HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 11:58 PM
Fourth and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcitement View Post
I'm very familiar with this deal. Actually, this merger will result in fewer jobs. And BB&T will remain in their downtown tower for the duration of their lease. They are sensitive to the loss of jobs in the other cities and they've always been a comparatively more frugal (i.e. less flashy) bank than their larger competitors, going back to John Allison's tenure. Look for a future decision on their actual permanent HQ city in about 2-3 years. That's where incentives b/n Atlanta, Charlotte, and even Miami will be brought into the competition. As for now, Charlotte is their HQ... but no guarantees it will stay there. They just want to ease through the regulatory approval phase.
From what I understand, not many jobs are moving from Winston-Salem. I also noticed it appears as if King won't be there for long. At that point, in the very near future, it appears as if the SunTrust side takes enough control of this bank to possibly move it to Atlanta. I wouldn't be surprised if a few North Carolina execs., leave at that point, giving the SunTrust side of the merger more control over the bank. This is something Atlanta wants. I do believe the SunTrust CEO will try to move the merged bank to Atlanta when he becomes CEO again. Both Winston-Salem and Charlotte need to be aware of this. And I see I'm not the only one who noticed this, as I look at the post above mine.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 12:59 AM

^^^ That very well could happen. But the creation of the innovation and technology center is already a win for Charlotte (new jobs). SunTrust CEO graduated from Carolina so he does have some ties to the state so who knows.

And yep they are gonna stay put, a lot of years left on their lease.

Quote:
The 22-story BB&T Center serves as the primary office for BB&T in the Queen City. The bank inked a 10-year renewal there for 120,000 square feet in 2016, so it still has a significant amount of term left on its lease.
https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott...s-skyline.html

Pics of their current building in uptown from today. The building is slated to go under renovations soon. I work in Charlotte Plaza (to the right) aka The Darth Vader building lol.

The BB&T Ball Park will have a new name obviously.

Also from today. One of the best things about compact center city is that you don't have to go far to get a good panorama.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 1:12 AM

And speaking of banks, First National Bank tower construction site. Gonna miss the mural.

Waiting patiently for Duke II renderings....I believe that Feb will be the last month for parking here? Not sure. More bank towers under construction: Legacy Union (Bank of America) and Ally Charlotte Center (Ally Financial).

Charlotte is ready for the NBA All-Star Weekend.

Last edited by Rhodium; Feb 8, 2019 at 1:31 AM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 2:13 AM

Thinking about it, dang all of the office towers under construction or recently completed are all financial companies.

I believe Duke Corp (2010) was the last non-financial tower built, but even then it was supposed to be Wachovia's HQ (and Wells Fargo owns the building).

So Duke II will be the first true non-banking tower in like FOREVER!

Non-financial towers are rare....can't think of any home-grown companies that will build in uptown. Maybe Lowes? They are planning a tech center, but haven't decided where yet.

The newly relocated Honeywell could still anchor an uptown building I guess.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 9:22 PM

An interesting article about the future of banking industry. Since there's like a gazillion financial workers in uptown, I never thought about talent shortage. Perhaps there will be more future mergers to benefit Charlotte.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/seeking...regional-banks

On the traffic side of things, it is getting worse and worse. Feel like there are exponentially more people on the road every year. My commute two yrs ago was 20 mins...now 40 mins. Not looking forward to the coming years.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 9:16 AM

My old stomping ground is looking pretty damn good.
I used to work in the BB&T building back when Southern Bell was located in the building back in the early 80s.

It was one of the big 4 skyscrapers back then. NCNB, First Union, Wachovia, what is now the BB&T building were "the" skyline before the Darth Vader building blocked the BB&T building from view.

Charlotte has grown like a weed seen the 80s, and had planned a vibrant Uptown that is remarkable to say the lest.

I moved to Atlanta after the 1996 Olympics and have watched the city grow from afar.

Please keep posting pics and updates so the rest of the world will know Charlotte is getting there.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 12:36 AM

Personally, I don't want a roof. One of the things that I look forward to on game days is the skyline view. Also as a society, I feel like we spend way too much time inside (home, car, office etc.). So I always look forward to outdoor venues.

https://twitter.com/Panthers/status/1094642303942180864

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 3:58 PM

wish more cities had an amazing view like this!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 9:51 PM

Updated visual and project info (height, floor, use, status etc.) in the link https://www.charlotteagenda.com/1561...nging-skyline/

Crane for Legacy II going up

From yesterday, preparations for the NBA All Star at Epicentre

At the Mint Museum

https://twitter.com/HomesoftheSouth/...35079972634624

Quote:
@Edifice_inc
Some incredible views from 7th Street Storage facility under construction #charlotteconstruction #proffittdixson #selfstorage #charlotteskyline
https://twitter.com/Edifice_inc/stat...23041438986240

Quote:
@CLTAirport
The second tallest @FAANews ATC Tower in ������������ is nearing completion. The lighting effects are on and ready for #NBAAllStar. Welcome to #BuzzCity ������ @CLTPhotos

Last edited by Rhodium; Feb 15, 2019 at 10:11 PM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 10:31 AM

Charlotte is starting to look sexy, filling in well

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 6:58 PM

Looks so dense.

What would the skyline look like with Southend in the pic too? Any taller buildings over that way yet?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 7:49 PM
Everywhere all at once

I don't know if there are many buildings above 12 floors beyond Uptown...yet. However, it is becoming more apparent to me that with the proliferation of mid-rise and/or multifamily construction, the LYNX line might be one of the unsung successes of modern transit expansions. Particularly in the last few years, the areas northeast and southwest of Uptown are increasingly likely to host taller buildings in the near future. Connecting to another major activity center at UNC is going to be tremendous for the areas in between the campus and Uptown. I would also expect that Charlotte's aggressive expansion of CLT capacity could lead to a transit connection to the airport sooner than we think.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
I don't know if there are many buildings above 12 floors beyond Uptown...yet. However, it is becoming more apparent to me that with the proliferation of mid-rise and/or multifamily construction, the LYNX line might be one of the unsung successes of modern transit expansions. Particularly in the last few years, the areas northeast and southwest of Uptown are increasingly likely to host taller buildings in the near future. Connecting to another major activity center at UNC is going to be tremendous for the areas in between the campus and Uptown. I would also expect that Charlotte's aggressive expansion of CLT capacity could lead to a transit connection to the airport sooner than we think.
Totally agree. I think Charlotte should fast track their transit expansions ASAP. What they did previously has been wildly successful and a positive influence on development.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 12:08 AM
Posh

They need a really tall one just about where the FNB Tower is.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post

They almost had one many years back. It would have been stunning with all this buildup around it now.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
If only 300 South Tryon was taller...that's the best location imo. Oh well.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 6:37 PM
Everywhere all at once

It may be true that 300 S Tryon was a prime lot, but all the parking garages a block over (as seen directly in front of 300 in most of that video) look like they'll be prime for redevelopment in the coming years. Romare Bearden Park I believe will continue to catalyze development and a good chunk of new construction in the near future will proceed to envelope the park. You know how developers love to go big on a prime park-facing lot.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 8:47 PM

Romare Bearden Park is almost developed all the way around it. Are there any other parks or planned parks in Uptown?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
Romare Bearden Park is almost developed all the way around it. Are there any other parks or planned parks in Uptown?
There's 4th Ward Park, but it is in historic neighborhood and is strictly residential.

Existing Marshall Park in 2nd Ward is part of the 17-acre Brooklyn Village redevelopment...park will be reduced in size unfortunately, but will be surrounded by future residential/retail/office buildings.

1st Ward Park has the potential to be like Romare in terms of view. Bounded by 7th Street Station/Market, Children Musuem, UNC Charlotte building, 33-story Lennar Residential (u/c), and there are future plans (hotels/office/residential and another UNCC building)...however most of the developable land is controlled by Daniel Levine (20 acres to be exact) and he is taking forever (building a piece-meal at a time).

I usually see more kids at First Ward Park than Romare. Must be that $100K jungle gym.

Here is the master plan....block 42 is now Lennar Residential and Homewood Suites. A 2nd UNCC building is in the work per the school newspaper. Hopefully, we will hear more about it soon. Levine won't build his 20-story Noah's Ark without a tenant. Hope he sells more parcels to other developers b/c his execution is painfully slow. The 10th Street Apts are stalled (for a redesign). Market Street is supposed to open after the completion of Lennar's project...we'll see.

Last edited by Rhodium; Feb 20, 2019 at 1:06 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 4:07 PM

Demolition plans for 7th & Tryon (Main Library/Spirit Square Redevelopment)

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott...it-square.html
Quote:
Mark Hahn, director of asset and facility management at the county, presented four Spirit Square redevelopment proposals to commissioners at the board's meeting Tuesday night. The options have estimated costs between $22.7 million and $34.9 million and each have a range of demolition, construction and open space at Seventh and Tryon streets.

Spirit Square, a longtime arts center, is owned by the county.

County staff is recommending a plan that would keep both Duke Energy Theater (a black-box theater) and McGlohon Theater but demolish most of the rest of Spirit Square, including community meeting space and the Knight Gallery. In its place, a pedestrian connection between Tryon Street and a planned plaza would be created, and a connection would be established between the theaters and a proposed new Main Library.

In case you forgot about the master plan...

https://www.seventhandtryon.com/abou...nth-and-tryon/

The renderings of the library and winner of the project RFP should be released sometimes this year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations