HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 4:42 PM

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 4:50 PM

I love touch of asymmetry and totally dangerous simplicity of the entrance!

I really don’t know show it didn’t make that above-mentioned list:
“The most anticipated buildings set to shape the world in 2020”

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I love touch of asymmetry and totally dangerous simplicity of the entrance!
It appears to be "adaptive reuse" of the original shitty entrance stair and concrete/steel structure: In contrast they've demoed everything brick on the building, including the third floor and rear extension.

One of the many disappointing choices though is the building orientation. Since it's mostly new construction, they could have had free reign here. The vacant grassy lot to the side is part of the parcel, and available for development. But they seem to have chosen instead to build the new structure all the way back to Clement Way, and keep that area for a surface parking lot. Having full frontage on Liberty with parking in the rear would have looked so, so much better. Not to mention the rear unit with the panoramic view of the electrical transformer station probably won't sell that well.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It appears to be "adaptive reuse" of the original shitty entrance stair and concrete/steel structure[/URL]: In contrast they've demoed everything brick on the building, including the third floor and rear extension.
Well, then I guess we should give them credit for at least preserving the notable architectural features of the original structure.

Quote:
One of the many disappointing choices though is the building orientation. Since it's mostly new construction, they could have had free reign here. The vacant grassy lot to the side is part of the parcel, and available for development. But they seem to have chosen instead to build the new structure all the way back to Clement Way, and keep that area for a surface parking lot. Having full frontage on Liberty with parking in the rear would have looked so, so much better. Not to mention the rear unit with the panoramic view of the electrical transformer station probably won't sell that well.
Substation transformer hum at night is so soothing though.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 5:15 PM

Sources: International automotive technology firm picks office location in the Strip

Things like this are why I'm high on Pittsburgh long-term. Yeah the latest BLS and demographic data has been disappointing, but the growing tech ecosystem in Pittsburgh can drive growth once some of the other factors working against Pittsburgh (aging, non-diverse demographics) taper off. Pittsburgh really seems to be on the leading edge of self-driving tech after Silicon Valley and Detroit, obviously.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 5:23 PM
World Class City

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahhahahha!!! Wow! Really??!!!

Quote:
i just saw a listing for the new condo unit at 3807 liberty avenue.

Holy shit is the proposed building ugly:

amusingly neither of the background buildings exists at all, so the context of the shot is totally fake.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Edge View Post
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahhahahha!!! Wow! Really??!!!
Keep in mind this is the building where they recently said in the press that demand for larger, more luxurious units was so high they were likely going to reduce their original unit count approved by zoning.

Which is now honestly reading more as they're desperate to sell units of any size, because there's no way this building screams "luxury."

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 6:43 PM

A simple "industrial loft" conversion of that building would seem easier and more pleasing.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 6:51 PM

Wait...that building is supposed to be residential?!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 7:02 PM

More cool neighborhoody stuff going on in Sharpsburg. Second Harvest thrift shop moving into vacant photo lab building on Clay St. (one block off of Main St.). I remain pretty high on Sharpsburg.

Second Harvest discount shop aims to be so much more to Sharpsburg

https://foxchapel.triblive.com/secon...to-sharpsburg/

https://www.post-gazette.com/local/n...s/201912130026

Quote:
Renovations will get underway soon with an opening targeted for August 2020.

A local thrift store, she said, will be able to provide needy residents with food, clothing and social services such as help finding housing. Sharpsburg, she pointed out, has a poverty rate of 13%.

Mayor Matt Rudzki talked about the impact Second Harvest will have on the neighborhood where he grew up. “Sharpsburg’s transformation is going faster than we thought,” he said, meaning the work that community members have put in as part of the TriBoro EcoDistrict plan developed by evolveEA and including its neighbors in Etna and Millvale.

“We were left with this gaping hole when St. Vincent de Paul closed. Many of those who always lived there relied on them for clothing, housewares and furniture,” he said. “Now a new generation of Sharpsburgers are joining with those who have always lived here to add another piece to the puzzle of our changing community.”
Sharpsburg's Main St. corridor is surprisingly active on the redevelopment front. With the Triboro Ecodistrict evolving and planned Riverfront 47 stuff, things are looking up in this rundown mill town. In the past 3 years off the top of my head:

-Deep Local offices
-Moore MMA
-Hitchhiker Brewing Tap Room and production facility
-Dancing Gnome Brewing Tap Room and production facility
-Dragon Palace restaturant
-Gino Brothers Pizza Bar
-Sugar Spell Scoops Vegan Ice Cream
-Roots of Faith Community Center
-PGH Pepperoni Rolls
-Ketchup City Creative
-Zynka Gallery (plus 2 adjacent buildings & 2 renovated apartments)
-4Four6 Distillery
-Sharpsburg Sustainability & Civic Engagement Center
-Sara's Plants & Pets
-Pittsburgh Winery Tasting Room
-Redhawk Coffee & Roastery
-Blackheart Aristocracy Tattoo
-Restaturant (to be named) moving into Cafe on Main space (Cafe on Main moving down street into former Guyasuta Printing space)
-Bar (to be named) moving into former Pug's Tavern space

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 9:00 PM

Anyone have any renderings of either project coming to Polish Hill? I'm curious as to what the mid-rise apartment building near FedEx along Sassafras Way and the townhouse community on the Donnie's Place Bar site within the Herron Avenue "S"-curve are going to look like. Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
A simple "industrial loft" conversion of that building would seem easier and more pleasing.
Unfortunately besides the concrete/steel frame part of the first two stories, the building is literally just a pile of rubble now. I'll try and take a picture on the way home.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately besides the concrete/steel frame part of the first two stories, the building is literally just a pile of rubble now. I'll try and take a picture on the way home.
OK, probably less easy now.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 8:39 PM

First Planning Commission presentation of the year up. Three projects for next week:

1. New signage for Heinz Field. Not really all that much to say here. I guess I don't hate it, but hopefully I'll never be close enough to Heinz Field to check it out in person any time soon.

2. Exterior renovations for 300 S Craig Street. This is the weird infill building set back a bit from the street. The new tenant, Fuku Tea, plans to activate this space more with additional outdoors seatin, along with a new planter and shaded area. This will help make this gap in the street wall fell a bit less stark.

3. Finally, Oxford is putting in for another new construction project - the Stacks Garage for 3 Crossings Phase 2. This is a five-story, 604 space garage which will also include bicycle parking and 11,000 feet of ground-floor retail at the corner of Smallman and 28th. As garages go, it's a pretty nice design...but it's still a garage.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 4:59 PM

Interesting article on the ever-growing, and very profitable, house-flipping business in Pittsburgh:

https://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsbu...t?oid=16524491

Lots of concern about gentrification and displacement of lower income renters, but this is what happens when you are not building enough new apartments, condos, townhouses, and such to serve growing higher-income demand. Attention turns to modernizing modest houses in order to make up that undersupply, and here we are.

Of course many people will still insist that fighting gentrification in the form of new units is critical, and so we will likely just see a lot more of this indefinitely.

Last edited by BrianTH; Jan 11, 2020 at 6:36 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 2:23 PM

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMcKelvin View Post
That's great! As long as they can handle the flooding issue by building up a bit, that is really a prime spot. Close to Downtown, right across the West End Bridge from where a bunch of other stuff is planned, and still a decent amount of historic buildings.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 3:51 PM

Some more information is available about the new project in the former Citizens Bank building in Lawrenceville. Makes it clear how so many different things are to be crammed inside:

Quote:
The brothers are looking to transform the 53-year-old, former bank building at 4112 Butler St. into Lawrenceville Market Place, a retail hub that uses a coworking model. The plans are going through the zoning process now and the Mendelssohns hope to be up and running by mid-2021.

The space will be divided into nine business stations of varying sizes, including one located in the bank vault. Companies can rent a station on a month-to-month basis and customize their section, which will have its own lockable storefront.

A coffee and donut shop, run by the Mendelssohns, will be a permanent fixture and feature outdoor seating. A family-friendly restaurant and bar, planned for the lower level, will offer an array of menu items at accessible price points.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 4:44 PM

https://apps.pittsburghpa.gov/redtai...sentations.pdf

One thing I noted in this is the 23rd and Railroad development happening next to the cork factory. It has an excellent depiction of an extended and improved section of the river front trail. I can't wait to see that happen! It is nice to see that many slides/pages are devoted to what I consider an important part of the design.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
That's great! As long as they can handle the flooding issue by building up a bit, that is really a prime spot. Close to Downtown, right across the West End Bridge from where a bunch of other stuff is planned, and still a decent amount of historic buildings.
I’ve heard a lot about the FEMA flood zone being a preclusion to developing this area, but does anyone remember the last time the West End was underwater? Did it flood during Ivan? It seems like the 51/88/Provost area is the real hotbed of flooding along Saw Mill Run but I can’t recall a time when the actual West End has been underwater. Maybe I just have a bad memory?

Even still; the flood zone deal doesn’t tell the whole story here. Steuben Street is out of the floodplain and it’s full of missing teeth. Elliott/Planet Streets are slowly being returned to nature as only a few houses remain along that right-of-way. And we are talking a 5 min bus ride/10 min bike ride/30 min walk to downtown!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations