HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Jeddah Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Jeddah Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 10:46 PM

Probably at least 5 years.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 12:46 AM

i give or take 7-8 yrs to build this megastructure

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 1:27 AM

(insider information)

as written in the contract:
the kingdom tower will take 70 months
the kingdom city will take 120 months

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 5:41 AM

so roughly just under 6 yrs, thanks GulfArabia, any more pics on the site or nothing happening yet?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 12:48 PM

Location: enjoying life in Tønsberg the coolest little town in Norway
this new dual top design is very cool reminds me abit of the never built pinnacle in Dubai.

will indeed be very intresting to see the final renderings

My flickr photo stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infernal_elf/

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 7:32 PM

I'm issuing another warning here. . . you forum newbies who try to derail threads will be dealt with swiftly. . . if you can't stay on topic or post without inflammatory remarks or insinuations you will be suspended. . . no further warnings will be given from this point on. . .

This thread is about the tower being built in Jeddah. . . if you would like to discuss labor relations please do so on another forum. . .

. . .

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 6:09 AM

Besix: we expect Binladin to win Kingdom Tower

The Belgian contractor in the running for the world’s tallest tower contract has said it expects its Saudi-based competitor to win the deal.

Dubai-based firm Besix in partnership with El Seif Engineering & Contracting, is up against the Saudi Binladin Group for the 1-km high ‘Kingdom Tower’ in Jeddah, and is hoping to hear back from the decision-makers soon.

The contractors, which are both renowned for their flagship projects, were actually meant to find out which firm had been awarded the contract in September, but as yet as still waiting.

Speaking about the firm’s geographical expansion plans, Philippe Dessoy, general manager of subsidiary firm Six Construct, told Construction Week: “For more than a year we have been looking at Saudi Arabia.

"We put a tender together for the Kingdom Tower, and we’re on the shortlist with Binladin, but I expect the job to go to Binladin.”

That said, the GM of the Burj Khalifa builder, and firm responsible for Abu Dhabi’s recently-completed Sheikh Zayed Bridge, did add that he hoped to win a contract in Saudi by the middle of next year.

“We hope to win a project in Saudi as soon as possible, but we don’t expect anything for another few months. We hope to have a project before summer next year.”

With more than 200 floors, Kingdom Tower will stand higher than the Burj Khalifa, which is currently the world's tallest man-made structure at 828m.

Last year, developer Emaar, also responsible for the Burj Khalifa, was selected by Kingdom Holdings Company (KHC) to supervise construction of the tower and surrounding city development, estimated to cost a massive US$40 billion to build.

In September 2010, the two contractors competing for the project had to revise their prices due to changes to the design.

Source

Design in May 2010

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 4:22 PM

I really hope they change the design. The needle does nothing for me.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 7:15 PM

insider source says the project will be launched any day now

Quote:
مصادرنا الخاصة تؤكد ان المشروع سينطلق والمؤتمر الصحفي سيوضح ذلك قريبا

مبروك ياهل جدة
كل عام وانتم بخير
http://www.tmleek.com

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 3:54 AM

wooho, right on!! good to hear, great news, this will go down in history!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 4:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Where is the math that shows this tower could sustain itself, financially? I am just curious.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Where is the math that shows this tower could sustain itself, financially? I am just curious.
Where's the math that shows ANY of the worlds-tallest-building contenders could sustain itself, financially? I'm just curious.

. . .

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 4:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^the answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 5:07 PM

Indeed it is

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 12:29 AM

I'm glad it looks like they changed the design.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 3:46 AM

i will be suprised at how the foundation for such a never before attempt on a structure like this would turn out, for example, the pilings, basement depth, what the water table is like there, what type of cement they use, the footings if any, the amount of reinforcement they use, what diameter rebar will be used, how big the core/elevator shaft, all those factors and many more

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 7:17 PM

yes kiwi4life indeed it will be. And if they really want to totally outdo
Burj Khalifah they might have to to come up with alot of tottaly new solutions and approaches design vise.

and when it comes to water pumps and other liquids needed to be transported up through the building they might have to make certain stories with big tanks and valves to reset the height.

because not all pumps can handle all the height and bends in the tubes when it gets so high as this and theoretically u need 1 bar for each ten meter you want to pump water straight up and that is with no bends at all so if they go for some apartments at the height of 1000 meters they will need pumps capable of at least 150 bar probably much more because of bends and resistance in the pipes. or they can go for the other solution but that will be very space demanding .

and the pressure on the ground will be tremendous. actually after the Tapei 101 was completed the area closest to that building started suffering from more quakes most likely related to the building. luckily they dont have that problem in most of the Arabic half isle.

My flickr photo stream

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal_Elf View Post
yes kiwi4life indeed it will be. And if they really want to totally outdo
Burj Khalifah they might have to to come up with alot of tottaly new solutions and approaches design vise.

and when it comes to water pumps and other liquids needed to be transported up through the building they might have to make certain stories with big tanks and valves to reset the height.

because not all pumps can handle all the height and bends in the tubes when it gets so high as this and theoretically u need 1 bar for each ten meter you want to pump water straight up and that is with no bends at all so if they go for some apartments at the height of 1000 meters they will need pumps capable of at least 150 bar probably much more because of bends and resistance in the pipes. or they can go for the other solution but that will be very space demanding .

and the pressure on the ground will be tremendous. actually after the Tapei 101 was completed the area closest to that building started suffering from more quakes most likely related to the building. luckily they dont have that problem in most of the Arabic half isle.
yup you know exactly what im trying to get at and talk about, im glad, there will be so much to consider, i can imagine there will be some new technology invented for structural engineering im this project, a lot of things will have to be looked at

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 6:14 PM

Anybody hear any more news on the contractors, developers, Architects, or construction date, or even anymore pictures of the site GulfArabia?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 3:41 PM

yeah some news again would be amazing

must have been something more to report by now hopefully

really want to see this start up and see some Stunning final renderings

My flickr photo stream

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction