HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 8:37 AM

Urban Air Jackson is getting closer to opening. This is their post from Instagram:

Quote:
We are SUPER EXCITED to be opening in Jackson,MS soon!

#urbanairadventurepark #urbanairjackson #familytime #urban #air #urbanair #letemfly #letemclimb
https://www.instagram.com/urbanairjackson/?img_index=2

Last edited by vetteking; Nov 16, 2023 at 8:11 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 3:49 AM

100 magnolias planted at LeFleur’s Bluff Complex

Quote:
JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – The Mississippi Children’s Museum (MCM) and MDWFP’s Museum of Natural Science celebrated 100 magnolias planted at the LeFleur’s Bluff Complex in LeFleur’s Bluff State Park.

LeFleur’s Bluff Complex is now home to more than 100 magnolias of various shapes, sizes, and varieties. Officials said Sweetbay, Saucer, Star, and several Southern Magnolia varieties now adorn the complex’s gateway entrance and along the picturesque Spotter’s Adventure Trail.

Additionally, decorative park benches have been thoughtfully placed along Spotter’s Adventure Trail.

While the new joint entrance at LeFleur’s Bluff Complex has been successfully completed, it is not yet open for full-time public access. The next phase of the project includes parking lot updates that will require the joint entrance to remain closed for a few more months.

“The vision of the masterplan for the LeFleur’s Bluff Complex and surrounding area will provide numerous recreational and educational opportunities to attract visitors to our state and city, as well as increasing the well-being of our local community. Tourism is a major economic driver for our state and the collaboration between MCM, MDWFP, MMNS and the MDWFP Foundation has resulted in inspirational state-of-the-art amenities, which are leading the way in our state for destination development,” said Susan Garrard, President of MCM.

https://www.wjtv.com/news/local-news...bluff-complex/

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 4:01 AM

The Elephant’s Trunk opens in South Jackson

Quote:
Grace Shelby-Wells darts about her south Jackson boutique of fashion, jewelry and hand-crafted items multi-tasking with a smile, and well, with grace.

She stops, looks around, lights a few candles to set a warm, welcoming mood, then begins arranging a display of colorful Fall hues.

“For about 20 years, I was a marketing executive assistant for a wonderful company,” said Shelby-Wells. “But you know, I’ve always had an artist’s mentality.”

” And this,” she says, with a sweep of her hand, “has been my dream. I’ve always loved being creative and this dream here just kept being put on the back burner. It was in the background, but never far from my mind, always.”

“Truth be told, there was that part of me that honestly felt being an artist, creating and decorating wouldn’t get me paid. So, you do grown-up things. Get a good job, get married, have kids. And life does get in the way. And still…,” she trails into silence.

But the smile comes back full force.

“So, fast forward. After many, many years, I decided at the top of this year to push forward no matter what. Fear, no matter. Anxiety, no matter, I would push forward and follow my dream. It empowered me. Like an elephant, strong; a determined, regal creature and that’s how I felt inside. It was time for me to move forward. Remember, an elephant never forgets. Thus, you know… The Elephant’s Trunk.”

Shelby-Wells’ boutique offers an array of fashion, jewelry and hand-crafted, decorative items. The business is located at 2570 N. Siwell Road in south Jackson.

https://mississippitoday.org/2023/11...south-jackson/
The Bread and Butter Shoppe opens in downtown Greenwood, MS

Quote:
A sign perched on a shelf at Valour Cobbins’ Bread and Butter Shoppe reads, “If you cook, they will come.”

How else to explain a booming business in the center of downtown Greenwood, a business that was supposed to be the resurrection of a winery that had closed?

“God had other plans … a different route for me,” said Cobbins, as she prepared a chicken salad sandwich for a customer. “This used to be The Winery at Williams Landing. I saw this wonderful space and that a kitchen had been added. However, seeing as how the whole wine making process takes quite a bit of time, I thought, you know I really love cooking. Why not make good, nutritional food and make money too while I get this winery going?”

Plot twist.

Her love for cooking – gourmet cooking at that – and unexpected financial support started Cobbins on a path that would spotlight her culinary talents.

“If you cook, they will come.”

And come they do.

On a whim, Cobbins says she applied for a grant she spotted while surfing Facebook.

“I thought, why not? The process was simple enough.”

Her whim turned into reality when Cobbins learned she had been chosen to receive a $5,000 Coalition to Back Black Businesses (CBBB) grant, along with a business coach. Optimum, along with parent company Altice USA, broadband communications and video services providers, in partnership with CBBB, also awarded Cobbins a $25,000 enhancement grant that “provides the Black business community with resources, funds, and mentorship opportunities.”

“I’m telling you; it was a blessing. The grants were amazing, something we desperately needed. The pandemic almost put us under.”

“I officially opened in April of 2021. By September, the business was so busy, the winery was put on the back burner. It’s still on the back burner, but not out of the picture,” she said, heading outside to the rear of her shop with a few customers in tow to show off her garden.

“I love gardening too. And a lot of what I cook with, I grow right here in my little garden,” she says, while tending to her tomato plants.

Located at intersection of Howard Street and Wright Place, the Bread and Butter Shoppe offers a variety of gourmet sandwiches, salads, wraps, specialty teas and smoothies, and fresh juices.

“I’m doing this. Me. And I love it … this … cooking for people,” Cobbins said, adding, “I call myself a ‘solopreneur.'”
https://mississippitoday.org/2023/08...butter-shoppe/
Popular brunch restaurant to open in Meridian

Quote:
MERIDIAN, Miss. (WTOK) -Omelets, eggs benedict, and house-made mimosas are making their way to Meridian in just a few weeks.

Eggs Up Grill will be opening a new location right off North Hills Street.

This restaurant will bring the Queen City a ton of brunch options as well as classic American diner food.

The company is excited to finally open a branch in Mississippi and to be a part of a growing community.

”Everybody is excited to be here. We looked at a lot of spots, and we chose this spot we thought it would make us a better neighbor to our area here. We have homes over here, schools over here, plus we have businesses here, and I think that puts us right in the middle to be able to be a part of the community and not just another business,” said Owner Richard Harris.

To learn more about Eggs Up Grill, you can visit their Facebook page by clicking here (https://www.facebook.com/EUGMeridian)

https://www.wtok.com/2023/11/11/popu...open-meridian/

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 10:27 AM

Good morning fellow Mississippians, this holiday season please get in the giving spirit and please donate to the only community jazz station in the state of Mississippi, WJSU. Whatever you can will make a HUGE difference to make sure WJSU stays on our airwaves. Here is the link to donate whatever you can to WJSU 88.5 FM: https://fundraise.givesmart.com/form/r6y7iA?vid=1284m5

Old Posted Nov 16, 2023, 8:09 AM

Jackson Convention Complex Hotel Proposal (this project from 2011 fell through but I still wanted to post, so you guys can see the beautiful design of the building kinda reminds me of a taller version of The Westin Hotel)

Quote:
JACKSON, Miss. —
A Texas company said on Monday that it will guarantee any losses that may come with a $89 million Jackson Convention Complex hotel project that is backed by the city.

Jackson city leaders agree that there is a need for a new hotel across the street from the Convention Complex, because it would boost business. The worry is the city having to basically cosign a $90 million loan to do it.

TCI, of Dallas, owns the property around the Convention Complex as a result of a deal made during late Mayor Frank Melton's administration. The company wants to build a 309-room hotel across the street, but said it can't get the loans to do it unless the city gets bond money for the project.

"We're not taking city money. We are taking credit enhancement. We're guaranteeing all the losses," said TCI Executive Vice President Al Crozier.

TCI said it's backing the whole loan and the entire project. But the bottom line is, if the project fails, if that company files bankruptcy, the city of Jackson has to repay the money.

"There is some risk involved, no question about it, but the way this deal is scheduled, the developer -- the owner -- has to guarantee 100 percent through his company. It's like cosigning a note," Mayor Harvey Johnson said.

The city will buy the land from TCI and then lease that property back to the hotel operator. The operators have to put up $100 million against any potential losses.

There is a deadline of 2 p.m. Tuesday for proposals for the hotel. The Jackson Redevelopment Authority is expected to select a winning proposal on Friday.

https://www.wapt.com/article/jackson...oposal/2064984

Entergy Mississippi opens new $32.5M transmission office

Video Link

Quote:
FLORA, Miss. (WJTV) – On Wednesday, Entergy Mississippi opened a $32.5-million facility in Flora to bring key operations together, enhance the statewide transmission grid and support central substation groups.

The Flora Transmission Office will support resiliency and reliability efforts. The facility combines Entergy’s transmission line department, substation operations department and the central Mississippi substation maintenance department for the Jackson metropolitan area.

About 40 full-time employees work from the newly constructed 102,400-square-foot building, which includes space for offices, storm operations, and more than 71,000-square-feet of storage for materials and a pole yard.

“This site provides us the space we need to store key materials – advancing resiliency and reliability efforts across our service territory,” said Haley Fisackerly, Entergy Mississippi president and CEO. “We’re eager to bring vital departments together for smoother operations, and proud to invest in the Flora community.”

In addition to the building and pole yard, Entergy Mississippi worked with the Madison County Economic Development Authority on a road extension.

https://www.wjtv.com/news/local-news...ission-office/
7 Brew celebrates grand opening in Flowood

Video Link

Quote:
FLOODWOOD, Miss (WJTV) – A new coffee location has opened in the City of Flowood.

7 Brew Coffee held ribbon cutting on Wednesday, November 15. The drive-thru coffee shop is located on Pineview Drive.

Sebastian Bedford, the regional manager, said they want to stand out from other businesses by being involved with the community.

“We don’t want it to be another business that pops in town, just tries to sell to everybody. We also want to be involved. Like we said, you know, we’ve got all these people here from the community right now, from officers to the mayor to our chamber here. And, you know, we just want to be as involved as we can and not just be a, you know, another company that pops in and is just showing up to be here,” Bedford said.

7 Brew Coffee also made a $1,000 donation to Northwest Rankin’s food drive.

https://www.wjtv.com/news/local-news...ng-in-flowood/
MSU dining to experience $30 million modernization

Quote:
Mississippi State University and its dining contractor Aramark are modernizing campus dining services through a $30 million project to renovate and relocate dining options on campus.

MSU’s current contract with Aramark is coming to an end, and the two entities have designed a new master dining plan. The Marketplace at Perry is undergoing a comprehensive remodel. Starbucks, Subway and State Fountain Bakery are being relocated. All of the dining options along Lee Boulevard are receiving refreshed spaces, and a new sushi and noodle restaurant will replace the University Florist at 100 Lee Blvd.

Historic Perry Hall to receive transformative remodel

Home to MSU traditions like Fried Chicken Wednesday and Catfish Friday, the Perry cafeteria has a history that dates back over a hundred years. The Perry was constructed in 1921 and is a registered Mississippi Landmark.

Resident District Manager at Aramark James Jankowski said Perry will receive updated hardware including new kitchens, improved plumbing, electrical services and increased seating capacity.

The renovated Perry will have three kitchens: a traditional, Southern-style kitchen similar to the Comfort option currently offered, a produce section with vegan options, a salad bar and a grill and barbecue section complete with a smoker, chargrill and griddles.

Meals at Perry will no longer be all-you-can-eat. Instead of swiping a block meal at the door, students will use their block meal at each individual kitchen. Each kitchen will offer “single-serve meals” that will include an entrée and side dishes in larger portions than what is currently offered.

Jankowski said Perry Cafeteria’s kitchens are currently designed for a more traditional cafeteria setting, where someone can grab a tray and go through the line. The new design will allow the kitchens to better adapt to changes in dining styles. By reducing the number of kitchens in the Perry from nine to three, the cafeteria will be able to offer better quality meals.

“I’m really excited that these chefs will have the opportunity to really get into the menu development and focus on things that are certainly going to set these kitchens apart from what we’re doing today,” Jankowski said.

Jankowski said that there will be a glass addition to Perry facing Lee Boulevard.

This addition will also include a social staircase and elevator connecting Perry, and will add about 70 seats. This will allow students and guests to visit multiple dining locations, including the ones on Lee Boulevard, without leaving the building.

“So, you could actually be in upstairs Perry and then go downstairs to State Fountain Bakery without ever leaving the building,” Jankowski said. “And so for us, I think it really connects to the two locations and really brings the building together as a whole.”

Daniel Zito, an architect for Tipton Associates working on the project, said there will also be a “rooftop dining terrace” on the north side of Perry that extends out from the upper floor, providing an additional 30 seats.

Zito said the project will transform Perry into a “campus living room.” The renovation will add study spaces, a student lounge and an outdoor seating area. Students will be able to use the Perry as a place to study or congregate with other students without using a block meal.

“Rather than eating being the only activity, dining in Perry Hall will be an activator for many student and even visitor activities,” Zito said. “Everyone will be welcome there. To meet this goal, specific design elements include new dining venues, expanded seating activities, and new entrances to make Perry Hall more accessible.”

While Perry is closed for renovations, Fresh Food Company will begin serving breakfast in the mornings in addition to lunch and dinner. Pre-packaged meals will be available to students all over campus at the POD or Maroon Market locations. MSU is planning to bring in four to six food trucks that will be set up in the plaza outside the YMCA Building. Another food truck will operate outside of Fresh Food Company. The food trucks will be open every day of the week.

Jankowski said MSU will be changing its food service offerings for people with food allergies. The upcoming wave of renovations will bring a new self-contained kitchen for students with specific dietary needs to Fresh Food Company.

Vice President for Student Affairs Regina Hyatt said that the renovations are about making the Perry more relevant to students today.

“I think we’ve tried really hard throughout this whole process to take the feedback that students have been giving us over time and to try to adapt to what’s really just a more current way of eating,” Hyatt said.

Hyatt said the renovations are coming in response to MSU’s growing student body and student feedback. The goal is for students to be able to use Perry Cafeteria for more than just dining.

“We think of the Union as the living room of campus. Well, maybe Perry’s gonna be like the den and a space that students really can utilize on a much more regular basis than they did when it was only seen as a cafeteria,” Hyatt said.

The renovations to Perry will begin in May 2024. Perry will be closed for the entire 2024-2025 school year. It is expected to reopen at the start of the 2025 school year.

Expansion coming to dining options along Lee Boulevard

The glass expansion of Perry towards Lee Boulevard will provide refreshed spaces for dining. Subway will be joining a new sushi and noodle restaurant in the building that is currently the Student Media Center and the University Florist. State Fountain Bakery will reclaim its historic home where Subway is currently located, and Moe’s Southwest Grill will be receiving a renewed space.

According to Zito, this glass addition will allow for the original architecture of Perry to still be visible. It will also allow for the State Fountain Bakery and other locations within it to be visible and to advertise themselves without having to add signs that distract from the architecture of the building.

Jankowski said that moving restaurants to other locations, such as Subway into the Student Media Center, will provide more opportunities to improve the dining experience.

“By relocating it to the Media Center, we can add over 70 additional seats for students, providing a more spacious and comfortable dining plan," Jankowski said. "Additionally, this allows us to expand the menu and update Subway’s branding to better cater to the preferences of our student community."

A new sushi restaurant will take the place of the University Florist at 100 Lee Blvd. Jankowski said the plan was based on the positive response to sushi in POD markets.

“We received a lot of positive feedback about the sushi offerings in the POD markets,” Jankowski said. “We saw an opportunity to further enhance this program and provide even more variety to our students.”

Jankowski mentioned that the new restaurant, as well as the PODs, will allow for a greater variety of options to be available for hungry customers.

“With the addition of the restaurant, we will be able to do the grab-and-go still,” Jankowski said. “We’ll also be able to expand the menu, you get some freshly made poke bowls, broth bowls with ramen, and udon soup.”

Zito said the Subway and sushi restaurant project will begin in January 2024 and that the goal is to have these locations fully operating before The Marketplace at Perry is shut down for construction in May 2024.

Zito said the current dining options struggle to support students' tastes.

“Typically, things need to be refreshed,” Zito said. “Whether it be by the brands, or just student tastes. We like something and then a few years later, it starts to get old.”

Jankowski hopes the new dining plan will benefit both businesses and the customers.

“Our goal is to create a vibrant dining neighborhood,” Jankowski said. “This will allow students and the community to easily move between these locations, fostering a sense of community and shared space for everyone to enjoy.”

State Fountain Bakery, Starbucks to relocate

With the Perry renovation, Starbucks will be moving to the second-floor addition to the south side of Perry, near Montgomery Hall, and will be similar to a free-floating coffee kiosk you may find in an airport. Next to Starbucks will be a designated quiet space that can be reserved for group study or presentations.

“And then it'll have seating around it. Some of it will be just regular cafe tables, some of it will be soft seating,” Zito said.

Hyatt said the new Starbucks location, along with all other aspects of the plan, will be better equipped to handle the growing student population.

"The new Starbucks location will allow for a much more expansive fulfillment area and more opportunities for the equipment that's needed to produce drinks and food items," Hyatt said. "And of course, a lot more seating will be available for people who are coming in to get their drinks, etc.”

The current Starbucks location will continue operating until the new location is completed within the Perry renovation. Then, that area will be expanded to provide more space for students, one of the overarching goals of the new plan.

Jankowski said another key objective for the dining plan is to return State Fountain Bakery to its historic home, the space currently occupied by Subway. The bakery was moved to its current location in the Colvard Student Union in 2015.

“The main focus right now for me is to just get it back to its original location – make it a destination for students. So, you have a strong coffee program, pastries, the hot sandwiches, you know,” Jankowski said. “A long-term goal for us is to make it a destination point for the community of Starkville and then also for, during home games, have alumni come and be able to come in before the game and have a hot sandwich or a cup of coffee.”

Kathleen Olivieri, an MSU alumna and lecturer within Bagley College of Engineering, has fond memories of State Fountain’s original home and is excited about it being relocated back. She described it as a magical and beloved meeting place for both students and alumni.

“It was an everyday occurrence to walk in there and the faculty in there not being able to get a table because it was so busy,” Olivieri said. “There was something really special about that location. I don't know if it was because you could smell the bakery and the baked goods, or if it was the people behind the counter because you got to know them, or if it was the location. It was just all wrapped up in something really special for Mississippi State.”

During construction of the new State Fountain Bakery, the Union location will close except to fulfill catering orders. Then, it will be repurposed as a “Perry-to-go” location to continue serving students block meals while Perry is under construction. Once the Perry renovations are completed, it will become a new space for event services.

Hyatt said the project will transform the student dining experience across campus.

“This is certainly in response to feedback from students about their desires related to dining, and then to help meet the needs of our growing student population,” Hyatt said.

Hyatt said the master dining plan is broken into 5-year planning cycles. Once the Perry renovations are completed, changes to the Colvard Student Union will be designed.

https://www.reflector-online.com/new...826c97b4e.html

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 8:06 AM

Great article on the Mississippi Farmers Market

Quote:
With More Than 60 Vendors, Restaurants, And Events, You Could Spend All Day At The Mississippi Farmers Market

Thanks to the Mississippi Farmers Market, shopping local couldn’t be easier! The massive open-air market boasts great grub, interesting events, and dozens of vendors. Much more than a market, it’s a destination, and you’ve got to visit.

The Mississippi Farmers Market occupies an 18,000-square-foot complex in Jackson.

It's not just one of the biggest farmers markets in the state, though. It’s also been named the “best farmers market in Mississippi” by Mississippi Magazine.

A premier shopping destination, the market has more to offer than fruits and veggies. Although, the produce selection is amazing and includes an array of organic goods.

The massive farmers market plays host to more than 60 vendors.

The variety of vendors means a variety of merchandise.

As you make your way around the market, you'll find an impressive selection of fresh food, artisanal crafts, and lots more.

Special events, such as cooking demonstrations, are also part of the fun at the Mississippi Farmers Market.

And thanks to the opening of City Limits Café in January 2021, you can even enjoy a homemade meal at the market.

The café offers both cafeteria-style food and made-to-order options.

And though the farmers market is open only on Saturdays, from 8 a.m. – 1 p.m., City Limits Café is open Monday – Friday for breakfast and lunch.

Brimming with incredible merchandise as well as amenities and perks, this Jackson farmers market is definitely worthy of being deemed the state’s best. For more information, call the Mississippi Farmers Market at (601) 354-6573. You can also visit the market’s website (https://www.mdac.ms.gov/bureaus-depa...farmers-market) or Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/msfarmersmarket/).

So, did you know about this massive market? Ever visited? If so, what’d you think? Know of another great farmers market? Have any other thoughts or comments?

This isn’t the only amazing farmers market. Read about another here.
https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/miss...ers-market-ms/
Also, here are pictures from last Saturday on Mississippi Farmer's Market Facebook page:

Quote:
Mississippi Farmers Market

Local produce is totally “rad!” Visit the #MSFarmersMarket today, 8am-1pm!

https://www.facebook.com/msfarmersma...3DDTanRvB2Ej5l
Lastly, remember Mississippi Farmer's Market hours are every Saturday from
8:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 8:26 AM

Lillie’s Restaurant holds grand opening at Jackson Medical Mall

Video Link

Quote:
JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – A new eatery was added to the Jackson Medical Mall on Thursday.

A grand opening was held for the second location for Lillie’s Restaurant. The business is located inside the Livingston Road entrance of the Jackson Medical Mall.

The owners are encouraging the community to support all of the businesses inside the Jackson Medical Mall.

https://www.wjtv.com/news/local-news...-medical-mall/
Mississippi breweries you can visit on your next trip

Quote:
JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – Many people enjoy a good beer after a long day.

Some of those specialty beers are crafted at breweries across the country, including breweries right here in Mississippi. WJTV 12 News compiled a list of some of the breweries you can visit in Mississippi on your next trip.

Bicentennial Beer Company – Jackson

Bicentennial Beer Company opened up in LD’s Beer Run in Jackson. Visitors and Jacksonians can sample and purchase from one of the brewery’s 12 in-house taps or try everything from bottled beer to cider.

Chandeleur Island Brewing Company – Gulfport

Chandeleur Island Brewing Company is located in a historic building in downtown Gulfport. Their products include ales, which are created with malted barley, hops and local ingredients.

Colludium Brewing Company – Hattiesburg

Colludium Brewing Company is located in the heart of Hattiesburg. Visitors can enjoy more than 100 board games at the location, which offers a family friendly environment. All of the beer is brewed on premises and can be found at the brewpub.

Fertile Ground Beer Co. – Jackson

Fertile Ground Beer Co. is located at the Belhaven Town Center. They offer a selection of craft beer brewed on-site. In 2022, the brewery partnered with Capital City Beverage to distribute their products.

Fly Llama Brewing – Biloxi

Fly Llama Brewing, located in Biloxi, offers craft beer and hard seltzer made from locally sourced ingredients. Their taproom features up to 18 different beers and seltzers on draft.

Fort Bayou Brewing Company – Ocean Springs

Fort Bayou Brewing Company is a microbrewery and brewpub. The Cypress Taphouse, located at the brewery, serves Cajun inspired dishes and brews.

Key City Brewing Company – Vicksburg

Located inside of Cottonwood Public House, Key City Brewing Company provides artfully crafted beers in the heart of Vicksburg’s Downtown. They brew everything from lagers, IPAs, robust stouts and even sours.

Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company – Kiln

Located in Kiln, Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company opened in 2005. They were Mississippi’s first packaging brewery since prohibition. One of their signature drinks is the ‘Southern Pecan’ Brown Ale.

Natchez Brewing Company – Natchez

The Natchez Brewing Company is located in historic downtown Natchez. Some of the beer that you’ll find on tap includes ales, lagers, IPAs and seltzers.

The Porter Public House – Hattiesburg

Located in historic downtown Hattiesburg, The Porter offers regional craft beer and classic American pub fare. The Porter also offers a classic take on American cuisine with a Southern pub twist.

Southern Prohibition Brewing Company – Hattiesburg

Southern Prohibition is located in the heart of the Hub City. SoPro offers dry-hopped IPAs and bourbon barrel aged brews alongside their flagships.

Threefoot Brewing Company – Meridian

Located in Meridian, Threefoot Brewing offers a variety of beer styles, whether you’re looking for an ale or a lager. They craft each batch to be reduced gluten for everyone to enjoy.

https://www.wjtv.com/news/state/miss...our-next-trip/

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 1:44 PM

Congratulations to Jackson State University on the hiring of your new president, Dr. Marcus Thompson. I can’t wait to see what he has planned for the continued growth of the university. Happy times for JSU!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 3:21 PM

Johnson Commons West Renovation, University of Mississippi Completed Project

Quote:
Comprehensive renovation and expansion of 2-story, 50,000 sf campus dining venue.

Tipton Associates was retained to renovate The University of Mississippi’s Johnson Commons West building which was originally constructed in 1964. $11 million renovations include modernization and expansion of the 50,000 sf, 2 story west wing which houses the main campus dining location, catering, and administrative offices.

AREA
50,000 sf

CONSTRUCTION COST
$11 million
https://tipton-associates.com/our_wo...hnson-commons/

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 5:06 AM

Eastover adding another public access gate on Meadowbrook

Quote:
The Greater Eastover Neighborhood Foundation plans to add another public access gate.

Dana F. Robertson, executive director of the foundation, expects a public access gate will be installed at 2206 Meadowbrook Road, east of the East Ridge Drive intersection, next year.

“My best guess regarding the timing for installing the Meadowbrook gate would be the spring of 2024,” she said. The design and materials used will match that of the other gates in the neighborhood.

The Meadowbrook Road gate was not included in the foundation’s application for five other public access gates in 2021, Robertson said. The foundation intended to apply for the one on Meadowbrook Road at a later date, she said.

Public access gates, which will open when a driver approaches, have already been installed in Eastover at Eastover Drive at Ridgewood Road, Eastbourne Place at Ridgewood Road, Lake Circle between Restbrook Place and Rhymes Place, Douglass Drive between Ridgewood Road and Lake Circle and Quail Run Road at East Manor Drive.

The Jackson City Council approved the foundation’s application for the Meadowbrook Road gate on Nov. 7 with five members voting for it and two against it. Kenny Stokes of Ward 3 and Vernon Hartley of Ward 5 cast the dissenting votes.

Robertson told the council during its Nov. 7 meeting that the neighborhood wants to install the gate to slow traffic and allow a security camera to capture images of individuals passing through.

The gate, like the others installed in the Eastover neighborhood, will have high-tech features that include a motion detector, a battery-operated backup system approved by the city traffic engineer and a siren detector that will automatically open the gate when a siren is detected nearby.

Ashby Foote of Ward One spoke in favor of the gates and praised the neighborhood for the high quality of life it provides.

“The neighborhood association has worked hard on this, wanting to satisfy the different parties who have expressed concerns along the way during the past several years, and they have done a good job of satisfying those concerns,” he said. It’s a good way to improve property values and deter crime.”

Angelique Lee of Ward Two said several neighborhoods in her ward are interested in installing public access gates. She expressed interest in meeting with the Greater Eastover Neighborhood Foundation to learn from its experience.

The city does not need additional public access gates but more police officers, Stokes said.

“My vote has always been against gating because certain neighborhoods cannot gate,” he said. “I think the right move is more police officers. I hope we will increase our number of police officers and get our police force up to the proper numbers.”

No one from the public spoke against the Meadowbrook Road gate at the council meeting.

The foundation submitted an application for the Meadowbrook Road gate in late May and concluded the site plan review process on Sept. 7.

During the site plan review, the city’s traffic engineer brought up concerns with the gate location and its proximity to the East Manor Drive public access gate and the Jackson Fire Department raised concerns about the gate and its impact on response times.

Four members of the Site Plan Review Committee voted to approve the gate, four members to deny it and two members abstained.

A public hearing about the gate was held on Oct. 24 at City Hall. The meeting drew no opposition to the gate.

After years of meetings with city leaders and administrators, countless hours of planning and a good measure of persistence, Eastover leaders saw their goal of erecting public access gates achieved in 2022.

Discussions about gating in Eastover date to the summer of 2015 when Robertson met with Robert Lee, the city’s traffic engineer, to look at each of the neighborhood’s entrances and exits and address concerns about installing gates at those locations. At that time, the city’s gating ordinance only allowed neighborhoods with one entrance to install a gate.

In early 2016, Robertson met Jackson resident Sweyn Simrall, who was seeking approval to install a gate in the Northlake subdivision.

“She and I collaborated and began meeting with representatives from other neighborhoods such as Northpointe, Woodland Hills, Heatherwood and Rollingwood, who wanted to apply for gates,” Robertson said. “We also met with most of the council members at least once to ask for their support and to gain insight into their individual concerns.”

There were numerous meetings and public hearings on the gating ordinance with council members, neighborhood leaders and city representatives from all departments, Robertson said.

The current gating ordinance, which has provisions intended to make the process more transparent, was approved in November 2020, and the time that took prolonged Eastover’s quest for gating.

More than 80 percent of the residents of Eastover voted in favor of pursuing gates.

https://www.northsidesun.com/local-c...&e_sort_order=
Site preparation under way on five-story Fondren parking garage

Quote:
Site clearing for a five-story parking garage in Fondren that can hold 500 vehicles is under way. “We put up the construction fence and that’s definitely gotten people’s attention,” said Jason Watkins, one of the developers of the Fondren Entertainment District, which includes The Pearl tiki bar, Highball Lanes bowling alley and the Capri Theatre.

https://www.northsidesun.com/site-pr...&e_sort_order=

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 5:27 PM

Parking kiosks projected to make city money

Quote:
The Jackson City Council took an initial step toward replacing the old parking meters in downtown with modern parking kiosks that are estimated to generate as much as $1.2 million annually in revenue for the city. The council on Nov. 7 adopted an ordinance delegating the regulation of parking to a private enterprise through a contract, which is in keeping with Section 21-37-32
https://www.northsidesun.com/parking...&e_sort_order=
Shopping center demolition to make way for Lake Harbour

Quote:
All the tenants have moved from a small shopping center that sits on Lake Harbour Drive near U.S. 51 North in Ridgeland. The city of Ridgeland purchased the Ridgeland Plaza property, which is located behind the former Ridgeland City Hall and distinguished by a green awning, for about $1 million from Rainbow Development Corp. and relocated all the tenants.
https://www.northsidesun.com/shoppin...&e_sort_order=
When will ALDI open in Hattiesburg? We've got the date

Quote:
Technically it will still be fall, but Dec. 7 sure feels a lot more like winter since it's close to Christmas.

ALDI officials announced the Hattiesburg store would be open before Christmas with a ribbon-cutting at 9 a.m. Dec. 7 and a sneak peak inside the store on Dec. 6. Both events are open to the public.

"We're stocking our shelves with aisle after aisle of products you'll love, and we can't wait to meet you," ALDI officials said on the website. "The grand opening for our new grocery store in Hattiesburg is right around the corner, and so are your savings."

Hattiesburg's ALDI, at 6042 U.S. 98, has been more than a year in the making. The Hattiesburg American reported the store was coming to town in November 2022. Company officials cited a fall 2023 opening for the Hub City location.

ALDI opened another store in Flowood. That location opened in June. Other ALDI stores in Mississippi can be found in Ocean Springs, McComb, Meridian, Starkville, Tupelo, Horn Lake, Corinth, Olive Branch and Southaven.

In August, ALDI announced it had purchased the Winn-Dixie grocery store chain and would be converting most of those stores to ALDIs. The Winn-Dixie's that are close to an ALDI will remain Winn-Dixie.

Hattiesburg has one Winn-Dixie location on Hardy Street, about 1½ miles away.

Hattiesburg has not seen any new grocery store options for more than 20 years. It is home to the family-owned Corner Market stores. Other chain grocery options include Walmart and Target.

In 1998, Albertsons opened a store across from Walmart Supercenter on U.S. 49, but closed three years later.
https://www.clarionledger.com/story/...e/71667349007/
Aldermen vote to demolish restaurant

Quote:
RIDGELAND — A derelict building on Old Canton Road will be demolished by the city following a decision by aldermen on the grounds that it poses a risk to the safety of the community.

The city has notified the property owner they will proceed with demolition on or after Nov. 20, of this year, Public Works Director Alan Hart said. The property is known as The Crawfish Hut and is located at 6959 Old Canton Road.

Ward 6 Alderman Wesley Hamlin said the property is in his ward and has been “a nuisance for years.” Hart noted that vines are growing inside the building.

Hart said his office has advised the contractor, Faircloth Demolition, Inc. of Raymond, that they may proceed in December.

“The actual timing will come down to his availability,” Hart said. “I do not have an exact demolition day scheduled.”

The city received three bids for the demolition project. Faircloth was awarded the bid for submitting the low bid of $13,500. American Homes and Mannsdale Excavation LLC both submitted bids in excess of $15,500.

The scope of work includes the demolition of the existing structure and disposal of the demolished building leaving the concrete slab and foundation in place as well as other considerations.

Hart said in a memo to the board that they received partial renovation plans during the bidding process but the building would have to be brought up to code.

Hart said landscaping, parking, and drive aisle requirements were among the features that would hold back the proposed renovations from conforming to the city’s current codes. The memo notes “refuse disposal” as another concern.

“For a crawfish restaurant,” Hart writes. “This would be an important consideration.”

The owner, Jerry Bouldin, a contractor himself, told the Mayor and City Board of Aderman at last Tuesday’s regularly scheduled work session that he is currently waiting on a legal battle between other current stakeholders in the business to conclude so he will know who his partners in the venture are.

He said as a contractor he would like to make any renovations or undergo demolition himself.

Mayor Gene F. McGee said he thought any renovation would be “like putting lipstick on a pig.”

Ward 3 Alderman Kevin Holder put forth an agenda item to give the owner four months to sort out his affairs and bring the building up to code. McGee said the building had already had two years to bring it up to code.

“It is a code enforcement nightmare,” Hamlin said.

Aldermen voted 4-2 to demolish with Holder and Ward 5 Alderman Bill lee voting against. Ward 1 Alderman Ken Ehard was absent.

After the demolition, Hart said his office would return to consider the cost to be placed on the tax rolls.
https://onlinemadison.com/stories/al...taurant,88783?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2023, 12:33 PM

Happy Thanksgiving guys, wow I can't believe it's that time of year again already. May you guys be filled with love and full stomachs from the great food today. I also hope you reflect on the things you should be thankful for, because tomorrow isn't promised. God bless you guys and may you have a great day with all your loved ones making new memories.

I also want to say thank you to everyone that has interacted with me in this thread. I'm glad you get to see all the great projects in Jackson and Mississippi as a whole. We are more than the negative depictions of our great communities. I hope this thread inspire you to visit and spend time with us one day.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2023, 4:07 PM

Medical Pot Dispensary to Open in December in Greenwood

Star Buds, a Denver-based franchise of medical marijuana dispensaries, will open its newest Mississippi location in Greenwood next month at 2218 U.S. 82. (By Kevin Edwards)

Quote:
A medical marijuana dispensary will open in Greenwood next month. Star Buds, a franchise started in 2013 in Denver, will have a soft opening the second week of December at 2218 U.S. 82 in the building that formerly housed GameStop. Doug Stout, a Greenwood native who now lives in Ocean Springs, said he is excited to bring a “well-known brand and system to the state of Mississippi” for...
https://www.gwcommonwealth.com/medic...-open-december
Paving continues in Mendenhall

Quote:
The City of Mendenhall is nearing completion on a paving project that featured over 50 streets. Mayor Todd Booth said, “I just want to praise the board for stepping up to the plate to take control of our asphalt situation. We’re committed to fixing streets and making it better for the people.”
https://www.simpsoncounty.ms/paving-...&e_sort_order=
Magee Chamber of Commerce Welcomes Partridge Propane Inc.

Quote:
The Magee Chamber of Commerce held a ribbon cutting for its newest member Partridge Propane Inc. On hand for the ribbon cutting were General Manager Will Roberts, Director of Branch Management Sonya Jones, Branch Manager Hollie Bridges and Service Coordinator Jessica Holleman along with several chamber members. Partridge Propane is a full-service company in business since 1988 and headquartered in Florence, MS.
https://www.simpsoncounty.ms/magee-c...&e_sort_order=
Cold as Ice Kreamery: Making people feel better anytime of the year

Mary and Lee King pose outside of their food truck, Cold as Ice Kreamery, on Nov. 10, 2023, in Tupelo, Miss.

Cold as Ice Kreamery, shown on Nov. 10, 2023, in Tupelo, Miss., has a rotating selection flavors for customers.

Lee and Mary King work out of the Cold as Ice Kreamery food truck on Nov. 10, 2023, in Tupelo, Miss.

A selection of Cold as Ice Kreamery's ice cream flavors await customers' orders on Nov. 10, 2023, in Tupelo, Miss.

Quote:
TUPELO — Lee King had been making ice cream at home for quite some time when he began mulling the idea of selling his homemade concoctions.

His wife, however, was a bit more reluctant. King’s ice cream was good, certainly. But was it good enough to sell?

"I was, ‘No, we're not going to do that,’" said Mary King. "I was just nervous about taking off like that."

As it so happened, they took some samples to their small group meetings at Connect Church, and the ice cream was an immediate hit.

"They were saying we needed to start selling the ice cream, and we did. Then it just like blew up overnight," she said.

The Kings' plan was to attend events and festivals to get some name recognition, and they held their first pop-up event at The Snooty Owl in late August. A rolling freezer cart they use holds about 12-16 different individually sized portions.

When the King children were little, Lee and Mary would make the basic flavors — vanilla, chocolate, etc. Lee, however, liked to experiment with flavors.

"I liked different stuff, so instead of say, banana, I'd get on the internet and see if you could make a banana pudding ice cream, blueberry cheesecake,” he said. “So I started looking up these recipes and thought, 'I can make that.’”

The Kings also were inspired by a hole-in-the-wall ice cream shop in Panama City Beach they loved visiting.

"There's all these big chain ice cream shops, and this place is full nearly every time we went,” King said. “I thought, 'Why can't I do what she's doing?’ "I mean, who doesn't like ice cream?"

According to the International Dairy Foods Association, last year, ice cream makers in the U.S. churned out 1.38 billion gallons of ice cream. The ice cream industry also has a $13.1 billion impact on the U.S. economy, with most U.S. ice cream and frozen dessert manufacturers having been in business for more than 50 years. Many are still family-owned businesses.

It might be a little early for the Kings to make a big splash in the ice cream world, but as a cottage ice cream maker, they're carving out a niche that fits them just fine.

"I really don't want to open a store," Lee said. "They'll go, but if you take it to them ... I mean, if I go to work and somebody has some ice cream to sell, I can't turn it down. Not many people can."

But perhaps one of the biggest motivators for making ice cream is quite simple — he wants to make people feel better.

"You see the news, and there's so much bad stuff going on, so many people feeling down,” he said. “If I can make people smile for only 30 or 45 minutes or however long with ice cream, why not? Everybody loves ice cream.”

Besides the cart, the Kings purchased and wrapped a small trailer to serve as the Cold as Ice Kreamery food truck. The capacity is bigger to serve larger events.

"We started small with the freezers and made it like a hot dog cart. A month later, we needed another cart," Mary King said. "Then in the third month, we decided we needed a truck. On a Thursday, we went to Memphis and bought one."

If needed, the carts can go to one event or more and the food truck can go to another.

"If you're going to make money, you have to be in more than one place," Lee said with a laugh.

Cold as Ice Kreamery can set up practically anywhere and at any event, whether it's a birthday party, corporate event, school event, a neighborhood gathering or a festival.

"We've set up at a wedding engagement celebration, where they ordered a certain number of flavors and the guests could pick what they wanted," Mary King said.

Cold as Ice has a repertoire of flavors on their menu that can satisfy just about any set of taste buds. On a recent youth night at Connect Church, they served strawberry, vanilla, chocolate, strawberry cream, Butterfinger, brownie delight, cookies 'n' cream, banana pudding, blueberry cheesecake, apple pie and peach cobbler.

A recent addition has been oatmeal cream pie, and some other flavors are honey bun, cake batter and the Elvis (a combination of peanut butter and banana).

A couple of flavors the Kings like but haven't sold well are rocky road, dreamsicle, and fruity pebbles.

"But everything we've had has sold out, and we haven't had to throw away any," Mary King said. "We just phase some flavors out that haven't sold well."

Lee King said they can bring back any flavors by request.

"It's like McDonalds, when they bring back their McRib for a limited time," he said. "We can do that, too."

Several machines churn out the ice cream at the Kings' home. Whole milk, cream, fresh fruit ... everything that’s expected in a homemade ice cream.

Whether Cold as Ice Kreamery becomes a full-time job for the Kings is one of those dreams Lee King thinks about.

"You can't ever tell," Mary King said, while her husband said he would "love" for it to happen.

While they got started in August and now winter approaches, they'll be testing out the theory that winter ice cream is the best ice cream to have.

"We probably should have started earlier with it, but that's OK, we'll be ready for spring," Lee King said.

As for making people feel happier and better, the Kings also leave an important message on the bottom of each ice cream cup.

"We take the time to hand-write a little Scripture on every one of them," Mary King said. "If you're having a bad day, you could turn the cup over and that could be the verse you needed that day. We've had lots of people who have told us it was just the message they needed. You just never know how many people you're going to touch.

"We want to make people smile, give them some words of encouragement and give them a little bit of Jesus, too."
https://www.djournal.com/news/local/...e3da9c838.html
Honey's Place Celebrates joining Kap and Ribbon Cutting Event in Kosciusko

Quote:
The KAP hosted a Ribbon Cutting on November 1 for Honey's Place at 10 am. Honey’s place is a family-owned restaurant and milkshake shoppe. Located on the on the square in Kosciusko.
https://www.starherald.net/local-con...&e_sort_order=
Yard of the Month: Bank of Kilmichael in Mathiston

PHOTO BY JANE COLLINS Bank of Kilmichael in Mathiston

Quote:
The Maben Home and Garden Club has chosen the Bank of Kilmichael in Mathiston as its Yard of the Month for November. The bank has completed an extensive building program changing the approach to the front of the bank and the interior lobby configuration. In the process it has done an extensive overall landscaping scheme that resulted in an attractive appearance to the whole complex.
https://www.redhillsmsnews.com/commu...&e_sort_order=
Fulton aims to repave long stretch of South Adams St. in spring 2024

Quote:
FULTON - The city of Fulton is putting plans in motion to repave a large portion of its thoroughfare in the spring.
https://www.djournal.com/itawamba/ne...bc855550e.html
Jack's Confirms New Grenada Restaurant

Quote:
A senior marketing official with Jack’s Family Restaurants confirmed last week that the Southern-style fast-food restaurant will be locating in Grenada with an anticipated opening date in the Spring of 2024.

The new state-of-the-art restaurant, which officials said will seat more than 60 guests, will build on the site of the old Church’s Texas Chicken building on Sunset Drive next to McDonald’s. Crews demolished the old building last Wednesday and immediately began preparing the site for the new construction.

Jack’s Chief Marketing Officer Billie Jo Waara provided additional details on the Grenada location last Friday from her office in Homewood, Ala., where it all began for the restaurant chain more than six decades ago.

“It will be what we call a Southern Charm design” she said. “It features an indoor, casual dining area with a fireplace, a window where you can see our biscuit makers at work and then it has an outdoor setting as well with a porch and some rocking chairs. It’s a very comfortable and very Southern-inspired design.”

The restaurant will also feature a drive-thru and adequate parking for dine-in customers.

Matthew Harrison, CEO of the Greater Grenada Partnership, believes the new restaurant compliments the industrial growth surge the county is experiencing.

“Bringing Jack’s Family Restaurants to Grenada marks another significant step towards community enrichment,” he said. “We are excited to work together with all of the various partners for a brighter, more prosperous greater Grenada.”

Waara added that the construction timeline could vary depending on several factors including weather.

“There’s a lot of steps and a lot of processes and approvals that we need to get as we walk through each stage, so that is our tentative timeline,” she said. “We don’t have anything confirmed yet.”

With a Spring 2024 target date for opening, Waara said Grenada’s Jack’s will employ between 45-60 individuals. The company will open its 30th Mississippi location in Ellisville later this month.

“Jack’s has more than 240 restaurants and we typically grow 20-25 restaurants a year,” Waara said. “This one in Grenada is definitely part of our pipeline as we look at the first half of next year.”

Harrison views Jack’s as another piece to Grenada’s growth puzzle.

“A new restaurant isn’t just about food; it’s a recipe for community growth, job opportunities and a richer local experience,” he said.

Besides Alabama and Mississippi, Jack’s also has restaurants in Georgia and Tennessee. The first Jack’s opened in Homewood, Ala., and was initially a walk-up “hamburger joint,” which also offered 10-cent sodas, 15-cent fries and 20-cent shakes.

“We’re excited about coming into the community and being part of this great town,” Waara concluded.

Jack’s now serves breakfast, lunch and dinner to hungry customers. Favorites include the Breakfast Deluxe and Breakfast Special, biscuits and gravy, made-from-scratch buttermilk biscuits with numerous meat options, a variety of hamburgers and chicken sandwiches, chicken fingers with a wide selection of dipping sauces, seasoned crinkle-cut fries, mashed potatoes and gravy, fried pies, ice cream, shakes and much more.
https://www.grenadastar.com/jacks-co...&e_sort_order=

Last edited by vetteking; Nov 25, 2023 at 11:06 AM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2023, 4:18 PM

Hampton Inn Fondren | Jackson, MS

Quote:
Use Type: Mixed Use Development
Rooms: 111
Features: Meeting Room, Laundry Area, Fitness Center
https://wealthhg.com/property/hampto...en-jackson-ms/
Holiday Inn Express & Suites | Ridgeland, MS

Quote:
Rooms: 108
Features: Outdoor, Meeting Room, Laundry Area, Fitness Center
Total SF: 74,043
Stories: 4
Acreage: 2.95
https://wealthhg.com/property/holida...-ridgeland-ms/
Tru | Ridgeland, MS

Quote:
Rooms: 98
Features: Fitness Center
Total SF: 44,765
Stories: 4
Acreage: 2
https://wealthhg.com/property/tru-ridgeland-ms/

Old Posted Nov 25, 2023, 11:05 AM

$12M housing development on tap for Jackson’s Midtown community

Quote:
JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) - Construction on a $12 million housing development in Midtown could get underway by the end of the year, thanks to a recent vote by the Jackson City Council.

On Tuesday, the council voted unanimously to provide Gulf Coast Housing Partnership and Midtown Partners some $850,000 in HOME grants to help cover construction costs.

Mary Elizabeth Evans, with Hope Enterprise Corporation, said the council’s vote was one of the final hurdles that developers needed to get over before work could begin.

“We have all our funds committed, the contractor in place,” she said. “We’re waiting on a few final approvals, and we’ll get started on construction by the end of this year, the beginning of January.”

The project will be located along Noel Street, Bell Street, and Mill Street in the Midtown Community.

Once completed, it will include 13 single-family homes, six townhomes, and two four-plex units.

The single-family and townhouse units will be at least 1,300 square feet and have three bedrooms and two bathrooms. The units in the four-plexes will be 1,100 square feet, with two bedrooms and two baths in each.

Each unit will include washers and dryers, Energy Star refrigerators/freezers, dishwashers, and ceiling fans. Recreational amenities will include a playground and gazebo sitting area, city documents state.

Construction is expected to take approximately 12 months to complete.

“This is a project that we identified in the master plan, the Midtown master plan that was conducted back in 2009, which really focused on infill housing developments in that south area of the neighborhood,” said Midtown Partners Executive Director Kristi Hendrix.

Midtown is a nonprofit that serves a roughly 215-acre neighborhood bordered by West Street to the east, Mill Street to the west, Woodrow Wilson Avenue to the north, and Fortification Street to the south, its website (https://www.midtownpartners.org/work/#about) states.

Hendrix told the council her agency had been working on the project for years, including with the city to acquire and tear down dilapidated properties to make way for it.

“We participated with the city [in] the Blight Elimination Program, and we did a little over $100,000 worth of acquisition, demolition, in getting this project ready,” she said. “We have worked very closely with the churches, and they’re excited to see this development, as [are] our senior citizens who live in that area.”

Some council members asked whether the development would displace any existing residents, and about Midtown’s plans to reduce crime.

Hendrix said tearing down the dilapidated structures has helped address some crime. She said the additional influx of people brought about by the new homes also should help.

“Once we’re able to put this housing in, we’ll have more eyes on the streets, more active residents in that area... It’s going to help deter crime and address some of the issues that we’ve been discussing.”

According to the Housing of Urban Development’s website, the HOME Investment Partnerships Program provides grants “exclusively to create affordable housing for low-income households.”

The grants (https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/...ns%20%28PJs%29.) are awarded annually. States and cities can administer the funds through grants, loans, loan guarantees, or other credit enhancements.
https://www.wlbt.com/2023/11/24/12m-...own-community/

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 1:31 PM

Donation by Kyrie Irving to help expand Jackson sports complex

The NBA star has already donated for the addition of a new basketball court.

Quote:
JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) - A Jackson sports complex is expanding in 2024 - and that’s with help from some famous celebrities.

According to the founder of The Ark, Dallas Mavericks’ point guard Kyrie Irving has donated to add an additional basketball court to the facility.

The donation has already hit their account and the court has been purchased and will be complete by January 2024.

The Ark founder Ronnie Crudup Jr. says the generous donation is something that will only inspire Jackson children to work hard for their goals.

“For someone of that magnitude, Kyrie Irving, he’s one of the top players in the NBA. For him to send us some resources [for this] court, I think people see that, You know what, something that we do here, it does matter.”

“It’s major,” added coach Charles Lewis. “And hopefully this inspires kids to know that somebody’s watching you. A lot of times kids are thinking, You know, I’m not being recruited. I’m not being looked at. But yeah, somebody’s watching. So I hope that it makes them excited.”
https://www.wlbt.com/2023/11/28/dona...ports-complex/

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 1:41 PM

WOW, what awesome news. That's major for Jackson youth. Thank you, Kyrie Irving, for investing in our youth. This blessing will not go unnoticed. I hope God blesses you & your family! Just amazing!!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 1:50 PM
The Vomit Bag.

One man 'labour of love'. Thanks for all the updates.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
One man 'labour of love'. Thanks for all the updates.
I agree that just shows he has a heart of gold. Amazing human being god bless him!!

No problem, thank you for viewing. Hopefully you can visit us one day.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 2:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Closest I got to Mississippi was Honey Island Swamp tours, to the east of Slidell, Louisiana, back in 2003.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations