HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 2:24 PM

There would have to be VBulletin [flickr] or something to install on the forum and use that, because we don't use HTML here.

There is one but it seems to only be available for VB4 and up.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 2:47 PM

A couple things I like about another forum I frequent are the thanks button and thread rating.

The thanks button is simply a way to reward people for useful/informative/insightful/interesting posts.

The thread rating is a rating of 1 to 5 stars.

Not sure if a thanks button could be added to this forum, but I'm pretty sure thread rating could be added.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 4:11 PM

Maybe we have to accept the fact that the forum can't be improved, people don't come to this site to view photos, most of the time I see 70-100 people viewing a section with only 5-8 actual members, and if you go to ssc it's even worse despite the fact they have 15 times more members...maybe if you allow guests to make comments things might get interesting

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 5:33 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Yeah, I was wondering that myself.. I'm not sure if there is a rule that a photothread must actually contain photos and not merely a link to someone's Flickr page...

Flickr®

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 6:03 PM
Dryer lint inspector

The problem with the photography forums is that unless you're one of handful of select photographers, you're simply not going to get views or comments you'd like which is disconcerting and kills any desire to create any future photothreads. This is not a professional photo forum but I think many forget that aspect.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Yeah, I was wondering that myself.. I'm not sure if there is a rule that a photothread must actually contain photos and not merely a link to someone's Flickr page...
The guy has done it several times before. I thought he maybe didn't know how so I commented on one of his threads telling him people usually make photothreads and supplied instructions of how to do so. Guess he is just lazy. I think it degrades the forum's integrity if people just start posting links.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 6:13 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
The problem with the photography forums is that unless you're one of handful of select photographers, you're simply not going to get views or comments you'd like which is disconcerting and kills any desire to create any future photothreads. This is not a professional photo forum but I think many forget that aspect.
I agree. It's one of the reasons I've only posted a few clusters of photos on a couple of threads as of late, and haven't done any of my own photothreads. Nowhere near enough comments, either good or bad. Lack of response is definitely keeping the photo forums pretty quiet nowadays.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 6:29 PM

Replies are down across the board, I used to get like 40 comments every time. But my threads got fewer comments in 2012: 13, 17, 25, 21, 35, 40, 28, 39, 26, and 36. The biggest difference is that in the "good old days" you would get a bunch of replies right away. Now there are days or even weeks between replies.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 9:49 PM
Red October standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okayyou View Post
The guy has done it several times before. I thought he maybe didn't know how so I commented on one of his threads telling him people usually make photothreads and supplied instructions of how to do so. Guess he is just lazy. I think it degrades the forum's integrity if people just start posting links.
i clicked his link; the photos look good and interesting, but i'm too lazy to go through all of those on flickr...which is why photothreads are awesome.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
I agree. It's one of the reasons I've only posted a few clusters of photos on a couple of threads as of late, and haven't done any of my own photothreads. Nowhere near enough comments, either good or bad. Lack of response is definitely keeping the photo forums pretty quiet nowadays.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Unknown towns and locales on the side can prompt more interest because it's not one of the same old large cities you see all the time.

Including a photo that would prompt a reaction in addition would be more liekly to prompt a reply, such as one time LSyd here commented on my picture of an old Buffalo fire box thing on the sidewalk.

And then there's slanting a thread into a city discussion, that some have done without even trying, usually when ridiculous assumptions and premises are put forward that pertain to the reason for the particular photographs they presented.

And stuff......

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
Unknown towns and locales on the side can prompt more interest because it's not one of the same old large cities you see all the time.

Including a photo that would prompt a reaction in addition would be more liekly to prompt a reply, such as one time LSyd here commented on my picture of an old Buffalo fire box thing on the sidewalk.

And then there's slanting a thread into a city discussion, that some have done without even trying, usually when ridiculous assumptions and premises are put forward that pertain to the reason for the particular photographs they presented.

And stuff......
I don't know about that first point. Yes, some unknown locales might generate interest but of the many places I've made threads of, the familiar are more popular than the unknown.

Second point is dead on. Want replies, make a thread showing decay in Detroit.

Yes, traffic is down across the boards, but we are at a chicken and egg argument. Do people post less because traffic is down or is traffic down because people are posting less. I would argue, and have in this thread, a lot of people have left the site because the photo forums are overrun with noise. Lots of ways to increase the signal strength but I'm getting the message that there is no intention to make changes by those that are able to do so.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 8:11 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
I don't know about that first point. Yes, some unknown locales might generate interest but of the many places I've made threads of, the familiar are more popular than the unknown.

Second point is dead on. Want replies, make a thread showing decay in Detroit.

Yes, traffic is down across the boards, but we are at a chicken and egg argument. Do people post less because traffic is down or is traffic down because people are posting less. I would argue, and have in this thread, a lot of people have left the site because the photo forums are overrun with noise. Lots of ways to increase the signal strength but I'm getting the message that there is no intention to make changes by those that are able to do so.
What message is that, exactly? I wish I were able to program in vBulletin, alas I'm not. I am still working on getting some of the proposed changes implemented, but it's not just an easy fix and a few code changes, unfortunately.

Give me some time, hopefully I can get one of our Admins that DOES know how to do some programming to see what they can do to try and get some of the changes accomplished.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
What message is that, exactly? I wish I were able to program in vBulletin, alas I'm not. I am still working on getting some of the proposed changes implemented, but it's not just an easy fix and a few code changes, unfortunately.

Give me some time, hopefully I can get one of our Admins that DOES know how to do some programming to see what they can do to try and get some of the changes accomplished.

Aaron (Glowrock)
Well that is what I meant by those able to do so. The only response I saw from one of the Admins was a while back, along the lines of 'Last time we tried a change, things went badly.' So far most of the ideas pitched feel like they are falling on deaf ears. If you guys are working on stuff that is good news, but this is the first response to indicate this. Thanks for taking this up Glowrock.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 9:36 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
....but I'm getting the message that there is no intention to make changes by those that are able to do so.
Bear in mind that we (mods and admins) actually have jobs and careers outside of this forum and the last I checked, we really haven't come up with a consensus as what to do...only that we need to make some changes and that some vbulletin stuff is involved (something neither glowrock nor myself are familiar with) but when we are, I can get with Dylan or Mike to implament those changes.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 10:15 PM
Red October standing by

i like the idea of a "regularly updated thread" section, so we don't drown in seeing someone's one week vacation unfold over three months.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
i like the idea of a "regularly updated thread" section, so we don't drown in seeing someone's one week vacation unfold over three months.

-
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think sounds like the most agreed upon fix. Move the regularly updated threads to another spot.

Second seems to be do something about the old threads getting bumped. While I don't mind this as much it does get ridiculous when the thread is 4 yrs old and the thread starter isn't even an active user anymore.

A possible solution: make a section for all new threads, A-Z. Threads stay there for 2 weeks, then drop out into the A-M & N-Z sections. That way, the 3-5 photos at a time eventually drop out and the old bumped threads never make it back to the new section.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 11:33 PM

That could work, if it's programmed to automatically move threads after a specified amount of time after the thread was first posted.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 2:56 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think sounds like the most agreed upon fix. Move the regularly updated threads to another spot.

Second seems to be do something about the old threads getting bumped. While I don't mind this as much it does get ridiculous when the thread is 4 yrs old and the thread starter isn't even an active user anymore.

A possible solution: make a section for all new threads, A-Z. Threads stay there for 2 weeks, then drop out into the A-M & N-Z sections. That way, the 3-5 photos at a time eventually drop out and the old bumped threads never make it back to the new section.
I like the regularly updated thread section. I'd totally be down for that.

And call me crazy, but I like the random bumped threads.
I've seen some incredibly stuff that I would have missed otherwise because of it.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 3:24 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
I like the regularly updated thread section. I'd totally be down for that.
Let's do it. I'll get with someone who is familair with forum software to look into implamenting this.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 8:03 AM
Paramoderator

Yay!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography