HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 3:27 AM
them bones

I have a 10 year old Canon 30d that I am in desperate need of upgrading. It's been around the world and takes pictures like it. It was also the last sensor that Canon made without a sensor cleaner (fucking dust spots).

Now that I have children (and mortgage, etc, etc) I can't just go spend as much as I want on such things.

It looks like I will pick up a Canon 70d after the 80d comes out on Friday.

Question: does anyone have a Tamron 16-300mm lens? I'm torn at the moment between buying another Canon 70-300mm lens (dropped!) and trying to get my Canon 17-85mm lens repaired (it has a hair in it) or spending a tad bit less for the Tamron and eliminating the lens changes. Changing lenses is just a pain when travelling with two children. I would love to buy an L glass or a 2.8 lens but it's not in my budget at the moment.

Or should I just suck it up and buy a full frame camera?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 3:25 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Or should I just suck it up and buy a full frame camera?
I can't speak much to your needs, but I can say the Canon 6D is great and affordable full-frame camera. It lacks the crazy fast autofocus and shooting speed needed for shooting sports that you would get with a 5D, but for studio work, landscapes, architecture and street photography, it's fantastic.

On that note, another consideration might be to look for an older 5D (MkI or MkII) with a low actuation count or refurbished shutter.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 1:21 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

picked up a canon ts-e-24mm for my birthday back in june quikly turning into my favorit lens

kinda now want the 17mm now.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 3:38 AM

I bought Olympus E-M1 Mark II and Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro at the end of 2019. 20 megapixels and claimed 6.5 stops of combined in-body and in-lens image stabilization. Big leap from my Olympus C-7070 from 2005, with only 7 megapixels and no image stabilization.

I was planning to go to Vietnam to visit relatives, including my 2-year-old cousin. Once-in-a-lifetime moments needed to captured, both photo and video, and camera from 2005 just wouldn't be enough, especially for video. Of course, for a months-long overseas trip in a rainy tropical country, a more versatile and weather-sealed camera-lens combo without need to bring along a tripod is ideal, plus more combined storage space than the 1.8GB of my C-7070WZ.

Of course, trip got cancelled anyways due to COVID, didn't get to meet my cousin while he was still 2 years old. Maybe I didn't really need a new camera that badly. Certainly didn't need full frame. Are my 2020 photos actually better than my 2019 and earlier photos? I'll let you guys decide.

Maybe upgrading is not so important, but it's still feels good having a newer, up-to-date camera that I can hand-hold at 1/2 second shutter speed and still get sharp images. Just need to learn the new controls and get used to the "faux SLR" shape and size (the C-7070WZ was a "faux rangefinder" compact).

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 5:02 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

For a long time I was using a Canon SX20 digital superzoom, but it started having problems with the lens motor (especially in the cold... particularly frustrating when I was taking pictures of penguins on a windy day at McMurdo) and I decided I would try to learn more about photography as a pandemic hobby.

So I bought a Canon Rebel SL3 nearly 2 years ago, and now have the following lenses:
Canon EF-S 18-55 mm f/4-5.6 (the crappy kit lens)
Canon EF-S 55-250 mm f/4-5.6 (telephoto zoom lens)
Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8
Canon EF-S 24 mm f/f2.8
Canon EF-S 15-85 mm f/3.5-5.6 (since I got this lens a few months ago I never use the kit lens)
Canon EF-S 10-18 mm f/4.5-5.6 wide angle lens

My dad also just gave me his ancient film SLR, a Soviet-made Zenit-E, though I haven't tried to see if it still works after ~30 years of no use. For it I have a 58 mm f/2 and 135 mm f/3.5 lens (soviet-made, obviously both fully manual). I did pick up an M42-EF adapter and have taken a few test pictures through the 135 mm lens.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 2:20 AM
Dryer lint inspector

I have a Zenit-E as well, the one with the Moscow Olympics logo. Simple but pretty reliable cameras.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 2:44 AM

I bought new lens last October, the Olympus 8-25mm F4, an ultra-wide zoom. It's my second lens ever, and I am still nervous about changing lenses, lol. Still only changed lenses a few times so far. I used the lens for my "Boxing-Day-in-the-Burbs" thread, and I still haven't bought a third lens yet.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 8:21 AM

With the exception of the Old TG-6 and Sealife cameras there or no autonomous underwater cameras like the Nikonos or Nikon RS. It seems like in a market that will spend 10K plus for an underwater setup, there would be room for a pro-level underwater camera with an interchangeable lens. What do you guys think on the possibility?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography