HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 8:02 PM
arf

Thoughts on Flickr and SmugMug?

So I got an email the other day saying that SmugMug has acquired Flickr. Anyone knows what this may mean for the photo hosting service many of us use?

The tag lines say not to worry, but you know what that means in many contexts.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 8:43 PM

Apparently, SmugMug doesn't allow nude photos on their services and maybe nude photos won't be allowed on Flickr either.

Flickr has been neglected a lot time and maybe it is good that is owned by a company that actually cares.

Remember, SmugMug is not really a competitor to Flickr. SmugMug is more a portfolio/gallery site like Zenfolio, while Flickr is more of a social network like Instagram. I don't think there is major conflict in SmugMug owning Flickr, so I wouldn't worry about major changes.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 9:21 PM
Registered Ugly

At some point, it might get seriously difficult to post photo sets on SSP. Currently I use Flickr exclusively, coupling the Flickr API with Workflow to automate multiple processes with SSP. This includes article posting and compiling photo links and wrapping them with BBCode so it's not an enormous pain in the ass just to do simple, repetitive tasks. If the new owner removes the BBCode links, or disables the API, I'm not sure where most forumers will go from there.

Also, just think of all of the photo threads that have been ruined by the changes Photobucket went through. All of those years of hard work for everyone. Guess it just goes to show what we risk when we trust the cloud for our hosting.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography