HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
That was a super attractive project. There was no reason to reject that one. They'll end up with something worse, I'm sure. That's why we can't have nice things because communities resist change or don't know when to accept something good when it actually comes along.
How do we know the tower proposal was turned down? By the Historic commission? Hard to believe. I just assumed the owner went with a less expensive direction.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
How do we know the tower proposal was turned down? By the Historic commission? Hard to believe. I just assumed the owner went with a less expensive direction.
Yes, I'm re-reading through the comments but don't see a reason for change in course. Although given the address - a bit north of Temple's campus - City Wide's assessment seems very plausible.

I agree with others, it's a very nice design and, with the right materials, would fit well into our city's most desirable neighborhoods.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 4:55 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Yes, I'm re-reading through the comments but don't see a reason for change in course. Although given the address - a bit north of Temple's campus - City Wide's assessment seems very plausible.

I agree with others, it's a very nice design and, with the right materials, would fit well into our city's most desirable neighborhoods.
Quoting from the PDF:

The Architectural Committee reviewed an earlier application for 2321 N. Broad Street at the 23 October 2018 meeting. The proposal at that time was for a single, nine-story building with 120 apartments. The Committee voted to recommend denial, pursuant to Standards 2, 9 and 10. At the October meeting, Committee members inquired if the owner and architect had explored options for a more modestly sized building on the site. The applicant withdrew their applicant prior to the Historical Commission meeting.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Quoting from the PDF:

The Architectural Committee reviewed an earlier application for 2321 N. Broad Street at the 23 October 2018 meeting. The proposal at that time was for a single, nine-story building with 120 apartments. The Committee voted to recommend denial, pursuant to Standards 2, 9 and 10. At the October meeting, Committee members inquired if the owner and architect had explored options for a more modestly sized building on the site. The applicant withdrew their applicant prior to the Historical Commission meeting.
I love the ambition of the original design but if the new design was the first to come out, I wouldn't complain about. I like that they keep the sight lines to the historic structure but add density to the site.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 2:28 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

2120 E York St (York and Frankford), 53 units and retail. Street front rendering here:

https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/ULqaQ...M/document.pdf

From what I understand there was (or still is) quite a dispute between relatives of the previous owner over this property.

Other new stuff:

3 story, 7 unit building at 2000 Spring Garden

5 story addition at 1115 Frankford to consist of 12 offices, some kind of library or cultural exhibit, and ground floor commercial space.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
2120 E York St (York and Frankford), 53 units and retail. Street front rendering here:

From what I understand there was (or still is) quite a dispute between relatives of the previous owner over this property.
There was a PBJ article on this project yesterday: https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...portunity.html

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Quoting from the PDF:

Wow. Who are these idiots? Why is the city always asking developers to downsize? I don't get it.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Wow. Who are these idiots? Why is the city always asking developers to downsize? I don't get it.
Seems strange to me for the Historic Commission to develop some balls! I guess once a year they have to, just to justify their existence. The developer probably didn't realize that there is a political game that needs to be played.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 10:37 PM

It seems that 1700 Germantown Ave is actually a real thing that is happening??????
https://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/p...19_reduced.pdf

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 10:42 PM

As much as I am for development, that graffiti wall will truly be missed. It has so much history on it.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimshady View Post
As much as I am for development, that graffiti wall will truly be missed. It has so much history on it.
The graffiti wall is part of the development!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 10:59 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Quoting from the PDF:

Quote:
Quote:
Seems strange to me for the Historic Commission to develop some balls! I guess once a year they have to, just to justify their existence. The developer probably didn't realize that there is a political game that needs to be played.
The minutes of the Architectural Committee meeting where the original design was presented are here:

https://www.phila.gov/historical/mee...18%20draft.pdf

I think it's more constructive to actually read, consider and discuss the reasoning behind the Committee's recommendations, rather than call them out ad hominem as idiots, but that's just me.

Note that the Commission staff also recommended against the proposal prior to that. The owner withdrew their first proposal prior to presenting to the full Commission, which does sometimes decide differently than the Committee.

Personally, I prefer the new proposal (which actually was one of 3 ideas the architect considered before going to the Commission). To me the one building design looked somewhat like they were shoving Dropsie College into a tunnel.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 11:09 PM

388 units + retail on 9th St between Girard and Poplar

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfmcshan View Post

388 units + retail on 9th St between Girard and Poplar
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...11#post8481411

I actually made a thread for this! It's tall enough to qualify!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 11:20 PM

What's the name of that area?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post

This one is already under way. The old factory has been demolished and the foundation forms are being laid out currently. It is supposed to be modular construction so it will be interesting to watch rise.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 11:49 PM
Fishtown & Country

^^ Yeah, walked by this a few nights ago and saw that the old building was gone.

It was not a very remarkable building, but it was a working machine shop (until not all that long ago, I believe).

Gonna be harder to get a seat at Martha when this gets done!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 12:25 AM

Billionaire planning contemporary art museum in Fishtown warehouse

"A series of Frankford Avenue warehouses are slated to become a permanent home for the West Collection, a 3,100-piece cache of contemporary art assembled by billionaire Alfred P West, Jr. and his daughter, Angela Paige West.

A construction permit pulled by a company called “Frankford Investment LLC” on Tuesday detailed plans for the building of a five-story addition to a property at 1115-27 Frankford Avenue near Girard Avenue in the city’s Fishtown neighborhood.

The permit also calls for the creation of several floors of “libraries and cultural exhibits,” as well as office space. In a 2017 deed addendum tied to the Frankford Avenue properties, Paige West listed herself as the managing partner of Frankford Investment LLC. She did not immediately return a request for comment.

West Collection is well known for supporting emerging local artists. But it also holds notable works by internationally recognized contemporary artists including minimalist Donald Judd, visual artist Julian Opie and Brazilian artist/photographer Vik Muniz."

More from Plan Philly

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 12:28 AM

^Wow, lots of great news today. Can't wait to check this out. Should be a great addition to the N Delaware Ave/Fishtown area.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 10:23 AM

That museum would certainly place Fishtown on the cultural map more than it is now.

I don't know exactly how it works, but there is some sort of tax break for the ultra wealthy to exhibit their art in museums rather than keep it locked away in warehouses. That might be what is going on here. Whatever the intention, having a cultural destination this far from Center City in a (until recently) working class neighborhood is pretty neat. I imagine some lifelong Fishtown residents will be shaking their head in disbelief over this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development