HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 5:56 AM

Ok, got it. Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 7:03 AM

Nice find! It does look very boxy from that perspective.

Regarding the Hines Utah Theater Tower project...I sure hope the city requires them to make a through-block pedestrian access to West Temple. This would be tragedy to have this behemoth parking garage block a potential mid-block passage. The Regent Street mid-block connection is a great idea. Make the developers follow though with mid-block passageways.

Last edited by Orlando; Jan 18, 2021 at 7:50 AM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 7:19 AM

I thought the mid-block passageways were required in downtown districts now? Hopefully that will be addressed when it makes its way to the planning commission.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Nice find! It does look very boxy from that perspective.

Regarding the Hines Utah Theater Tower project...I sure hope the city requires them to make a through-block pedestrian access to West Temple. This would be tragedy to have this behemoth parking garage block a potential mid-block passage. The Regent Street mid-block connection is a great idea. Make the developers follow though with mid-block passageways.

One of the main problems is that Rocky Mountain Power owns the property directly West (behind) the parking garage/park where they have the 'West Temple Substation' building.

There is a pedestrian path (a crummy one but still) that leads right up to the back of the theater, but that is it.

If it was up to me though, I would rather have a staircase leading down from the park instead of having a ground level tunnel of some sort.

This would help increase accessibility to the park, making it more of a throughway rather than a dead end (which I fear it may become).

This is kinda how I imagined I would situate a staircase in order to prevent the loss of parking or access for RMP to their substation and back areas (to the south of the substation).

It's just an idea though. I wish it could be a grand staircase similar to the planned one from main street, but I doubt Rocky Mountain Power would allow the loss of their parking.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 3:07 PM
of SLC

Recent drone footage of downtown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3gYZqDPnmA

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 3:40 PM

There are a number of pluses to the 4th S. W.Temple tower. First, they've attractively camouflaged the parking structure, which is always a big plus in my book, and that they've put the garage entrances to the back instead of 4th S. is also a plus. Also, as has been pointed out the street engagement on W. Temple is very attractive. For me, I'm also liking these curtain walls that Salt Lake has been turning out lately with the upcoming towers. Let's hope that this tower along with the Hyatt Regency and 99 West is only the beginning for W. Temple. Height and density on W. Temple are long overdue.

That said, Salt Lake has arrived at a point where its downtown towers should be given literally an 'outside the box' design. Even conservatively speaking there is no reason Salt Lake City cannot advance now to towers in the 500' to 550' category, along with some of the kind of curvature that is both understated, yet definitely not a cereal box. I think the Marriott CCH and the Wilshire Grand here in Los Angeles are excellent examples of the type of towers that would fit well and enhance the Salt Lake City skyline. Of course, they're not going to be as tall as here in L.A. at this point, but the designs would still be very attractive. Make them mixed-use, particularly heavy on the luxury rental apartments side in order to justify the additional construction costs. Salt Lake City is still way underserved when it comes to luxury rental apartments. The development explosion of mid-rises if kept up seems to be making inroads into the much needed affordable housing at this point. Leave the overwhelming majority of the affordable mix to the mid-rises. At this point in Salt Lake's journey to notoriety, it wouldn't hurt to continue on with making West Temple an upscale corridor. This new tower on 4th, 99 West Tower, and the Hyatt Regency are already pretty much in that upscale vein.

Last edited by delts145; Jan 20, 2021 at 12:54 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Does anyone know what's going on on the southwest corner of 1st Avenue and A street? It's a large lot. Google Earth shows it all demoe'd and fenced off.
There was a large structure there which partially collapsed in May 2019, following a heavy rainstorm. The building has since been completely torn down and replaced with grass. I remember as recently as 2016 there being a small market on the first avenue side. Historically, the building was part of the Hillcrest and Covey apartment complex and contained a market, parking, and I believe some housing for the complex's staff.

https://ksltv.com/414853/vacant-buil...alt-lake-city/

https://kutv.com/news/local/crews-re...salt-lake-city

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 4:44 PM

What if someone were to get ArtSpace, Zion's Bank, The Convention Bureau, RDA, County, all property owners effected, government entities that provide tax incentives, etc, involved in funding a relocation and restoration of the Pantages/Utah Theater for use as an auditorium for conventions/seminars and the new home of the Utah Opera, cementing this block, and the streets around it, as the Cultural arts district of SLC per the SLC masterplan, giving the theater multiple uses to ensure it's long-term success, preserving an important part of Utah's architectural and cultural History. A good case study to look at is Minneapolis' Artspace and their funding to relocate the Shubert Theater, which in 1999 cost about 4 million to move:

Video Link

arguably the current piggyback auditorium steel structure inside the Pantages/Utah Theater would help brace the structure and hold it together during a move... And it wouldn't be moving as far as the Shubert. The Dinwoody building could find new use as the offices and rehearsal space for the Utah Opera.

Last edited by Old&New; Jan 19, 2021 at 2:05 AM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 5:08 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Does anyone know what the plan is for the SE corner of North Temple and 900W? I can find a lot of projects coming to North Temple but not this one. They’ve fenced off the old firestone sitting on the corner... they have equipment there and are clearly preparing to demolish it. I haven’t heard of anything with this corner.

The amount of redevelopment that is about to take place along North Temple is insane... I’m just waiting for something to be announced for the Gateway Inn property. That will be the the change that has the biggest impact on North Temple. I’m betting with all the other announcements that somebody will finally be prepared to give the sleazy owner of that property what he wants for it.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 9:03 PM

370s West Temple proposal

Hmmmmmm. At least the boxes are getting taller.....

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 12:33 AM

After a second look, Maybe the south elevation will be more interesting to look at. It appears it will be an L shaped layout on the main tower. The picture above make it look both fat and wide. More angles will be helpful to really judge this look. I’m starting to feel a little spoiled with all the tall proposals as of late

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 2:37 AM
One Thing At A Time

Does anyone have any insight on why the CCH would choose to go completely cement? Seems like steal construction would be so much faster. Is there an answer other than financial reasons?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post
Does anyone have any insight on why the CCH would choose to go completely cement? Seems like steal construction would be so much faster. Is there an answer other than financial reasons?
I believe reinforced concrete is more expensive than steel. Concrete is commonly used on most high rise buildings where people are sleeping above one another. The concrete provides better sound dampening between floors.

Other buildings that used concrete are 99 west, the regent, and liberty sky to name a few.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 4:39 AM

Convention hotel construction on schedule and already reaping benefits

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2021/1/...aping-benefits

Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY — The Wasatch Front’s much-anticipated convention center hotel isn’t even built yet, but it’s already paying dividends.

One year after breaking ground, the Hyatt Regency Salt Lake City is on pace for its scheduled completion in October 2022.
Quote:
She said since the groundbreaking in January 2020, Visit Salt Lake has secured over a dozen large conventions that would have otherwise not considered Salt Lake City.

“We do have things on the books as early as 2022, but the way our booking cadence rolls out, we actually have things on the books as late as 2028,” she said. In the past five weeks, the organization has secured Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers in November 2023 and the National Association of School Psychologists in February 2028.
Quote:
Despite the global pandemic and resulting economic downturn, Visit Salt Lake had its third-best booking year in 2020, thanks in large part to the imminent construction of the convention hotel...
This is good news for the everyone involved with the conventions in SLC, from hotels and restaurants/bars, to the convention services teams. Provided that future bookings stay on the previous schedules, the other hotels should see occupancy return to normal within the next 13 months and growth thereafter.

If 2021 comes close to the growth of 2020 for future conventions, it is possible another close hotel may be needed soon after 2025...Looking at you, Priskos family and Arrow Press Square...

Also, regarding Outdoor Retailer and the courting process:

Quote:
Eskelson believes the time could be right to attempt to reestablish that relationship if the opportunity presents itself.

With the completion of the new Salt Lake City International Airport and the new hotel coming online later next year, Salt Lake City is in a position to make a strong case for Outdoor Retailer returning to the Beehive State.
I do know that there are a lot of exhibitors and attendees that want to return to Salt Lake, so there is a good chance that something will happen in the future. Whether it is a full return of the shows or something else, only time will tell.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post
Steel creates problems with mech. and also creates a taller floor to floor height which is not needed for residential or hotel types of highrises. They typically use post-tensioned concrete which creates flat slabs with no beams, mostly.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 3:11 PM

This article says there will be steel levels above the concrete levels on CCH. Not sure if I'm interpreting it correctly or even if it's accurate information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
https://eturbonews.com/2552484/salt-...-2022-opening/

...The tower concrete construction is completed through level three and the podium steel erection begins later this month. Through the first quarter of 2021, the exterior façade installation will begin, escalators on meeting room levels will be hoisted into place and the vertical construction is slated to continue to progress with topping out of the project to come at the end of this year...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeshavocado View Post
This article says there will be steel levels above the concrete levels on CCH. Not sure if I'm interpreting it correctly or even if it's accurate information.
The tower itself will be Concrete. The steel will be for the meeting space and ball rooms due to the open space needed in the rooms. Concrete cannot doesn't work for the open spaces of ballrooms and meeting spaces.

There won't be any rooms above the ballrooms/meeting spaces. The outdoor space will be above these.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 5:19 PM

This was just in the news. I know we were discussing it not too long ago. Looks like those who will ultimately make the decision are leaning toward gondola service up the canyons.
Its development but kind of transportation related. I'll put it here since this is where we last discussed it.

It’s cheaper than a train, more expensive than a bus. Is it the solution to canyon gridlock? https://www.deseret.com/utah/2021/1/...-alta-snowbird

Last edited by delts145; Jan 24, 2021 at 12:12 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 7:45 PM

Deleted

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 8:47 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCLvr View Post
The land the mortuary and the Tavernacle building are on and the parking lot between the two are all owned by the same entity (Worthington TPIII, LLC) per the Assessor's map. All zoned D-1. Everything to the east is zoned something else and owned by others.
The true owner is Timberlane Partners (https://timberlanepartners.com/), who owns The Morton. If my sources are correct, the money behind the project is a company called Convexity out of Chicago.

I think design is well progressed, but I don't know what the street engagement will be like.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West