HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 7:25 PM

The Master Plan is now on the Design Commission agenda for August 18th.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 3:39 PM

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 5:09 AM

Drawings [44 MB]

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Drawings [44 MB]
I'm confused. Are they proposing to tear down the Portland Opera building?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
I'm confused. Are they proposing to tear down the Portland Opera building?
Yes. The existing lot becomes tract Opera-1, and existing parking becomes Opera-2. Page 33 shows maximum heights and example massing for each. I didn't see anything explicitly stating that both will be opera houses, but there is this potentially exciting note about Opera-1 (page 51):

Quote:
The new building on Opera-1 is envisioned to be a landmark building. The CCMP has provided ultimate flexibility in this tract to enable the future design vision to be mostly unhindered.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petcarpdx View Post
Yes. The existing lot becomes tract Opera-1, and existing parking becomes Opera-2. Page 33 shows maximum heights and example massing for each. I didn't see anything explicitly stating that both will be opera houses, but there is this potentially exciting note about Opera-1 (page 51):
I noticed that as well. Curious how this may affect the seismic upgrades that the Keller will be undergoing at some point in the near future. There's a report floating around the interwebs about what's needed to bring it up to current standards. There are three options: Seismic work only, seismic work and façade/interior upgrades, and complete teardown and rebuild.

If Portland Opera is planning on moving on up to the east side I would guess the Keller would likely go with the least expensive option.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 10:16 PM

While not an opera fan myself, my understanding is that neither of the venues that the Portland Opera performs in (the Keller Auditorium and the Newmark Theatre) are specifically designed for Opera. Reading between the lines, it looks like they'd like to be performing in a dedicated Opera House. And what a site they own.

Last edited by maccoinnich; Jul 28, 2022 at 4:46 AM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 12:01 AM

Wow, this is about to get interesting!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 2:49 PM

We've been down this long & winding road before have we not? Don't recall if ZGF was involved with the Snohetta plan from several years ago - but this appears quite similar. Any reason to believe we're on track to get it done this time around? I'm not getting any younger.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcmeGreg View Post
We've been down this long & winding road before have we not? Don't recall if ZGF was involved with the Snohetta plan from several years ago - but this appears quite similar. Any reason to believe we're on track to get it done this time around? I'm not getting any younger.
From the BizJournal:

Quote:
District plans are going before the Design Commission on Aug. 18 for a hearing, the next step toward getting construction crews to work.

It’s during this time that OMSI will ask officials to green light the OMSI District Master Plan, a hurdle for the redevelopment to clear before it becomes a reality, according to a project spokesperson.

So on July 14, OMSI trumpeted the “broad and diverse coalition of entities” that has pledged support to the project, characterizing that cast as “likely and unlikely allies — community-based nonprofits, tribal entities, companies, associations, tourism advocates and others.”

A list sent by OMSI, nearly 40 organizations deep, ranges from the Portland Business Alliance to Meyer Memorial Trust to Albina Vision Trust to Autodesk.

The groups will assist in championing the district as it marks important milestones such as the land-use hearing and comment time period, anticipated in the fall, according to OMSI. Among the boosters is Portland General Electric, whose CEO Maria Pope said in a statement, “This project will further science, engineering, and advocacy opportunities as we work together to address the challenges of climate change.”

...Seven landowners are included in the master plan area: Portland Community College, Portland Opera, OMSI, Portland General Electric, TriMet, 1800 Water Avenue Partners and the city of Portland, documents show.

The OMSI District is among the downtown sites required to complete what’s called a Central City Master plan to redevelop within the bounds of the Central City 2035 plan, Portland’s long-range development guide. The OMSI plan was previously talked about during a couple of Design Advice Request meetings in 2019. The college and Portland Opera respectively joined the planning process in 2020 and 2021.
I dont have a crystal ball, but it seems like this has the legs to move forward, especially given the broad involvement of various orgs and inclusion of the Opera.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2022, 12:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Tell me about it lol

Old Posted Aug 6, 2022, 1:37 AM

Quote:
The Snohetta master plan (on which this master plan builds) was not nearly as detailed and was never submitted for land use review. Once this master plan is approved enabling work can start and individual buildings can be submitted for review.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 4:47 AM
A before E

Quote:
The Snohetta master plan (on which this master plan builds) was not nearly as detailed and was never submitted for land use review. Once this master plan is approved enabling work can start and individual buildings can be submitted for review.
The Snohetta master plan was nothing more than a tease. Such a beautiful tease that was taken from us. I really hoped they would have run with it, but I knew it was too good to be true.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 5:01 PM

Staff Report And Recommendation To The Design Commission, which does not yet recommend approval.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 2:57 AM

Yikes, still a ways to go to get a recommendation for approval but it's getting closer. It does feel awkward that OMSI [$]has spent $170k lobbying the city council for this project since 2019 and yet there's still so much to button up.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 12:13 AM

Quote:
OMSI District Master Plan to seek approval with Portland Design Commission

The Oregon Museum of Science and Industry District is nearing a key milestone for its proposed 24-acre neighborhood in Portland’s central eastside.

OMSI leaders are scheduled to meet with the Portland Design Commission on Thursday to present their master plan for roads, utilities and other systems in the district, where they envision retail and office space, hotels and restaurants, as well as residential living within its boundaries.

The project has been in the works since 2008 and has current estimates for infrastructure at $122 million. If the master plan receives approval, teams can begin construction on the different projects within the district.

With OMSI’s mission of science enrichment in mind, a large waterfront education park will stretch from one end of the district to the other along the Willamette River.

“There is a tremendous opportunity in the OMSI District to create an inclusive neighborhood. The OMSI District would be the first in the city to restore Tribal presence on the Willamette,” said James Parker, acting executive director of the Affiliated Tribes of Northwest Indians in a press release.
...continues at the Oregonian ($).

Old Posted Oct 29, 2022, 7:43 PM

What is going on at the lot across from OMSI? Looks like 1900 SE Water Ave. I was just at OMSI and lots of heavy construction activity at the site. I see a permit for a substation demo on portlandmaps. Is that all it is? In anticipation of the master plan? They are really serious about this then it seems, if they are starting prep work already.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 7:42 PM

Quote:
...continues at the Oregonian ($).

I love the design and scalability for the District. This new development would provide a perfect location James Beard PM. Another great addition would be moor a decommissioned Navy Destroyer or WWII Liberty Ship to the south of the Submarine. This project has great potential and would be a tremendous addition to the City!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural View Post
I love the design and scalability for the District. This new development would provide a perfect location James Beard PM. Another great addition would be moor a decommissioned Navy Destroyer or WWII Liberty Ship to the south of the Submarine. This project has great potential and would be a tremendous addition to the City!
OMSI has centered tribal groups in the design process for this master plan, and has emphasized healing as a major goal. There will be a Waterfront Education Park and the Center for Tribal Natures within the district, so I do not think placing another machine of war here would fly, and rightly so.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 8:00 PM

Revised Staff Report, which doesn't yet recommend approval (although it seems like it's getting close).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland