HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 4:33 AM

Cool CHICAGO | Halsted Point | 5 Towers | 691 - 309 FT | 65 - 28 FLOORS

Community Meeting Invitation

From Neighbors of River West and Near North Unity Program
Come and join us for a presentation for the redevelopment of 901 North Halsted (the Greyhound Site).

The Applicant (Onni Group) is proposing a phased project containing up to 2,650 residential units and commercial uses.

Everyone is encouraged to attend!!

Thursday, April 15, 2021 at 6:00 PM

www.zoom.com
Webinar ID: 923 7664 4239
Passcode: 945206

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 16, 2021 at 3:37 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 6:35 AM

Oh wow, 2650 units on 8 acres is identical to JDL's North Union proposal. We should be expecting some really tall towers

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 1:43 PM

I remember seeing a few conceptual renderings of this proposal from a few months ago. A quick Google search revealed these from Lamar Johnson Collaborative.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 3:56 PM
Show me the blueprints

Wowsa

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 4:17 PM

Makes a ton of sense to build here. With the Tribune site nearby getting developed eventually too, it could look a LOT different in a few years. And no neighbors nearby to complain and views, construction or anything else.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 4:31 PM

A Trib article from last year mentioned that Onni was considering a ped bridge between their site and the northern parcel of the River District. I hope that happens.
I'm still bummed that the River District PD dropped plans to rebuild the Erie bridge as a ped connection.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 9:06 PM

I made this animation a year ago for the district. I'm sure designs are getting updated. Exciting for the meeting.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 2:15 AM
TL;DR

This seems like a lot of density for a parcel without great rail access. If the city builds the North Branch transitway, that will be convenient... but until then, the only options are the jam-packed Halsted and Chicago buses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
A Trib article from last year mentioned that Onni was considering a ped bridge between their site and the northern parcel of the River District. I hope that happens.
I'm still bummed that the River District PD dropped plans to rebuild the Erie bridge as a ped connection.
The bridge mentioned in the Trib would go east across the North Branch Channel. Not sure how that would work, I guess it would probably go across into the 2nd floor of 900 N Kingsbury with stairs down to the riverwalk on that side. The riverwalk is a double-height space so there is room for stairs and an elevator without cutting into tenant space. Maybe a water taxi connection on that side as well.

I don't see much point to a bridge going south to the River District... that would be a long bridge and it's a turning basin at that point so they can't sink piers in the river. Plus it doesn't save much time over the Halsted bridge that already exists.

Last edited by ardecila; Apr 14, 2021 at 2:25 AM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
This seems like a lot of density for a parcel without great rail access. If the city builds the North Branch transitway, that will be convenient... but until then, the only options are the jam-packed Halsted and Chicago buses.
Assuming a 2:1 ratio of people to units, 5300 people would live here. Across 8 acres, the density would be 424,000 ppsm! To give context, this is denser than the 2nd densest neighborhood in the world. For a 1.5:1 ratio, 318,000 ppsm would still be denser than the 4th densest neighborhood: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lation_density

If you also include the nearby River District proposal, improved transit seems like a necessity rather than an afterthought

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 6:33 AM

These renderings give me some small Long Island City vibes on the river in NYC...our current t neighborhood. Not a bad thing at all in reality. I like that rendering.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
If you also include the nearby River District proposal, improved transit seems like a necessity rather than an afterthought
Meh, who needs real transit when you have a seasonal water taxi?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
The buildings can institute something too of course. Here in Long Island City, we live on the river and the nearest train stop is about the same distance away as this is to the Chicago Blue Line stop. It's not a bad walk, though on the river here it's extremely windy at times (think of Lake Michigan high winds...) and in the winter that can be brutal. My landlord, which runs 4 or so buildings along the river offers a free shuttle service during morning and evening rush. They are packed and run every 5 minutes. Very helpful when it's cold out or you happen to catch it at the right time while running late and need to get to the train.

We also have a ferry stop right behind our building and a ton of the residents around here use it who work in areas where it drops off (and on weekends to go hang out in those areas). It would be pretty good to see them put water taxi stops up here.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 3:18 PM

That was out of the blue for me. Nice! And I wasn't aware Halsted went through part of Goose Island until now.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 3:56 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The buildings can institute something too of course. Here in Long Island City, we live on the river and the nearest train stop is about the same distance away as this is to the Chicago Blue Line stop. It's not a bad walk, though on the river here it's extremely windy at times (think of Lake Michigan high winds...) and in the winter that can be brutal. My landlord, which runs 4 or so buildings along the river offers a free shuttle service during morning and evening rush. They are packed and run every 5 minutes. Very helpful when it's cold out or you happen to catch it at the right time while running late and need to get to the train.

We also have a ferry stop right behind our building and a ton of the residents around here use it who work in areas where it drops off (and on weekends to go hang out in those areas). It would be pretty good to see them put water taxi stops up here.
Yeah I think the water taxi is the reasoning behind the pedestrian bridge - 600 W Chicago has a seasonal stop that is right there, but it's on the "sightseeing" line that doesn't run very often, rather than the "commuter" line that goes from Union/Ogilvie to Michigan Avenue Bridge. These things are a gimmick, though without a lot more service and better infrastructure.

The shuttle bus idea is not bad, 600 W Chicago also runs shuttles so maybe they could team up. I mean, if CTA was actually looking to get ridership they would add these routes but that means another part of the city has to lose service...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yeah I think the water taxi is the reasoning behind the pedestrian bridge - 600 W Chicago has a seasonal stop that is right there, but it's on the "sightseeing" line that doesn't run very often, rather than the "commuter" line that goes from Union/Ogilvie to Michigan Avenue Bridge. These things are a gimmick, though without a lot more service and better infrastructure.

The shuttle bus idea is not bad, 600 W Chicago also runs shuttles so maybe they could team up. I mean, if CTA was actually looking to get ridership they would add these routes but that means another part of the city has to lose service...
Real Answer: Permanent Chicago Avenue Bus Lanes- Problems Solved!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 5:08 PM

BRT on Halsted

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
BRT on Halsted
Preach, unfortunately I don't think the street is wide enough for most of Halsted, but bus lanes are very feasible from North Ave to Roosevelt.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPlanner View Post
Preach, unfortunately I don't think the street is wide enough for most of Halsted, but bus lanes are very feasible from North Ave to Roosevelt.
Yea I think I agree with this. Too many choke points.

Bus lanes on Chicago and major bike infra upgrades to Halsted.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 9:42 PM
TL;DR

Broke: Clinton St subway

Woke: Halsted St subway

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 9:56 PM

A new Subway that branched off at the current red/brown junction and then ran under the goose island transitway ROW, then south on halsted. Would then turn east and be the missing e-w rail link runningunder the loop to Grant Park where it turns south and becomes the metra electric replacement.

This line would literally cover every major development except maybe the 78.

Lincoln yards
Michael reese
Goose island
Tribune site
Mccormick
Soldier field
One central (lol not happening)
Obama library

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals