HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 9:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
We're fortunate in that regard. Firstly, the water level of our medium-sized lake doesn't deviate more than about 1-2 feet from a norm, and secondly, the cottage is 10-20 ft above the lake on a fairly gentle slope. Interior flooding is not a problem we will face, but it is one of many variables that makes cottage ownership daunting and off-putting to many people. As someone who has had cottages in the family his entire 48 years, I can understand that distaste. Cottages do involve a lot of work (and sometimes expense), especially at the beginning and end of the season, but once that toil and trouble is out of the way, typically within the span of a weekend, the sense of tranquility is unbeatable. Much of the question surrounding whether a cottage is right for you comes down to whether you have enough time to spend there. If not, don't bother. Renting or mooching off cottage-owning friends/relatives are better options.
I am fortunate that even at this level, I am over 20 feet higher than the current water level. I have been saying that if I can still drive on the road to my home, I am not concerned

For me, .there are about 4 days of work a year needed. That includes getting the dock in and out and moving the patio furniture. It isn't even long days. The dock is an afternoon ordeal, and the same goes for the patio furniture. Well worth the work.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
I am fortunate that even at this level, I am over 20 feet higher than the current water level. I have been saying that if I can still drive on the road to my home, I am not concerned
The dirt roads in are usually questionable this early. Ours has one or two hazardous areas that require caution.
Quote:
For me, .there are about 4 days of work a year needed. That includes getting the dock in and out and moving the patio furniture. It isn't even long days. The dock is an afternoon ordeal, and the same goes for the patio furniture. Well worth the work.
We have 2+ acres. Mowing and blowing leaves are hours-long jobs. Just a few days ago, I double-fisted a couple of 700 CFM corded blowers for several hours. My arms were sore.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 10:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The dirt roads in are usually questionable this early. Ours has one or two hazardous areas that require caution.
Paved roads here, so we are good.

Quote:
We have 2+ acres. Mowing and blowing leaves are hours-long jobs. Just a few days ago, I double-fisted a couple of 700 CFM corded blowers for several hours. My arms were sore.
Oh, you mean that stuff. First trick is that in the fall, I run the lawnmower over the leaves before the snow hits. That makes the amount of raking and blowing in the spring minimal. As far as mowing, a day every other week is good enough for here.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Paved roads here, so we are good.
Paved roads? I don't know if that's appropriate for a cottage. We're right at the very end of a 15 km dirt road. Last house on the left. Very isolated.
Quote:
Oh, you mean that stuff. First trick is that in the fall, I run the lawnmower over the leaves before the snow hits. That makes the amount of raking and blowing in the spring minimal. As far as mowing, a day every other week is good enough for here.
Mowing the leaves is not a bad idea, depending on the quantity.
Another unappealing factor with most cottages is the plumbing system, which needs to be connected and disconnected. Many cottage dissenters would find the plumbing alone a non-starter. At least we have a well, so we don't have to bother with filters or lugging in drinking water.
Do you have a winterized cottage? Ours isn't, though we could make it so. We just have no interest in going up in the winter, and paying a couple thou to keep the cottage above zero and pipes unfrozen is wasteful if one isn't going to be there.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 8:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Paved roads? I don't know if that's appropriate for a cottage. We're right at the very end of a 15 km dirt road. Last house on the left. Very isolated.

Mowing the leaves is not a bad idea, depending on the quantity.
Another unappealing factor with most cottages is the plumbing system, which needs to be connected and disconnected. Many cottage dissenters would find the plumbing alone a non-starter. At least we have a well, so we don't have to bother with filters or lugging in drinking water.
Do you have a winterized cottage? Ours isn't, though we could make it so. We just have no interest in going up in the winter, and paying a couple thou to keep the cottage above zero and pipes unfrozen is wasteful if one isn't going to be there.
It is a cottage that was converted to a house. I live year round here.

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 11:10 PM

Quote:
It is a cottage that was converted to a house. I live year round here.
Nice.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 7:51 PM

Quote:
We're fortunate in that regard. Firstly, the water level of our medium-sized lake doesn't deviate more than about 1-2 feet from a norm, and secondly, the cottage is 10-20 ft above the lake on a fairly gentle slope. Interior flooding is not a problem we will face, but it is one of many variables that makes cottage ownership daunting and off-putting to many people. As someone who has had cottages in the family his entire 48 years, I can understand that distaste. Cottages do involve a lot of work (and sometimes expense), especially at the beginning and end of the season, but once that toil and trouble is out of the way, typically within the span of a weekend, the sense of tranquility is unbeatable. Much of the question surrounding whether a cottage is right for you comes down to whether you have enough time to spend there. If not, don't bother. Renting or mooching off cottage-owning friends/relatives are better options.
There's also the fact that cottages are way more expensive now than they used to be. Even in the cheaper areas like the Frontenacs its still like $600,000 for a typical waterfront cottage now. That's a ridiculous amount of money to spend if you're not retiring there or moving there permanently.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
There's also the fact that cottages are way more expensive now than they used to be. Even in the cheaper areas like the Frontenacs its still like $600,000 for a typical waterfront cottage now. That's a ridiculous amount of money to spend if you're not retiring there or moving there permanently.
True. There's an unprepossessing WAO cottage on our lake going for 550 Large, which is extremely aggressive/greedy even in this market.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario