HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 1:24 AM
Peddling to progress

Totally not surprised by the result. But I am curious where the road space for future active transportation lanes will come from when the corridor has thousands of additional residents and jobs...

[QUOTE=chowhou;9906428]Obligatory DailyHive article for your light reading pleasureQUOTE]

I wonder what Kenneth's position will be???

He managed to include a pic of the only four blocks of AAA infrastructure in the entire corridor, and he also chose a pic of Orchard Road to illustrate the benefits of wider sidewalks instead of countless examples where bikes and pedestrians are thriving side-by-side.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 4:09 AM

Boo on still reducing lanes (at least we will get left-turn lanes), but a huge MU-HA-HA-HAA on no bikelane. Reddit is on meltdown right now.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
But cars don't have a highways across the middle of town
- that project was stopped in the early 1970s.
Nah, don't bother with your logic and reasoning. When fools on Reddit start hyperventilating, all common sense goes out the door. I love all the people currently cutting their wrists, as so many people along Broadway "will now have to live in constant smoke and noise" after this apocalyptic vote. One has to wonder how these fools have yet to figure out that by the time Broadway is developed in any meaningful way, half of car traffic has either gone electric or switched to flying! There's just no logic with these folks.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 5:24 AM

Make Broadway a bus-only street: problem solved. /s

As for flying cars, no. Period. The landlubber drivers are dubious enough as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
... and he also chose a pic of Orchard Road to illustrate the benefits of wider sidewalks...
I feel somewhat violated. If it weren't for this thread, Ken probably wouldn't even know Orchard Road existed.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Boo on still reducing lanes (at least we will get left-turn lanes), but a huge MU-HA-HA-HAA on no bikelane. Reddit is on meltdown right now.
You really don't get it. This way they widen the sidewalks and reduce the road by two lanes. Then in a few years, they build the bike lanes, but leave the wider sidewalks. Obviously the buses will still be important and have priority, and delivery and service vehicles will be allowed. But cars? (Especially as they still cause health issues, even when they're electric powered, although regenerative braking helps somewhat).

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 5:47 AM
Hello World

Quote:
Totally not surprised by the result. But I am curious where the road space for future active transportation lanes will come from when the corridor has thousands of additional residents and jobs...

I wonder what Kenneth's position will be???

He managed to include a pic of the only four blocks of AAA infrastructure in the entire corridor, and he also chose a pic of Orchard Road to illustrate the benefits of wider sidewalks instead of countless examples where bikes and pedestrians are thriving side-by-side.
Very short sighted given that Broadway is currently under construction due to the SkyTrain extension. Now is the perfect time to future-proof this important road for the next 50 years by thinking ahead. Now we might end up having to re-build the road again in like 5 to 10 years to include the bike lanes at a much higher cost to both tax payers and the surrounding businesses.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
It seems to be economical for Clients like mine that have owned the land for quite a while and are not buying at inflated re-sale prices. I'd just let them know to apply with an enquiry immediately to get in the queue otherwise they are SOL.
I also have clients in the area. I’m a realtor and my clients are listing to sell so they don’t need to inquire to the city as the developer purchasing our listings will be doing that work. Some of my clients have owned the properties for decades but still it is hard to find pricing for detached home land assemblies in the broadway plan. Say something outside of west broadway itself like W 2nd to W 6th in the Kits North area. Can’t seem to figure out what the sold $/BSF would be exactly as most comparable are multiple family apartment buildings with established cashflow which add to their value. Are rental towers actually economical for developers given the floor plate restrictions and tenant relocation requirements?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 3:19 PM

Quote:
It might be helpful to pair Vancouver's roundabouts with speed bumps or raised crosswalks. I have almost been hit by both car and bikes while driving, walking, and biking through them.
I noticed that while in Mexico recently. There's very little in the way of lights or crosswalks, but a massive speed bump basically allows people to cross safely because drivers are forced to slow down a lot.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Probably the multi-billion dollar tunnel currently being built. Broadway will go from 4-6 lanes of traffic to the equivalent of like 20.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 4:01 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Boo on still reducing lanes
Quote:
Nah, don't bother with your logic and reasoning.
Here's some logic and reasoning: during city staff's presentation there was a slide that clearly showed traffic volumes on Broadway before construction started exceeded the capacity of a four-lane road for less than one hour per day. For the majority of the day, Broadway needs something like 1.5 lanes in each direction. Once the subway opens up and a number of busses and private vehicles are taken off the road, there will be absolutely no need for three lanes of traffic. That fact was never up for debate.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permanentmagnetman View Post
I also have clients in the area. I’m a realtor and my clients are listing to sell so they don’t need to inquire to the city as the developer purchasing our listings will be doing that work. Some of my clients have owned the properties for decades but still it is hard to find pricing for detached home land assemblies in the broadway plan. Say something outside of west broadway itself like W 2nd to W 6th in the Kits North area. Can’t seem to figure out what the sold $/BSF would be exactly as most comparable are multiple family apartment buildings with established cashflow which add to their value. Are rental towers actually economical for developers given the floor plate restrictions and tenant relocation requirements?
Rental towers in the Plan area are economical for us. We are not assembling any of our projects sites for buying new.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
Does anyone know if an ABC councillor has broken ranks on any votes yet?
You won't see them vote contrary to the rest of the party. If an ABC councillor wants to vote differently, they'll just mysteriously not be available to vote.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
You won't see them vote contrary to the rest of the party. If an ABC councillor wants to vote differently, they'll just mysteriously not be available to vote.
"Apologies for missing the meeting but my dog ate my vote."

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
"Apologies for missing the meeting but my dog ate my vote."
"ABC Vancouver councillors Sarah Kirby-Yung and Rebecca Bligh were on city business and absent for the vote."

Old Posted Mar 31, 2023, 5:35 PM

Also from that article:

"Unfortunately, we do not live in La-la land where we have unlimited resources, and so we do have to prioritize.” - The Mayor

The Province literally reached out and said we can give you millions for this. Apparently TransLink and the Province were not contacted by Staff about bike lanes if I heard right?

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 3:28 AM

All enquiry projects that applied have received responses. Those enquiries will be getting their Rezonings in as early as this Summer.

Hello thousands of new rentals.

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 4:21 AM

And I'm seeing more and more strata wind up for sale signs in Mt Pleasant, some for buildings that look very well maintained.

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
All enquiry projects that applied have received responses. Those enquiries will be getting their Rezonings in as early as this Summer.

Hello thousands of new rentals.
Best news in a long time. Great to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
And I'm seeing more and more strata wind up for sale signs in Mt Pleasant, some for buildings that look very well maintained.
Sorry for being naive on all this, but could I ask you to explain what this indicates? What trends and tendencies can be extrapolated from this? Thanks a lot.

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Sorry for being naive on all this, but could I ask you to explain what this indicates? What trends and tendencies can be extrapolated from this? Thanks a lot.
Mainly just that it's looking like the Broadway Plan will have the 1970s 3/4 storey buildings coming down faster than 1950s houses along Cambie did. I wasn't trying to make some deep coded message.

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
Mainly just that it's looking like the Broadway Plan will have the 1970s 3/4 storey buildings coming down faster than 1950s houses along Cambie did. I wasn't trying to make some deep coded message.
Now I get it, thank you. I hope that what replaces all that along Broadway will have a sleek feeling to it, maybe a bit like Wilshire Blvd in Los Angeles, (though that's hoping for a bit too much, I know)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues