HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 4:04 AM

The third base dugout is being moved slightly north and the third base wall and field level seating will be moveable allowing for expanded endzones.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 2:53 PM

Moveable? So they won't be brick anymore?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 5:26 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSalle.St.Station View Post
The third base dugout is being moved slightly north and the third base wall and field level seating will be moveable allowing for expanded endzones.
Why not just rotate to align endzones with the home plate/third base axis? There seems to be more room in that direction

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 7:32 PM
tilted & shifted

Wrigley Field, Wrigleyville renovations push forward
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...110-story.html

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 4:44 PM

The Wheelhouse Hotel: New Details On Holiday Jones Plans For Wrigley
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...s-clark-street

Quote:
First, Holiday Jones will renovate the already constructed, traditional building at 3473-75 N. Clark St. that was nearly complete when investors were slammed with foreclosures in 2013.

That existing building, with 21 hotel rooms and a ground-level retail space, will likely open in late spring or early summer, Baum said.

The new construction will add another 32 rooms and a second retail space and should open in spring 2018 — around the same time as Hotel Zachary up the street. That half of the hotel will have a "warehouse, modern decor" that will complement the brick side, Baum said.
Rendering in the article. Bit of a Frankenstein, not sure yet what I think of it. Location wise this is in the Clark/Addison/Sheffield triangle, just south of the new construction.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 3:16 AM

Notes from Cubs Convention h/t Danny Ecker
  • Ricketts says game-winning ball from WS game 7 will be on display for fans at some point
  • Team eliminating print-at-home tix. Only options are hard copies or through MLB Ballpark app
  • home plate concession stands won't be finished by the opener. Should be ready by late May or early June
  • No change at Wrigley for Wifi in 2017, but team says there will be a "robust" wifi and cell system in place for 2018
  • team is leaning toward NOT installing new OF light poles at Wrigley. Says they'd be less effective than they thought

Bruce Levine article with president of business operations Crane Kenney

Quote:
The Cubs are putting in a luxury seating area from dugout to dugout. The new section will have waiter service and sunken seats that will start at $440 a game. This area will take until 2018 to complete.

During 2017, temporary seating will be reset for the season. The area will be finished in 2018, with additional changes to the dugouts.

“The food stand behind home plate is gone,” Kenney said. “We have torn out the entire lower deck of the bowl. We have gone 30 feet below ground. Below the merchandise stand (behind home plate), there was just deep sand. That had not changed from 1914, when the ballpark was first built. We just excavated out truck loads and truck loads of sand. We then dug down 30 feet and created this new club. This will be called the 1914 American Airlines club. While the fans are watching the games this season, below that we will be finishing out the new club and seating area for 2018.”

Kenney also spoke to the end of an era in which the bullpens down each foul line will be moved under the bleachers.

“We are moving the pens under are bleachers, now they have been expanded,” Kenney said. “That one is a little contentious for some fans. People like to see the players warm up. I have held my breath every time a ball is hit toward the bullpen. I for one will feel a whole lot better and sleep better without (Kyle) Schwarber having to run toward that bullpen after last season’s injury and surgery. Every year we see two or three players who have taken a massive tumble. We have our MVP Kris Bryant take some tumbles. So whole idea protects me on many different levels. We will shift the dugouts slightly toward the foul poles for the 2018 season.”

Other changes will have the Cubs’ office building ready this year by Opening Day. The plan for the current building used for office space on Clark just north of Waveland will be to house the team’s new cable network venture after the 2019 season.

A new Starbucks reserve and a merchandise store will also open in the office building, according to Kenney. The team will have a trophy room just outside the ballpark plaza to display the World Series trophy and other artifacts from the team’s history that they have purchased the last four years from private collections.

“We will have the trophy and a display of those artifacts in our new lobby, which will be open to the public once the craze goes down,” Kenney said.
As it stands today, the plaza will only be open to Cubs ticket holders during games, much to the team's dismay.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 12:53 AM

Updates from Wrigley Aerials

Close-up of bullpen under construction

No idea what's going on under this tarp in center field

Last weekend's look into Wrigley's 1914 Club.

The plaza building now has a video board h/t Bleed Cubbie Blue

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 2:46 AM

Opening day's not that far away now, for the amount of work left. In '15 the bleachers weren't done until June. I can't imagine they won't have seats behind home plate that long.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Opening day's not that far away now, for the amount of work left. In '15 the bleachers weren't done until June. I can't imagine they won't have seats behind home plate that long.
One of the issues with the bleachers was the time it took for the concrete to cure. If they're using steel or precast raker beams and seating plates, it should be a relatively quicker process. But, I really have no idea what the seating support structure will look like so we'll see.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 6:56 PM
Chicago picture-taker

Wrigley Field Triangle Lot office building

Good news, Cubs office workers: You're getting a giant video board!

Bad news: It faces away from you. And it will block your views.

http://wp.me/p7uLxw-21Q

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 7:11 PM

the whole thing looks bush league

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielschell View Post
Good news, Cubs office workers: You're getting a giant video board!

Bad news: It faces away from you. And it will block your views.

http://wp.me/p7uLxw-21Q

So much better than all the underutilized and vacant lots. The neighborhood change is significant.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Anheuser-Busch League

...I'll let myself out.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
It's not terrible, especially compared to the disney shit they had planned earlier with the hoaky skybridge. The new hotel across the street looks like it will be pretty sexy. The overall change to the area is undoubtedly extremely positive with the most questionable design decision being the bizarre placement of this screen. I mean it looks like a total afterthought.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 4:03 PM

^^about the screen, maybe not a questionable decision. It is not at full height in the pictures. It is now and it helps the asymmetry. Also, I hope when they finish the glass and the clock tower the screen's placement will not only make sense from the standpoint of use in the plaza, but will balance the facade.

LDW, you are so right about how the change will be "extremely positive." The renovated stadium, this building, the new hotel, and the plaza are going the have a hugely transformative impact. The north end of the hotel is one floor above ground now and it is very easy to imagine what the plaza is going to be like.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 6:38 PM
You had me at herro...

Tower crane is up for the development on the south side of Adddison.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 12:38 AM
Chicago picture-taker

Addison & Clark

^^^ The mayor's right. Addison & Clark has a tower crane. Come for the photos, stay for the Crane Kenney joke.

http://wp.me/p7uLxw-28d

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 7:05 PM

Wrigley Aerials latest snapshoots

New seats by 1st base side where the visitor bullpen was (same done with 3rd base/Cubs bullpen).

Work on 1914 Club

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 7:08 PM

So no more pitchers diving out of the way of foul balls? No more running into the pitching mounds trying to catch foul balls?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielschell View Post
]

Ooof that basic glazing. Back when I was working on the design of office buildings, something basic as that glass wall would drive my boss nuts. And here you see why. So bland. He would require interesting profiled mullion caps and in some areas, leave it a thin crisp line just butt-jointed. The result was a facade that really came to life with depth, shadows and reflectivity.

They should have explored a slightly deeper recess of the window and mullion cap extensions. It would nicely parallel the beams, columns and grating on Wrigley.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development