HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 11:37 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHao View Post
Try taking the redline and then bus over to the university.
I take the Hyde Park Express bus, quite honestly. Still takes LSD!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 2:07 AM
Chicago

321 N Clark

July 5, 2018

July 6, 2018

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 2:09 AM
Chicago

61 Banks Street

July 6, 2018

61 Banks Street on the right ^

Construction Updates:
http://61banksstreet.com/updates/

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 2:12 AM
Chicago

Lakefront Trail Separation Project

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 2:18 AM
Chicago

Navy Pier Flyover

July 6, 2018

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 2:33 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
It seems like such a bizarre economic decision to throw away tens of millions of potential profit by squandering such an incredible lakefront lot for such a joke of a stump. I will never understand the thinking behind this and I could care less how it turns out, I freaking hate everything about it.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 4:39 AM

I vaguely remember this being reported here maybe? The CEO of Kellogg's (and before that..CEO of Nature's Bounty) bought a $5.6M house in Lincoln Park at the end of May. He does have ties to Chicago from the mid 1990s and he went to Northwestern for undergrad.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 5:04 AM
Development Shill

"I could care less about how it turns out"

Don't you mean you couldn't care less? People butcher that expression to this day, and I don't understand how or why...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ Yes, this was the site of Capri Capital's Metropolis proposal.

This new plan appears to be from McLaurin, who was the developer behind the other CHA/Target land deal at Division/Larrabee. It's good to see they are entertaining a mixed-use concept here instead of a single-use Target structure.

Also the blurb on their webpage mentions an elevated walking path from the Dan Ryan to the lakefront, presumably a conversion of the old CTA Kenwood Branch viaduct... this could get quite expensive since most of the bridges are gone, so it's probably just a empty promise (the 606 was almost $100M, Kenwood is half as long but requires more costly bridges). But I'm glad to see somebody thinking about this for the Kenwood viaduct, especially with the new lakefront bridge at 41st that would directly connect to this trail. That's an amenity that really could speed up the transformation of Bronzeville, since it sits exactly halfway between the gentrified fringes of South Loop and Hyde Park.

A decade ago when Toni Preckwinkle was alderman, she wanted to tear down the viaduct for (at-grade) green space, but the concrete construction of the walls is so massive that the demolition costs were crazy. It's cheaper just to leave the walls in place, CTA will do the same thing on the North Red Line and build a mini-viaduct on top of the old concrete embankment.

It looks like there's a gap in the old viaduct where a housing development was built between Cottage Grove and Drexel. There's a few rows of homes directly athwart the old viaduct course.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ Yes, this was the site of Capri Capital's Metropolis proposal.

This new plan appears to be from McLaurin, who was the developer behind the other CHA/Target land deal at Division/Larrabee. It's good to see they are entertaining a mixed-use concept here instead of a single-use Target structure.

Also the blurb on their webpage mentions an elevated walking path from the Dan Ryan to the lakefront, presumably a conversion of the old CTA Kenwood Branch viaduct... this could get quite expensive since most of the bridges are gone, so it's probably just a empty promise (the 606 was almost $100M, Kenwood is half as long but requires more costly bridges). But I'm glad to see somebody thinking about this for the Kenwood viaduct, especially with the new lakefront bridge at 41st that would directly connect to this trail. That's an amenity that really could speed up the transformation of Bronzeville, since it sits exactly halfway between the gentrified fringes of South Loop and Hyde Park.

A decade ago when Toni Preckwinkle was alderman, she wanted to tear down the viaduct for (at-grade) green space, but the concrete construction of the walls is so massive that the demolition costs were crazy. It's cheaper just to leave the walls in place, CTA will do the same thing on the North Red Line and build a mini-viaduct on top of the old concrete embankment.

Turing that viaduct into a southside 606 would spark a land rush like this city has never seen. I already think Bronzeville is highly desirable, imho let people ignore the southside, keeps it more affordable for those in the know.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 1:20 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
It seems like such a bizarre economic decision to throw away tens of millions of potential profit by squandering such an incredible lakefront lot for such a joke of a stump. I will never understand the thinking behind this and I could care less how it turns out, I freaking hate everything about it.
Uhhh, it’s not like the developers wouldn’t build a highrise here if they had a choice. This particularly lot has a long history of legal battles, and the NIMBYism here is on an epic level. Just not gonna happen.

Ultimately, I’m not really that upset that a highrise wasn’t built here considering the hurdles.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 2:14 PM

Quote:
It wasn't an economic decision...The developers would have loved to build something taller/denser, but the lot had been downzoned and I believe a neighboring building owns the air rights (though not 100% sure on that).

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Uhhh, it’s not like the developers wouldn’t build a highrise here if they had a choice. This particularly lot has a long history of legal battles, and the NIMBYism here is on an epic level. Just not gonna happen.

Ultimately, I’m not really that upset that a highrise wasn’t built here considering the hurdles.
I know someone who lives in the building next door on LSD and I'll have to ask about the situation. Yes, that building has long been known as a hot bed of unhappiness, and I remember having to hear about the lobby wars a few years ago. They complain about everything. On the other hand, those units on the north wall are clear through from East to West, so they have both lake and city views. It looks like the window on the North/East corner isn't blocked, and the other one on the North/West is insignificant in the greater scheme of things. IIRC, that's a bedroom that also has West facing windows. So, the views aren't really impeded. Don't know about the building behind, I've never really thought about it.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 3:28 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
"I could care less about how it turns out"

Don't you mean you couldn't care less? People butcher that expression to this day, and I don't understand how or why...
Wow, your literally so smart and cool. To be pacific, by in large I usually get it write. For all intensive purposes you seem to be making me an escape goat just for effect. So ironic.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The 3 story building at the SE corner of State & Elm got its demo permit. Replacement building is supposed to be a more modern looking 3 story building. This is across the street, south, of 4 E Elm.

Current: https://www.google.com/maps/place/11...!4d-87.6283748

Source: http://www.newcastlelimited.com/port...il-gold-coast/
There has got to be a better solution to addressing plenum space than covering it over in those cheap composite panels. There are two other developments exactly like this within blocks (that True Food kitchen or whatever it is looks particularly bad--it feels like there is more opaque material than glass).

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 3:48 PM
devout Pizzatarian

admittedly i'm now old and out of touch, but i'm confused by the "Antietam" branding signage in that rendering.

what business enterprise would possibly want to associate its brand name with the bloodiest day in US history?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 4:03 PM
Urbane observer

^People who wish you a "happy Memorial Day."

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 4:03 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Perhaps they are emboldened by the uber-successful opening of that Kursk store opening up in Frankfurt Germany

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 5:01 PM

Milwaukee Ave Walk

Decided to walk from Logan Square to Grand Avenue.

I figured it would be easier to go to the pictures than having them here.

Nice to see the foundation work going on at Tandem Apartments across from Spoke Apartments

https://imgur.com/a/KQP89PR

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Wow, your literally so smart and cool. To be pacific, by in large I usually get it write. For all intensive purposes you seem to be making me an escape goat just for effect. So ironic.
As a grammar-phile myself, I must admit, this was pure fireworks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development