HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 12:35 AM

^ Yeah, I saw they were developing that lot. I feared it could be a parking lot... but hoped it would be mixed-use. Likely just a temporary lot until the market will allow for something more, but disappointing nonetheless.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAisthePlace View Post
Some (unexciting) news to report on from West LA.

Google, who now has a few thousand employees in Los Angeles, owns a *massive* empty lot (I believe the only one left) in Playa Vista right next to their main office for business/YouTube employees (housing 1.5K+ employees).

I've been eagerly waiting to see what would be proposed for the site given the ambitious new ground up campus in Bayview and the massive mixed use campus/neighborhood planned for San Jose in Northern California.

And the plan (at least for the short term) is.........wait for it...... a surface parking lot for overflow parking with a small amount of employee plaza / courtyard / green space.

Still hopeful that something ambitious will be planned there (or is currently in the works at being planned), but this is truly underwhelming.
Well they're bringing more than half a million Sq feet online in Westwood (Pico) so can be excused for delaying the PV development a bit.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 3:46 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

Yes, definitely disappointing, but at least it will no longer be a green-taped eye sore, and have a bit of landscaping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
^ Yeah, I saw they were developing that lot. I feared it could be a parking lot... but hoped it would be mixed-use. Likely just a temporary lot until the market will allow for something more, but disappointing nonetheless.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 11:25 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

14130 Riverside Drive in Sherman Oaks, CA at former Sunkist HQ.
7/30/22

https://twitter.com/LA_Construct/sta...19727946764288

https://la.urbanize.city/post/excava...x-sherman-oaks

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 4:12 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

Via Avanti

Via Avanti Complex seems to have broken ground. Looks like they have scrapped the concrete, and are about to start piling. Steel beams seem to be brought in already. https://la.urbanize.city/post/redesi...rtment-complex. Also another complex well underway across the street. 4818 Sepulveda.

https://twitter.com/LA_Construct/sta...23990641184768

Go Dodgers! | Go Lakers! | Go Rams! | Go Kings!

[♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥]

Last edited by a9l8e7n; Aug 4, 2022 at 6:39 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 5:37 PM

Seems like they’re installing a crane at the old Temple Hospital site in Rampart Village.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 4:34 PM
你的媽媽

Nice conversion on the way here in a very prime location.

Quote:
K-Town's Pierce National Life Building going residential
1960s tower stands across from Wilshire/Western Station
AUGUST 05, 2022, 6:30AMSTEVEN SHARP

The Pierce National Life Building, a well-recognized landmark at one of Koreatown's busiest intersections is being gutted and converted to apartments, according to permit applications now wending their way through the L.A. Department of Building and Safety.

Jamison Services, Inc., owner of the 13-story tower at the northwest corner of Wilshire Boulevard and Western Avenue, is seeking approvals to convert the upper floors of the building into 176 apartments, while retaining existing retail space at street level. Plans also call for adding an approximately 7,100 square foot lounge and pool deck at the building's rooftop.

Early work on a retrofit of the 1960's Welton Becket-designed structure has already commenced, according to a tipster.
https://la.urbanize.city/post/k-town...ng-residential

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 4:35 PM
你的媽媽

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 5:06 PM
你的媽媽

I'm liking the new renderings here, especially the color palette, and how the project interfaces with the historic art deco parking garage/retail space. If they're already reusing the old garage space, I'm a bit puzzled why they're keeping the surface parking though. Seems like it'd be better served as a public park or open space, or a multipurpose patio for community events. Not a fatal flaw but definitely a missed opportunity there.

Quote:
New name, new renderings for big apartment complex rising at 8th & Western
Western Station is on track to open in late 2023
AUGUST 03, 2022, 9:30AMSTEVEN SHARP

The Jamison Services development now rising at the intersection of 8th Street and Western Avenue in Koreatown has fresh renderings and a new name, architecture firm KTGY announced this week.

The project, now dubbed "Western Station," is now taking shape on an L-shaped site at the southeast corner of the intersection, wrapping the historic Pellissier Square Garage. The new construction will consist of an eight-story edifice featuring 230 studio, one-, and two-bedroom apartments atop 13,300 square feet of ground-floor retail space, while the former garage will be retained as mix of retail, residential amenities, and a portion of the 176 parking stalls planned within the project.

“KTGY is returning the structure to its original patterned façade that marched up, following the form of the garage ramping,” says Keith McCloskey, an associate principal with the firm. “It will now fold into the new building to create a bold T-formation.”

The new construction also has references to its vintage neighbor, which opened in the 1930s.

“The new building is clad in a smooth, tight, blue-gray that’s compatible with the cooler tones of the nearby, historically connected Wiltern Tower,” said McCloskey. “But it takes on its own new identity by subtly introducing the Wiltern’s patinated green, known locally as Pellissier Green. Although the new building is contemporary in style, the vertical balcony slots with angled planes help to capture surrounding Art Deco history.”

Completion of Western Station is expected in October 2023, according to a landing page on the Jamison website.
https://la.urbanize.city/post/new-na...ng-8th-western

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 5:08 PM
你的媽媽

Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 9:42 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Fantastic news. More housing on top of a subway station and it will clean up the sidewalks that have the stench of urine.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 4:41 PM
你的媽媽

A little disappointed the facade on the N Spring St side got VE'd, but overall a very, very solid project.

Quote:
Glass exterior wraps new offices at 843 N Spring in Chinatown
Across the street from Chinatown Station
AUGUST 09, 2022, 8:30AM STEVEN SHARP

Across the street from the Chinatown Metro station, construction is in the home stretch for new office complex from Redcar LTD is starting to take shape.

The project at 843 N. Spring Street, which comes from a project team that also includes LEVER Architecture, Shawmut Construction, and James Corner Field Operations, consists of a five-story building that will feature roughly 122,000 square feet of offices above 7,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space and 141 underground parking stalls at completion.

The development, designed by LEVER Architecture, is one of the first ground-up projects in Los Angeles to lean heavily on cross-laminated timber as a building material. Roughly 82,000 square feet of three-ply and five-ply panels form the building's ceilings and floors, integrated into a skeleton of exposed steel columns.

The massing of 843 Spring leaves space for the timber panels to cantilever above balconies overlooking College Street, and blends floor plans into landscaped exterior spaces such as an atrium and a rooftop deck.
https://la.urbanize.city/post/glass-...ring-chinatown

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 4:42 PM
你的媽媽

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
sidewalks that have the stench of urine.
I notice I'm now increasingly rating a hood or city based on just how well it maintains the basics...or not. Super talls or great architecture...or a devlpt with the correct amt of parking or not....lose something in translation when they're surrounded by issues such as homeless encampments or bad smells.

this is the 2nd largest dt in LA county, which I haven't visited in quite awhile. So its newer devlpt has been unnoticed by me. But I like what I'm seeing...I notice one of its newer taller apt bldgs may have architecture that isn't great, but it's no worse than the fake Tuscan bldgs in dtla.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 3:57 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

Long Beach is definitely getting some good development!

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
I notice I'm now increasingly rating a hood or city based on just how well it maintains the basics...or not. Super talls or great architecture...or a devlpt with the correct amt of parking or not....lose something in translation when they're surrounded by issues such as homeless encampments or bad smells.

this is the 2nd largest dt in LA county, which I haven't visited in quite awhile. So its newer devlpt has been unnoticed by me. But I like what I'm seeing...I notice one of its newer taller apt bldgs may have architecture that isn't great, but it's no worse than the fake Tuscan bldgs in dtla.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 3:59 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

The Broadway Block

The Broadway Block complex on 3rd and Long Beach Blvd by Omni Group. A 23-story high-rise and a 7-story-podium-type building.

https://twitter.com/LA_Construct/sta...20313476358144

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 4:18 PM

^Interesting. I knew about Shoreline Gateway but wasn't aware of this residential highrise. Not entirely sure I like the seafoam green color scheme as it comes through in the above photos, but maybe it looks better in-person.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 7:06 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

This is the same cheap, spandrel glass window wall system that we got on the Onni towers at Hope & Flower. It doesn't look good in person either. Really worried we'll get something similar with the tower under construction at Olympic & Hill, as that will be over 700 ft tall and very visible on the skyline. Not that the Hope & Flower towers aren't.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a9l8e7n View Post
Long Beach is definitely getting some good development!
I didn't realize that until I saw that & a few other recent vids of LB. There was one from a youtuber...originally from africa or the Caribbean (couldn't identify his accent) who said that dtlb seems cleaner & nicer than dtla.

There was some snark a few days ago about youtube vids posted in the dtla forum, but vids help a person better know what's going on...they give a bigger picture of what's out there, both locally & nationally, internationally. Even visiting a place directly, when there are a lot of distractions...such as having to worry about parking, a restaurant being closed or transit schedules...isn't as useful as seeing a city or area in a video.

Youtube pages like this have helped me better understand the pieces of the puzzle, but also help in better appreciating the LA area, inc dtlb & the OC, too...

https://www.youtube.com/c/JSOCAL1

Vids of other aspects of LA, such as of streets & residences in bev hills & west LA, are also why I want the MTA to move faster on improving transit. Of course, dtla & dtlb have long been connected by the blue line, but that has less of an easy or convenient vibe about it than the subway under Wilshire blvd will....or should...have. But transit has to be kept clean & safe.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 8:51 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

On the south west corner of E. Broadway and Long Beach Blvd

https://twitter.com/LA_Construct/sta...80746086297600

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations