HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAisthePlace View Post
Haven't seen it called anywhere, but I think Mitsui Fudosan has topped out! If so, pretty solid height in the end! Really happy with how its turning out and can't wait to see how that block feels once both the Brookfield and this tower are completed and filled with thousand+ new residents.
Yeah I noticed that this morning when doing my walk that it looked as if it’s topped out.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Yeah I noticed that this morning when doing my walk that it looked as if it’s topped out.
It looks like the window cleaning crane is already installed which is as good a sign as any that it is at its peak!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 10:22 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Thanks for the photo updates, LAisthePlace!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 6:48 PM

I went downtown this weekend. First time in a looooooong time. Noticed a few things.

Onnis tower is going to be so freaking imposing in its location on Olympic. I'll be surprised if we don't hear any new proposals in the immediate area soon, especially since Addidas is a block over.

The Fig Pico tower, the smaller lot seems to be fenced off, has it been that way always or are they planning on breaking ground soon?

It was really really busy down there. IT took us forever to find a parking spot without shelling out 40 bucks.

Also, heading to the new bridge, we drove down 9th and one thing i noticed was a lack of tent cities/encampments in the immediate area. It took us a few blocks before we saw 2 tents. A lot of hipsters rolling around on scooters though.
was there a planned street cleaning this weekend for skid row or something because i can honestly say we only saw 3 homeless people walking around. Granted we were down on 9th. I just expected more tents since when i went down there peak covid, tents were lining the streets and actually in the streets.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 9:34 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

The Beaudry has a strong presence on the skyline even from the west now. From LA Reddit:

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
I went downtown this weekend. First time in a looooooong time. Noticed a few things.

Onnis tower is going to be so freaking imposing in its location on Olympic. I'll be surprised if we don't hear any new proposals in the immediate area soon, especially since Addidas is a block over.

The Fig Pico tower, the smaller lot seems to be fenced off, has it been that way always or are they planning on breaking ground soon?

It was really really busy down there. IT took us forever to find a parking spot without shelling out 40 bucks.

Also, heading to the new bridge, we drove down 9th and one thing i noticed was a lack of tent cities/encampments in the immediate area. It took us a few blocks before we saw 2 tents. A lot of hipsters rolling around on scooters though.
was there a planned street cleaning this weekend for skid row or something because i can honestly say we only saw 3 homeless people walking around. Granted we were down on 9th. I just expected more tents since when i went down there peak covid, tents were lining the streets and actually in the streets.
I work downtown and Overall I have noticed a decrease in encampments in the area as a whole. Several of the underpasses have been cleaned up! There’s still a good few more that are left. But, the large one near LA grand hotel was cleaned recently as well as the underpass heading towards Washington on Figueroa. Skid row has been getting somewhat cleaned as well, but has a looooooong way still. I think as we see more supportive housing come online, we will see more and more encampments getting cleared. Now if only we can get large shelters built……. I was downtown this past Saturday and it was sooo packed. Felt like 2019 for a moment ☺️!!! LA live has really been packed lately!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 11:46 PM

Quote:

Hey glad you got a chance to see the energy in person. Rather some ridiculous vid. Lol
We have so much to hear in LA. From DTLA/Arts District, to Hollywood/WeHo, Santa Monica, etc. Especially when you know more of what vibes that suit you best. It’s an anyplace that you can enjoy virtually 365 days a year. Every city has issues, but very few of any offer what LA offers on a daily basis.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 12:24 AM

Quote:

Remember, 9th is outside of skid row proper, which is 4th to 7th, central to Los Angeles streets. I've noticed that 7th street has been cleaned up pretty well, and some other parts too, but then we have new problem areas as well. As a long time downtown resident, I'd say it's better now than 2 years ago but worse than 5 years ago.

Regarding the Onni tower, I agree. It's gonna be huge three and I can't wait. There are about a dozen nearby proposals working their way through the city and hopefully at least a couple break ground in the next year

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
The Beaudry has a strong presence on the skyline even from the west now. From LA Reddit:

Anybody know the name of the project, what appears to be a crane somewhere between 5th and 6th St in the pic?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
Anybody know the name of the project, what appears to be a crane somewhere between 5th and 6th St in the pic?
I believe what you are referring to is the AVA Arts District project.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 10:55 PM

This is from a few wks ago, but no way could the Lucas museum have been completed & open to the public by this yr....

Video Link

^ I notice the lawn to the west of city hall in Grand Pk has been allowed to turn largely yellow & it looks like the city or county dept that manages expo pk is doing the same thing to the lawn east of the rising museum, south of the history museum.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
This is from a few wks ago, but no way could the Lucas museum have been completed & open to the public by this yr....

Video Link

^ I notice the lawn to the west of city hall in Grand Pk has been allowed to turn largely yellow & it looks like the city or county dept that manages expo pk is doing the same thing to the lawn east of the rising museum, south of the history museum.
which is stupid because although lawns are waterwasting, the place where they should be allowed are public parks and spaces where everyone can enjoy them. If we’re going to keep doing this for every drought every year during the summer when people want to use these, just get rid of the lawns then. Plant a drought tolerant forest and be done with it.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 11:26 PM

^I'd imagine those lawns are watered with reclaimed water too.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm1995 View Post
I believe what you are referring to is the AVA Arts District project.
The crane looks further away. It’s in the foreground of the Paul Hastings Tower.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 5:25 PM

^^^ Ah i see what you're saying. It looks like it might be somewhere in the historic core.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 5:57 PM

The posts above about reclaimed water makes me think of how there are certain fountains & lawns in LA where small signs say something like 'Pool uses recycled water' or 'this garden uses reclaimed water.' I'm guessing that various govt owned fountains & govt owned landscaping are being kept dry or brown similar to how during covid a lot of ppl were required to wear face masks not just so much for health reasons, but as a sign of solidarity.

This is just a puff piece, & I also don't know how accurate or exaggerated is the claim about pre WWII architecture in dtla....

Quote:

luxurytraveladvisory.com

luxurytraveladvisory.com

Guests at the new Frank Gehry-designed Conrad Los Angeles, will get a “wow” view of Gehry’s original architectural icon, the Walt Disney Concert Hall, as they step out of the elevator of the hotel’s 10th-floor lobby. When the concert hall opened in 2003, Gehry changed the face of downtown Los Angeles. Almost 20 years later, this $1 billion project on Bunker Hill with its rectangular, twisted, cube-like-blocks enhances the appeal of Downtown L.A., a massive, mixed-use neighborhood that has the largest concentration of pre-World War II architecture in the United States.

Which rooms to pick? The most popular requests are for the “Balcony One Bedroom Suite” because the Conrad Los Angeles has walk-out balconies; these suites overlook City Hall, the Los Angeles cityscape, Dodger Stadium and Walt Disney Concert Hall.

We hear that families prefer the Presidential Suite City View, which connects with a double-bedded room (many rooms connect). Premium View rooms offer the best views overlooking the Walt Disney Concert Hall; while City rooms view City Hall.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:14 PM

Quote:

(Jack Witthaus/CoStar)

A historic cafeteria-turned-nightclub in downtown Los Angeles
has been sold in an off-market deal, a sign of renewed investor confidence in a stretch of Broadway that has long struggled, particularly since the start of the pandemic.

Los Angeles real estate investment firm Robhana Group bought the roughly 46,000-square-foot Clifton's building at 648-654 S. Broadway for $8.6 million, or about $186 per square foot, according to CoStar data. The seller was Andrew Meieran, who has run the colorful Clifton's club inside the building since buying the property in 2011 for about $3.6 million, according to CoStar data. Meieran said Clifton's signed a long-term lease with the new owner and that the club would remain open. The decision to sell was directly related to the pandemic, Meieran said, as he struggled to land attractive financing to continue owning the building. Meanwhile, uneven revenue and trouble finding labor have challenged Clifton's since it reopened in February.

Owning the building "was a bigger strain on the longevity of the business than securing something much more predictable," Meieran said.

"People are concerned with downtown, but this instills some confidence, particularly along Broadway," said Gabe Kadosh, vice president at Colliers in Los Angeles, who was not involved in the deal.

Downtown Los Angeles, like many major U.S. city centers, has struggled to woo workers back since the start of the pandemic, which has had a negative effect on its retail market. Now, instead of trendy restaurants, chain eateries are looking for space in another sign that workers and nightlife purveyors aren't returning to the urban core at pre-pandemic levels.

Meieran said the Seventh Street corridor leading to Clifton's on Broadway was always tough to lease but was doing OK prior to the pandemic.

"The pandemic set it back a good five to 10 years," Meieran said. "But in the past three to six months it's shown some life and vibrancy."

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 8:06 PM

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 6:19 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

The Lucas Museum, an expanding skyline, and the Olympics are great. But having just gotten back from easy-going, convenient, and livable Canada (Banff, Calgary, and Vancouver), I realized that what I want for LA at this point are just basic things. I don't want to see sidewalks lined with shantytowns, trash strewn everywhere, filthy trains, decrepit infrastructure, etc.

I also don't understand why it's so hard to get decent-looking new mid-rise residential developments; you can still produce attractive, inoffensive designs with stucco. Tokyo and much of Buenos Aires have crap architecture, yet it's the way those cities' built environments come together that make them delightful.

And, sorry colemonkee, but I think burying power lines is relevant and a component of urban design that factors into not only aesthetics but also creating pedestrian-friendly environments. These "complete streets" projects by the city of LA need to begin with power line burial and sidewalk widening.

— Jerome Bruner

Last edited by Quixote; Oct 1, 2022 at 6:29 PM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2022, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
The Lucas Museum, an expanding skyline, and the Olympics are great. But having just gotten back from easy-going, convenient, and livable Canada (Banff, Calgary, and Vancouver), I realized that what I want for LA at this point are just basic things. I don't want to see sidewalks lined with shantytowns, trash strewn everywhere, filthy trains, decrepit infrastructure, etc.

I also don't understand why it's so hard to get decent-looking new mid-rise residential developments; you can still produce attractive, inoffensive designs with stucco. Tokyo and much of Buenos Aires have crap architecture, yet it's the way those cities' built environments come together that make them delightful.

And, sorry colemonkee, but I think burying power lines is relevant and a component of urban design that factors into not only aesthetics but also creating pedestrian-friendly environments. These "complete streets" projects by the city of LA need to begin with power line burial and sidewalk widening.
Exactly right. It's the basics where la fails miserably. The easy stuff

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations