HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 1:37 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

And the full set of renderings and map:

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 1:48 AM
Paramoderator

I know I have been accused of complaining a little too much, but I am immensely disappointed with how they lowered the amount of proposed retail in this development by 2/3rds. Originally retail was going to line the parking podium, activating a previously dead street. That is all gone. Moreover, the pedestrian experience of the surviving retail spaces has been decreased as well, with a lovely pedestrian scaled awning being removed, and a strange, blank walled cut out added to the Wilshire facing portion of the project. At least the density will be nice.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
I know I have been accused of complaining a little too much, but I am immensely disappointed with how they lowered the amount of proposed retail in this development by 2/3rds.
I'm in the same boat. Hate complaining but this project is terrible for the pedestrian experience. I don't even mind the height reduction, its the parking garage in the middle. That should have really been a landscaped plaza/park and retail should be flanking 3/4 sides of the towers.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 5:42 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

So I've headed into my office in Burbank the last two days for the first time since last July, and my route in takes me within a distant eyeshot of the new Gehry buildings near the Warner Bros. lot. I'm quite a few blocks away at my closest vantage point, so have not seen them up close, but what I can see I am very impressed. The glass cladding on the freeway side and the metal panel cladding on the north sides both look top notch, and the buildings appear to be either fully clad or nearly fully clad.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 4:28 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Take a look inside Long Beach's tallest tower

The 35-story Shoreline Gateway development is complete

Steven Sharp
Urbanize Los Angeles
March 30, 2022

More than three years after breaking ground at the eastern edge of Downtown Long Beach, it's official: Shoreline Gateway is complete.

The 35-story tower - built by Ledcor Properties Inc. and Anderson Pacific, LLC, with partners Qualico and Lantower Residential - sits on a corner lot at the intersection of Ocean Boulevard and Alamitos Avenue, and now ranks as the tallest building in Long Beach.

“Shoreline Gateway represents the growth of our city, both past and present,” said Long Beach Mayor Robert Garcia in a news release. “For nearly 100 years, living in Downtown Long Beach has provided amazing views of our shoreline for so many residents and visitors. This project will be a new home for thousands more, marking a significant transformation to our one-of-a-kind skyline.”

The glass-and-steel building features 315 luxury apartments on its upper floors, with 6,500 square feet of commercial space and a five-level, 470-car subterranean parking garage below. The units come in a mix of studio, one-, and two-bedroom layouts, ranging from 616 to 1,700 square feet in size, with two-level penthouses on the top floors.

Rents at Shoreline Gateway range from $2,960 to $15,795 per month.

Designed firms Studio One Eleven, Carrier Johnson + Culture, and Relm have worked on the project, which rises approximately 417 feet above street level. The building, in addition to housing, features amenities such as a third-floor barbeque pit and bocci ball court, a fitness center, a yoga room, and a rooftop pool deck overlooking San Pedro Bay.

Shoreline Gateway is the culmination of a project which dates to 2004, when the project was first proposed under the now defunct Long Beach Community Redevelopment Agency. The tower is the second component of a two-part development which kicked off with the construction of The Current, 17-story apartment tower located on an adjacent site to the west. The two buildings share a 10,000-square-foot landscaped plaza, located on a vacated segment of Lime Avenue running between the two structures.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 12:58 PM

Go LBC! That turned out nicely...cannot wait for something a bit taller eventually.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 2:44 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Would love to see Long Beach break the 500-foot threshold.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 6:47 PM

^^^ Same

Old Posted Apr 2, 2022, 2:25 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Go LBC! That turned out nicely...cannot wait for something a bit taller eventually.
Not likely. Shortsighted

This is their highest zone:
Quote:
Height requirements are enacted all throughout downtown with a maximum of 240 feet (incentives allow for structures reaching 500 feet
https://downtownlongbeach.org/wp-con...quirements.pdf

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 5:06 PM

New Hotel 926 La Brea

KTGY Architects has a rendering for a mixed-use hotel at 956 La Brea that I have never seen before. Has anyone heard anything about this project? The address would put this project just North of Olympic Blvd.

https://ktgy.com/work/la-brea-mixed-use/

Last edited by HeySparky; Apr 4, 2022 at 6:07 PM. Reason: Address Wrong

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeySparky View Post
KTGY Architects has a rendering for a mixed-use hotel at 956 La Brea that I have never seen before. Has anyone heard anything about this project? The address would put this project just North of Olympic Blvd.

https://ktgy.com/work/la-brea-mixed-use/
No, that's a new one to me.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 11:26 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

28-story apartment tower planned for empty lot on La Cienega

The property was previously entitled for a seven-story apartment building

Steven Sharp
Urbanize Los Angeles
April 4, 2022

The new owner of a vacant lot on La Cienega Boulevard that was previously entitled for the construction of a low-rise apartment complex has grander ambitions for the property.

Earlier this year, a permit application was filed with the Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety seeking approvals to develop the empty site located at 1050 S. La Cienega Boulevard with a 28-story, 290-unit apartment tower with approximately 54,000 square feet of open space 7,500 square feet of ground-floor retail. Parking for 426 vehicles would be located in above- and below-grade levels.

According to the permit application, the proposed project will employ Tier 3 Transit Oriented Communities incentives (TOC) permitting a larger structure than otherwise allowed by zoning rules. In exchange, 29 of the new homes - or 10 percent of the project total - would be set aside as deed-restricted affordable housing at the extremely low-income level.

Los Angeles County Assessor's records list the owner of the site as CP VIII La Cienega, LLC an entity affiliated with San Francisco-based developer Carmel Partners. A title search indicates the site last sold for $48 million in late 2021.

"We are thrilled to be moving forward with plans to transform this long-vacant and underutilized property along La Cienega into a vibrant, mixed-use Transit-Oriented Communities project," said Will Cipes of Carmel Partners in a statement. "Our plans will have many benefits for the community, from helping combat LA’s ongoing housing crisis to revitalizing the neighborhood and creating publicly accessible open space. We look forward to working with our neighbors to create something special."

Solomon Cordwell Buenz is designing the high-rise at 1050 S. La Cienega, according to a representative of the developer.

The seller, local developer Amoroso Companies, had previously entitled the property for a seven-story, 114-unit apartment building, also using TOC incentives.

The proposed project, located just south of Beverly Hills and La Cienega Park, is representative of a tried and true strategy for Carmel Partners, which has made its mark on the Los Angeles skyline by proposing tall buildings in mostly low-slung areas. That includes the West Adams area, where the company has completed work on a 30-story tower as part of the colossal Cumulus District, and 520 Mateo Street in the Arts District, where Carmel is poised to build a 35-story live/work tower that would be the neighborhood's tallest structure.

Construction of the Arts District project stalled following the news that a company executive had become enveloped in the City Hall corruption scandal centered on ex-Councilmember Jose Huizar, although work has since resumed.

In addition to towers, Carmel is also pursuing another envelope-pushing development in Sawtelle. Last year, the company took advantage of new zoning rules to file plans for a project which would replace 16 single-family homes with 455 apartments.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 11:59 PM

^Carmel Partners knows how to get projects done in LA (see Linea and Cumulus), so I give this a really good chance of being constructed.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2022, 1:35 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

I, for one, love this, but do expect it to get some serious opposition locally. Unlike Cumulus, it directly abutts some neighborhoods that can be rather noisy when it comes to development. So will take some support from people like us to move it forward.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2022, 2:31 AM
REAL Kiwi!

LA could easily absorb hundreds of these type projects..

Old Posted Apr 5, 2022, 2:50 AM

I do love that long ass podium. Makes me wanna frolic

Old Posted Apr 5, 2022, 5:53 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I do love that long ass podium. Makes me wanna frolic
I would prefer the seven story building. Less podium!

/s

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I would prefer the seven story building. Less podium!

/s
You had me at "less podium".

I better be careful using the P word....one can get in trouble in the Austin threads starting that debate up

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
LA could easily absorb hundreds of these type projects..
Not only could we absorb them, but they're quickly becoming essential for the city's survival (the housing/homelessness crisis, traffic, pollution, etc)

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 11:07 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ And we're actually seeing the City buy up - or attempt to buy - some of the market rate mid-rise appartment buildings being built around various parts of the City for permanent supportive housing, using Measure HHH and other funds. One recently completed one at La Brea and Sycamore (which I dub the 'prison stripe building' for it's vertical white and black paint job - it looks much better than I describe it) and one under construction at La Brea and 9th in mid-City are on that list. It's an interesting strategy that can help chip away in the short-term on some affordable options.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations