HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 4:37 AM

There are a couple of other problems. The overpass over the CP Mainline on the west side of the bypass has no shoulders. Apart from not allowing anyone to pull over and making that portion an adventure for cross-country cyclists, in the winter it can be a huge problem when it snows and a plow goes through. While the outside barrier is not solid and allows plowed snow through to some extent, the centre barrier is concrete and often has snow accumulate. On some trips I have found two lanes disappear down to two half-lanes very quickly.

Also, some of the turning geometry on the old interchanges in a little off, particularly on the east one. One year I was heading WB when I hit some black ice just before going under the bridge. Thankfully the ice ended before I hit the bridge pillars, however I was definitely worried about sliding into them at highway speed.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 3:07 PM

The west end bridge is being rebuilt to more modern standards. Supposed to be some kind of design study coming out.

Had the discussion previously about shoulders on bridges. Such as Disraeli having no shoulders at all. Is it needed?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 3:43 PM

^ Yes in both cases, but arguably much more so on a high speed rural highway. I'm no engineer, but that overpass Dave mentioned looks woefully deficient to me with that steep drop off and no shoulder at all on the bridge.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 4:43 PM

Moved from Western Expresso.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I spoke with those involved, the plan was in place to replace the 59 North floodway bridge in 2020/2021 (before the existing bridge was hit). The repairs were north of $1.5 million (insurance coverage was $500-$800k). They saw no reason to spend the $1.5m only to rip it down 1-2 years later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Thanks Biff. 2020 is quickly drawing to a close. Are those dates still accurate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
These facts will probably ruin someone's furious indignation.
Quote:

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 4:52 PM

Kind of as expected. 3 lanes each way with widening to 4 in future. Keeping it on current alignment as much as possible Instead of the alternative which has property requirements and more curves in the highway.

Hopefully the curves east of the bridge will be adjusted to achieve 100 km/h speeds. It mentions they'll be upgraded to smooth road geometry.

Note this is from early 2019, so plans could've changed by now.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 4:59 PM

More info here on some other projects. Not sure I've seen the Portage Bypass open house before.

https://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/wms/structures/design.html

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 5:56 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Kind of as expected. 3 lanes each way with widening to 4 in future. Keeping it on current alignment as much as possible Instead of the alternative which has property requirements and more curves in the highway.

Hopefully the curves east of the bridge will be adjusted to achieve 100 km/h speeds. It mentions they'll be upgraded to smooth road geometry.

Note this is from early 2019, so plans could've changed by now.
The plan is build one new span (i cant recall if north or south first) move traffic, demo old structure and build new structure. The build around option like they did on the Hwy 1 Floodway bridge was not an option at this location due to alignment issues.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The plan is build one new span (i cant recall if north or south first) move traffic, demo old structure and build new structure. The build around option like they did on the Hwy 1 Floodway bridge was not an option at this location due to alignment issues.
I think Bomberjet was wondering if the project was still going to start in November or if it has been delayed/cancelled

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 12:40 PM

Ya a little of both. Overall sequence is likely the same. Just wondering if all the details regarding highway works, etc are the same.

Also haven't heard anything recently on the project.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 1:16 PM
What could go wrong?

Yes, it is still planned for this fall.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 2:01 PM

While we're on the topic, once the new bridge is built are there plans to extend the 6 lane part of 59 beyond the Birds Hill town exit? I'm not sure what the AADT standards are for 6 lanes, but it seems to me that 59 is really busy up to at least Garven Road... could probably use an extra lane up to at least that point.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 2:12 PM

Thanks Biff.

Based on the plans from the links I shared, not yet for 6 lanes. The bridge will have 6 lanes, but 2 of them are for the ramps at the east end. Widening in the future to allow for 6 through lanes. Seeing as 59 is 6 lanes through the Birds Hill intersection already, it would make sense that they put 6 lanes through to Graven now. It would be the extra cost of the bridge girders and deck. They'll build the piers to accommodate the 8 lanes anyway.

But you're right. Garven is busy with gravel trucks and traffic to Oakbank. Could use 6 lanes from 101 to Garven.

I'm not sure if I've seen it on a Manitoba highway anywhere. But they could set-up an intersection at Garven similar to the intersection that's at Bishop and Kenaston. Have the 2 southbound lanes on 59 continue straight through with no traffic lights. Then have the left turn lanes from 59S and garven meet an intersection separated by a median/barrier. That left turn lane from Garven then becomes the third lane on 59S. The Bishop/Kenaston merge can be a bit sketchy because people are weaving to both sides to stores and such. Wouldn't be the case at garven.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks Biff.

Based on the plans from the links I shared, not yet for 6 lanes. The bridge will have 6 lanes, but 2 of them are for the ramps at the east end. Widening in the future to allow for 6 through lanes. Seeing as 59 is 6 lanes through the Birds Hill intersection already, it would make sense that they put 6 lanes through to Graven now. It would be the extra cost of the bridge girders and deck. They'll build the piers to accommodate the 8 lanes anyway.

But you're right. Garven is busy with gravel trucks and traffic to Oakbank. Could use 6 lanes from 101 to Garven.
This is the province where on-ramps on the bald prairie spit you directly into highway traffic with next to no merge space. Going out on a limb here, but there is no way that MI is building a bridge deck with 6 lanes to provide that much accel/decel room for the Spring Hill exit! It appears fully intended to accommodate 6 through lanes at some point in the future... the question is when.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 2:31 PM

Well the way it's set-up in that plan is for the ramp lanes with future widening! But maybe in the future they'll just dump those ramps directly onto the through lanes like you mentioned lol

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 3:19 PM
What could go wrong?

bomberjet - clearly MIT has heard your concerns to get the bridge underway sooner than later.

September 15, 2020 PROVINCE ISSUES TENDER FOR NEW BRIDGE ON PTH 59
- - -
Highly Anticipated Bridge Reconstruction
Moving Forward on PTH 59 over Floodway: Schuler

The Manitoba government is moving forward with the tendering process for a new bridge on Provincial Trunk Highway (PTH) 59 over the Red River Floodway, Infrastructure Minister Ron Schuler announced today.

“Our governments’ priority is safety; this bridge is 56 years old, deteriorating and requires replacement as it has exceeded its original design service life,” said Schuler. “Over 17,000 vehicles cross this bridge daily and we need to ensure the safe movement of both people and goods can continue.”

The bridge on PTH 59 over the Red River Floodway was constructed in 1964, and serves as a vital link to many Manitoban destinations such as Birds Hill Provincial Park, Whiteshell and Grand Beach, as well as a link to First Nations communities and several towns and villages. The bridge is a connection to the city of Winnipeg and other areas in Manitoba, and acts as an important trade corridor for goods and services.

On July 12, 2018, the bridge suffered an over-height vehicle collision. Immediately following the incident, Manitoba Infrastructure inspected the bridge and determined the damaged girder and a portion of the deck needed to be removed. Removal of these sections prevented further damage and allowed for re-opening of the Oasis Road under the bridge.

A public information session on the bridge replacement was held last May to inform the public of the design work, with construction to begin this fall. North and southbound bridges will be built to replace the existing structure and roadway realignments will take place. In addition, the bridge replacement will have an increased clearance of 1.5 metres in height to meet new floodway standards. Construction will be staged to accommodate the operation of the Red River Floodway and is anticipated to be completed and fully open to traffic by fall of 2023, the minister added.

“We are excited to be moving ahead with the new PTH 59 bridge. This is a much-needed investment in critical infrastructure as we work to restart Manitoba’s economy,” the minister said.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 3:26 PM

Just gotta rattle some chains Biff! We get stuff done on SSP! haha

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 3:30 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Just gotta rattle some chains Biff! We get stuff done on SSP! haha
I’m jealous.
Lately I’ve been debating whether or not to tune it down re twinning of the last 26 km of TCH lest it takes away resources from Perimeter Highway upgrade.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 3:47 PM

I guess it doesn't hurt that this project is in, or right on the boundary at least, of the Infrastructure Minister's constituency!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 1:08 AM

We all know how much Manitoba and Winnipeg suck with our roads.... our province and city are soooooooo far behind from everyone else in Canada... and I actually hate our signage for roads, places and attractions across the city too but that isn't the point right now..
Very recently I had a two day dream of the most random thing ever, I became the first female Priemer.... Premier Katelynn and it was amazing as my entire campaign was built on infrastructure and I bloody won based on that alone. The other day we had a debate amongst friends of how crappy our roads are and everyone said how amazing Regina is.... like Regina to Winnipeg, slap to us. Even Saskatoon is talking freeway bypass around its city... soooo I think that's why I had these dreams. I thought why not post this on here for some crazy ideas. You may hate them love them but why not share the dream of someone who wants to improve our roads. Crazy times we live in so why not share a random dream. Hope it makes you smile or laugh or something positive. Yes I have driven on a lot of these roads many many many times in life and go omg why isn't this a twin road already... then i go OOOOHHH Manitoba that's why.
what I would do starting in the West and move East.

-> diamond in Virden

->make highway 16 four lanes, twin it... try make it as much as possible free flow of traffic- like go around Neepawa maybe a Diamond in Neepawa for Hwy 5 and 16... maybe a diamond in Russell for 16 and 83.... that maybe not so much anyway

->at Minnedosa have a nice interchange for Hwy 10 and Hwy 16 up on the north side of town, yes move and redirect the Hwy 16 to go around Minnedosa just north of the lake.

->I would twin Hwy 10 starting from just north of Minnedosa and have it twinned all down to Hwy 2

->have a Hwy 2 & Hwy 10 interchange, prob move Hwy 2 to line up

->I would move Hwy 10 around Forrest and I would do a interchange for Hwy 110 north and south of Brandon as a bypass around the city.
debating if Hwy 110 should be only two lane or twined around Brandon and Hwy 10 would be twin right to 1st Street

->Brandon would get an interchange/diamond for 1st St and 18th St

>I would screw the roundabout at 16 and 1, do the bridge over the train tracks and do a proper big good interchange for those roads.
or maybe move the interchange towards the west side of Portage and make a fancy interchange with 16 and 1 and 1a and the current intersection would be Hwy 305 extension to the new road of Hwy 16 and Hwy 1 with a simple diamond for the east bound to turn north... someone I am sure can make a good Hwy 1 free flow going east and west with turn off ramps to Hwy 16 going north then heading east/west

->Diamond at Elie, sweet god this is needed

->do anything to make Hwy 1 free flow of traffic

->Do the CentrePort Canada Way/Headlingley Bypass right to Hwy 1 and Hwy 26 and make a good interchange there.

->would twin Hwy 6 allllll the way up to Hwy 68 the turn off to The Narrows, its amazing how under developed Lake Manitoba is as Lake Winnipeg gets so much attention. Its a busy enough road with a lot of trucks I think its just time.

->Twin Hwy 59 all the way to Grand Beach, build that diamond at Hwy 202 and twin Hwy 59 to about St Malo and build interchanges for Hwy 311 and Hwy 52.. would go around St Pierre Joly and St Malo

->Hwy 75 full on interstate style and go around Morris, complete free flow of traffic

->twin Hwy 2 from the Perimeter to around Starbuk

->twin Hwy 3 from the Perimeter to after Brunkild

->Build the Oakbank connector

->Make the North & South Perimeter complete free flowing traffic, build over the trains and make it ALL 6 lane or more road, all interchanges all diamonds... none of this 4 lane and room to expand when ready, just do it already its bad enough!!

->build the st norbert bypass sooner then later

->have proper interchanges or diamonds for bishop gradin/lag, kenaston/waverley west, kenaston/bishop, kenaston/mcgillvary, kenaston/taylor, kenaston/grant, kenaston/corydon (i think edmonton made some squish together) alot of brookside, centerport canada way should be no lights, regent and lag, chief peguis, build that inner ring road. wasnt there somewhere once upon a time fermor and mcgillvary could of joined up and mcphillips to waverley... oh the dreams

and basically hire amazing people to make roads to handle our crap winter spring thaw so they aren't always crap every year and try spend dang good money for the long run for the future of our province...

so here it is, laugh judge giggle. it was my dream and I hope you enjoy

Last edited by kattiff; Sep 30, 2020 at 1:59 AM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 1:12 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Don’t let dreams be dreams!
I already wonder how many (besides SSP-ers) actually want Pallister gone.

Ps: At least you only need to propose interchanges for the most part. Me, I've had to propose 4-laning for 1482 km of TCH in Northern Ontario and in Upper Ottawa Valley. (It's in the map in my signature.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan