HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 9:27 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
Wrong again. Heres the post I was talking about:

Nice try, dumbass.
Can you cool down?

Step away from the keyboard. Go have some pancakes with maple syrup. Step outside and chill out in the 50 degree weather. Then come back and be respectful.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 9:38 PM

Speaking of backpeddling...

Im fine though, thanks.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 9:43 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Speaking of backpeddling...

Im fine though, thanks.
I never backpedaled. I added detail so the person I responded to would understand my thought process and not respond in an abusive disgusting way like you have (not saying they would have, just drawing further attention to your behavior).

I’m disengaging now.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I never backpedaled. I added detail so the person I responded to would understand my thought process and not respond in an abusive disgusting way like you have (not saying they would have, just drawing further attention to your behavior).

I’m disengaging now.
Nah. You tried to win an argument on the internet without having your facts together and when that didnt work you tried to save face. Happens to the best of us.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
After I read this, I’m left with the nagging question about where exactly you disagreed with my previous lengthy post on this in this thread?
I wasn’t responding to you specifically. I was just adding to the whole “what to make of Salt Lake” discussion/debate that’s been going on in this thread.

Also, I spend most of my time on SSP in the Mountain West forum where the Salt Lakers have a bit of a chip on their shoulders due to constantly getting dismissed as a metro of one-ish million, so I’m probably mistakenly projecting some of the many past conversations/debates from that forum onto this thread.

So I guess we’re largely in agreement?

The Wasatch Front is a weird place. It has a unique urban form that is very elongated and sparse. It’s in a category of its own.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Nice try dumbass but he said "US cities" not American.
Take it easy.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 12:24 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Agreed. Since returning to LA I've noticed a ton of construction, but almost all of it is between three and seven floors.
I was there last in 2019 and DTLA alone was hopping with new development. Seemed more active than SD or SF.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 2:23 AM

Cleveland: 1

Hold on let me count again to be sure. Yep, 1.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
Data from Emporis on number of 12+ floors buildings under construction in select US cities. Please feel free to update the numbers below if the data on Emporis is inaccurate.

New York City - 299
Toronto - 243
Houston - 81
Miami - 38
Chicago - 34
Panama City, Panama - 27
Detroit - 26
Los Angeles - 25
Atlanta - 21
Seattle - 17 (22 per mhays)
Philadelphia - 17
Jersey City - 16
Boston - 12
Dallas - 12
Bellevue - 11
Boston's is already much too low here, but if you add in its 2 innermost suburbs, Cambridge and Somerville, the number balloons up to 32 according to the SSP Diagrams (which themselves are incomplete).
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=93682815

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 6:59 AM

Another argument that that population growth ≠ high rise growth

Fort Worth is the 2nd fastest growing city in the country and has never built an apartment tower with more than 12 floors, and only has 2 apartment buildings taller than 6 or 7 floor wood-framed buildings. There’s currently a grand total of 2 tower cranes in the city, one is a hospital and another is a garage at a mixed-use project.

There’s only been 3 buildings over 12 floors built in the city in the last decade, 1 office, 1 hotel, and 1 senior living center. The population grew 300k in this time period.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post

Fort Worth is the 2nd fastest growing city in the country and has never built an apartment tower with more than 12 floors, and only has 2 apartment buildings taller than 6 or 7 floor wood-framed buildings. There’s currently a grand total of 2 tower cranes in the city, one is a hospital and another is a garage at a mixed-use project.

There’s only been 3 buildings over 12 floors built in the city in the last decade, 1 office, 1 hotel, and 1 senior living center. The population grew 300k in this time period.
No one really said pop growth equates with high rise growth. It's more a question of land use, available space, and local market preferences. Places like Ft Worth and DFW in general are sprawling metros with apparently limited preference/desirability for high rises. That could change in the future - I certainly would not have expected downtown LA to have a high rise boom during the last 20 years.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post

While it is true that FW has never seen a purpose built stand-alone apartment tower over 12 floors, there are two notable tall apartment structures in downtown Fort Worth. One is the re-purposed 30 story John Portman bank building (originally built for FW National Bank in 1972) that was badly damaged in a tornado in the late 1990s and remodeled as a condo tower in the aftermath. The other tall residential structure is part of a 33 floor mixed use hotel/condo development with an Omni Hotel at the base and a condo tower rising above the hotel. That's pretty much it for true high rise living in FW unless you are a senior, in which case there are a three or four 10 to 12 story complexes on the periphery of downtown FW. There are also a few repurposed pre WW2 high rise office buildings that have either rental units or condos. In spite of the rapid growth of the city, which includes a lot of in-fill residential towards the center of the city, FW is not participating in the residential high rise boom seen in places like Austin or even over in Dallas.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 7:00 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I was there last in 2019 and DTLA alone was hopping with new development. Seemed more active than SD or SF.
I've noticed a ton of housing under construction throughout LA, especially between downtown and Santa Monica, but almost all of it is under this thread's 12-floor threshold. The new residential towers downtown are awesome, and I hope they continue to sprout, but they are anomalous--LA remains an overwhelmingly low-rise city.

As for the list in this thread, I'm still not sure if we're counting only LA proper or the urban area. If the latter, it seems too low.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaharocks View Post
I work in the development industry, and most of my work is in the west. But I'm very familiar with the goings on in Atlanta, and if you were to take the total amount of construction going on intown as the OP alluded - not just high-rises but midrises and all forms of housing, I would guess Atlanta would be in the top handful, alongside Austin and Nashville on a per-capita basis.

Nearly every block in the city of Atlanta (outside the downtown core) has some form of residential construction going on...I don't think it's just boosterism.
Atlanta currently has 36 12+ story buildings U/C. This would definitely make it into the top 10 cities across the country.

EDIT: It also has 10,220 multi-family units under construction. This is only apartments and condos. Does not include the many townhome projects under construction in the city or multi-family units U/C in southside neighborhoods(since the list I used in the Atlanta forum does not include those parts of Atlanta).

Last edited by Ant131531; Jun 27, 2021 at 8:41 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Where are Laval and Repentigny?
LAVAL = 11 UC

Floors - name

20 - Espace Montmorency residential tower
20 - Gest sur Gouin
16 - Espace Montmorency office tower
16 - Quartier Urbain Le James
16 - Apero Teasdale
15 - Central Parc Laval phase 3
15 - Marquise Rubis 1
15 - Marquise Rubis 2
15 - Soléa condo
13 - Market condo
12 - Urbania Haus

REPENTIGNY = 2 UC

30 - Sélection
30 - Manoir Repentigny

BROSSARD = 12 UC (and not 15 like previously stated - 3 from my list were actually done)

28 - Nobel condominium
23 - Magellan condos 1
18 - Oria 1
15 - Magellan condos 2
15 - Alter Ego sur le fleuve 1
15 - Alter Ego sur le fleuve 2
14 - Brossard complex 1
13 - Éolia appartements
13 - 2000, rue de l'Éclipse
13 - Oria 2
12 - Mellem
12 - Brossard complex 2

Montreal = 51
Montreal suburbs = 25

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 2:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
No matter how much Torontonians wish they were in the us theyr are still in Canada last I checked.
I've referred to Toronto's American obsession a gazillion times on SSP, but I don't actually think any of this is related to a desire to be *part* of the US.

For the people I have in mind, it's more an idea that they're building a better America, or a better American city. Outside the US.

All of the good stuff about the US, minus all of the bad stuff.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 3:13 PM
The Vomit Bag.

very few Torontonians would rather that their city was in the United States. Instead of being the supreme city of a major country, it would likely have been a also-ran great lakes city of a Buffalo or Rochester -level significance.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
very few Torontonians would rather that their city was in the United States. Instead of being the supreme city of a major country, it would likely have been a also-ran great lakes city of a Buffalo or Rochester -level significance.
Ouch! That hurt..... Yes Buffalo did dream of being a bigger city but pick the poison that did it in.... Nevertheless, Hooray for Toronto! strangely enough Buffalo does root for and benefit from its growth.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 9:47 PM

Toronto gave the world the proto-Trump and proto-Trumpism in former Rob Ford and Ford Nation. It's basically a US city.

Btw, it's funny how it's only one guy in this thread who is getting all upset and attacking and insulting anyone who doesn't agree with him or dares to point out his mistakes. There's only one "snowflake" in here as far as I can tell. There's only one sore loser who can't accept when he's wrong, very much like Trump.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 10:02 PM

Laval's zoning map.
https://ehq-production-canada.imgix....?auto=compress
https://www.repensonslaval.ca/schema/photos/5395

You won't see any towers in low density residential neighborhoods.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions