HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 5:49 PM

Granite is much more resistant and sustainable as an exterior material, though. Especially to high-rise buildings.
And it has pretty much the same visual properties (available in various colors, good looking stone).
The fact that it would be cheaper only makes it smarter. Why spending more money for something that would get damaged and crumbly sooner?

The Grande Arche de la Défense used to be cladded in white marble.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arche_de_la_D%C3%A9fense

That's actually an office building.
When aging marble panels started to fall down, they simply replaced them by white granite a couple of years ago, and now it looks just the same. All white.
You have to get really close to the façade to notice any slight difference.

Marble panels lasted for only 30 years to that building that's supposed to be a landmark of the district. So it was a bit embarrassing that they would be so fragile.

However, marble remains a very nice interior material. When it's not overly exposed to outdoor elements, it is elegant and fairly smart.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
Project: 811 Louisiana
They've made some changes to what I still find myself thinking of as "Two Shell Plaza."

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
It seems marble is next to extinct as a material for skyscrapers. I'm not aware of any skyscraper in North America that's been built with it recently. I can't even think of any in Asia, where they dump serious money on flashy skyscrapers.
The only recent example I can think of in Vancouver:

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
From Lawrence Black twitter Aug 15th:

https://twitter.com/LawrenceBlackTV
There's a couple other towers using polished green marble and pink travertine cladding, in Coal Harbour:

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 4:45 AM

Marble is a relatively soft and porous stone which - through time and weather and acidity in the weather - can warp and will definitely erode. I can see how it

might last longer and be more stable where the weather is milder. I'm wondering if there is a level of freezing and at what latitude it might be more

likely to last, but i really think it is generally foolish to use it on any exterior.

Even indoors, I've seen stairs which were marble and looked so worn down that I definitely held on to the railing.

Using it on the facade of building has always reminded me of 19th Century gravestones which can no longer be read.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture