HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Add me to the list. My key card just stopped tapping one day on the sub and el. I called customer service and they told me the only solution was to physically show up at one of several designated customer service counters. The closest one to me was Jefferson Station, so I walked up and explained the problem, and they looked at me like I was stupid. So I explained it again, then they looked up my account and told me my key card must be working just fine because I had used it to tap onto the bus route. So I explained for a third time that the card would not tap into the el or subway turnstiles. After some more incredulous stares, I walked over to the regional rail turnstiles, demonstrated that they key card was not tapping, and then walked back to the customer service counter. Only then would they give me a new card.

I mean... you have to laugh. High key dysfunction, y'all.
Similar story for me and my wife. They believed me that the cards stopped working, but they wouldn't let me get new cards for both of us since she wasn't with me when I showed up (the times we physically had to be there were a struggle for her work schedule).

I also know MANY people who could not, or were unaware of the auto renewal capabilities.

Once you do all the research and take the time to get set up, it's not terrible most of the time, BUT there's a heavy time investment to get set up and when there is an issue, it's a huge pain. If you're in from out of town...forget it.

When I got married, we took the trolley from our house to the venue, and I had to leave out cash for the out of town wedding party to get there. I had to go to the bank and get ones and change, otherwise, they wouldn't have made it over. Tokens would have been easier.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 8:17 PM

Lush on Walnut suddenly closed. Word on the street is that they were bought out of their lease. Haven’t really heard of that happening before. Anyone know what that means exactly? Will another tenant be taking over the space?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 9:32 PM

SEPTA seems to be working on open-loop credit taps/mobile wallets alongside this QR code functionality. From what I understand, in order to accept contactless credit cards/mobile wallets, both the contactless readers and backend systems need to be updated to be compliant with credit card network standards. They have already replaced most fare readers (they started with buses and have started on subway turnstiles), but the backend system upgrades will be part of what they are dubbing "Key 2.0". They recently put out an RFI, are currently surveying customers, and say they will be putting out an RFP in the near future.

From what I've read, they are targeting this QR ticket functionality on Regional Rail riders and tourists - MetroNorth trains in CT work a similar way.

If I ran SEPTA, I would focus on solidifying the transit data APIs to be more reliable and accurate, and then partner with an established brand/app like Transit - that way SEPTA can focus on what they know best (their routes/timetables/vehicle status) and Apple/Google/Transit can work on creating the best transit navigation. SEPTA is never going to make a better iOS or Android app than Apple or Google, and I wish they would stop trying. Their lack of accurate real-time data is why we have screens in the subway stations that display nothing but the date.

As an example, these are the rich developer APIs Chicago's CTA offers:
https://www.transitchicago.com/developers/

Here is an article on Key 2.0:
https://www.inquirer.com/transportat...-20210628.html

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 1:46 AM

I thought the whole advantage of SEPTA being late to finally get rid of their tokens was that so they could study what's out there and develop the best, most advanced solution.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 3:18 AM

I will defend Septa on the usage of the QR code. Other transit systems world wide use the QR codes and tap pay as well. It's about have the most options to easily pay for transit. The QR code needs to stay.

I will also agree the implementation is horrible. Easily the app should have been allowed to link the Septa Key Travel wallet to buy the one time tickets. The fare policies need to be changed to have timed transfers up to 90 minutes. The tickets should have an option to buy a daily pass with unlimited scans regular Septa travel(not including Regional Rail).

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 12:01 PM

As wawa abandons Center City (along with some other chains) partially based on criminal activity I think this is a worthwhile read from Editorial Board. Regardless of your position on Krasner's worldview everyone should be able to agree that being a solo act and a poor manager isn't good for the city.

https://www.inquirer.com/opinion/edi...-20221026.html

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
As wawa abandons Center City (along with some other chains) partially based on criminal activity I think this is a worthwhile read from Editorial Board. Regardless of your position on Krasner's worldview everyone should be able to agree that being a solo act and a poor manager isn't good for the city.

https://www.inquirer.com/opinion/edi...-20221026.html
I find myself agreeing with you more and more every day. What is happening?!?

It's become apparent that regardless of what Krasner believes (and whether you agree with him or not), he's a miserable person and nobody likes working with him. He's an executive in charge of a sprawling department now, not an outside agitator. How he execute and manages day to day matters.

He had his chance. It's time to move on. I will likely vote against him in the next cycle if the Dems can put up a more viable alternative.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post

It's become apparent that regardless of what Krasner believes (and whether you agree with him or not), he's a miserable person and nobody likes working with him. He's an executive in charge of a sprawling department now, not an outside agitator. How he execute and manages day to day matters.

He had his chance. It's time to move on. I will likely vote against him in the next cycle if the Dems can put up a more viable alternative.
Can he run an unlimited number of times? If so, then I will also be voting against him next time and I voted for him in the 2021 general.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 1:45 PM

I have mixed feelings on the impeachment. On one hand, I think it's a dangerous precedent for state lawmakers (mostly rural with a strong disdain for the City) to interfere in local matters. As if they even care about what happens in Philadelphia? Especially considering that Kranser was just re-elected <12 months ago, winning by a substantial margin.

On the other hand, Krasner is awful. I personally think his election says more about Philly's voters than it does about his policies. For far too long, Philly voters have re-affirmed incumbents regardless of their performance or entanglement in corruption. Hell, the FBI's investigation into John Street actually helped his campaign. Bobby Henon and Kenyatta Johnson are other recent examples.

This city will only go as far as our elected leaders take it but unfortunately, the city's voters keep electing idiots.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I have mixed feelings on the impeachment. On one hand, I think it's a dangerous precedent for state lawmakers (mostly rural with a strong disdain for the City) to interfere in local matters. As if they even care about what happens in Philadelphia? Especially considering that Kranser was just re-elected <12 months ago, winning by a substantial margin.

On the other hand, Krasner is awful. I personally think his election says more about Philly's voters than it does about his policies. For far too long, Philly voters have re-affirmed incumbents regardless of their performance or entanglement in corruption. Hell, the FBI's investigation into John Street actually helped his campaign. Bobby Henon and Kenyatta Johnson are other recent examples.

This city will only go as far as our elected leaders take it but unfortunately, the city's voters keep electing idiots.
He ran against a scumbag who for all we know is a mobster who's girlfriend OD'd in his bathtub. That's not a ringing endorsement.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 2:16 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
I have mixed feelings on the impeachment. On one hand, I think it's a dangerous precedent for state lawmakers (mostly rural with a strong disdain for the City) to interfere in local matters. As if they even care about what happens in Philadelphia?
I know where you are going but they do care when it comes to the money, which goes into/comes from Philly. Besides the political piece I do think that this is the main driver underneath it all.

Quote:
Hell, the FBI's investigation into John Street actually helped his campaign. Bobby Henon and Kenyatta Johnson are other recent examples.

DC did the same with Marion Barry. Poor education, blind loyalty, criminals liking other criminals because it can benefit them...the dirty game of politics.

Quote:
He ran against a scumbag who for all we know is a mobster who's girlfriend OD'd in his bathtub. That's not a ringing endorsement.
This was a lot of it.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Some of us supported Vega in the primary. Wish we would have gotten more help but here we are…

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 3:23 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure of the exact number (there are multiple estimates out there) but Krasner was re-elected during the initial surge of violence by a landslide with 20% of Philadelphians voting. 20%.
You can NOT b!tch about Krasner and his policies if you didn't vote. And don't stand on the corner of your block lamenting the surge in violence and ow it finally touched you and your family if you re-elected him. Don't complain about retail like WAWA and CVS closing down services in the city. Krasner has effectively legalized ransacking an establishment up to $500.

Gun arrests are up 60% with gun convictions down by 40%. That statistic is STUNNING. You can say all you want about Krasner's personality, but that statistic alone should be what we consider when rating his performance.

I've never understood the "less people in jail" argument. That stat should be reflective of how many people are committing crime. And right now, the number of people committing crime is exploding. Less people committing crime will result in less people in jail. That should be the only variable that effects that number. The violent teen gangs know that there are no consequences. Until there are, they will continue to have their way with us.

Drug convictions? It's where there can be some leeway - to a degree. If it happens that a drug conviction shows the accused of serious involvement in a criminal enterprise, you're done. Violent criminals OF ANY AGE...you're done. Releasing children to parents should be based on an evaluation of the parents. Too many violent criminals go through that backdoor.

This mess starts with the people who elected this guy.

Last edited by Redddog; Oct 26, 2022 at 3:44 PM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 3:47 PM

Came across this on eClipse today. Felt significant - anybody know what's going on here?

"ZP-2022-011825
Oct 26, 2022
1900 S BROAD ST, Philadelphia, PA 19145-2304
MIFFLIN MEDICAL CENTER LL 2

Complete demolition of existing commercial building at 1900 S Broad Street"

The permit was filed by the same company who's owned it for the last 10 years, though the city's records seem to be outdated and it looks like it traded hands for $2.9m in September according to this: https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_40198882/

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Drug convictions? It's where there can be some leeway - to a degree. If it happens that a drug conviction shows the accused of serious involvement in a criminal enterprise, you're done. Violent criminals OF ANY AGE...you're done. Releasing children to parents should be based on an evaluation of the parents. Too many violent criminals go through that backdoor.

This mess starts with the people who elected this guy.
Listen you can be both for reform and for holding cops accountable. I don't know why it is so hard for politicians to thread these needles, its not that difficult.

That being said, I do believe there is room for leeway that involves more than just drugs. There should be more diversion programs and more creative ways for people to work off their sentencing for non-violent offenses, like community service etc. This city could be spotless if every short dumper (granted they're never prosecuted) had to do 200 hours of community service picking up short dumping.

There should also be more ways for people to expunge their records after a period of say, 10 years, if they've had no other criminal cases against them.

Anyways...but I agree on violent crime. There is no excuse for letting someone out on the street after being arrested for illegal possession of a weapon or any form of physical assault, etc.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 6:34 PM

Quote:

You're coming around. This is bigger than one elected officials out of control ego, lives are at stake. I saw his interview on FOX29 a few weeks ago and it was nauseating. He said there is NOTHING he could change or do better and spent most of the interview defending himself against MAGA republicans in Harrisburg. He is a man obsessed with his own image and ego- it seems to be more important anything else- including the safety of Philadelphians.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 6:37 PM

Quote:

He has gone around touting his landslide victories as if he beat out tough competition in high turnout elections- he has not. He had a primary challenger last year who he beat and then basically no competition in the general and participation was low. So he probably got the votes of 20% of Philadelphia's adults and he is going around talking about how he has a mandate and if anyone disagreed with him he wouldn't have racked up landslide margins. On Fox29 he actually said the city agrees with his positions and his job performance because he was elected by huge margins- if there were any issues he wouldn't have been re-elected so he is not changing course on ANYTHING.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
He has gone around touting his landslide victories as if he beat out tough competition in high turnout elections- he has not. He had a primary challenger last year who he beat and then basically no competition in the general and participation was low. So he probably got the votes of 20% of Philadelphia's adults and he is going around talking about how he has a mandate and if anyone disagreed with him he wouldn't have racked up landslide margins. On Fox29 he actually said the city agrees with his positions and his job performance because he was elected by huge margins- if there were any issues he wouldn't have been re-elected so he is not changing course on ANYTHING.
They don't post on this board apparently but there are obviously a lot of people who agree with him. And what do you want him to do? He can only run against the people he's running against. Don't like him? Put up some better candidates. He crushed his competition regardless of what you think of it.

Do I think he's done a great job? No, not really. Overall, pretty disappointing. When you're trying to change the system the odds are stacked against you and you need to not get in your own way. He's had a lot of own goals and he's needlessly made his job harder. He reminds me a lot of deposed Sixers GM Sam Hinkie. I agreed with what he was trying to do 100%, but it's dispiriting to support someone who isn't helping themselves. Like Hinkie, I wish Krasner was better at PR and could better articulate his policies and goals to the greater public.

Though I will say, I have no idea why McBane is lumping him in with a who's who of corrupt Philly politicians. There is no indication Krasner is corrupt and he's doing exactly the job he said he would do when he was elected in a landslide victory. And again low turnout, blah blah, it doesn't matter, he won.

At the end of the day his views on prosecution and public safety align with my own and so even though he's imperfect, I'd continue to support him, unless a better candidate ran who supported the same policies. I understand if people here disagree, and they're well within their rights to support someone else in the next election. This impeachment however is an illegal sham and regardless of what your think of Krasner you should all be fighting against it unless you want some hicks representing some podunk nowhere place having final say over who we democratically elect in our own city.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
They don't post on this board apparently but there are obviously a lot of people who agree with him.......
100% agree with everything you said here. The idea that people hate Krasner so much that they're willing to support the precedent being set that Harrisburg gets to overturn city elections without finding that a crime has been committed is insane to me.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Van Alen View Post
Came across this on eClipse today. Felt significant - anybody know what's going on here?

"ZP-2022-011825
Oct 26, 2022
1900 S BROAD ST, Philadelphia, PA 19145-2304
MIFFLIN MEDICAL CENTER LL 2

Complete demolition of existing commercial building at 1900 S Broad Street"

The permit was filed by the same company who's owned it for the last 10 years, though the city's records seem to be outdated and it looks like it traded hands for $2.9m in September according to this: https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_40198882/
Not a question for anyone in particular, but why on earth would this property be zoned for residential attached when it fronts Broad and the rest of the medical block is CMX-3. South Philly zoning is so bizarre

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development