HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
I think its very strange you hunt youtube videos about tents. There's only more youtube videos about LA because LA is the center of social media influence. 500 views? I doubt it came up in 2 seconds.

If NOVA was, you'd see more videos about the weird shit there. But few people care about it.
Type 'Little Tokyo Homeless'. Third video down. 2 seconds. Keep denying reality mate

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
Type 'Little Tokyo Homeless'. Third video down. 2 seconds. Keep denying reality mate
You keep missing the point. You're spending your time looking for homeless videos.

It's bizarre. And I could show you what venice boardwalk looks like now, but I don't spend my time doing that.

Ok, I looked for little tokyo homeless. There's like 4 videos, all with barely any views. If it were truely a problem, wouldn't get it more attention by these kinds of videos?

A resounding yes.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 4:40 AM

Quote:
You keep missing the point. You're spending your time looking for homeless videos.

It's bizarre. And I could show you what venice boardwalk looks like now, but I don't spend my time doing that.
The question of the thread is what will LA be post-pandemic. My opinion is: nothing good if it doesn't solve its homeless population.

I understand your argument. You make it in every thread: "LA is perfect, and there are no homeless, and anyone who points out any defect about LA will get mocked and attacked endlessly."

You have an insecurity and the best way to set yourself free is to admit LA would be a much better place if it got a hold of its homeless population. Imagine if instead of fixing the crime wave in New York in the 1990s, the city instead told everyone that it didn't exist and everyone who complained about crime was a loser and a hater? That's what you're doing. It's silly if not predictable at this point, but the stats don't lie. LA has a homeless epidemic. I don't know what else to tell you

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
The question of the thread is what will LA be post-pandemic. My opinion is: nothing good if it doesn't solve its homeless population.

I understand your argument. You make it in every thread: "LA is perfect, and there are no homeless, and anyone who points out any defect about LA will get mocked and attacked endlessly."

You have an insecurity and the best way to set yourself free is to admit LA would be a much better place if it got a hold of its homeless population. Imagine if instead of fixing the crime wave in New York in the 1990s, the city instead told everyone that it didn't exist and everyone who complained about crime was a loser and a hater? That's what you're doing. It's silly if not predictable at this point, but the stats don't lie. LA has a homeless epidemic. I don't know what else to tell you
Never said it didn't. I said it's not all over downtown, and it's not.
South Park, Fashion District, Grand Avenue, the Arts district takes up at least 70 percent of greater downtown LA, and there's not much of a homeless problem in those areas.

If you want to lie and say it is, I'll call you a liar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebBhz16yGsI

This was november 2021. Show me all the zombies, homeless in this video.

Here's a famous ny youtuber walking in scary downtown LA when it was quieter last march. Scary indeed. LMAO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPOfflkX-sM&t=1603s

Unlike your one block of little tokyo, these videos I posted are for miles. CHECKMATE

As I've always said, downtown is quieter than it used to be, like any city in America since 2020. And I was just in downtown DC, reston town center, tysons, etc. Even those places are dead.

Last edited by LA21st; Jan 15, 2022 at 5:07 AM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 5:07 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Never said it didn't. I said it's not all over downtown, and it's not.
South Park, Fashion District, Grand Avenue, the Arts district takes up at least 70 percent of greater downtown LA, and there's not much of a homeless problem in those areas.

If you want to lie and say it is, I'll call you a liar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebBhz16yGsI

This was november 2021. Show me all the zombies, homeless in this video.

Here's a famous ny youtuber walking in scary downtown LA when it was quieter last march. Scary indeed. LMAO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPOfflkX-sM&t=1603s

Unlike your one block of little tokyo, these videos I posted are for miles.
Yeah I don't see many homeless at all, and in the video the driver probably covered at least 50 blocks in total. I did see a couple of tents at the 6:00 mark but otherwise, DTLA looks quite clean, and has a good deal more pedestrian activity than the last time I was there. I think all the new housing has injected some life into DTLA that wasn't there before. Broadway used to be just slightly gritty, nothing I wasn't uncomfortable with, but in these recent videos it looks pretty pristine.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Yeah I don't see many homeless at all, and in the video the driver probably covered at least 50 blocks in total. I did see a couple of tents at the 6:00 mark but otherwise, DTLA looks quite clean, and has a good deal more pedestrian activity than the last time I was there. I think all the new housing has injected some life into DTLA that wasn't there before. Broadway used to be just slightly gritty, nothing I wasn't uncomfortable with, but in these recent videos it looks pretty pristine.
When I walk in downtown, this what I usually see. But some people here like to say I'm lying because it doesn't serve their weird narratives.

There's countless of these normal downtown LA videos, probably as much as the one's showing homeless. Are there parts of downtown outside of skid row that have weird characters? Yes. 7th st, pershing square.

But so do most cities. It's not unique to downtown LA. At all. Again, with all the "doom", why does downtown LA have one of the best occupancy apartment rates?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...or-gritty-area

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/busine...4af2e9ab7.html

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 5:22 AM

from 8/30/21 article:

The Downtown Los Angeles economy, long reliant upon its substantial office market, is showing signs of recovery due in large part to its growing and passionate residential population, according to the Downtown Center Business Improvement District’s (DCBID) 2021 Q2 Downtown LA Market Report.

In the absence of the area’s office workers and visitors, DTLA’s permanent residents, estimated at more than 80,000, stayed committed to the neighborhood in support of their local merchants.

According to the report, the DTLA residential occupancy rate is up 4.6% from the year ago quarter and at 89.5% has already surpassed pre-pandemic levels. Residential rental rates continued their climb and are up 1.3% to $3.14 per square foot.

The population continues to attract leading businesses and retailers, the most recent evidence of which was the second-quarter opening of the new Apple Store in the historic and restored Tower Theater.

The extraordinary resilience of the residential market has provided DTLA’s other markets increased confidence and additional time to find their footing. In addition to the opening of Apple Tower Theater, the retail market saw second-quarter arrivals of Chicago’s Girl & the Goat restaurant and second DTLA locations for Shake Shack and Zankou Chicken.

The Apple Tower Theater also brought the company’s new Today at Apple Creative Studios, a global initiative that provides hands-on experience and mentorship to young and often underrepresented creatives.

Having been hit especially hard by the pandemic, the DTLA office and hospitality markets are beginning to show signs of recovery. The office market, despite a growing vacancy rate, experienced increased activity highlighted by Skadden’s lease renewal for 120,000 square feet at One Cal Plaza on Bunker Hill and SteelWave’s $80 million acquisition of The Switchyard creative office campus in the Arts District. And after 16 months of travel restrictions and social distancing mandates, DTLA’s hospitality market showed sustained signs of recovery, with a year-to-date RevPAR up to $55.20, up 35% from the year-ago quarter and the third straight quarter of growth.

“While the report highlights real positive trends, there is still much to be regained, especially in the face of rising Delta variant cases,” said Suzanne Holley, president and CEO of the DCBID.

“But DTLA has proven to be a very resilient market, weathering several economic cycles including the Great Recession. Our residents, retailers and workers have a passion for DTLA that we feel is unique and will benefit the area’s recovery.”

Nick Griffith, DCBID executive director, added, “While our modest gains continue to build confidence in a sustained recovery, it is the enduring commitment that investors are showing that really demonstrates the drawing power and economic viability of DTLA. One look across the Downtown skyline and transformative projects can be found in every district.”

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 5:29 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf8jGwQ3LJk

NY youtuber walking through the Fashion District in August 2021.

So many zombies. Seriously.

Here's his extensive Little Tokyo video, much more accurate. August 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnuid8spcbo&t=1758s

Arts District walking tour August 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMkwZlfCHJQ

Last edited by LA21st; Jan 15, 2022 at 5:42 AM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 5:38 AM
你的媽媽

Regarding the Arts District, I think it feels like it's on an "island", even though it's technically connected to Little Tokyo, because it angles away from DTLA, and is separated largely by Skid Row and the Fashion District.

People generally don't like to walk through Skid Row because there's really nothing there. People are usually okay with walking through the Tenderloin in SF because it's still an actual functioning neighborhood. There's restaurants, clubs, theatres and concert venues, and lots of housing there otherwise, so even though it's not the most comfortable to walk through, there's still reasons to go and hang out there.
https://goo.gl/maps/9q85krKK4hs22f9u9

However with Skid Row, there's just not a lot going on otherwise, so people aren't going to walk from DTLA through Skid Row to get to the Arts District. They're likely to just drive there. So it lacks that connection to inner DTLA.
https://goo.gl/maps/BfLN5FWDJDvSVepX9

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 5:42 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Here's his extensive Little Tokyo video, much more accurate. 8/2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnuid8spcbo&t=1758s

Arts District walking tour 8/2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMkwZlfCHJQ
Yep I've never felt unsafe walking around Little Tokyo or the Arts District. Both very safe, pleasant areas to explore.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 5:58 AM

Not downtown, but since SOME posters here call Venice a dump full of homeless, here's scary Abott Kinney!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRAnbeJCzA4&t=586s

This is right in the middle of Venice.

All these videos are live, no dumb narratives going on.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Regarding the Arts District, I think it feels like it's on an "island", even though it's technically connected to Little Tokyo, because it angles away from DTLA, and is separated largely by Skid Row and the Fashion District.

People generally don't like to walk through Skid Row because there's really nothing there. People are usually okay with walking through the Tenderloin in SF because it's still an actual functioning neighborhood. There's restaurants, clubs, theatres and concert venues, and lots of housing there otherwise, so even though it's not the most comfortable to walk through, there's still reasons to go and hang out there.
https://goo.gl/maps/9q85krKK4hs22f9u9

However with Skid Row, there's just not a lot going on otherwise, so people aren't going to walk from DTLA through Skid Row to get to the Arts District. They're likely to just drive there. So it lacks that connection to inner DTLA.
https://goo.gl/maps/BfLN5FWDJDvSVepX9
I really don't know why people bring Skid Row up. Most Angeleno's don't bother going there like you said. There's no reason to. It doesn't affect with 99 percent of our daily lives.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Not downtown, but since SOME posters here call Venice a dump full of homeless, here's scary Abott Kinney!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRAnbeJCzA4&t=586s

This is right in the middle of Venice.

All these videos are live, no dumb narratives going on.
Just a head's up, they all just moved to the side streets off Rose.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9967...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9963...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
They were never on Abott Kinney. Never. And that's a live video.

Those videos I posted PROVED YOU WRONG. TOO BAD. There's a gazillion more.

Your google images are from 2020 again. They cleared the boardwalk and beaches months ago. I was there myself.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 6:37 AM

Haters gonna hate. There's really no reason to feed the trolls, guys--they have their agendas, and they are going to doggedly push those agendas on this forum no matter what you post.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 6:40 AM

Sure, they can. And I'll keep putting these videos up from now on.
And it won't change their hatred. They're likely miserable.

Crickets from the bored Virginia guy.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 7:44 AM

Quote:
Sure, they can. And I'll keep putting these videos up from now on.
And it won't change their hatred. They're likely miserable.

Crickets from the bored Virginia guy.
As long as you feed the trolls, they will hijack threads like this one. Think about what you want to see on the forum, and act accordingly.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 8:11 PM

Quote:
I really don't know why people bring Skid Row up. Most Angeleno's don't bother going there like you said. There's no reason to. It doesn't affect with 99 percent of our daily lives.
Wow, talk about unapologetic privilege. You don’t care about skid row because it doesn’t involve you- this is literally the definition of privilege.

Skid row is a huge issue. That’s why people bring it up. If you deny that, you need a reality check. No place in the developed world should have thousands of people at risk of catching formerly eradicated disease due to the filth and squalor that you find in Skid Row, and lots of other encampments that grow like cancerous tumors around Los Angeles. You can’t ignore cancer, like you are suggesting in your quote above.

This “me, me, me”, narcissistic personality is literally why LA is so much worse off than nearly any other major city in the country in regards to its homeless pandemic. It’s everywhere. The politicians simply do not care, and do nothing meaningful to actually solve the problem of mental health and substance abuse. In fact, it almost feels like the politicians are happy to assist in the destruction of lives, providing alcohol and drug money to the poor souls that you see living in their own excrement.

And it’s mind blowing that a group here refuses to even recognize the issue. Unfortunately I don’t see this issue ever being solved. The people might even like the misery that they see these people living in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Haters gonna hate.
Yeah, people should hate what they’re seeing. It’s nothing to be proud or envious of. Los Angeles is naturally beautiful but it’s completely trashed and looks like an open air dump in many parts of town. Yeah, I hate that.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 8:22 PM
Dryer lint inspector

If DTLA doesn't end up looking like this, I will be disappointed..

Old Posted Jan 15, 2022, 8:52 PM

[QUOTE=bossabreezes;9504375]Wow, talk about unapologetic privilege. You don’t care about skid row because it doesn’t involve you- this is literally the definition of privilege.

Skid row is a huge issue. That’s why people bring it up. If you deny that, you need a reality check. No place in the developed world should have thousands of people at risk of catching formerly eradicated disease due to the filth and squalor that you find in Skid Row, and lots of other encampments that grow like cancerous tumors around Los Angeles. You can’t ignore cancer, like you are suggesting in your quote above.

This “me, me, me”, narcissistic personality is literally why LA is so much worse off than nearly any other major city in the country in regards to its homeless pandemic. It’s everywhere. The politicians simply do not care, and do nothing meaningful to actually solve the problem of mental health and substance abuse. In fact, it almost feels like the politicians are happy to assist in the destruction of lives, providing alcohol and drug money to the poor souls that you see living in their own excrement.

And it’s mind blowing that a group here refuses to even recognize the issue. Unfortunately I don’t see this issue ever being solved. The people might even like the misery that they see these people living in.

Yeah, people should hate what they’re seeing. It’s nothing to be proud or envious of. Los Angeles is naturally beautiful but it’s completely trashed and looks like an open air dump in many parts of town. Yeah, I hate that.[/QUOT

Uh, that's no different from people in any other city on earth. You're trying to pretend people in la are different because your weird personal reasons.

Austin has a massive homeless problem. They said the same thing people in la do. "It's only downtown" or whatever.
Same for Chicago posters about crime on this forum.
"It's only in pockets ".

Last edited by LA21st; Jan 15, 2022 at 9:07 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions