HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegster View Post
I've noticed some lights on in that building, was wondering if something might be getting started with it.

Shame that Starbucks just closed their location nearby on Broadway.
Yeah, the Starbucks closure is too bad, but maybe the hotel will have some kind of cafe in-house? Also the Fyxx at 310 Broadway is a pretty decent coffee shop nearby.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Yeah, the Starbucks closure is too bad, but maybe the hotel will have some kind of cafe in-house? Also the Fyxx at 310 Broadway is a pretty decent coffee shop nearby.
Gov statement says "full-service restaurant and spa"

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 8:16 PM

it is good that this is taking a big chunk of office space out of play. the hyatt by the outlet mall looks to be quite busy so brand loyalty may definitely direct a lot of traffic to this one as well.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 8:35 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Grump View Post
I'm in that neighbourhood so trust me, I know there's a lot of new builds, but you have to wonder at the wisdom of dropping $2 M on a property when there aren't even many $1 M properties near you.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...-heights-north

Street View:
https://www.realtor.ca/map#ZoomLevel...1&Currency=CAD
The exterior is pretty ugg.
These spec luxury homes leave a lot to be desired, on the exterior at least.

Looking at the old mansions, the lot sizes are huge. 1.2 acres in the city!
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...-heights-north

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 8:44 PM

Gorgeous home. I believe it belonged to a certain Jet who is no longer on the team.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 8:58 PM

^it's a nice shack, for sure. But no pool?? That's a deal breaker for me.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 9:07 PM

The province is throwing $5 million at a multinational corporation worth billions? On the day that CBC is running an article about 'more encampments than ever before', days after the Auditor General released the report about how Manitoba lacks capacity to treat the addiction crisis? Huh? Is this adding up for anyone?

No urgency at all to actually fix problems around here but the tax payers can afford to subsidize luxury hotel rooms.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xubiqtss View Post
The province is throwing $5 million at a multinational corporation worth billions? On the day that CBC is running an article about 'more encampments than ever before', days after the Auditor General released the report about how Manitoba lacks capacity to treat the addiction crisis? Huh? Is this adding up for anyone?

No urgency at all to actually fix problems around here but the tax payers can afford to subsidize luxury hotel rooms.
If this refers to the RCT solar panel factory, I'd look at the bigger picture. IF this proposal is only half as good as they claim it could be, it could still be a good financial boost for the province AND supply solar panels to help offset the effects of global climate change. Financial boost = more tax dollars for social programs. Social programs are the cart, and the cart needs a horse, i.e. a solid tax base. At least this industry wouldn't be adding to the world's problems. Better than an Amazon shipping centre. At least, that's the way i look at it.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
If this refers to the RCT solar panel factory, I'd look at the bigger picture. IF this proposal is only half as good as they claim it could be, it could still be a good financial boost for the province AND supply solar panels to help offset the effects of global climate change. Financial boost = more tax dollars for social programs. Social programs are the cart, and the cart needs a horse, i.e. a solid tax base. At least this industry wouldn't be adding to the world's problems. Better than an Amazon shipping centre. At least, that's the way i look at it.
No, sorry, this is about the new Hyatt hotel and spa on Broadway.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 11:28 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Gorgeous home. I believe it belonged to a certain Jet who is no longer on the team.
indeed, beautiful mansion.
Judging by the one rug he was American, and the fire pit #26.
just guessing

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 11:33 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
^it's a nice shack, for sure. But no pool?? That's a deal breaker for me.
on that size lot you'd could build the most ridiculous pool like one from an American reality show.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 11:43 PM

Quote:

There isn't a place in Canada that doesn't have an issue with addictions. We hear about ours so much as we live here. But Vancouver is way way worse. And tbh, not one provincial government has a plan. Neither do the feds.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 11:50 PM

Quote:
No, sorry, this is about the new Hyatt hotel and spa on Broadway.
Didn't know that. I didn't hear about this one.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 11:55 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
There isn't a place in Canada that doesn't have an issue with addictions. We hear about ours so much as we live here. But Vancouver is way way worse. And tbh, not one provincial government has a plan. Neither do the feds.
Fentanyl has hit the entire nation and landmass of North America, hard. Every place in Canada has it, including our remote Northern communities. I've talked with a guy in Niagara trying to quit and he said you get hooked from one dose, the high is that intense.

on YouTube there's videos of people from SF and other areas doing what's called the "fentanyl stoop" where you're high as a kite, but are stuck in a hunched over position and somehow don't fall over. just awful.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 2:12 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
a Hyatt Centric-branded hotel will soon come to downtown Winnipeg as its first Western Canada franchise. The $38.6-million project, being developed by the Kothari Group, will convert a vacant six-storey building at 325 Broadway into a 140-room Hyatt Centric hotel that will feature a full-service restaurant and spa.

The Manitoba government will provide $5.2 million in support for the project over 20 years

Hyatt Centric is a full-service lifestyle brand hotel designed for business and leisure travellers and that will use local elements in its interior design. The sole Hyatt Centric hotel in Canada is in Montreal,

https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.ht...ted=2023-07-27
Quote:
Interesting... the old Revenue Canada Building. At first, I wondered if it might be the Wawanesa building. Also a good candidate for a hotel or residential conversion.

The funding announcements just keep on coming from the province! Is this 5.2 million in TIF funding from a different program than the one offered by the city, I wonder?
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Weird that the province is throwing money at a hotel in downtown Winnipeg.

But that said, it's a great location for a hotel. It shows off a nicer side of downtown Winnipeg than what people would see staying on Portage Avenue, and it will probably give Broadway a bit of a shot in the arm with guests looking for restaurants, etc. Hyatt is pretty underrepresented in Manitoba so it might entice some people who are brand loyal.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing it come together. It's about the best possible re-use of the former CRA building.
Judging by the Montreal one it looks like the Hyatt Centric brand is going for more of a "boutique hotel" look than the typical cookie cutter one.
Nice that Winnipeg is not only getting a new downtown hotel, but a hotel brand before Vancouver, Calgary, or Edmonton.

Do you guys think they are giving out TIF err MWCI (Manitoba Works Capital Incentive program) rebates because it's re-purposing an existing vacant structure? (higher unforeseen costs etc. that come along with rejuvenating decades old structures).
edit: a quick search shows this building was built in 1993 yet looks like 1973! (they won't have to do asbestos abatement at least heh)

While it seems like a lot of money, creating 70 jobs plus having 140 rooms full/or nearly full of tourists spending money year round in Winnipeg will be good for this section of downtown. And being a new brand it also might spur other hotels to open in the area, or at least maybe some new restaurants.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 4:06 AM

^The province is giving $5.2 million over 20 years, and the city is giving $1.4 million over 10 years for the hotel. That’s a pretty good amount for a $38.6 million project. Is it good value for the money? Not sure, but it should help liven up Broadway a bit. Who knows, maybe it will help get other stalled downtown hotel projects moving again??

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 4:44 AM

Hyatt is a great brand. Excellent news for Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
there isn't a place in canada that doesn't have an issue with addictions. We hear about ours so much as we live here. But vancouver is way way worse. And tbh, not one provincial government has a plan. Neither do the feds.
100%

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Judging by the Montreal one it looks like the Hyatt Centric brand is going for more of a "boutique hotel" look than the typical cookie cutter one.
Nice that Winnipeg is not only getting a new downtown hotel, but a hotel brand before Vancouver, Calgary, or Edmonton.
I'm assuming that it's a "boutique hotel" because Hyatt wants some sort of brand presence in downtown Winnipeg but doesn't see a business case for building the usual full-scale 30-storey Hyatt with banquet halls, etc.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 2:07 PM

Regarding the addiction/homelessness issue, and it's impact on the economic and social fabric here...I have absolutely NO stats to back this up, so this is only a theory. My guess is that proportionately (per capita) we have a bigger problem here than in Vancouver or Toronto...or Edmonton or Calgary. Thus the extraordinary increase in crime here vs the national average. If anyone has stats to support or disprove, please provide.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan