HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I think downtown Manhattan is still a better area compared to current HY and Midtown (from Penn to Times square). The only areas that are better are like Columbus Circle, Grand Central area, and everything from Herald Sq to Union Sq.
That Penn to Times Sq area is just horrid Imo. I would be very upset if my office was there. Downtown Manhattan is not nearly as bad as people think. Very undervalued Manhattan area probably mostly due to the stigma of post-9/11 desolation of 2000s-early 2010s.
It's harder to get to, especially if you live in the 'burbs. Probably why the other areas are doing better. I read that more people are living there since 9/11, which helps. I still don't like the new design or the previous stacked box junk.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 11:28 PM
"Think about the Future"

Arrow

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 3:16 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I think downtown Manhattan is still a better area compared to current HY and Midtown (from Penn to Times square). The only areas that are better are like Columbus Circle, Grand Central area, and everything from Herald Sq to Union Sq.
That Penn to Times Sq area is just horrid Imo. I would be very upset if my office was there. Downtown Manhattan is not nearly as bad as people think. Very undervalued Manhattan area probably mostly due to the stigma of post-9/11 desolation of 2000s-early 2010s.

Downtown has direct connections to Jersey City and Hoboken, which makes it easy for Jersey commuters. And of course, the subway lines direct to Brooklyn. The area between Penn and Times Square is not really considered as being among the city's core business districts (which are more strictly defined). But as we've seen with the Hudson Yards area, what is it not necessarily what will be. The Hudson Yards was basically a wasteland of parking lots and warehouses. But it's been turned into one of the top business destinations, all thanks to a single subway line, and zoning. The Penn Station district is already a vibrant area, even if it doesn't have much in terms of the top office space, But as with the HY, that can change overnight.

As far as the WTC redevelopment goes, it's all a matter of availability. Silverstein could be filling this tower with tenants, it just needs to get built. But financing is harder to come by these days, especially without a large tenant signing. And for the people who all doubted that the WTC should be rebuilt at all, the only thing you need to know is this:

Quote:
“The WTC campus is 95% leased..."
That alone is a victory.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 8:44 PM

If is wasent for Hudson Yards, this tower would have been built and filled in 2015.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 1:59 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
If is wasent for Hudson Yards, this tower would have been built and filled in 2015.
Not really. Two different issues, two different parts of town. The Hudson Yards filled up quicker because even that part of Manhattan is still Midtown. JPMC once considered building a headquarters at 5 WTC. They looked at the Hudson Yards as well before deciding the best option for them. This tower was last redesigned when News Corp was going to anchor it. They didn't suddenly decide to move to Hudson Yards, they just didn't move. Early anchors of Hudson Yards towers like Coach and Time Warner were never going to move Downtown in any case.

https://gothamist.com/news/news-corp...g-out-of-2-wtc

Quote:
Looks like Rupert Murdoch's vassals aren't headed to the World Trade Center after all—both 21st Century Fox and News Corp will stay in Midtown, having previously struck a deal to serve as 2 World Trade Center's anchor tenants.

The Post, which is owned by News Corp., reports that the media companies will remain at 1211 and 1185 Sixth Avenue for the next decade, after landlord Callahan Capital Properties made them a deal to extend their lease by another five years.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 2:49 AM

Two World Trade Center is rarely in the news now compared to even 2017-2019, 2020, 2021 and early 2022, but here is a blurb about it in a New York Post article recently:

https://nypost.com/2023/04/02/condo-...ence-downtown/
Quote:
Asking office rents continue to ebb downward. Two World Trade Center seems no closer to rising than it did 10 years ago as Larry Silverstein prays for a tenant. An attractive beer garden and art installation can’t hide the disappointment of a World Trade Center one tower short of a full quartet.

The WTC complex still doesn’t have a single full-service restaurant outside of Eataly. The Westfield Mall and the Oculus remain a food wasteland despite having a few fast-casual spots.
Hopefully with the re-opening of Century 21 on April 25, 2023 and the completion of the PAC later in September 2023, not only will there be more tourist and business activity spurring retail and dining in 3 WTC and the Oculus, but also more interest in Two WTC from prospective tenants.

This video render from https://tribecacitizen.com/2023/03/0...g-arts-center/ (specific video: https://vimeo.com/803187868?embedded...owner=48150388) shows from 1:16 to 1:33, 2:06 to 3:27 and 4:02 to 4:35, that within a few years after the construction of the PAC is complete and the PAC is open to the public, trees might line the eastern section of Greenwich Street and northern section of Fulton Street around the site of Two WTC, while the site itself remains inactive. Currently there are planters positioned along these sections, many of which need to have the shrubs and vines in them replaced annually.

The setup that could arise for the interim period while construction is pending reminds me a bit of how trees were temporarily planted in the mid 1970s at the site of 3 WTC on the original WTC site, before the hotel at that site began construction in the early 1980s. Beautification of the site in this way might also attract more positive attention from prospective tenants. Right now the scene around Two WTC with only graffiti colored planters lining eastern sections of Greenwich Street and northern sections of Fulton Street is really starting to get old and wear out its welcome imo.

Last edited by worldtrade2021; Apr 11, 2023 at 3:00 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 2:26 PM

That statement about restaurants is very misleading.
Its true that WTC complex doesn't have that many restaurants *inside the WTC buildings themselves*, but there are plenty of restaurants in nearby buildings.
Brookfield place is miles better than the Hudson Yards mall, and for more upscale dining there are places like Nobu. Hudson Yards is practically a food desert compared to downtown.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 7:36 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Hopefully with the re-opening of Century 21 on April 25, 2023 and the completion of the PAC later in September 2023, not only will there be more tourist and business activity spurring retail and dining in 3 WTC and the Oculus, but also more interest in Two WTC from prospective tenants.
While that'll be nice for the area does that really up the chances of landing a tenant much?

God I hope so... if this doesn't get started this decade I've lost hope.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperPower View Post

Can't believe I am saying this but the stacked boxes proposal does not look too bad from that angle...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
While that'll be nice for the area does that really up the chances of landing a tenant much?

God I hope so... if this doesn't get started this decade I've lost hope.
It is better at least than if the PAC site had remained an inactive/inaccessible construction site not built up to street level and if Century 21 had not planned to re-open.

Clearly the WTC branding or availability of Class A office space at the site hasn't been enough by itself to be a good sell to tenants.

Imo although developers at Silverstein Properties know that the longer time it takes for construction plans to be made on Two WTC, the more difficult it will be to build, they aren't at all willing to build on spec or contend with the possibility of leasing to minor tenants that only occupy a few floors in a case-by-case situation as the building is being built. They insisted on having this same approach in 2021 and 2022. The situation now for leasing is arguably worse than in 2021 and 2022. So they have to rely on the area around Two WTC being seen as an attractive prospect that stands out and exceeds expectations compared to other locations, as far as major would-be anchor tenants are concerned.

The re-opening of Century 21, the opening of the PAC and (hopefully) beautification of the eastern sections of Greenwich Street and northern sections of Fulton Street with trees might help to this end, along with if there are more restaurants and retail opening on the lower floors of 3 WTC (not likely now, but perhaps at a later time in the future).

Of all the recent developments at the WTC site, the opening of the PAC probably has the most potential to attract new tenants, but there probably needs to be more retail leasing activity for 3 WTC also, as that has been a consistent deficiency pointed to as a drawback and sign of inactivity that could be making tenants wary of committing to the site.

The abundant sponsored graffiti on the planters and shuttered retail in 3 WTC is doing the site no favors, it just makes portions of it look abandoned.

Frankly whoever is in charge of development and is choosing to wait on a major tenant before they even consider making serious construction plans is making the wrong decision if they ever want to see this building built. Until there is actual news of a schedule for actual construction work and renders are publicly viewable on https://www.wtc.com/office-space/2-world-trade-center, any new news can just be considered speculation. Requests for comment on the status of 2 WTC are repeatedly ignored or forwarded to non responsive people, so it is not even clear what the developers are even considering at this stage.

Edit: there is always something or the other

Last edited by worldtrade2021; Apr 11, 2023 at 11:25 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 11:18 PM

Just curious…would there ever be a chance the tower would be taller than WTC 1?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 3:07 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by epdesign View Post
just curious…would there ever be a chance the tower would be taller than wtc 1?
no.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 11:33 AM
"Think about the Future"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
Can't believe I am saying this but the stacked boxes proposal does not look too bad from that angle...
Sadly the stacked Jenga boxes look goofy in the grand scheme of the complex, not only is Foster's design more refined & scaled accordingly for the entirety of the WTC site but the top panels reflect light back downward into the two memorial pools.

This mildew or garden box 'environmentally friendly' trend is pampering to the whole woke community of noobs and vegan protesters that most sane people wouldn't want to be in the same building let alone neighborhood as...

IMHO.. These box towers with gnome moss-gardens look good as residential buildings in Greenwich Village or SoHo rising a few hundred meters at best but not as the apex of the more business centric WTC and lower Manhattan skyline.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 3:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperPower View Post

I'll take the one on the left, please.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 5:49 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
Just curious…would there ever be a chance the tower would be taller than WTC 1?
IMO, would it look better to have had 2WTC be the zenith height of the WTC master plan instead of the graduated Libeskind plan? Yes.

Has that ship sailed? Yes.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 5:51 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I'd take the stacked boxes any day over that diamond Foster bizarro. Probably in the minority though.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 7:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

i dislike the stacked boxes. I am really getting sick of that starchitectural style.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 7:15 PM
Show me the blueprints

I don't think of the BIG design to be stacked boxes as much as it is a stair step as the facade is flush on two sides.

I also think it compliments 1WTC better than the Foster as the vertical outward taper is its inverse.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 8:05 PM
"Think about the Future"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

Most (in this thread) seem to prefer Foster's original design as it compliments the memorial better. BIG & Foster's later designs are ok.. maybe built by themselves elsewhere or in midtown.

Eitherway it looks like this site will be vacant for the time being with some recent hope that maybe 5WTC will pick up steam. No major tenant, recession, tigher lending, interest rates rising and falling commercial prices are problematic. However, I'll gladly wait a few more years if they can resurrect the original.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 9:44 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I'd take the stacked boxes any day over that diamond Foster bizarro. Probably in the minority though.
Probably, this may surprise people but I don't really love either that much. The diamond design is nice from some angles but looks messy at the top due to the proportions.

I actually like the new design(s), if only it could be built on spec or land a tenant.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction