HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 4:38 PM

That's definitely it.
As much as I respect him, is anyone else kinda getting tired of his designs? They all... look the same.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 4:56 PM

If those two projects happen concurrently, that is gonna be a shit show.

It would be awesome, but a shit show nonetheless. I really hope the Ritz gets a nice new home (next door was mentioned). The Ritz is a national treasure.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
That's definitely it.
As much as I respect him, is anyone else kinda getting tired of his designs? They all... look the same.
Yes. I'm not a particular fan of his designs themselves.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
If those two projects happen concurrently, that is gonna be a shit show.

It would be awesome, but a shit show nonetheless. I really hope the Ritz gets a nice new home (next door was mentioned). The Ritz is a national treasure.
I don't think the Ritz should go anywhere. They can buy the air rights and develop a tower within the footprint of the Nelson building. I'm guessing they'll build it by-right if it gets built at all.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
I don't think the Ritz should go anywhere. They can buy the air rights and develop a tower within the footprint of the Nelson building. I'm guessing they'll build it by-right if it gets built at all.
Is that plot big enough? Maybe a cantilever over the Ritz? Could be more practical than moving the Ritz TO the Nelson building as seemed to be originally proposed.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 5:30 PM

Quote:
So you think they could essentially leave the Ritz and build the towers above?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 5:37 PM

The plan is to move the Ritz just next door into the beautiful historic building, and demo the existing Ritz building and build the tower there.

I'd much prefer that. The existing Ritz building is a monstrosity.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Is that plot big enough? Maybe a cantilever over the Ritz? Could be more practical than moving the Ritz TO the Nelson building as seemed to be originally proposed.
Its about 13,000 square feet, so approx 5,000 square feet smaller than the 500 walnut site. This is my personal preference as a near neighbor, but I'm sure Scannapeico or whoever develops it would prefer to have the ritz site and orient the building towards Dock Street but I think if that doesn't happen.. they can build a really nice tower totally within the Nelson Building by right, though I guess historic commission would need to approve.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Its about 13,000 square feet, so approx 5,000 square feet smaller than the 500 walnut site. This is my personal preference as a near neighbor, but I'm sure Scannapeico or whoever develops it would prefer to have the ritz site and orient the building towards Dock Street but I think if that doesn't happen.. they can build a really nice tower totally within the Nelson Building by right, though I guess historic commission would need to approve.
Gotcha. I think the condo units need to be the same size. But since a lot of the 500 Walnut plot is the bae, and this is still 13,000 square feet it seems like this shoul work were this what they choose to do.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
That's definitely it.

some where along the line he's gotten boring, like he's reading the press releases talking about how great he is. The problem with architects is one never knows what constraints the owner/developer has placed on the design. I'm pretty sure that a Scannapieco project is never going to be very cutting edge, but that the materials used will be very solid.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 11:29 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Like anything in life, there's tiers to performance and notoriety based on past works and be selected as an award-winning architect or starachitect. He's not top tier based on the projects listed. I know many times we judge a project from the looks of it outside. Do architects design projects that involve the interior layout of the project as well? I don't want to assume.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
Like anything in life, there's tiers to performance and notoriety based on past works and be selected as an award-winning architect or starachitect. He's not top tier based on the projects listed. I know many times we judge a project from the looks of it outside. Do architects design projects that involve the interior layout of the project as well? I don't want to assume.
Though I have changed majors, I can tell you with 99% certainty that architects usually design floor plans, and then a separate interior designer handles everything else.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 11:45 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Though I have changed majors, I can tell you with 99% certainty that architects usually design floor plans, and then a separate interior designer handles everything else.
Ok, I mean architects design the shape that we see on the outside which dictates how the floor plates are laid out floor to floor and depending on when the shape changes, the floor plate changes as well. Take for example the CTC, the 3 story atrium is intended and design by the architect or the hotel portion of CTC. Interior designer just dresses up spaces, rooms, and common area.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Society Hill assholes lost at ZBA but may go to court: http://planphilly.com/articles/2019/...c0qO4EeLVm9yNE Other interesting nugget, it said Cecil Baker recused "because he may be working on another tower proposal in Society Hill soon." That's got to be Scannapieco 3.0 he is being consulted about or courted for. I suppose Dilworth is also possible, but I'd think Scannapieco at the Ritz given his work on 500 Walnut and their past relationship.
'“It interferes with neighbors right to light and their right to a view,” said famed architect James Timberlake.' Their right to a view? Give me a break. That's not a "right," especially in an urban environment.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
some where along the line he's gotten boring, like he's reading the press releases talking about how great he is. The problem with architects is one never knows what constraints the owner/developer has placed on the design. I'm pretty sure that a Scannapieco project is never going to be very cutting edge, but that the materials used will be very solid.
Didn't he do The Bridge?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Society Hill assholes lost at ZBA but may go to court: http://planphilly.com/articles/2019/...c0qO4EeLVm9yNE Other interesting nugget, it said Cecil Baker recused "because he may be working on another tower proposal in Society Hill soon." That's got to be Scannapieco 3.0 he is being consulted about or courted for. I suppose Dilworth is also possible, but I'd think Scannapieco at the Ritz given his work on 500 Walnut and their past relationship.
Most likely yes given the existing relationship between the pair. And yes, his work is pretty boring but ultimately, architects have to work within the constraints given to them - specifically the developer's budget and vision. I'm sure if Baker was given an unlimited budget, he could design something splendid. 500 Walnut is pretty decent and better IMO than the Harper.

Oh and this Leo Addimando is my hero. He really took his out frustrations with his previous dealings with these NIMBYs over the Acme. But even still, everything he said made perfect sense.

Quote:
“Somewhere in my civic textbook I must have missed the chapter on how Society Hill and the towers have sovereignty over Philadelphia and its zoning code,” said Addimando, referring to the fact that the project conforms with the area’s zoning map. “Or perhaps we’ve entered a parallel universe where property rights now carry an asterisk.”

Addimando has clashed with the Society Hill Civic Association before, when it fought his plans to build a midrise tower at the site of the Acme market in the neighborhood. The community group eventually pressured the developer to leave the supermarket in its current one-story form.

“I also have to say I’m quite disappointed in the eminent Mr. Timberlake's ‘hand in the face’ comment, which strikes me as nothing more than not in my backyard,” said Addimando, who is also vice president of the Building Industry Association.

“A lot of the parcels [left in Society Hill] are small parcels and, therefore, when constructed and designed, they are going to be towers,” said Addimando. “Those towers are going to block certain people’s views. That's part of living in a city.”

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Most likely yes given the existing relationship between the pair. And yes, his work is pretty boring but ultimately, architects have to work within the constraints given to them - specifically the developer's budget and vision. I'm sure if Baker was given an unlimited budget, he could design something splendid. 500 Walnut is pretty decent and better IMO than the Harper.

Oh and this Leo Addimando is my hero. He really took his out frustrations with his previous dealings with these NIMBYs over the Acme. But even still, everything he said made perfect sense.
It's true.

This guy has a right to be pissed at those idiots.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post

I had never heard of this guy before today, but I now find myself agreeing with everything he said.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 1:30 PM

Inga doesn't like it:

Society Hill was an urban planning masterpiece. Will these new towers ruin the design? | Inga Saffron

https://www.philly.com/real-estate/i...-20190214.html

I agree with her about the base, but I really don't care about what the Society Hill Towers look like from the riverfront. That's silly and sounds like people who complained about skyscrapers blocking the views of City Hall.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Inga doesn't like it:

Society Hill was an urban planning masterpiece. Will these new towers ruin the design? | Inga Saffron

https://www.philly.com/real-estate/i...-20190214.html

I agree with her about the base, but I really don't care about what the Society Hill Towers look like from the riverfront. That's silly and sounds like people who complained about skyscrapers blocking the views of City Hall.
Is the view of those buildings from Camden some sort of sacred cow? Cities change, this is minor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive