as a fund-raiser for Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts.

Ellen Brown, an overseer of CowParade at Whitaker Center, said the project is being counted a runaway success even before the cows are auctioned. "This has gone beyond our wildest expectations," she said. "We are thrilled with the amount of attention we've received.

"Money is the eventual goal, but we are happy to have spotlighted so much talent and that so many artists had an opportunity to participate."

Once the first round of cows is removed next week, it won't be long until they're all gone.

The rest have only a few more days on display until they, too, will be put up for auction on the Internet or handed over to sponsors who have already purchased them.

Before going to auction, the cows will be gathered into the parade's "moo-ternity ward" so artists can repair any damage done by months of exposure to the rain, wind and small children.

One-third of the cows have already been purchased by sponsors for about $4,000 each. The initial average cost of sponsoring a cow in the parade was around $6,000.

The rest will be sold at an auction and gala at 6 p.m. June 26 at the Farm Show Complex, or online later. Each cow will have a different opening bid amount, Brown said, but each is expected to fetch $7,500 or more.

Tickets are $125 per person or $200 per couple. Artists who painted a cow may attend for half-price. Call 214-2787 or go to www.whitakercenter.org to order.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2004, 3:27 AM
joining the rail club

yeah i'm sad to see them go as well. someone told me that the one on front street reading the newspaper is going to stay? not sure if this is correct though.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2004, 3:48 AM
Me?!?

Nope, he's already gone; I was just there tonight.

Here are two new picture threads I just completed, so enjoy!!!

Random pics, night shots, cows...

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/...threadid=45149

Market Sq. Plaza (and other stuff) construction pics:

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/...threadid=45151

Old Posted Jun 10, 2004, 3:23 PM
Me?!?

Thank God, 'cause Middletown really needs some help. My grandparents live there so I am there enough, and I have grown to hate the place. Lots of potential but very depressing in its current state. Not so much from looks because it is well kept, but in regards to the whole vibe of the town.

It is open to non-residents so maybe I will attend one of the meetings and throw in my $.02. Middletown is Dauphin County's oldest settlement, so it should be held (and kept) to the highest standards IMO.

Meetings series to promote Middletown development

Thursday, June 10, 2004
From staff reports

The Greater Middletown Economic Development Corporation is asking borough and nonborough residents of all ages to attend a series of meetings to discuss the revitalization of the area.

The focus of the work is for designation of Middletown as a Main Street community, which the organization believes will help stimulate the area.

Facilitators from the Pennsylvania Downtown Center will be leading public meetings on June 16, July 22, Aug. 18, Sept. 20 and Oct. 20 at the Middletown Area High School cafeteria.

For information, call Arthur Morris at 394-2054.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2004, 3:27 PM
Me?!?

I guess I should include some of this info. in that construction thread...

Hilton leases 2nd floor of Market Square Plaza building

Thursday, June 10, 2004
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

Harrisburg Hotel Associates, which owns the Hilton Harrisburg & Towers, has leased the second floor of the Market Square Plaza building under construction next to the hotel.

The Hilton will use the space for a 5,400-square-foot "junior ballroom" -- which will be about half the size of the hotel's existing ballroom -- and three meeting rooms, according to Bill Kohl, president of Harrisburg Hotel Corp., the Hilton's management company.

"It'll get us out of our history of not being able to take a lot of social events," Kohl said.

He estimated that the Hilton has had to turn down 150 to 200 social events a year, such as weddings and bar mitzvahs, because of conflicts with conventions.

"We see this, first and foremost, as a vehicle to penetrate more of the social market," Kohl said.

The 20-year lease with Market Square Plaza LLC provides a renewal and purchase option, according to Russ Ford, Harristown Development Corp. president and CEO. Harrisburg Hotel Associates and Harrisburg Hotel Corp. are affiliates of Harristown.

The space may be available to the Hilton as early as April 1, 2004, according to Anthony Pascotti, one of the developers.

The Hilton will spend about $350,000 to furnish and outfit the space, Ford said.

The arcade that connects Strawberry Square with the Hilton also will connect the hotel to the Market Square Plaza building.

Every attempt will be made to keep the same decor in the new space as is already in the hotel so guests won't necessarily realize they are in separate buildings, Kohl said.

The 18-floor, 319,000- square-foot Market Square Plaza on the northeast corner at North Second and Strawberry streets, will have commercial space on the first floor, Pascotti said.

Above the second-floor leased by the Hilton will be eight floors of parking space connected to the Walnut Street Garage and then eight floors of office space above that leased mostly to law firms, he said.

Among other news related to Harristown:
  • The Strawberry Square food court will get two new tenants this summer, according to Judith Hepford, Harristown's tenant relations director for the facility.
  • Tuscan Sun will offer rotisserie chicken and salads in the old Everything Yogurt and Taco Bell stalls, and Javina's will serve Japanese and Vietnamese food next door, she said.
  • Two retailers have set up shops in Strawberry Square. Belches N Burps specializes in hot sauces, salsas, fresh-baked and hand-cut tortilla chips and gift items. Yummy Bath Savvy began selling homemade soaps and bath products yesterday. Both retailers won space in the mall in a contest sponsored by Harristown.
  • Hepford said a new occupant is still being sought to fill the space of longtime Strawberry Square tenant Radio Shack, which closed at the end of April.
  • John Frye, an original member of Harristown's board, will resign in August after 30 years of service. A nominating committee will search for his replacement.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2004, 3:22 AM
joining the rail club

Dave, I drove by Market Square and the new building is coming along very nicely. Thanks for the article...I'm glad to see more space being occupied. Gotta keep that 93% average up

Also, driving home from work last night, I noticed an Amtrak train using the Cumberland Valley Rail Bridge by HBG Hospital. It was moving eastbound over second street. A couple weeks ago I saw quite a bit of work being done overhead on the bridge while I was on front street. I think these are good signs for the upcoming work being done to finish Corridorone. I was excited when I saw trains on these lines, because they have been abandoned for years now. Looks like the HBG to Mechanicsburg section may be in the works for inclusion in the test run??? That would be my guess.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2004, 6:14 AM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightchr
Dave, I drove by Market Square and the new building is coming along very nicely. Thanks for the article...I'm glad to see more space being occupied. Gotta keep that 93% average up

Quote:
Also, driving home from work last night, I noticed an Amtrak train using the Cumberland Valley Rail Bridge by HBG Hospital. It was moving eastbound over second street. A couple weeks ago I saw quite a bit of work being done overhead on the bridge while I was on front street. I think these are good signs for the upcoming work being done to finish Corridorone. I was excited when I saw trains on these lines, because they have been abandoned for years now. Looks like the HBG to Mechanicsburg section may be in the works for inclusion in the test run??? That would be my guess.
I noticed the same thing too and that is exactly what popped into my head also. I hope we are right, Chris. I really think we are, though.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2004, 4:14 PM
Me?!?

Borough supports traffic proposal

College plan targets West High Street

HIGH STREET

Friday, June 11, 2004
BY MATT MILLER
Of Our Carlisle Bureau

CARLISLE - The borough council gave an unofficial thumbs-up last night to a Dickinson College plan to drastically alter foot and vehicle traffic on West High Street, one of the town's main thoroughfares.

The council also made an 11th-hour plea to keep The Dickinson School of Law in Carlisle and approved a 20 percent sewer rate increase that will cost an average homeowner about $3 more monthly.

Dickinson College's Boulevard Project calls for West High Street to be reduced from four to two lanes from Cherry to West streets along the school's campus.

Those two lanes would be divided by islands with grass and plantings, and there would be more visible and frequent crosswalks along the five-block stretch to improve safety for pedestrians.

The college would pay for the entire project, if it is approved by the council and the state Department of Transportation, said Nick Stamos, vice president for campus operations.

"It's going to have an incredible effect on making this a safer road," college facilities director Ken Shultes said.

A traffic study shows the reconfiguration wouldn't cause traffic congestion, Shultes said. Turn lanes would be created at each intersection, and no parking spaces would be lost, he said.

West High Street, one of Carlisle's major arteries, also is a primary detour used when traffic is channeled through town following accidents on Interstate 81.

Paul Darlington, college public safety manager, said the street reconfiguration is prompted by chronic pedestrian/traffic problems. Seven people, five of them students, were hit by vehicles in the campus crosswalks this year, he said.

"It's a great looking project if you can make the [lane] transition," Councilman William Kronenberg said.

"They're showing some great vision here," Mayor Kirk Wilson said. "I would encourage you to move forward."

Barry Loudon, a property owner, asked if pedestrian bridges or added crosswalk guards might be better options to deal with frequent jaywalking.

Bridges aren't feasible because of the height required, and adding guards hasn't worked, Darlington said. "This design truly focuses pedestrians to using crosswalks," he said.

Resident Mary Adams said a major problem is that pedestrians, particularly students, tie up traffic by taking a long time to cross at the crosswalks.

Shultes said college officials will refine the proposal and determine how much the work will cost.

On the law school front, the council passed a resolution calling on that school's board of governors to vote to keep it in Carlisle, its home of more than 170 years, when the governors meet tomorrow. The law school board is weighing a plan to move the school to Penn State University's main campus.

Borough Council President Franklin Rankin said the law school "is such a part of our history" and its loss would be a blow to the entire region.

"It would be nice to have a unanimous vote to keep it in Carlisle," Wilson said. "I'm an optimist."

"We've done all we can do," Councilman Tim Scott said, citing the heavy lobbying campaign to keep the law school here. "We just need to see what happens next."

Old Posted Jun 11, 2004, 5:33 PM
joining the rail club

the west high street project sounds worthwhile to me...there is quite a bit of pedestrian and student traffic in that area, basically because the college is divided by the street. thanks for the article Dave.

also, i hope the law school stays in Carlisle...it would really be a shame if it was moved

Old Posted Jun 11, 2004, 5:38 PM
Me?!?

I agree, Chris. They are having a meeting on it today in fact. I know I am negative towards PSU, but I think they are really going to screw this up and move the school up there. :tdown:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations