HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Russ Wyatt knocked out the incumbant. Yes Russ was in the seat before but the most recent seat.
Thanks for the correction, but does illustrate how difficult it is to get new faces onto council unless there is a vacant seat. In general the incumbent always wins, and Russ is not a new face.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 5:55 PM

Gillingham's win in a historical context should come as no surprise as Conservatives have been elected mayor of Winnipeg for 37 of the past 43 years. Murray from 98 to 04 was the only liberal mayor we had and we have never had a ndp mayor.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Gillingham's win in a historical context should come as no surprise as Conservatives have been elected mayor of Winnipeg for 37 of the past 43 years. Murray from 98 to 04 was the only liberal mayor we had and we have never had a ndp mayor.
It makes perfect sense that we would keep electing conservatives seeing how amazing everything is in this city, and how well run everything is!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Murray was the only successful mayoral candidate backed by the big labour groups since... John Queen whose time as mayor ended in 1942. The only other labour-backed candidate was S.J. Farmer, elected in 1923.

Murray's '98 win came when the liberals and social democrat groups managed to coalesce under the "Winnipeg Into the Nineties (WIN)" party. The labour left didn't run a candidate that year, so Murray was the default I guess.

Not sure if Murray had labour's support in 2002 (after he let 3,000 CUPE employees go in his first term, probably not?) but in any case he had the power of incumbency in that race.

Not sure if every other mayor has been a Conservative/PC partisan, but Winnipeg has from it's very beginning generally loved a temperamentally conservative mayor.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 6:27 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
Click on their name on a post of theirs, on the page that comes up, the second menu below their name is 'User Lists', click the arrow beside it, then click 'Add to Ignore List'.
thank you.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 6:29 PM
surely you agree with me

I'm totally heartbroken by this election. I know everyone says this, but I do really wish I could leave......we have taken such huge steps backwards in the last few years that this was the time to start real change.....we've signed on for at lest 8 years of the same solutions.....i have realized that always hoping for change is not a fruitful path....at some point you just have to find a place that aligns with what you want out of life.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I'm totally heartbroken by this election. I know everyone says this, but I do really wish I could leave......we have taken such huge steps backwards in the last few years that this was the time to start real change.....we've signed on gor at lest 8 years of the same solutions..... i have realized that always hoping for change is not a fruitful path....at some point you just have to find a place that aligns with what you want out of life.
a Mayor doesnt make all the decisions you know! Get a council who has same beliefs (I beleive Allard & Mayes immediately come to mind) and things will work out. Is life not all about balance? it can't be all about bike paths and strong downtown, we need infrastructure to support our economy. We need big trucks to move freight.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 6:36 PM

Quote:
I'm totally heartbroken by this election. I know everyone says this, but I do really wish I could leave......we have taken such huge steps backwards in the last few years that this was the time to start real change.....we've signed on for at lest 8 years of the same solutions.....i have realized that always hoping for change is not a fruitful path....at some point you just have to find a place that aligns with what you want out of life.
You can't force winnipeg to be something its citizens don't want it to be. If it wants wide roads And a suburban life that's what it wants to be. Just look at the historical voting record this is not a progressive northern Minneapolis this is more of a Omaha Nebraska

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 6:39 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
a Mayor doesnt make all the decisions you know! Get a council who has same beliefs (I beleive Allard & Mayes immediately come to mind) and things will work out. Is life not all about balance? it can't be all about bike paths and strong downtown, we need infrastructure to support our economy. We need big trucks to move freight.
i don't want to live in a city where the priority is to cut five minutes off a trucker's trip to Texas....its amazing to me that the trucking industry has brainwashed winnipeggers into believing they are so vital to our economy....or is it just a way for winnipeggers to justify spending billions on roads that doesn't make them sound ridiculous.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Might be time for a certain someone who's views are generally well received by the public at large through his well written columns, the latest of which was spectacular, to consider being that change? Already have the name recognition and core policy tenants........

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 6:40 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
You can't force winnipeg to be something its citizens don't want it to be. If it wants wide roads And a suburban life that's what it wants to be. Just look at the historical voting record this is not a progressive northern Minneapolis this is more of a Omaha Nebraska
that is clear....and was my point...winnipeg is destined to be no better than it is today....which is worse than it was a few years ago....it breaks my heart to know that.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 6:40 PM

i think people are forgetting some of these things below, which is not all about making more freeways the only thing our new Mayor planned.

Gillingham has promised to expand pilot projects that send outreach workers instead of police to low-risk mental health calls.

Gillingham also wants the city to cut its vehicle costs by exploring alternative arrangements, like co-ops or vehicle sharing with school boards.

Gillingham has also promised to reduce red tape around restaurant patio approvals by making them automatic after restaurateurs fill out an online form.

Gillingham says he would also create a new capital projects adviser to rein in cost overruns and make sure city contracts are tendered more fairly.

Gillingham wants to transform Graham Avenue in downtown Winnipeg following public consultations, as part of a package of proposals he hopes will get more people living in the area.

Gillingham says he would have city staff work with other levels of government, Indigenous leaders and The Forks North Portage Partnership to come up with a financial plan to redevelop Portage Place.

Gillingham says he'd transform six city-owned vacant lots into modular housing units to help people experiencing homelessness.

Gillingham has pledged to set a target date for the full electrification of Winnipeg's light vehicle fleet by the end of 2023.

Gillingham has also promised to convert the municipal accommodations department, which manages Winnipeg's property portfolio, to a "green properties and green power agency" with a focus on retrofitting city properties.

all of the above were compiled on CBC.ca site

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 6:42 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEndWander View Post
Might be time for a certain someone who's views are generally well received by the public at large through his well written columns, the latest of which was spectacular, to consider being that change? Already have the name recognition and core policy tenants........
ha ha...even that would be a minimum of eight years away....sitting mayors don't lose....maybe I'll go into federal politics...then I can live in Ottawa and come back for my beer league hockey games on the public dime.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 6:43 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
i think people are forgetting some of these things below, which is not all about making more freeways the only thing our new Mayor planned.

Gillingham has promised to expand pilot projects that send outreach workers instead of police to low-risk mental health calls.

Gillingham also wants the city to cut its vehicle costs by exploring alternative arrangements, like co-ops or vehicle sharing with school boards.

Gillingham has also promised to reduce red tape around restaurant patio approvals by making them automatic after restaurateurs fill out an online form.

Gillingham says he would also create a new capital projects adviser to rein in cost overruns and make sure city contracts are tendered more fairly.

Gillingham wants to transform Graham Avenue in downtown Winnipeg following public consultations, as part of a package of proposals he hopes will get more people living in the area.

Gillingham says he would have city staff work with other levels of government, Indigenous leaders and The Forks North Portage Partnership to come up with a financial plan to redevelop Portage Place.

Gillingham says he'd transform six city-owned vacant lots into modular housing units to help people experiencing homelessness.

Gillingham has pledged to set a target date for the full electrification of Winnipeg's light vehicle fleet by the end of 2023.

Gillingham has also promised to convert the municipal accommodations department, which manages Winnipeg's property portfolio, to a "green properties and green power agency" with a focus on retrofitting city properties.

all of the above were compiled on CBC.ca site
LOL....visionary list....you have made my point.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 6:51 PM

Personally, I'd love the urbanists on this forum like trueviking to specifically outline what Murray would have done to progress this city over-and-above what Gillingham will do, given Murray's committment to a tax freeze and instead opt for other marginal, hypothetical revenues.

So many people are acting like the sky is falling because the guy who won said he'd widen Keneston and Extend CPT. What would Glen have done instead - given the financial reality of our City - that would have been so transformative and amazing? More TIFs for the waterfront and exchange district? I can guarantee those not-really-transformative TIF programs will continue with Gillingham. Would Murray have suddenly found money to plow 3 extra lines of BRT through our City within the next 8 years? Doubtful. Would Murray somehow find the billions needed to fix mental healthcare and addictions, solving all of our city's social issues? I don't think so. Would Murray somehow approve 10,000 affordable dwelling units that would take all our marginalized and homeless people off the streets? Not likely.

At the end of the day, the Mayor is one vote on council with some additional influence on the EPC. And from there, the jurisdiction of municipal governments stops well before it reaches social housing, mental, and physical health. Murray or Gillingham, one man is not going to solve all the issues in Winnipeg. Rather, their ability to get other people along side their vision and goal at both a municipal and provincial level is going to be what matters most.

Murray's platform sounded nice to people who like bike lanes and patios, but don't understand the reality of our city's financial state and give too much credit to magical funding mechanisms like TIF, land value uplift, and "growing the economy" by pulling a non-existent lever in the Mayor's office at City hall.

Making everything about Keneston and CPT, and ignoring the other positions of Gillingham on various issues, and the fact that he is just one vote on council is painting a far darker and more "suburban" picture than what will actually happen.

Murray would have faced the same limitations as anyone else, and his platform indicated he didn't have any feasible solutions to those limitations, casting doubt on his ability to get anything done quite frankly.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
Personally, I'd love the urbanists on this forum like trueviking to specifically outline what Murray would have done to progress this city over-and-above what Gillingham will do, given Murray's committment to a tax freeze and instead opt for other marginal, hypothetical revenues.

So many people are acting like the sky is falling because the guy who won said he'd widen Keneston and Extend CPT. What would Glen have done instead - given the financial reality of our City - that would have been so transformative and amazing? More TIFs for the waterfront and exchange district? I can guarantee those not-really-transformative TIF programs will continue with Gillingham. Would Murray have suddenly found money to plow 3 extra lines of BRT through our City within the next 8 years? Doubtful. Would Murray somehow find the billions needed to fix mental healthcare and addictions, solving all of our city's social issues? I don't think so. Would Murray somehow approve 10,000 affordable dwelling units that would take all our marginalized and homeless people off the streets? Not likely.

At the end of the day, the Mayor is one vote on council with some additional influence on the EPC. And from there, the jurisdiction of municipal governments stops well before it reaches social housing, mental, and physical health. Murray or Gillingham, one man is not going to solve all the issues in Winnipeg. Rather, their ability to get other people along side their vision and goal at both a municipal and provincial level is going to be what matters most.

Murray's platform sounded nice to people who like bike lanes and patios, but don't understand the reality of our city's financial state and give too much credit to magical funding mechanisms like TIF, land value uplift, and "growing the economy" by pulling a non-existent lever in the Mayor's office at City hall.

Making everything about Keneston and CPT, and ignoring the other positions of Gillingham on various issues, and the fact that he is just one vote on council is painting a far darker and more "suburban" picture than what will actually happen.

Murray would have faced the same limitations as anyone else, and his platform indicated he didn't have any feasible solutions to those limitations, casting doubt on his ability to get anything done quite frankly.
Exactly

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 6:57 PM

Quote:
You want downtown vision, what is Vivian SANTOS vision, she is the City Councilor for the area? I never heard anything out of her this whole election. What is she doing to make the area better?
Downtown is split amongst three counsellors. Who also cover much outside of downtown. Santos' Point Douglas ward extends all the way to the Tyndall Park area. Downtown should have a single counsellor only covering the area imo.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 6:58 PM

Quote:
ha ha...even that would be a minimum of eight years away....sitting mayors don't lose....maybe I'll go into federal politics...then I can live in Ottawa and come back for my beer league hockey games on the public dime.
No, unfortunately they usually don't.

I think there may be a chance in this instance however as Gillingham appears to be noting more than an extension of Bowman. The potential is there for a lot of voter fatigue after 12 years of overall civic inaction.

We seem to operate on 10 year periods of general apathy in this City/Province in terms of our politics. Hopefully that will be the case in this instance. We may even break 40% participation next time.

Either way, hopefully you can stay the course Vike. Every crappy city needs it's champions and you're one of our best.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Life is short. I started following this forum and Winnipeg planning issues about 10 years ago. In my opinion I had realistic hopes of what the city could look like 10 years later. It’s kind of depressing that we’re basically where we were and likely won’t change much for another 8 years. Ten years ago the gap between cities felt a little closer, but I think everyone has pulled ahead significantly. If we keep bleeding our educated progressive people it’ll be no surprise that we won’t be able to elect anyone other than conservative suburbanites.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 7:16 PM

Nothing is going to happen. Scooters wants to set-up shipping containers on empty lots?? WTF is that.

Every Mayor has hopes and dreams for the voter. And then reality hits, which Scooter should know being on council for 8 years and finance chair. I wish him all the best on these social issues because that's where change is really needed. But nothing in the blows me away.

As for Murray, ditto. His campaign was bad and that's why he lost.

Some of the stuff on Scooters list is just blah lip service that really serves no purpose.

How are City contracts not awarded fairly. They're open bid to anyone qualified.
Graham Ave re-development is a default outcome of the transit plan. Nothing visionary there. It all feels like that.

The candidates with the best campaign promises are the less popular ones and that's a shame. People just recognize the name and vote for it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan