HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post

I feel like we've probably mentioned this one, but I don't remember what it is. It's very nice whatever it is.

Thanks for the photo update. The population growth figures at the end of the decade for downtown and Midtown are going to stun some folks.

After you mentioned it I had to think for a sec, this is the new Woodbridge project, right? Haha right the weather really has gone schizo the fall was so consistently warm even the leaves stopped changing half way through back in October. Today the weather is gonna be pushing 50 and sunny but by the time xmas rolls around ...

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Sacramento is likely getting the other one. There are number of factors for the next round, chief among them Miami's inability to agree upon a location for/build a stadium (although it seems like they've made progress recently).

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 7:05 PM

^ It was surprising to say the least after going through everything that Gilbert and Co. went through to get the county into a position where it was willing to cede the Gratiot jail site to them to abruptly change their plans for the 2020 bid. It's puzzling why when a soccer specific stadium was one of the top criteria that they would change their plans at the last minute.

Feasibility may be one issue it's possible that with 4 major projects on their plate at the moment and the county dragging its feet before the election with the land swap costs to finish or the ability to complete by 2020 would be an issue. The proposal calls for a new Soccer specific stadium to be built with games to be played at Ford Field until then, I've heard talk about the Gratiot site being a blank slate now as as the media speculates to the motives. The confusing situation may have come about because of the phrasing and Gilberts "in it to win it" attitude in an attempt not to drop out of the 2020 race while truly staking their bets on 2022 but at the same time saving some face after hype and high hopes from fans.

I base a little of my speculation on the new video renderings for "hudsons" as Bedrock is tentatively calling its new 800ft tower still includes the Gratiot site developed as a Soccer centered project at the 2:18 mark although that in itself means little the way things were done just don't feel right it was a very half-assed end to a what had been an exciting bid. There could be some big news coming that we are ignorant of or an attempt is being made with the Gratiot site to make some bigger news than a new MLS franchise I suppose i'll reserve judgement until I see what if any change there is to the 2022 bid, if Detroit loses this bid which seems likely at this point.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta_Love View Post
^ It was surprising to say the least after going through everything that Gilbert and Co. went through to get the county into a position where it was willing to cede the Gratiot jail site to them to abruptly change their plans for the 2020 bid. It's puzzling why when a soccer specific stadium was one of the top criteria that they would change their plans at the last minute.

Feasibility may be one issue it's possible that with 4 major projects on their plate at the moment and the county dragging its feet before the election with the land swap costs to finish or the ability to complete by 2020 would be an issue. The proposal calls for a new Soccer specific stadium to be built with games to be played at Ford Field until then, I've heard talk about the Gratiot site being a blank slate now as as the media speculates to the motives. The confusing situation may have come about because of the phrasing and Gilberts "in it to win it" attitude in an attempt not to drop out of the 2020 race while truly staking their bets on 2022 but at the same time saving some face after hype and high hopes from fans.

I base a little of my speculation on the new video renderings for "hudsons" as Bedrock is tentatively calling its new 800ft tower still includes the Gratiot site developed as a Soccer centered project at the 2:18 mark although that in itself means little the way things were done just don't feel right it was a very half-assed end to a what had been an exciting bid. There could be some big news coming that we are ignorant of or an attempt is being made with the Gratiot site to make some bigger news than a new MLS franchise I suppose i'll reserve judgement until I see what if any change there is to the 2022 bid, if Detroit loses this bid which seems likely at this point.
Detroit was far from a lock to begin with, in all honesty. Sacramento has been around for a while and was supposed to be priority no. 1 for MLS in this round. The fact that anyone but Sacramento is being announced first would have been a shock a year ago. Nashville has the stadium plan ready to go and has been the other favorite for months. As much as I hate to say it, Detroit's best bet was always likely the next round of bids .

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
****lengthy update ahead****

Observed but not photographed recently:
  • The Eddystone renovations are underway
  • The American Hotel is fenced off and I've noticed some lights on in the upper floors
  • Former St. Charles school is being renovated into apartments in English Village
  • James Burgess Book mansion is being restored in Indian Village
  • Fifth Third Bank signage has been installed at the top of One Woodward
  • Renovations are occurring at the Free Press Building
  • Renovations are underway at the former Savoyard Center/State Savings Bank building

Thank you for this extensive update! Great work! The Vinton Building is sumptuous Love that entrance and the exterior lighting!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 5:43 AM

I'm glad you all enjoyed my update! I can try to do these updates more often as I shoot photos pretty regularly around the metro. Would you guys be interested in updates from Royal Oak, Pontiac, Ferndale, Mount Clemens, etc? I might make a post with some decent projects I've noticed there. I believe some have been posted before.

I had some time today to shoot some photos. Here's four projects with little to no mention on these pages.

565 E. Larned, a vacant '80s office building undergoing renovations

IHOP/Applebee's in the Courtyard hotel on Jefferson

James Scott mansion

5734 Woodward

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 6:18 AM

Some of your photos don't seem to be working.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
What are the captions near the photos? They all load for me on the thread and loaded for me when I previewed the replies.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 8:35 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta_Love View Post
After you mentioned it I had to think for a sec, this is the new Woodbridge project, right?
Nope, this is the other side of Midtown (Ferry and I-75); Woodbridge has been completed for awhile, now. I don't recall what this is supposed to be, though.

Anyway, something bigger than expected is coming to the former Big Boy site near the Belle Isle bridge:

Quote:

Max Ortiz | The Detroit News

$50M mixed-use development planned near Belle Isle

By Candice Williams | The Detroit News

December 19, 2017

Detroit — A developer has announced plans to build a $50 million mixed-use development on the site of the former Big Boy restaurant on East Jefferson.

The Platform says demolition of the restaurant at 7033 E. Jefferson will begin Wednesday to make way for the eight- to 10-story retail and residential development.

The site sits in the Islandview neighborhood at the foot of Belle Isle Park across the street from the Douglas MacArthur Bridge entrance.

The project will have 11,000 square feet of ground-floor retail and on-site parking. A mix of studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom options will make up 240 apartments. Twenty percent will be set aside for affordable housing.
Still very early in the planning stages, they hope to have it started by this time next year.

Last edited by LMich; Dec 20, 2017 at 9:41 AM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 7:08 PM

We got details of Detroit's Amazon bid the central focus is the Detroit-Windsor Riverfront as an international campus with current Gilbert owned buildings providing space for Amazon employees during phase 1. For phase 2 the hudsons and monroe sites are offered here's where things get interesting for phase 3 and beyond in downtown Detroit the gratiot jail site and District Detroit space are offered. A main central campus dubbed rivereast would sit to the east of the Ren Cen, while a redone surface grade "avenue style" I-375 isn't pictured a south of Jefferson surface road extension but would be the center of rivereast.

Details of the tax proposals are out too there a transit component that includes a proposal to extend the Qline up to 8 mile however it is unfunded as of now. The expanded limited stop bus service expansion along Grand River and Michigan are given as examples of the start of a push for improved transit.

There was too much on the tax proposal to post however.

Quote:
Amazon HQ2 bid revealed: tax breaks, $120 million talent program, transit vision

By CHAD LIVENGOOD
Crain's Detroit Business
December 20, 2017

-Snyder administration to launch $120 million initiative to meet talent needs of tech companies.
-Bid for Amazon redacts total value of tax credits and incentives.
-Gilbert offers Amazon space in One Campus Martius and Chase buildings.

The state of Michigan offered to let Amazon.com Inc. operate in Detroit with extensive tax breaks for three decades and capture its employees' state income taxes for 20 years while promising to create a $120 million program to help meet the online tech giant's workforce needs.

Crain's on Tuesday obtained the nine-page executive summary and 242-page spiral-bound book that businessman Dan Gilbert's companies submitted to Amazon in October in making a joint Detroit-Windsor bid for the online retail and tech giant's second North American headquarters.

The documents lay out an extensive case from Southeast Michigan's business, political and civic leaders on why Amazon should expand in Detroit and Windsor, taking advantage of talent and tax codes on both sides of the Detroit River.

In a letter to Amazon executives that Gilbert attached to the bid, the billionaire mortgage and real estate mogul used a retail sales pitch to the world's largest online retailer, touting "lowest prices," "biggest selection" and "fastest delivery" for office space, much of which has not yet been built.

"As part of the Amazon HQ2 proposal, the state is launching a comprehensive set of ten complementary programs designed to meet the workforce needs of tech companies," the summary document says. "This suite of programs — which will bolster STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) education and increase the number of tech graduates in Michigan — cover a spectrum from K-12 through post-secondary to life-long learning/continuing education."

Included in those programs are scholarships for computer science students; capital investment grants to educational institutions; teacher training funding; apprenticeships; and subsidized child care for tech workers. The proposal says the programs would impact 250,000 people by 2030.

In addition, the HQ2 bid summary says the University of Michigan, Michigan State University and Wayne State University have "committed to collectively design educational programs on campus or nearby to meet Amazon's talent needs."

Among the other aspects of the proposal:

The proposal to Amazon and its CEO, Jeff Bezos, says the company could operate for 30 years without paying real estate and personal property taxes, the city of Detroit's 2 percent corporate income tax or the city's utility users tax under the state's Renaissance Zone Program.

-Other sites specifically mentioned are Northland Center site in Southfield and the New Center area north of downtown.
-DTE Energy Co. and EnWin, Windsor's electric utility, says Amazon's office space in Detroit and Windsor can be powered 100 percent by wind power.
-Mass transit in metro Detroit is portrayed as being poised to "expand significantly in 2018" with the addition of limited-stop express bus service along Grand River Avenue from Detroit to Novi; along Jefferson Avenue from downtown to the Jefferson Chalmers neighborhood; and on Michigan Avenue from downtown to Detroit Metropolitan Airport.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...rogram-transit

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 7:23 PM
Registered Ugly

This is weird in a lot of ways, but what strikes me the most is how spread out the proposed phases are. I am in Seattle a lot and they have a literal campus in South Lake Union that they continue to build and add onto. Amazon higher ups aren't going to want to be moving around to all of these different areas just to conduct its daily operations.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 11:46 PM
The Believer

I wish this proposal hadn't gone public because now I am going to be even more sad if this Amazon thing doesn't happen.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
This is weird in a lot of ways, but what strikes me the most is how spread out the proposed phases are. I am in Seattle a lot and they have a literal campus in South Lake Union that they continue to build and add onto. Amazon higher ups aren't going to want to be moving around to all of these different areas just to conduct its daily operations.
They could always ride the people mover ... But with the nature of the bid being international a separation of the campus is at the heart of the would have to be a direct result of the pitch being made. The "Detroit Water Taxi" in the rivereast hints at one way Gilbert and co. seem to realize that a disjointed campus is a negative so they along with the cities of Detroit and Windsor have a plan for special shuttles that would have a fast pass through the tunnel, how expansive this service would be and whether this would balance out the inconvenience enough to sway Amazon exec's I suppose is anyone's guess.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 8:43 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Looks like the Platform is already bringing down the Big Boys on Jefferson a day after they announced their project.

Well, that was quick. The Platform is already tearing down the Big Boy on Jefferson:

Quote:
Big Boy being demolished to make way for The Platform development

By Annalise Frank | Crain's Detroit Business

December 20, 2017

Able Demolition of Shelby Township began tearing down the Big Boy restaurant on Jefferson Avenue in Detroit Wednesday morning to make way for The Platform LLC's planned 8- to 10-story mixed-use building.

Major demolition and debris load-out should be complete by Friday afternoon, with the rest of the work finishing up Monday, Jake Koresky, vice president of Able Demolition, said in an email Wednesday.
In news that bodes well for Detroit's population...

Quote:
Mich. gets 6th straight year of population growth

By Christine McDonald | The Detroit News

December 20, 2017

More people moved to Michigan than left the state in 2017, leading to its sixth straight year of population growth.

U.S. Census data released Wednesday found that the state’s residents increased by 28,866, or 0.3 percent, to 9,962,311 as of July 2017. That’s the largest jump since 2001.

The data showed more residents moving in than leaving, with net migration at 10,481 people. That’s the first gain since at least 2000, said Kurt Metzger, a demographer and director emeritus of Data Driven Detroit.

“It’s extremely positive,” Metzger said. “This shows Michigan is holding onto more of its residents and attracting others. We are seeing a turnaround. This is the best we’ve done in the last two decades.”

Residents leaving Michigan for other states dropped by about half. In 2016, the census found 26,779 moved out of Michigan compared with 12,698 who left this year. That’s the smallest number of people leaving Michigan for other states since at least 2000.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 11:55 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:

Score hockey memorabilia at the Joe Louis Arena this weekend
Dec 21, 2017 at 10:18 AM by Robin Runyan

We should be saying good-bye for good to the Joe Louis Arena sometime in 2018, as the old hockey arena heads to demo. But before that, the Detroit Red Wings are still trying to get everything out of the building.
Source: https://detroit.curbed.com/2017/12/2...clearance-sale

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 8:30 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:

A Midcentury Shopping Icon Makes Way For the Future
Dec 22, 2017 at 12:00 AM by Amy Crawford

For months, the local papers watched breathlessly as a shopping center of unprecedented proportions rose on the outskirts of Detroit. When Northland Center finally opened in March 1954, they could hardly contain themselves.
Source: https://www.citylab.com/design/2017/...future/548669/

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Great Lakes Tower condos undergoing $3 million renovation

By ANNALISE FRANK
Crain's Detroit Business
December 22, 2017

-93 units in Harbortown's Great Lakes Tower purchased by out-of-state investors, being renovated
-Project to cost $3 million, take about a year and 2 months
-Harbortown-Great Lakes LLC purchased units from Triton Properties Inc.

Great Lakes Tower is a 172-unit, 15-story residential tower in the city's Harbortown community southeast of Elmwood Park, along the riverfront.

The investors, who declined to be named, own the property under Harbortown-Great Lakes LLC, which is registered in Ann Arbor.

The company bought the 93 units in May from a partnership managed by Triton Properties Inc.; the Triton Group of Companies is based in the Denver area and began investing in Detroit in 2009, according to its website.

Triton also recently completed the 134-unit Water's Edge in the Harbortown apartment community and has been renovating apartments at Town Residences in the city's central business district.

About a third of Harbortown-Great Lakes' 93 units are vacant and set to undergo renovation. The rest are occupied under leases — as those expire, they won't be renewed, opening the spaces up to be remodeled. The 79 units not owned by Harbortown-Great Lakes are still owned by individuals, Werner said.

The company expects to finish renovations in a year and two to three months, Werner said.

The project also received approval from the Detroit City Council in early October for a Neighborhood Enterprise Zone tax abatement, which applies to development and rehabilitation of housing in certain disadvantaged city neighborhoods. O'Laughlin estimated the tax break would amount to $1,800 per year for the next 12 years per unit.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ion-renovation

For those wondering the Great Lakes Tower is the tall building on the left (east) side of Harbortown.

http://tritonproperties.com/assets/harbortown.jpg

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Belle Isle garden by renowned designer Piet Oudolf is a go

By SHERRI WELCH
Crain's Detroit Business
December 22, 2017

-Garden designed by internationally known designer Piet Odolf approved for Belle Isle
-He is said to be open to additional Detroit commissions, as well
-Will be present at Detroit Film Theatre screening of film on his work

The island garden will be planted on a 1.5-acre, grassy site near the Nancy Brown Peace Memorial Carillon and the Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory, a site chosen by Oudolf himself during a visit to Detroit earlier this year.

The Dutch-born Oudolf is considered by many to be a modern-day Frederick Law Olmsted, the 19th-century designer credited with much of the original design for Belle Isle, as well as New York City's Central Park. He worked on design of the High Line park in New York City — which transformed an old elevated rail line into a public space — and the Lurie Garden in Chicago.

The Garden Club of Michigan, which led the effort to bring an Oudolf garden to Belle Isle, has raised $150,000 to cover his commission and travel expenses from his home in the Netherlands.

Additional fundraising for the $2.7 million project — which would include an endowment for maintenance and operation — will be led by Oudolf Garden Detroit. Among the group's members are Maura Campbell, immediate past president of the Garden Club and fellow board member Jean Hudson, who've co-chaired the effort to bring Oudolf to Detroit, along with other members of the club and other local supporters.

Set to be planted in 2019, the garden will be designed for year-round visual appeal.

It could be just the first Oudolf garden in Detroit, Campbell said.

The designer "is very excited about coming to the city ... (and) is open ... to doing more than one garden in the city," she said.

There's conversation about a second garden along the riverfront somewhere, Campbell said, and " ... wouldn't it be wonderful if there was another garden in one of the neighborhoods?"

(Piet Oudolf at Lurie Garden in Chicago, one of the gardens he has designed)

During his visit, he'll meet with supporters and the public at a Jan. 4 Detroit Film Theatre screening of "Five Seasons: The Gardens of Piet Oudolf"at 7 p.m.

The film immerses viewers in Oudolf's work and takes them inside his creative process, from his abstract sketches to his theories on beauty and their ecological implications.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...oudolf-is-a-go

Ford has long had a strong presence in the Downriver area but mostly has focused its staff in Dearborn. Don't get me wrong excited about the recent announcement that they are moving employees into what Ford is calling "the factory" its new autonumis R&D facility in Corktown while this Taylor move isn't even permanent kinda had to get stoked on. Never the less its 1,000 employees coming to Taylor from the Ford HQ will only be leasing the two buildings for 10 years while renovations on the HQ and new tech center are being built it's certainly a positive for Taylor and could maybe help bring in new opportunities. For a city which has struggled in the wake of the great recession with loss of manufacturing jobs, office & retail vacancy and along with its image as Taylortucky the quintessential "trashy" downriver city new opportunities. At least more Ford employees in the area will be a boost for local small business.

Quote:
Former Masco HQ in Taylor sells to new ownership

By KIRK PINHO
Crain's Detroit Business
December 22, 2017

-Core Partners/Burton Katzman entity buys former HQ
-Masco moved headquarters to Livonia earlier this year
-Ford Motor Co. is leasing the complex

An entity with ties to Bingham Farms-based real estate companies Core Partners and Burton-Katzman LLC has purchased the former Masco Corp. headquarters complex that will be occupied by Ford Motor Co.

The entity, Core BKG Van Born LLC, closed on the purchase of the two properties totaling about 557,000 square feet on Dec. 13 for an undisclosed price.

Ford is in the process of moving approximately 1,000 employees into the buildings, which were owned by Masco at 21001 and 21111 Van Born Road just north of I-94.

Ford's move, which is part of its 10-year, $1 billion-plus series of renovations to its world headquarters campus in Dearborn, is expected to be complete by the summer. The broader Ford project will bring 30,000 employees from 70 buildings into two locations — a world headquarters and a product campus.

Its lease for the Taylor properties, which are a 415,600-square-foot office building and a 141,000-square-foot former Kmart building, is for 10 years.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-new-ownership

Last edited by Docta_Love; Dec 23, 2017 at 5:51 PM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 3:36 AM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Hmm. I'm not seeing them either.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 6:18 PM

The city really needs a Water Taxi regardless of Amazon, it would be extremely useful.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations