HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 11:25 PM
クラブトクヨ

Very nice find!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 4:02 AM

Domain Tower ll switched status from Inactive to Waiting on Legal, I am assuming that is because Oct 25th is the deadline to clear all comments or it’s denied, I assume they can ask for an extension , it was so close to being done, wonder what happened there

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 6:05 PM

Here's an elevation for Broadmoor Block A office: 14-stories, 188'

Here's an elevation for Broadmoor Block A apartments: 12-storires, 131'. They share the parking garage that connects to each building.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/.../191107/PLANS/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 11:49 PM
Meh

Somebody really likes the color yellow.

By the way, I've been thinking. So far I've been content with generically calling this area "The Domain" since most of the high rise and mid rise action has been completely due to The Domain and that area has become its own neighborhood. Now, though, with Broadmoor starting up and this larger area sprawling out a bit, I'm wondering if this area should develop a name that isn't confined to referencing the Domain? That's far from being my neighborhood or my part of town, so I'm wondering if there is any other name someone might be thinking of that would fit better?

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Oct 26, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Somebody really likes the color yellow.

By the way, I've been thinking. So far I've been content with generically calling this area "The Domain" since most of the high rise and mid rise action has been completely due to The Domain and that area has become its own neighborhood. Now, though, with Broadmoor starting up and this larger area sprawling out a bit, I'm wondering if this area should develop a name that isn't confined to referencing the Domain? That's far from being my neighborhood or my part of town, so I'm wondering if there is any other name someone might be thinking of that would fit better?
We could go back to the original name - North Burnet Gateway. I would prefer just North Austin since we have an East Austin and South Austin thread.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 3:19 AM
Meh

I'm only mentioning that because I have folders on my computer for all of these renderings and site plans, and for ease of use/time savers, I have them in folders labeled according to what part of town they're in. So, I have one for The Domain, but Broadmoor isn't really part of the Domain. I feel like that area is part of what will be a larger neighborhood.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 8:40 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Can we just call this uptown and be done with it?
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 12:46 PM

It is officially North Burnet / Gateway. It has its own zoning regulations under that name. How much more official do you want?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 6:16 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
It is officially North Burnet / Gateway. It has its own zoning regulations under that name. How much more official do you want?
Because nobody in the real world calls it that.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Because nobody in the real world calls it that.
<raises hand>

This is also my annual suggestion to split North Austin and NBG.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
<raises hand>

This is also my annual suggestion to split North Austin and NBG.
That would work. We could also have a general North Austin thread, and separate threads for both The Domain and Broadmoor.

I personally don't care how we do it. But we never come to a consensus whenever we do this annual exercise, so nothing changes. My only interest in this is how can we best track significant developments? We split out major projects in West Campus to make them easier to track for example while still maintaining a separate West Campus thread. But we have never done that with the bigger Domain or Broadmoor projects.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
That would work. We could also have a general North Austin thread, and separate threads for both The Domain and Broadmoor.

I personally don't care how we do it. But we never come to a consensus whenever we do this annual exercise, so nothing changes. My only interest in this is how can we best track significant developments? We split out major projects in West Campus to make them easier to track for example while still maintaining a separate West Campus thread. But we have never done that with the bigger Domain or Broadmoor projects.
Separating Domain and Broadmoor makes the most logical sense to me, just based on the sheer amount of development underway and planned for each.

Other developments could probably be lumped into a broader "North Austin" or maybe even Northwest & Northeast, kind of like how the Community Impact newsletters do, unless they are considered a signature development worthy of their own thread. Arena Tower if/when, would be very close in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents.
I greatly appreciate the mods efforts in keeping things orderly and insightful around here. It's a wealth of knowledge and news.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 3:36 AM

Leave it as is.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 3:44 AM

I'd like the North Austin / Domain / Broadmoor approach. Three separate threads.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 3:57 AM

We already have threads for Mueller, Highland/Airport, and North Lamar, so we don’t need a broadly defined North Austin thread.

I would support a separate Broadmoor thread, a Domain thread, and a North Burnet thread for anything not contained in the two. But here’s the thing: this thread will slow down significantly if it is only Domain, and these areas are so intertwined that I just don’t think it’s worth separating the conversation between three different threads. Further, a lot of the convo in each thread will be duplicative.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 5:01 AM
Meh

This thread has over 1,600 posts. Sorting and moving the posts to create separate threads would be a task.

I was just seeking a consensus on what the area has historically been called. We could still have one single thread even with the Domain and Broadmoor together. Downtown is one larger area, but I consider there to be individual neighborhoods within downtown.

The Domain and Broadmoor feel less like neighborhoods and more like developments. I suppose that may change over time, but I dislike that there is a physical disconnect from their surroundings and a sense that they are some kind of an entity unto themselves that seeks to stay that way.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:30 PM

Here is a picture from the 5th floor of parking garage that IBM and Indeed share. Three big groves of trees and the trees that lined the street entrance to IBM have been cleared out.

The dirt pile on the left is Bowen and on the right is Domain Tower II. They are working quickly to get this prepped for the next stage. Its a war zone over here with all the utilities going in for all the big changes for South End Domain.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 5:45 PM

Driving south on Mopac noticed a big VRBO sign being installed on top of their tower.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Driving south on Mopac noticed a big VRBO sign being installed on top of their tower.
Yep, Expedia Group Vrbo. They also changed the sign on the Homeaway building.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 2:40 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

It's horrible they cleared those trees. They should have moved and replanted them. Disgusting!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin