HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 8:40 PM
BANNED

Broadway Corridor Development Plan & Project Updates

On June 20th, 2018, in preparation for the Broadway skytrain that is estimated to be completed in 2025 Vancouver City Council began the official planning process for the Broadway Corridor so that densification could occur around the skytrain stations. The Broadway Corridor will have skytrain stations down Broadway to Arbutus (possibly all the way to UBC) and currently contains about 10% as many jobs as downtown Vancouver. The photo below helps give some insight into the stations and the zones of density that may appear around them.

With this, the city implemented the Interim Rezoning Policy. The Interim Policy froze much of the development along Broadway during the planning process.

Read it here https://vancouver.ca/files/cov/broad...plications.pdf

They also implemented the "development contribution expectation policy" which hints at the sqft costs for development along Broadway in the future.

Read it here https://vancouver.ca/files/cov/devel...y-planning.pdf

For the next 2.5 years the city will begin planning for development along the Broadway corridor with the plan to be presented to city council in late 2020.

Project timeline is here https://vancouver.ca/home-property-d...dway-plan.aspx

The planning process is supposed to be guided by the terms of reference here https://vancouver.ca/home-property-d...dway-plan.aspx

Read the full report presented to the city here https://council.vancouver.ca/2018062...ents/pspc3.pdf

The Broadway Corridor will likely be the most significant densification since Downtown Vancouver.

The Metro Core Jobs and Economy Study identified many areas along the corridor for increased commercial density. The below image shows this and the current zoning for the corridor.

The plan's study area will be as below

In Early 2019 there will be public consultation. Hope you can all come and cheer for density!

Area Profile:
Part 1https://vancouver.ca/files/cov/broad...ile-part-1.pdf
Part 2 https://vancouver.ca/files/cov/broad...ile-part-2.pdf

Public Consultation has begun.

Update: Nov 14th 2018 new council approved city wide plan to be carried out. They agreed that the Broadway plan would still go ahead at the same time.

Update: Found this case study analysis for Broadway "Land Values and Transit Investment" https://sustain.ubc.ca/sites/sustain...dor_Harlos.pdf

Update: CoV voted to purchase extension to UBC with the requirement that redevelopment be based on the upcoming city plan rather then necessitated by transit (I think thats what they said, I may have to edit this).

Update: Area Profile Links

Last edited by misher; Mar 8, 2019 at 12:16 AM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 9:02 PM

I find it odd that they specify the area of Cambie between Broadway and 6th/2nd as "Area identified for increased commercial density...". That specific area has been heavily developed in the last 5-10 years. Sure there are small parcels here and there that could be improved, but compared to the rest of this map, it's a bit weird to continue focusing on it. Unless that's an old plan that has largely been enacted.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I find it odd that they specify the area of Cambie between Broadway and 6th/2nd as "Area identified for increased commercial density...". That specific area has been heavily developed in the last 5-10 years. Sure there are small parcels here and there that could be improved, but compared to the rest of this map, it's a bit weird to continue focusing on it. Unless that's an old plan that has largely been enacted.
Maybe it was spot rezoning only beforehand, and now they want to make it official?

Old Posted Dec 25, 2018, 12:30 AM

Quote:
I would presume that they want to see densification happening in the area directly adjacent to the False Creek (2nd Avenue) Canada Line station. Right now that land is a giant parking lot/abandoned throughway from the seawall to the main Cambie business district, and it abuts to the Cambie Bridge flyover and the old railway tracks. There's a lot of underdeveloped land there with fantastic road and bus and LRT access, and if a decent plan goes in, I could see it becoming an extension of the Cambie hub but with better access to both nature and the city.

A solid plan would also clarify the future for the temporary housing that was recently set up on the west side of the Canada Line station there. Hopefully a plan would involve redeveloping that whole stretch into something decent, but ensuring there was housing included to at least accommodate the same number of people as the temporary spots currently do.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2018, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Yes - that's an earlier plan that's referenced - the Metro Core Jobs & Economy Plan from around 10 years ago. As well as increasing Downtown commercial densities it allowed greater density in that area as rezoning, (and also changed the zoning in the industrial area to allow more office provided industrial space was being built as well). It allowed rezonings at Granville too, but nobody has actually submitted anything, although several schemes were drawn up over the years.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Perhaps the City is finally relenting to allow taller towers with large retail podiums to be built there? One can only hope....

And the City also realized that they need a new MALL at their doorstep.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Perhaps the City is finally relenting to allow taller towers with large retail podiums to be built there? One can only hope....

And the City also realized that they need a new MALL at their doorstep.
From Oak to Granville, beyond.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 11:50 PM
BANNED

There are rumblings that Broadway will see increased shopping with possibly a shopping hub at Cambie.

https://www.vancourier.com/news/futu...cus-1.23572204

Quote:
Rumours have circulated in retail circles about the possibility of a shopping centre being built under city hall and its lawns, which are south of the Canada Line station. The City of Vancouver is allotting $2 million for “master planning for the city hall precinct” in its 2019 budget.
Interestingly enough they say that skytrain locations have yet to be finalized. I believe the current locations pushed by Colliers in their ads are speculation rather than the final plans.

Quote:
B.C.’s Ministry of Transportation told Business in Vancouver that work to determine exact station locations is underway, and the ministry is now initiating discussions with property owners.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 12:36 AM

The "new City Hall" block bounded by Cambie, Broadway, Yukon and 10th Ave. was always intended to be a public interface for City Hall services (presumably like ICBC service centres in malls), so a mall with retail services seems like a reasonable extension of that idea.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The "new City Hall" block bounded by Cambie, Broadway, Yukon and 10th Ave. was always intended to be a public interface for City Hall services (presumably like ICBC service centres in malls), so a mall with retail services seems like a reasonable extension of that idea.
I'm surprised so far there aren't any comments like "what about the underutilised mall next door at City Square?"

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 3:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I'm surprised so far there aren't any comments like "what about the underutilised mall next door at City Square?"
That mall is so weird and inefficiently designed lol. But yes I was wondering too why no one mentioned it.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 5:13 AM

Quote:
If the City Hall complex extends south of 10th Ave. there's potential to create more synergy for a retail area closer to 12th Ave (and City Square).

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
I would presume that they want to see densification happening in the area directly adjacent to the False Creek (2nd Avenue) Canada Line station. Right now that land is a giant parking lot/abandoned throughway from the seawall to the main Cambie business district, and it abuts to the Cambie Bridge flyover and the old railway tracks. There's a lot of underdeveloped land there with fantastic road and bus and LRT access, and if a decent plan goes in, I could see it becoming an extension of the Cambie hub but with better access to both nature and the city.

A solid plan would also clarify the future for the temporary housing that was recently set up on the west side of the Canada Line station there. Hopefully a plan would involve redeveloping that whole stretch into something decent, but ensuring there was housing included to at least accommodate the same number of people as the temporary spots currently do.
Maybe they're reserving that area for an Olympic Village for a potential 2030 Olympic Bid?

Quote:
I have no idea how you would expand that mall, though, it might be a better idea just to build a bigger/taller one elsewhere, and sell off the current mall. Especially since City Square Mall is created from a heritage structure.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
I have no idea how you would expand that mall, though, it might be a better idea just to build a bigger/taller one elsewhere, and sell off the current mall. Especially since City Square Mall is created from a heritage structure.
Expand a mall that should rather be demolished for lack of demand for it?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 6:17 PM

Quote:
If the City Hall complex extends south of 10th Ave. there's potential to create more synergy for a retail area closer to 12th Ave (and City Square).
Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
That mall is so weird and inefficiently designed lol. But yes I was wondering too why no one mentioned it.
As officedweller mentioned, retail synergy may be able to do the trick to revitalize it. Let's hope the City also allows higher residential/commercial density around the neighbourhood as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
I wonder if it can be linked underground to the proposed City Hall complex and eventually the new train station. I don't think City Square should be expanded, but more floors can be added to it. Management just needs to bring it up to date to make it a really nice neighbourhood shopping centre.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 8:59 PM

Quote:
As officedweller mentioned, retail synergy may be able to do the trick to revitalize it. Let's hope the City also allows higher residential/commercial density around the neighbourhood as well.

I wonder if it can be linked underground to the proposed City Hall complex and eventually the new train station. I don't think City Square should be expanded, but more floors can be added to it. Management just needs to bring it up to date to make it a really nice neighbourhood shopping centre.
That's the problem, though, the mall is a heritage structure, more specifically, and old school. They're limited to how much they can 'revitalize' the place, let alone expand it, not to mention it's some distance from Skytrain.

If they really want Broadway to become a shopping destination, it's probably a better idea to move the mall elsewhere, or leave City Square as a smaller satellite mall (like Station Square at Metrotown), and build a new one closer to the actual Skytrain Station.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 11:36 PM

PCI owns the Royal Bank Building on the NE Corner of Granville & Broadway
- that site is ripe for redevelopment too.
(probably soon to be another demolished example of the curvilinear international style (sort of art moderne but later in time)).

https://pci-group.com/PCIprojects/royal-bank-building/

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 12:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
PCI owns the Royal Bank Building on the NE Corner of Granville & Broadway
- that site is ripe for redevelopment too.
(probably soon to be another demolished example of the curvilinear international style (sort of art moderne but later in time)).

https://pci-group.com/PCIprojects/royal-bank-building/
Ah always assumed that was too dense to be worth redeveloping.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 12:23 AM

The floorplate is L-shaped, so it doesn't have full site coverage right now.
Not sure what the current density is versus what might be allowed.
It would be nice open up the ground floor for more retail.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 1:15 AM

City Hall Campus article by the Hive:

The "mall" could just be an underground passage from the NE corner.

Quote:
When asked about the overall City Hall campus expansion potential scope, Danica Djurkovic, the Director of Facilities Planning and Development with the City of Vancouver, was unable to elaborate on any possible retail component but described it as a “mixed-use project that will successfully integrate the Broadway and Cambie transit stations and enhance people movement in this busy intersection.”

She also said a future City Hall campus is expected to include new City Council chambers, public counters and other public spaces, offices, and a significantly improved public realm.

According to the City’s 2018 Corporate Plan, a new City Hall campus would reduce the municipal government’s reliance on leased workspace, as several major departments are currently scattered at neighbouring office buildings such as 515 West 10th Avenue (Licensing and Permitting) and Crossroads at 507 West Broadway (Engineering Services).
http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/broad...-shopping-mall

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues